• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Traveling on the Wings of Destiny: A Guide to Out-of-State Tournament Travel Prep.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Yea I know that title is kind of cliche but whatever...lol

Anyway, I noticed alot of people with horrible planning habits or an inability to plan at all so I decided this will be my first BIG CONTRIBUTION TO THE PIT BOARDS!

OK so you just saw [Insert SUPER DUPER AWESOME TOURNEY] and you are sitting at your computer like "OH, **** YEA I'M GOING!", but than it hits you, YOU DONT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO GET THERE!!

Welp, This is the guide for you! I will break down the vital steps in making your trip carefree and Easy for you and the people traveling with you.

1. SECURE YOUR RIDE
if are the Drive than this is already done but if you are not the driver then you need to FIND THAT DRIVER. Remember the earlier you find a ride the better. if you wait to long you will definitely either be riding B***h or not riding at all. Easiest way to find a ride is to obviously ask around. either it be in person over text or on the boards just secure that ride.

now if you are flying or taking a bus its always best to fly/bus in groups so if you are from the EC and you are flying to Cali/bussing to some other EC place, find people that are also flying/bussing and plan accordingly to get on the same plane/bus and ride out together. this cut's down the hassle of plane/bus ride and the hassle of getting a cab when you get to the destination. (assuming you didn't find someone to pick you up from the airport/bus station)

once you secure that ride......

2. BE COURTEOUS TO THE DRIVER.

the Last thing you want to do is piss the driver off...thats the fastest way to getting kicked out of a car or never getting a ride from that driver again. As a driver, I will let you in on a few tips to secure those rides for future event's

A. Run off of the drivers time.
If you guys are going to a 2 day tournament (Saturday and sunday) and the Driver says he Is leaving Friday and coming back monday,i f you can't fit into that schedule than you may need to find another driver. Don't be that guy that's all "hey, man, I have work on Monday soooooooo..." YOU LAY THAT SCHEDULE OUT BEFORE HAND! You and the driver need to communicate the whole weekend before you even begin to pack so that why there will be know shenanigans halfway through the trip.

B. During the trip actions.
DO NOT ASK FOR REPEATED BREAKS! If the driver stops for gas and you are hungry,mention it then. Dont' mention it 10 minutes after you guys get back on the road with a full tank and expect him to pull off again. Also, EMPTY YOUR PERSONAL TANK BEFORE YOU GET IN THE CAR AND AT GAS STATIONS!. one things that really pisses me off is when I just filled up and like 30 minutes later someone is like "Oh S**T DUDE I GOTTA TAKE A S**T!" which forces me to pull off into yet another gas station with a seemingly full tank again just so a certain passenger doens't F**k Up my upholstery. and Lastly STAY UP FOR THE MOST OF THE TRIP! now this one is flexible and Kind of depends on how many people are actually in the car. If it is you and 3 other people, Nap that S**t Up! But, if it is you and 1 other person, or you and just the driver...try to stay up for atleast half the trip. The driver doesn't have the luxury of napping because he is driving and believe me, after driving for so long, it starts to get boring. Do what ever you can to stay up if you are a chronic car napper. Play your DS, play your psp, play your ipod touch, make conversation. just DON'T GET INTO THE CAR AND FALL ASLEEP IN THE FIRST 10 MINUTES!

and Lastly

3.PACKING!
This is Probably the most crucial part...You don't want to be THAT GUY who ran out of underwear because you rush packed. A rule I always go by is, how ever many days I will be gone, pack atleast one extra outfit. Meaning if I am going to a 2 Day tournament I pack 3-4 outfits. a full outfit includes:
a.Shirt
b.Pant
c.Shoes
d.Underwear
e.Socks
Next, DON'T FORGET YOUR ESSENTIAL!. essentials being
a. Deodorant
b. Soap/Shampoo
c. toothbrush/toothpaste
d. Grooming stuff (brushes, combs.)
Lastly Don't forget the LEGIT IMPORTANT STUFF. The stuff that you actually need for the tourney.
a. Money
b. ID
C. Wii (if you are brining setup) + all the cords
D. Controller

It's always good to pack in a suitcase or a little travel bag and then have an extra backpack with you to carry the stuff you will need throughout the day.

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT...A (QUICK) GUIDE TO TRAVELING!!!

any questions ASK AWAY!! I'll be sure to answer to the best of my ablities!

-TKO

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
lol, so true. Luckily, I'm well traveled so I know what to do, but it's the scheduling that I have issues w/.

Top Bottom