• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tried out MK, have a few questions.

RDavis930

Smash Cadet
Hello MK Board.

I'm a ZSS player currently, but after switching to the GC, my whole play style seems to have changed, I don't know how, so don't ask me. I went from playing a punish-game, to being almost super-aggressive. Now instead of ZSS, my roommates and friends fear Pit from me and now after playing a few times, MK.

I rarely use the tornado, only if I know there's a move I can't counter by getting up in their face and hitting them, same with Drill Rush, I just like to go in and juggle and do whatever it takes to get the enemy in the air, as I love air games, which is probably why I like Pit and MK.

My question is this - everyone I know thinks (And knows, thanks to the tier list) just how powerful he is, and some of my friends refuse to play me as MK, due to the fact that I could be the worst MK out there, and still rack up a ton of damage. I'm wondering - Is there a way to show them who they can CP as a choice against MK? Character and Stage?

I like playing as him, but I don't want the stigma of "You picked him because you know he's impossible to beat" around me, I picked him because I think he's a great character and he fits my new 'play style' of sorts, which is just be as aggressive as I can and keep them at bay, and I don't want them to think that I picked him because he's MK, but instead I picked him because he suits me.

So if there's any advice, as well as counter picks, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Nic64

Smash Lord
snake, diddy, and falco are great options for them

but I don't want the stigma of "You picked him because you know he's impossible to beat"
if they say things like this there may be no hope for them though tbh

K 2

Smash Lord
Snake is probably the most suited to beat MK. MK's only bad stage is Final Destination.

If your friends can't beat someone who just recently picked up MK, they suck...really bad.

RDavis930

Smash Cadet
My friends do kinda suck. This is coming from a standpoint that I can 3-Stock them on most stages they pick and all. And why would a new MK be easy to beat? I read up on him only for a few minutes before realizing what I could do with him. Don't spam Mach Tornado, don't spam Down Smash and stuff, and I was always chasing them.

I'm sure that that's not perfect, but it was great, SHDairing them made them really pissy because of how fast it would come out and how I could just hover for a couple seconds before hitting them when they were out of Spotdodge or out of Shield. I'm sure it's not the greatest idea but it threw my roommates and friends off enough to enjoy it.

So, I guess it was worth a try to play against them. Heh.

So tell someone to play as snake? I'll try it.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Sounds like your friends suck worse than the people who john about losing to me. A new MK is easy to beat because they don't have the same experience with their character as someone who's been playing them since the beginning.

What do you have trouble with, personally? Strong moves? Speed? Projectiles? Tell them to pick a character that can abuse your weaknesses, which'd probably do them better than picking a character you have more matchup experience with because everyone uses them against you. But any character would work if they learn some basic gameplay, as opposed to asking what character to use.

Askewen

Smash Rookie
Hello MK Board.

I'm a ZSS player currently, but after switching to the GC, my whole play style seems to have changed, I don't know how, so don't ask me. I went from playing a punish-game, to being almost super-aggressive. Now instead of ZSS, my roommates and friends fear Pit from me and now after playing a few times, MK.

I rarely use the tornado, only if I know there's a move I can't counter by getting up in their face and hitting them, same with Drill Rush, I just like to go in and juggle and do whatever it takes to get the enemy in the air, as I love air games, which is probably why I like Pit and MK.

My question is this - everyone I know thinks (And knows, thanks to the tier list) just how powerful he is, and some of my friends refuse to play me as MK, due to the fact that I could be the worst MK out there, and still rack up a ton of damage. I'm wondering - Is there a way to show them who they can CP as a choice against MK? Character and Stage?

I like playing as him, but I don't want the stigma of "You picked him because you know he's impossible to beat" around me, I picked him because I think he's a great character and he fits my new 'play style' of sorts, which is just be as aggressive as I can and keep them at bay, and I don't want them to think that I picked him because he's MK, but instead I picked him because he suits me.

So if there's any advice, as well as counter picks, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Ignore those people,i bet youre a pretty **** good MK.
As well,MK is light,that means its pretty easy to smash him out,but in exchange for that,hes fast,powerful,and has pretty much techniques!

MK isnt impossible,as long you dont spam the B attacks.
Just dont lower yourself to those cheapy's.
MK is a great character,thats all.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Welcome to my world...well, sorta.
I've been a long-time MK fan, and I can tell you for a fact 1) I didn't choose him for the best and 2) he is not unbeatable/broken/cheap/OP/HAXORS! No johns, people! XD
Seriously though, he has weaknesses. If they want a good chance, Snake, Diddy, Falco, Olimar, Kirby, and a few others all do well against Meta Knight.

raptyrX

Smash Cadet
Thing with MK, hes a tough matchup for everyone, however not necessarily everyone's toughest matchup. Look at Pika's matchup list. MK's a 7.8, but marths a couple tiers lower and he ranks up at 8.2. If you rarely use MT then call that out first! Say, "Im not even gonna use my tornado!". That will really get them sizzling.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Snake and Diddy seem like legitimate contenders to take on MK. Although I believe he still has the slgiht advantage, they can compete with him and do unnaturally well on certain levels. (Ie. Diddy on FD is amazing)

No matter what you do, your friends will be against you at least in a sense of just you guys playing if you go MK. I've played him since the beginning and when it's just us, they can't stand the fact playing him. When we go to tourney though, they fully support me and have my back no matter what, as I do theirs. <3

Just take their comments lightly when you do go MK. They may never get over it completely as long as you play him. Playing him comes with somewhat of a price. Some people will hate you. xD

Excellence

Smash Champion
Snake and Diddy seem like legitimate contenders to take on MK. Although I believe he still has the slgiht advantage, they can compete with him and do unnaturally well on certain levels. (Ie. Diddy on FD is amazing)

No matter what you do, your friends will be against you at least in a sense of just you guys playing if you go MK. I've played him since the beginning and when it's just us, they can't stand the fact playing him. When we go to tourney though, they fully support me and have my back no matter what, as I do theirs. <3

Just take their comments lightly when you do go MK. They may never get over it completely as long as you play him. Playing him comes with somewhat of a price. Some people will hate you. xD
You speak a lot of truth here, man, and I think that it's really good that your friends support you. Personally, I can stand playing Meta Knight as an Olimar because his Shuttle Loop gimps at like 35% are such bull **** to me, but I'm always supportive of another player trying to win just the same as I am. The fact that many people stray away from Olimar because of what they face from the Smash Community really says a lot about peoples' attitudes. You want yourself, well, your opponent wants to win, too. It really isn't necessary that you should bash someone for playing a character they've been using for a long time and trying to do the same with, just in a slightly easier way.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
You speak a lot of truth here, man, and I think that it's really good that your friends support you. Personally, I can stand playing Meta Knight as an Olimar because his Shuttle Loop gimps at like 35% are such bull **** to me, but I'm always supportive of another player trying to win just the same as I am. The fact that many people stray away from Olimar because of what they face from the Smash Community really says a lot about peoples' attitudes. You want yourself, well, your opponent wants to win, too. It really isn't necessary that you should bash someone for playing a character they've been using for a long time and trying to do the same with, just in a slightly easier way.

yea, ppl always bash my main cause they said my main sucks and say it`s very lulzy to use him/her, but I kno the match-up pretty well

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Thing with MK, hes a tough matchup for everyone, however not necessarily everyone's toughest matchup. Look at Pika's matchup list. MK's a 7.8, but marths a couple tiers lower and he ranks up at 8.2. If you rarely use MT then call that out first! Say, "Im not even gonna use my tornado!". That will really get them sizzling.
Nado sucks anyways.

Omnath

Smash Ace
oh and i know what u love,SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM nado and down smash,thats what u love to do at gamebattles at least.Good thing it dint work to me,and i was using wolf online btw
If you're going to bash someone, might not be here. Kthxbye.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
oh and i know what u love,SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM nado and down smash,thats what u love to do at gamebattles at least.Good thing it dint work to me,and i was using wolf online btw
People still have trouble with tornado :confused:

Nic64

Smash Lord
I play wifi a lot and I don't have trouble with tornado...

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I dont have trouble with Nado over wifi.

Uh..a good solid shielding or Dair fixes that problem.

Top Bottom