• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Traveling to 1st National, Need Prep Advice

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
So,

I registered for my first national tournament in any fighting game ever (Low Tier City 4 in Dallas), but I am unsure of where to start as far as training and stuff goes for Smash (I am a multi-year veteran of traditional fighting games though). I thought I would post my regiment and see what could be improved upon with less than a month until the tournament. I currently work 40 hours a week for a ISP in their call center and have three days off right now.

Regiment:

Saturday night/Sunday - get home from work and hop on For Glory until about 1am Sunday morning, then wake up around 10-11am and warm up against Lvl 9 CPUs before hopping back online for a couple of hours. Usually in this period I will spend anywhere from 6-8 hours in For Glory, taking breaks when I can. I main Rosalina and have Cloud as a secondary.

Tuesday/Wednesday - wake up and basically do the same thing as the aforementioned.

Thursday (occasionally) - I will go after work and practice with the local scene (I work 45 minutes away from home, but there is a small, tight-knit scene in the town I work in). I will normally play with them about an hour, then drive home to sleep.

I have not been able to make locals because I work 2nd shift on Saturdays (that's changing a couple weeks before the tournament though, and I plan on going to at least one local before LTC). So, what I am looking for is advice on how to best focus my training time and effort into a shorter time span weekly (so instead on spending 24-26 hours a week playing, I want to slim that to between 10-12 hours weekly if at all possible). I know that my first national is supposed to be a learning experience ... blah blah blah, I just don't want all the effort that I put in to go to waste or be in vain.

Suggestions are welcome, and if you're planning on going to Low Tier City ... I'll give you a hug (and maybe play a set with you in the friendlies room!)

Top Bottom