• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tree-Grabbing revealed! (New powerful trick)

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
I recently figured out a very powerful grabbing tactic. I want to see how this changes the smash community.

Introducing Tree-Grabbing!

During your run animation hit:
1. Down.
2. The same direction you are running.
3. Pivot the opposite way.
4. Grab.

This tactic allows you to grab behind you during your run animation. You can use it both offensively and defensively with incredibly results.

Make sure you do all steps as quickly as possible.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
pretty much dash cancel then pivot into a grab? you could just wavedash forward, turn around, and grab. but i suppose if you got good enough at this then youd be able to grab with giving your opponent less notice that youre doing something. still, its not necessary to pivot the grab, you can just dashdance and JC your grab. i dont know how much of a difference the 1 frame shorter pivoting would make it.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Do you slide the joystick down and then back to the side, or do you let it fall back in its neutral position before changing the direction?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
pretty much dash cancel then pivot into a grab? you could just wavedash forward, turn around, and grab. but i suppose if you got good enough at this then youd be able to grab with giving your opponent less notice that youre doing something. still, its not necessary to pivot the grab, you can just dashdance and JC your grab. i dont know how much of a difference the 1 frame shorter pivoting would make it.
Umm you can't dash dance while you are running lol.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
I recently figured out a very powerful grabbing tactic. I want to see how this changes the smash community.

1. Down.
4. Grab.

This tactic allows you to grab behind you during your run animation. You can use it both offensively and defensively with incredibly results.

So, let me try to get this straight...

Say you are running right, all you have to do is tap down, right, left, and then grab?
Is the CC animation supposed to be finished before you tilt forward? sort of like the BXR combo in halo where it cuts lag and goes straight from one thing to another? Or is this just CC then pivot grab?

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
YouTube video would help, but I'm not sure how useful this is. To CC your run you need to out of the dash animation, so automatically you have to be running for a little bit. And I really can't see a use for this unless it's running through someone then grabbing behind you.

Definitely need a video though.

Edit -- Just do what he says run, then once your out of the dash animation, slam down, then forward, then back. It should looks like you crouch for a split second out of your run then do a standing grab behind you (not a running grab). It works best with characters with a short dash range, i.e. Sheik, Fox, Falco, etc., not so good with Falcon, Marth, etc.

I'm still not convinced its a good tactic though, or even usable in competitive play.

Didn't see FLT posted this though, that adds some validity to the method.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer

1. Down.
4. Grab.

This is just a crouch-cancelled run into a pivot grab. This is not new, special, and certainly not "community-changing". This does not allow you to grab behind you during your run animation, it's a way of stopping your run animation and grabbing out of one dash dance. It's not a bad idea, but it's nothing new, and in most cases, it would be more effective to "grab behind you" during a run by simply just crouch-cancelling, and then hitting behind + grab, without the unnecessary pivot.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
phanna's right. I didn't even know what a pivot grab was when you posted it, but I understand it now, and that's exactly what this is. However, I do think it's *slightly* faster, than CC to grab behind you, though.

Zgetto

Smash Ace
it would be more effective to "grab behind you" during a run by simply just crouch-cancelling, and then hitting behind + grab, without the unnecessary pivot.
what your saying isnt possible or atleast slower.
when you hit behind you right after the CC the character(i tried with fox) wil go in a turning animation or something and when you try to grab then it just grabs forwards.(correct me if im wrong)
so you have dash forwards after the CC and then back to grab backwards.

its a nice idea and well found but i dont think its gonna change the community much.
its a great mindgame to run past someone and grab him in the back while hes blocking.
(somethin like the running past someone CC then forwards smash him from behing thing =p)

edit: FLT, you have vid or something with someone doing the trick? im wondering if im doing it right

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
From a technical standpoint, this isn't difficult at all and could be easily performed in a match. Actually getting the grab on someone is the hard part.

Light

Smash Journeyman
I think that this has alot of spacing/mindgame applications. For instance, instead of running up to a standing opponent to grab, run past them and quickly grab from behind.

Other ideas
Run -> CC -> Pivot -> Fair (knee)
Run -> CC -> Pivot -> JC Upsmash (Fox)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I tried this yesterday and its fun with falcon lol.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
just wondering is that the real FLT who posted this. like the pro Marth player FLT cuz i havent herd about or seen him since the last FC.

Yes that is him..And he is Fox/Marth not just marth. He doesn't go to many out of state tournaments.

Mosk

Smash Cadet
Considering you can jump out of the dashing and running frames I'd rather just wavedash to dashforward-pivot/dashback JC-Grab.

technomancer

Smash Champion
If you dash cancel can't you just hold back and immediately grab to reverse grab?

Pivot grabbing is tight though, I try to Foxtrot (or sloppy foxtrot) everything so I can always bust out a dashdance or a pivot.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The thing about tree grabbing is that it allows you to stay in your running animation the entire time where as everything else is slower and makes you stop. That's what I percieve anyways.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
This is just a crouch-cancelled run into a pivot grab. This is not new, special, and certainly not "community-changing". This does not allow you to grab behind you during your run animation, it's a way of stopping your run animation and grabbing out of one dash dance. It's not a bad idea, but it's nothing new, and in most cases, it would be more effective to "grab behind you" during a run by simply just crouch-cancelling, and then hitting behind + grab, without the unnecessary pivot.
Your a meanie.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Isn't this similar to reverse jump canceled grabs? I read the first post and it seems like he is talking about while in the dash animation as opposed to the run animation.

If not and he is talking about the normal run animation, how does this compare to simply canceling the run and turning around and grabbing? I'm assuming FLT's method is faster, but has anyone checked into it?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I was just at a tournament with FLT and all of you are probably doing this wrong...you would have to see it really.

It is during the run animation...You HAVE to be in your running animation. This will not work in your dash animation.

Here is what it looks like when he does it. He showed us with marth.

He would start running and then basically just grab behind him while running. Thats what it looked like. You can barely see him crouch and he doesn't really pivot because he doesn't dash again he just immediately grabs behind him. It's insane. Phanna was completely wrong....

The way FLT described it was that when you crouch you slide some..during the slide he basically turns around and does whatever..and you don't even have to grab..you can say do a fair...so you can be running away from someone and instead of stopping and turning around and fairing which takes forever you would just immediatly fair backwards...

You really have to see it.

Adi

Smash Lord
What is the application of this beyond mindgames, and even so, how often is a competent (sp?) player going to let you run through you like that.

Yes a video of the uses of this would be in a due order =P.

Velox

Smash Ace
This is useful.

For those that are still confused (I don't know how), it's mainly used to camp like a hoe.

If Fox overshoots a fullhoped n-air at you, and you are Marth, you can just run away.
Then you can do the move so that you are able to grab the Fox after he's done with his approach (which in this case, is when the Fox lands after the n-air). Well... with the full hoped n-air the Fox would be able to get away before you could grab him... but you get the idea.

That's good defense.

Course there's offensive applications as well, that are more obvious.

FLT could have used this at FC6... course I have no doubt Tink/M2K would have just overshoot u-smashes/dash attacks/n-air to the edge of the stage, thereby not giving FLT enough space to utilize this, heh...

***Edit, Yes this is much faster, as well as more accurate (spacing wise) than the dash -> crouch -> reverse grab.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
... He showed us with marth.

He would start running and then basically just grab behind him while running. Thats what it looked like. You can barely see him crouch and he doesn't really pivot because he doesn't dash again he just immediately grabs behind him. It's insane. Phanna was completely wrong....
You just said the same thing phanna said then said he was completely wrong. That confuses me but w/e. To clear up something for everyone, when marth runs his body is leaning forward so when you crouch while running you don't notice much as other characters.

I do this with Samus and couldn't figure out why my character didn't look like a constant run then grab. I then tried it with marth then poof, looks like I didn't even crouch. I consider the move really useful, not just with grabs but in general.

Running, crouching, then pivoting gets moves out quicker than wavedashing and (for me) is more precise for the spacing. Thanks FLT for sharing this w/ the community.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I'm going to try to be as polite as I can to correct your ignorance, which is somewhat hard since you're being a **** about it.

It is during the run animation...You HAVE to be in your running animation. This will not work in your dash animation.
Of course it wouldn't work in your dash animation; you can't crouch-cancel your dash. If you want to grab behind you in your dash, you just do a normal pivot-grab. Do you even read what you write?

Phanna was completely wrong....
Yeah okay chief:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6OsFK0ce4E

I was right before, and I'm still right.

Let me break it down by frames:

• 001 - 015 DASH Takes 15 frames (quarter second).
    [*]016 - XXX RUN However far you want.

From your run, you start the move:

[*]X01 - X01 RUNBRAKE 1 frame long, happens when you hit down to start the move.
    [*]X02 - X08 CROUCH Starting on 6th frame you can hit forward again, which will happen after frame 7 at the earliest.
    [*]X09 - X12 DASH Starting on the 3rd frame you can hit behind you to pivot, which will happen after frame 4 at the earliest.
    [*]X13 - X13 TURN This is the pivot frame, in which you should grab. It'll perform your normal standing grab, facing behind where you were previously running.
    [*]X14 - XYZ CATCH If you dash-grab, you hit grab too late and missed the pivot and did it when you started running back.

Tree-Grabbing = Run. Crouch-Cancel. Pivot Grab. Nothing new.

From your run, it takes 13 frames from when you initially hit down until your grab will start, if you do it as fast as possible.

It is useful, mostly to run past someone's shield and catch them off-guard. If you're spacing someone's approach, normal pivot-grabbing should work just fine.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ok I was wrong. But it only looks like you did it right once in the video. When I watched wes do it you couldn't see him pivot for some reason >_>.

Edit: You dashed on the 7th frame >_>. It's best to do it after the 1st frame..

Realizzle

Smash Cadet
When I watched wes do it you couldn't see him pivot for some reason >_>.
That doesn't make sense. Couldn't see him pivot? He explicitly said in the topic that he does a pivot grab at the end.

Also, phanna was correct from the start. Give phanna some credit.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That doesn't make sense. Couldn't see him pivot? He explicitly said in the topic that he does a pivot grab at the end.

Also, phanna was correct from the start. Give phanna some credit.
I did. I said I was wrong and he was right. And what I mean by I couldnt really see wes pivoting..I know he is but since he is only crouching for 1 frame it just looks like he turns around instead of pivoting. And I know phanna was right.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
Looks like someone is just eager to have a technique named after them. :p

Pivoting to grab after a CC'd dash isn't anything new - I've done it a ton of times incidentally while DDing and trying to grab someone. Am I missing something here other than a flashy way of dash-grabbing someone?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Looks like someone is just eager to have a technique named after them. :p

Pivoting to grab after a CC'd dash isn't anything new - I've done it a ton of times incidentally while DDing and trying to grab someone. Am I missing something here other than a flashy way of dash-grabbing someone?
Um...You know this is impossible to do when DDing because you cannot crouch during your dash animation so you are just pivot grabbing right?

Top Bottom