• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

TKila

Smash Apprentice
Versus MK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WUg8XMINUE

What the **** that mk XD anyway....

why u r trying to grab when he is in the air xD?

in that fight you should see that he always use 6 jumps n go back so was very PREDECIBLE >_>
u have to notice that :)

anyway when u r under a tornado atack try to sshield up that will protect you :)

in the part you lose your sheild and was dizzy D: why u didnt prepare your DI >>_> you coul survive that >_>

APartofNothing

Smash Apprentice
Ok-First of all the snake didn't play the matchup right. Olimar flat out camps Snake. So I am going to give you advice when/if you play a snake that plays the matchup right

First of all, the Snake vs Oli matchup (in my experience) is at midrange most of the time.
Oli outcamps snake, so therefore snake has to approach. He will beat out your short hopped pikmin throws with dash attack, so if you do get in the air they will punish. He can also dash attack between grabs. In this matchup you have to throw out grabs carefully as they can be punished. Most snakes finish the ftilt on shield, you can punish that.

Ok, now about your Olimar. I would reccomend using the colors for the purposes more, I know its hard for a campy Olimar but use your grabs and sidesmashes more carefully. Make sure when you throw out a blue grab it has a decent chance of hitting, don't just throw out walls of pikmin when you feel rushed.

On another note, I commend you for keeping your cool when your opponent came back. That always makes me flustered. ;)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Late critique for Slain's videos:

Like Asa said, don't try to grab so much against an air camping MK, it isn't going to do a whole lot. Look for openings to land an up smash, it's a much better idea.

Don't use your jump so soon after getting hit off stage. I might have told you this before, but save it until you get about stage height and ues it when you use your whistle.

Nice catch at 1:50. Do that a lot.

Don't up throw until you know it's going to kill. It's your kill throw.

At 2:46 you had an opportunity for a free dsmash. Do that.

What I like to do after a dthrow when they DI it away from you, is dthrow -> fox trot towards them, and then wait. See what they do. Sometimes you can land an up smash, catching their air dodge, sometimes you can land a regrab. The best part is it gives you insight on their reactions.

Don't forward or back throw with anything but blues.

Work on your dthrow combos. You're missing a lot of fairs/usmashes and that shouldn't be happening.

Whistle whenever you jump. It cost you your second stock against the marth. You jumped and he just came up and hit you out of your jump. That's what whistle's for.

When you were falling on your third stock without your jump, you were close enough to where you could attack marth with a far as you fell, and still have time to tether to the stage. Also, if you hadn't whistled, you could have uair'd one more time and pikmin tossed twice and the second pikmin toss would have been purple, which would have knocked him off the ledge. The three pikmin you would have had left would have been enough to get back on the stage. But that would have been a lot more risky and clutch.

Forward smash is mostly use to counter approaches and space. If the opponent (Marth) is already in, or at the diagonal, to where if you forward smash, he can easily punish, don't fsmash, lol. Regain your spacing or use fair/usmash/something else.

DON'T FORWARD THROW WITH REDS/YELLOWS/WHITES.

Tell this marth kid not to use shield breaker to get back to the stage against Olimar.

He's jumping around you a lot, with empty short hops. Up smash.

Don't sit in the air for so long at a time when getting back on stage. Get to the ledge or get a stable positioning.

When marth is off stage, pressure him with falling fsmashes. Either one will hit him or it'll limit his recovering options, giving you a chance to mess him up.

Forward/Back throwing with blues is okay. Mostly because it deals 13/14 respectively. Also because it'll oftentimes give you a positional advantage. In other words, it sends them off stage and you can regain stage control.

okay kirby time *cracks knuckles*

Against Kirby's fthrow -> uair -> backwards utilt (gonzo combo), mash whistle. You'll whistle the uair and fast fall on to the stage. Mash A for a guaranteed jab. Yes that is what I said I'll say it again A FULL GUARATEED JAB.

Whenever you have a purple up front, short hop pikmin toss it. You're grounded pikmin tossing and fsmashing with them and that's just not doing the job.

Stay mobile more. Hang out in the air, if you have to. If Kirby isn't floating nearby, there isn't a whole lot he can do about it. Just don't land near him so much.

1:06: LOLLLLLLL

Fsmash more against kirby when he starts to approach.

The ledge is your friend. You don't always have to land on stage when recovering.

With the halberd laser, the last hit on it is a lot bigger than the rest. So if you're sorta close but it's not hitting you, it will.

3:42: Up throw with the purple would have won you the game.

Stop landing near kirby. It's the only reason you're getting hit so much.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
My set against Mr. E (not Mister Eric) at the tournament a couple of weeks ago. I play pretty sloppy in these sets (I roll a lot, lol) and I'm not asking for critique, just thought I'd share. For those that want to see some tarzaning, I do it quite a bit in the first video, haha.

Game two wasn't recorded, but it was his win on Frigate. The Halberd video is... just watch it. I was shaking after the last stock, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myT0OM8Jrfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYsl5JLPSM

TKila

Smash Apprentice
My set against Mr. E (not Mister Eric) at the tournament a couple of weeks ago. I play pretty sloppy in these sets (I roll a lot, lol) and I'm not asking for critique, just thought I'd share. For those that want to see some tarzaning, I do it quite a bit in the first video, haha.

Game two wasn't recorded, but it was his win on Frigate. The Halberd video is... just watch it. I was shaking after the last stock, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myT0OM8Jrfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYsl5JLPSM

I enjoyed Watching ur Videos D:

xD

the first one: Wow i learn something today :D XD OlimarTarzan :D Nice :) defintly i will copy that from you XD (gameplay)

Second one: first stock.............. FAAAAILTALITY >__________> was so LOL xD

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah I don't even know what happened first stock, lol. I just pulled back too hard after tethering, felt pretty dumb. Last stock was one of the most clutch moments of my life, though, haha.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I got a little too confident in my ability to be able to take that last stock off before you accumulated too much damage and killed me first. ;(

hooray videos, shame we didn't get the one I WON :facepalm:

Blissard

Smash Lord
I love how Hilt's videos of his **** are always in terrific quality <3

I'm surprised that the Usmash hit when you rolled behind ROB in Stock 2, Game 2. Btw is it ever a good option to roll behind the enemy?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Watching game 2. Right off the bat I saw you accidentally standing grab the opposite direction of Dr. Doom, idk if that was just a misunderstanding of direction or a failed pivot grab, but if you always use the boost grab you can't make that mistake (nor the one where you accidentally roll)

Very good use of empty SH's to bait him.

You're a bit predictable off the ledge. I know it's a sucky place to be for Olimar, but 90, if not 100, percent of the time you dropped down from the ledge and tried to do something. You lost your first stock because of it.

Try to learn how to fall through a platform while in shield. It's a bit difficult to learn at first, but I find it very helpful as you can normally punish people attacking your shield from below with a fair. It's something I've been working on more recently.

You move pretty linear in the air, which sometimes works to your advantage but also hurts you as well. For instance those empty SHs I was talking about earlier, your linear air movement works very well in this situations. However, after you've been hit or whenever you're under pressure you seem to move in a straight line, which helps your opponent line up their attacks (makes sense right). Sometimes you can even bait your opponent when under pressure just by simply mixing up the direction you move when in the air. I didn't really realize this until I read Rich's blog on landing, but it really works. Note: don't always switch up your direction with whistle bounces... even though it's more effective to change the direction of your momentum that way, it's a 20 frame "tell" (think poker) on what you're doing. I'm sure you understand what I'm saying though... I'm just being extra wordy, lol.

Overall you looked pretty solid though. Dr. Doom needs to work on those turn around jabs... for some reason he rarely misses them against me, but you had those hard core walmart combos going on unpunished XD

Asa

Smash Hero
0:57 - would`ve liked to see a harder punish on ddd`s up-b
1:18 - why did you DI back into him? :S
1:26 - bad punish :(
1:47 - >_>

only habit i noticed was that you airdodged often when ddd dthrew you. i'm assuming that was just a missed tech though

probably should punish ddd's landings more with pivot grabs and usmashes, or try to bait an inhale and punish that.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Thanks for the help. What's the best way to punish D3's landings though? I tried uair at first and like you said, it wasn't that great of a punish. Dair was even worse since I was actually punished for doing it. :l Should I just stay on the ground and up smash?

Asa

Smash Hero
if you catch his up-b, i'd dthrow to put him back up into the air, or dmsash. spike also works, but land it :p

grabs usmash and fsmash work well to get ddd's landing

TKila

Smash Apprentice
Guys I Will Like you to see This videos was

GRAND FINALS TOUR OZ: Barranquilla

Olimar vs MK

Plz Help me to see how i can fight this MK, because i play others n i feel good playing the match but not to Sky :(

http://cobrawlers.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/12641612-tour-o-z-gf-sky-metaknight-vs-tkila-olimar-1-3

http://cobrawlers.webs.com/apps/vid...our-o-z-gf-sky-metaknight-vs-tkila-olimar-2-3

http://cobrawlers.webs.com/apps/vid...our-o-z-gf-sky-metaknight-vs-tkila-olimar-3-3

Thx Help Mee!!! :(

Add: If u want to talk about the MK i will like to hear what u think about him :) Thx :)

Asa

Smash Hero

Olimar vs MK

Plz Help me to see how i can fight this MK, because i play others n i feel good playing the match but not to Sky :(

http://cobrawlers.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/12641612-tour-o-z-gf-sky-metaknight-vs-tkila-olimar-1-3
first off, thank god you have good quality videos, now i can actually focus on the match XD

0:07: make your dthrow combos second nature. what happened?
0:27: you rushed in with 0 pikmin to back you up.
0:49: this may just be a personal thing, but when i have a purple, i never let it go. it's not like hitting him with a purple offstage will do much. save it for onstage and killing.
0:51: for the glide attack it would be better to nair it.
1:57: don't bthrow with yellows.

couple other points:
you seemed to be caught off guard often when mk used nado off the ledge.
you also have a habit of dairing when you're trying to land. sky didn't punish it, but it's definitely there to punish.

0:16 - that was a poor place to atk. you whiffed the attack, but even if you hit his shield he still would've grabbed you, putting you in a gimpable situation really quick. You also used your jump a little early in this situation, you should've taken a lot more damage than you did.
0:20 - he's beginning to take advantage of those predictable dairs.
0:49 - another bad position to be in: high in the sky at a good percent, without a jump >.>

you're also momentum cancelling when there is no need to, that's just gonna get you punished more.
Again, I really am against throwing purples off stage when there's no need to. Don't treat your moniques so poorly. Puprles won't stop mk planking lol.

2:07 - so many rolls >.>
2:11 - what happened with the grab?
2:47 - you were high enough that you didn't need to use your second jump. now you don't have your jump >.> sky messed up, you really should've lost your stock there.

Asa

Smash Hero
Your main problem is that your landings are easy to read and punish. You just come straight down and either whistle a bunch or you dair. Also, you seem to have problems with nado. Grounded up-b can do wonders.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
whistle though nados (even when your in the nado, you can whistle)

stop trying to beat mk's attacks

move more

in the air, use more aggressive options

pivot grabs, running smashes are very important

stop using airdodges, shielding, and roll some more

play faster, honestly, you play boringly slow (so does the MK...but thats why he should be easy)

i only watched a few minutes, but these were my impressions

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497

Olimar vs MK

http://cobrawlers.webs.com/apps/vid...our-o-z-gf-sky-metaknight-vs-tkila-olimar-2-3

1. One thing I noticed was that you seem to gravitate toward Meta when you're going to land.
You really don't want to land near him. If you're forced to, remember that you can footstool (which can be a good option if he's waiting to in his shield for a laggy move to punish).

2. Too much Dair. Nair, Whistle bounce, Whistle -> Nair, air dodge are other options.
Dair should just be used as a mix-up.

3. On the PS1, tech the windmill or the floor. I only remember you teching the floor once when you were getting bounced.

4. You roll a bit too much.

5. At one point in the second movie, you threw your entire line offstage. You should really try to sort out what you want instead of just throwing EVERYTHING, especially against someone that can kill Pikmin as easily as Metaknight.

Asa

Smash Hero

1. One thing I noticed was that you seem to gravitate toward Meta when you're going to land.
You really don't want to land near him. If you're forced to, remember that you can footstool (which can be a good option if he's waiting to in his shield for a laggy move to punish).

i never thought about footstooling O.o thanks!

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
only watched first vid so far and you are doing excellent, you are getting better very quick! I'd just say when you have that many purples at the end you can charge up smash when he is spamming tornado like that and the purple up smash will go through tornado if you time it right, its not that hard to get down once you get it one or two times, ill watch the other 2 vids later and help some more on it, good job though im proud :)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ok, before i critique you, lemme just stroke my ego and say holynightmare is so bad and whoring tornado like that should only work on wifi and he should be a joke to beat IRL so IDK how you two made it to WFs

ok, now, suggestions

-play more offensively, i kept hearing that little roll and airdodge noise by olimar ALL match, your a character with fast safe powerful attacks that **** MK up close when he isnt' throwing an attack, and only when he has you spaced correctly are you unable to throw ludicrous attacks out...for example near 4:40 on BF i saw you get daired off stage because you up-Bed when you could of easily saved your pikmin, used an upair, then survive, and all those punished airdodges that could of been dairs instead, or whistles that should of been followed with nair...ITS DISGUSTING

-stop getting scared, while this goes hand-in-hand to play more offense,im particularly worried that everytime holy spawned, you ran away, shielded, got shield grabbed, DIed towards him, took more damage, and lost all momentum

-side-b is useless vs. MK if its not white or purple, re-watch these matches and note all the times you got punished for using side-b, ESPECIALLY BY TORNADO...YOU EVEN GOT EDGEGAURDED/ HIT WHILE OFFSTAGE A FEW TIMES FOR OVER USING SIDE-B

-learn to whistle nado...like seriously, if your in tornado, just whistle and you will fall through and be able to punish him. Also, you need lots of nado help in general, a few other tips:mix up shielding nado and JUMPING OVER NADO THEN FASTFALLING BEFORE HOLY CAN DO SOMETHING, nice nado grabbing, keep it up, try to hit him during the startup of nado with upsmash more, keep up-b as a rare mixup or for use when the nado is telegraphed, last game you did up-b a little too much once you got confident with it and died very early as a result, and a little dabuz trick that dabuz has trouble applying: yellow fsmash will beat nado if it hits the bottom of nado

-focus more on punishing, while its obvious your trying, i think you should be focusing more on getting ready to punish so you don't miss opportunities

-stop shielding if its not nado, i know it sounds weird, but shielding lets MK get into good positioning and wastes away your best way to counter nado

-spotdodge more, i don't think you used a spotdodge that whole set but its perfect to set up an uptilt->upair

-fastfall nair->uptilt more, i say uptilt becasue its guaranteed unlike upsmash/ dsmash, but you can use those two as well if holy doesn't know how to DI it correctly, and you missed a lot of good nair moments

-mix up high and low recoveries, i noticed you took a middle-low approach almost every time you recovered, bad idea

-move a lot more, if you keep moving always, even if doing nothing whilst moving, it makes hitting olimar's small body very hard

thats my advice, listen or keep losing

Top Bottom