• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trimming the Hedges: Ivysaur 3.0 Development Rationale

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Hi everyone, we wanted to take some time out to describe the history of Ivysaur in past versions of Project M and expound on the decisions made during the development for 3.0.

Ivysaur has always had a bit of a rocky relationship with the players. In 2.5, the coverage of most of her moves left a lot to be desired, leading to a centralization around a handful of her safest ranged options, like F-Air and B-Air. This caused her to have a polarized matchup spread, with faster characters doing a number on her and slower characters getting demolished. 2.6(b) added speed and flexibility to many of her moves, but did little to balance the matchups she won in 2.5, making her a top tier threat but allowing her to dominate a large chunk of the cast. This had the side-effect of making her metagame very formulaic and intuitive to a fault, where there were few "bad" options at any given moment and little variation between players.

The aim of our 3.0 rendition of Ivysaur is to bring back the focus on thoughtful defense and zoning play from 2.5 while making those individual hits more rewarding for offense, rather than relying on overly-safe and intuitive combo strings. We also wanted to normalize her matchup chart; she has options to help her manage in her worst matchups and has been toned down to prevent her best matchups from being lopsided.

GREATER COMMITMENT, GREATER REWARD

Spacing as Ivysaur has never been a complicated affair up to this point. F-Air dominated in range, safety, and combo potential, making it the cornerstone of both offense and defense and making its risk/reward potential very skewed. In 3.0, the start-up has been increased to require more commitment, and the knockback angles are significantly lower than before, making it so that Ivysaur has to really move forward if she wants to capitalize on the hits of what is still a strong defensive option. That said, we also increased the base knockback on F-Air, allowing it to be a stronger option against crouch canceling despite the extra start-up (something that stuffed a fair amount of Ivysaur offense before), so it's not all bad there.

B-Air was notorious for being incredibly quick and safe, with the rate of attacks being incredibly difficult to get through. To remedy this, B-Air was reverted to 2.5 stats, so while it is noticeably slower, it regains its potential as a powerful KO and edgeguarding tool (it's probably the single most effective edgeguarding move in the game now), as well as being less susceptible to crouch canceling. Intelligent use of B-Air is encouraged more strongly than ever, and it helps to alleviate some of her previous lack of reliable KO options.

Many of her other moves have been tweaked to properly balance her moveset to flow in a way that encourages Ivysaur players to make use of her whole kit and increase a need for finesse more in line with the rest of the cast. F-Tilt has more cooldown and is much more vulnerable behind her, requiring good spacing to get the most out of it. D-Tilt's pop-up hit has a balance in range between the tiny 2.5 version and the large 2.6 version, encouraging combos without making them especially easy. U-Air's sourspot sends people at a more horizontal angle, D-Air has more endlag, and both moves have sweetspots closer to Ivysaur, but the sweetspots are stronger, making them more decisive finishers. Also of note are the changes to her throws; F-Throw was made more in line with B-Throw to make them both decent throws that must be followed up on with edgeguards in order to get a KO. The knockback and angles on U-Throw and D-Throw are changed to make for a true 50/50 with DI instead of letting U-Throw get a free follow-up. This should make follow-ups more read-based and about calculated risk.

SPECIALS

All of Ivysaur's special moves have seen some change in 3.0, encouraging a more nuanced use of them while still fitting in with her generally defensive playstyle.

Razor Leaf is a move that caused a great deal of ire; in the change from 2.5 to 2.6(b), It went from being a situational poking tool to being a Swiss Army Knife in utility; it was much safer, locked opponents down without trouble, and put a huge stop to the mobility options that Project M otherwise embraces. We decided it would be best to tone it down in 3.0 to make it a useful mix-up between the rest of Ivysaur's kit, rather than being the primary focus of approach and defense. The animation is significantly slower in order to make anticipated Razor Leaf attempts more vulnerable, and the hit rate is lower, allowing opponents to shield between crouch canceled hits, causing a guessing game that is less skewed toward Ivysaur's advantage. It decelerates at a noticeable rate, making it much more effective at a specific distance instead of just being a thick wall at every point, which is useful for harassment at this range. It should still have its place for approaching and general harassment, but effective placement requires much more thought and skilled use of B-Reversing and Wavebouncing instead of the fire-and-forget feeling that left a bad taste in people's mouths in 2.6b.

In 2.6(b), Synthesis had the peculiar property of being a pop-up hitbox that encouraged combos. We wanted it to be able to add a little extra "oomph" for creative players, but smart use of the landing cancel turned it into a catch-all for defensive safety and unnatural offensive strings. Reluctant to can the idea entirely, we thought about how we could make an unique interaction useful while having it look and act natural, and we eventually settled on turning the hitbox into a relatively weak windbox. While it can no longer be used for combos or combo breaking, it can throw off the landings and spacing of opponents, which adds to her juggle traps and can make the neutral position less intuitive for the opponent without taking away their maneuverability options. With the landing cancel still intact, the push can keep opponents in the air for longer than normal, allowing you to force and capitalize on opponents' missed L-Cancels, and it can push people around recovering opponents attempting to sweetspot the ledge, giving her a sneaky new edgeguarding option. The full potential of this move should be harder to realize, but we expect proper experimentation to really help with applying this interesting tool.

Seed Bomb used to work in tandem with Razor Leaf to create very frustrating walls, and the projectile's vertical range and speed made it so that it was easy to lose track of and most effective as a vertical combo ender. The projectile has been slowed down and doesn't go as high, making it easier for opponents to react to and for Ivysaur players to combo into it for extra damage, putting an emphasis on it as a situational zoning tool instead of projectile lockdown and vertical combo endings.

Vine Whip has been made more powerful to reward players more for landing this slow, linear attack and to make it more distinct from Solar Beam, but it is otherwise similar to the previous version. The tweaks to her combo game and a slight sweetspot size increase should make it a little more reliable.

Overall, we're excited to say that this Ivysaur is the least polarized and most thoughtful to date. With a greater need for finesse and proper spacing to get the most out of newly improved options, as well as changes to round out her moveset and give underused options more use, dedicated players should find that she is much more enjoyable to play, as and against, and that she is still a contender in the fast-paced world of Project M 3.0.

-PMBR

Alteffor

Smash Rookie
EDIT: I no longer agree with these statements. Ivysaur is very different now but I love her now that I've had the time to acclimate.

I love that you've done this and I agree with the rationale on a lot of the points, but the issue I'm having with 3.0 ivysaur is the loss of literally everything.

Seed Bomb used to work in tandem with Razor Leaf to create very frustrating walls
This a a plenty good argument if you hadn't already neutered razor leaf to the point that it's rarely useful anymore. You can't wall out anyone with 3.0 leaf, it has a few applications but overall it's not good.

Fair and bairs have gone from great attacks to passable ones. The synthesize windbox doesn't really help defensively anymore, almost everything still hits anyway, and it doesn't do anything offensively. It's good for a neat few tricks here and there but once people learn to play around them there is really not much there, punishing sweet spotted recoveries isn't all that useful, edgehogging works just fine still. The d-throw knockback growth is actually a secret nerf, because she loses her followups at kill percents, as the opponents can just jump away, and you can't punish that with seed bomb anymore, becauses it's far too slow. The up-throw lost some KBG but it just doesn't set them up the same. Losing the extra grab-boxes on the throw against air does a lot of bad toward her game in general as well, it hurt far more than just chain grabs.

The ceilings have been raised in general which essentially only leaves gimps as her good way of killing people, but she has no real good way to set people up for them, as she has lost almost all of her stage presence.

I get the idea behind adding nuance to her moves and definitely think she needed some, but this was too much. She was barely fast enough to compete with fast characters in 2.6. She lost her razor leaf and seed bomb she needed to compensate for that. She just doesn't have the presence to compete anymore. I've loved this character since 2.5, and this version doesn't even feel fun to play. I'm not ready to give up on my main just yet, maybe some new thing will shine through, but I think this character just hit the bottom of the tier lists in a big way.

God I hope I'm wrong but playing Ivysaur has become upsetting in 3.0. Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now I'm pretty sad.

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
I think Ivy is terrible now. Coming from an Ivy main you guys stripped everything he was from him to be a defensive character? First off is that even fun? No, second is that going to be even viable in competitive tournament gameplay? No, he will get demolished. Sure you can space, but what about someone with projectiles? Razor leaf? Oh yeah that move is absolutely terrible now. He already had a hard time approaching if you didn't use razor leaf now what do you expect him to use, on someone such as Samus? Stand back and expect them to approach you when she will just stand back and shoot missals. Ivy is ruined, and it's because you guys don't want any top tier characters. What about Fox? I don't see him getting nerfed. She already would get beat by Fox, and now she's at the bottom of the teir list. 2.6 was honestly a better game, and by all of the negative feedback you guys have received about Ivysour I hope you see that. Very disappointed with how she was remade.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, it was her most skewed risk/reward option since 2.5, IMO. It's gonna take some getting used to, but it's still her one of her best (if not her best) combo tools and a strong shorthop poke, Sweet.

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
Oh I forgot her B Up is suppose to be such a great killing move now. Maybe for hard reads, but people can smash DI easily in a direction where she can't even land it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There are 40 other characters, many of which are all about actions per minute and hardcore balls-to-the-wall offensive play. If that's what you're looking for, try one of them instead. If you don't like the current Ivysaur at all, you probably wouldn't have liked/didn't like 2.5 Ivysaur, which was closer to our vision of her gameplay. If you can't see any of the positives there as meaningful, I don't know what to tell you other than to work on your reading comprehension, 'cause she's definitely benefited from it in some ways.

There are a number of ways to get people in the air for a reasonable shot at Up-B, including her throws (which can't be SDI'd), ground-bounce from D-Air/U-Air, tipped F-Air, and U-Tilt. If you can't land it, it's because you're not experimenting enough.

el Gusto

Smash Rookie
I love you for making this thread.

I don't hate you for the changes to ivy, I won't even tell you they were too much. But they do radically alter how ivy plays, which leads to frustration. This was probably what you aimed for, so congratulations.

Many options (for example, bair->bair/synthesis) simply don't exist anymore. This is VERY frustrating to me, but I do realize that this was in some ways necessary. To be quite honest, I don't think people really utilized some "unfair" properties of 2.6 ivy to their full potential. Bair-walls are no longer impenetrable to a big chunk of the cast (playing against jigglypuff and friends was a cruel joke). Razorleaf isn't a multihit shl anymore.

Without these properties, ivy has become a different character. However, it has been warmly welcomed in my social circle, and I will try to adjust before passing judgement.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's respectable. We expected people to feel uncomfortable making so many adjustments, but we trust that you'll understand that it's for the best of the game as a whole and that she's still at least a solid character in the cast.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I can manage with just about everything other than her forward air. It's so hard to use now, for me at least.
While overall slower, the base knockback on this move now rivals Ganon's fair on most of its hit bubbles, so it's considerably safer on hit vs CC than it used to be.

TreK

Is "that guy"
One of my only gripes with P:M was that the melee kids had a head start on me due to the engine being closer to melee than brawl, and now I have a 30 lines long patch note to my character while everybody else has 5 lines top. Well, you guys aren't exactly helping :V

Well, I won't give too much feedback until at least monday. So far Ivy still feels good, albeit a little weak and slow. The windbox is cool, though I find the wind too weak to be any useful. But hey, let's not make this character more gimmicky than she already is.

One thing though, I'd like to know the reasoning behind giving Kirbyzaur an instant Solar Beam and then nothing. Tech limitations or 100% intended ?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh--As an aside, there are three levels of windbox strength, based on how close you are when you do it. The closest one is reasonably powerful.

Sudai

Stuff here
Hopefully will get to play and try her out tonight, but I like what I've read and theory crafted so far. Less nerfs than I expected and I like the things they've tuned up.

iHook

Smash Cadet
Without putting tons of hours into the newest update yet, my initial response was that Ivy became much more technical overnight (literally). Spacings and move choice are much more of a decision now. These differences aren't totally bad (even if my gut instinct is to immediately drop such a nerfed ball of flowers). My only concern is the pendulum effect. 3.0 added so much content in regards to other characters, I feel that changing an existing character THIS MUCH (without first seeing how the game will morph with the addition of 5 brand new characters) was a poor decision. I would not have minded Ivy being tweaked just as much as some of the other characters, but having 3 or 4 times the amount of patch notes was disheartening. I will continue to play Ivy and gather more opinions and will gladly eat my words if everything turns out for the better, but currently it is easy to feel discouraged. I just needed to vent a bit and have my initial thoughts on paper (virtually).

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Vino's opinions are godlike, omg

Please continue telling us how much you dislike 3.0 Ivy after all your hard work practicing and relearning her timing changes and her new kit in the less-than-48 hours since 3.0's release.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
So I've been playing Pokemon Trainer since early Brawl Days. Ivysaur has always been my favorite. Reflex, you may remember me from the move analysis thread way back in the day. I feel given how much of this I have played in the past few days (too much) I have gotten a fair bead on how this character works now in 3.0.

So, cool that this thread is here. I get there were some things to be done and I'm okay with that. But Reflex, to your point, while all of these nerfs may have been for the good of the game, they really feel as if they were all based around her 2.6b power still existing in other moves. For example: seed bomb was very good in tandem with razor leaf to cover space. Nerfing it to keep the vertical space in check would be smart if razor leaf is going to keep being amazing. But razor leaf is not amazing anymore, nor is it particularly safe to use regularly. Given that, seed bomb's power shouldn't be a problem anymore. But with both gone, Ivy's ability to cover space safely with projectiles is gone as well.

What I'm getting at here is that with all of Ivy's tools, he/she/whatever was probably too good. But instead of taking away one or two tools, all of them are worse, by design, except up b and (in my opinion) f-air/b-air. Now, rushdown Ivysaur doesn't work; Ivy's place in the game is a defensive controller of space, and is unique in the way its hitboxes are set up. But without good projectiles, other characters can pretty much run away and Ivy can't do much about it, and there isn't anything else that will make Ivysaur stand out within the cast. My major problem with this mass nerfing of every move is that the offensive combo options Ivysaur *did* have are noticeably more difficult to follow up on, keeping the Ivy metagame from shifting towards a shield pressure scenario, and her ability to reliably control space and opponents with projectiles is pretty much not there anymore. If Ivysaur is indeed the unique defensive character you want it to be, other characters shouldn't be able to out-defense it. Falco has a fast, stunning projectile that he can spam for days, and can play run away much better than Ivysaur at this point. He also happens to be the best offensive character in the game. Sheik can make Ivysaur approach by outspacing with needles and being really fast, not to mention comparable aerial hitboxes. When the best offensive characters are also better defensively than the "thoughtful defense" character, there is a big problem.

Where I see this going is that Ivysaur will end up being forced to rely on f-air and b-air to survive, just like in 2.5, and become the no-aerial-mobility jigglypuff.

Like someone above said, I agree with where your head's at, but I don't agree that making pretty much every single thing about Ivysaur less effective is going to make her a particularly respectable or viable pick. Its offense is worse, its defense is worse, its grab game is worse, its projectile game is worse. That's not opinion either; the OP laid out how every aspect was less effective or more difficult to successfully use. Going down to the ground floor and then considering building Ivysaur back up is not a healthy way to iterate on a design. Also, I would be very interested to hear what has been done to "help her manage in her worst matchups," seeing as none of Ivysaur's moves that defuse pressure, the character's greatest weakness, have gotten better.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Seed Bomb's change was mostly to mitigate the "where did that come from" salt feeling that opponents often felt because of how its rise/fall speed made it quickly move off/on-screen. Using it as a means to take up horizontal space is just as viable, IMO; its main nerf comes from not being able to finish vertical combos with it in positions where nothing else would hit. Yeah, you're not allowed to do it at mid-range anymore, but they're still useful options when you're able to get them out, which isn't all that situational.

If we're talking about individual attacks, I would argue that Up-B, U-Air, N-Air, D-Air, B-Air, and D-Tilt are improved overall, and there are a number of moves that saw improvements on top of toning down, either by themselves or in tandem with other options. Up-B should be significantly more reliable with U-Throw having less knockback and being a true 50/50 with D-Throw (instead of letting people default to just getting hit by a Seed Bomb at mid-to-high percents). The greater knockback on U-Air and D-Air make them more useful for KOing and comboing (respectively) without significantly reducing the situations in which you can land the sweetspots. N-Air's lower knockback allows her to follow up the final hit for longer (it's probably my favorite move and has been since 2.5), and the KO potential isn't often missed when B-Air is quite powerful now and can be applied in many of the same situations as N-Air was as a KO option in 2.6. This also has the effect of making it more useful against crouch canceling, something that Ivysaur had trouble dealing with in some of her worst matchups. As Jolteon mentioned earlier, F-Air's higher BKB also makes each individual hit a stronger options against crouch-canceling, too. D-Tilt still has a pretty significant sweetspot, and it works really well with after a land-cancel Synthesis push, which often puts the opponent in the sweetspot's range. Aerial mobility is improved, as is her overall edgeguarding game (which was already really good to begin with).

Her large hitboxes and great range are unparalleled in a lot of areas, and I would argue that they still make her a unique and appealing character.

I'm not terribly fond of some of the Melee characters' traits, so I'm not sure if my opinion on comparison matters there. That said, the logic is that her strong range and gimp tools should allow her to do manage; having what is arguably the best edgeguarding toolset in the game matters a lot against characters with linear recoveries (compared to the cast).

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
To anyone saying offensive ivy is totally dead -- this is the fastest she's moved yet and fair & nair are both (-3) on block, which can combine with frame 2 jab or synth push to be pretty much completely safe vs shield. This isn't quite hover/float cancel level of frame advantage but it's still *very* solid. The potential is there, even if you never needed to realize it before with razor leaf there to cover up imperfect shield pressure technique.

Sudai

Stuff here
I really like the new Ivy. Yeah her nerfs hurt but her buffs in other places really made up for it imo. You can't play her the way you did in 2.6 it just won't work. I was killing people with sweet spot UAirs arond ~100% though which is really nice.

New seed bomb is really nice too. Like Reflex said it's good for blocking horizontal space now. I find myself using it to limit option on people recovering high or recovering from a juggle a lot more effectively than I was in 2.6. In edge cases, Razor leaf is better than it used to be. If you space it right, you can get more hits, more damage, and more hit stun from it and still follow it up. It's just not the end all be all it used to be. Primarily used for post-combo follow ups, tech chasing, and area denial (to a lesser extent).

New BAir is -amazing- and combined with the way the new windbox on nB works means that basically no one should be able to recover if they're knocked to the blast zone (excluding the likes of jiggly/peach that float above but we have the new seed bomb for them). Invincible nB edge guards are ridiculous. As potent as invincible shine I'd say. Speaking of the windbox, I love it on stage to. OoS its great to push away would be pressurers and it ****s with short range characters so much if you do things like approaching FAir > nB landing cancel as a mix up.

I could go on forever, but I'll end it by saying yeah she's nerfed a bit but she needed it. Her big nerfs were in areas where she was already way too strong (safety) but her buffs put a good bit of that strength in to other areas. She's a whole new beast and should be treated as one.

el Gusto

Smash Rookie
I implied in my previous post that you could no longer chaingrab spacies. I tried it out, and it seems to work on Falco at least.

Overall, I'm liking the new Ivy more and more.
The new synthesis is really cool, and I don't think I'll miss it for getting out of combos as much as I initially thought.
Ivy has actually been buffed in many regards. While reflex and co try to inform others of these, they are kind of subtle. For example, I don't think people ever really understood how good CC was against 2.6 ivy (my opponents certainly didn't (well, except for Armada :p )). A fair rivaling Ganon's in power helps a lot. The new synthesis can lead to really quick edgeguards, in situations where you don't have the time to space a bair properly. Her combo game has changed, but isn't necessarily that much worse due to new nair and proper grab mixups (it's ridiculous to think that we should be able to combo as well as we used to after a day or two). The new seed bomb can actually be used for spacing. When people told me to use earlier versions of seed bombs for horizontal spacing, I thought they were crazy (still do, Razor Leaf was ALWAYS a better option). The spacing game is weaker now, but at the same time much more interesting. Bair, as previously mentioned, is not necessarily worse either. It's a reliable KO move at higher percents, and while I enjoyed bairing my opponents seven times every single edgeguard, the new design does make edgeguarding easier and less soul-crushing for your opponent.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Unless you're up against DK. Then you're using a dozen bairs.

Sudai, talk about invincible nB? It might be just that it's late and I'm overworked but I can't think of how that would work while allowing Ivy to recover.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
(Synthesis does not have any invincibility, Solar Beam is invincible while firing, Spacie Shines are not invincible... not sure what invincible nB you are referring to Swann)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Upon doing fun smashfests every Tuesday I finally got the chance to try out 3.0 Ivy and I admit I was very disappointed with the nerfs. But after accepting what I noticed (without looking at the 3.0 patch notes), I found what buffs were given or remained.

U-air sweetspot kills very early now (love it)
N-air isn't a cheezy KO around the 170% but still a good OoS option and setup-friendly.
B-air isn't a cheezy wall of hotness that can't be banged but now our KO aerial xD what a twist<3
D-air I felt didn't change much other than maybe it's sweet-spot induces more hit-stun to prevent Meteor cancels?
Vine Whip I feel is no longer easy mode but now reading the patch notes it proves it hits harder being more rewarding <3
D-tilt still gets CC'd but higher % it combos really well
F-air I feel is now the go-to aerial and you can always combo itself or into other aerials
There's other changes that idk if are true but Synthesis charging and Sweetspotted U-air D-air and U-smash all lead to charging a solarbeam much quicker which i'm fine with. Bbl

Swann

Smash Journeyman
...combined with the way the new windbox on nB works means that basically no one should be able to recover if they're knocked to the blast zone (excluding the likes of jiggly/peach that float above but we have the new seed bomb for them). Invincible nB edge guards are ridiculous. As potent as invincible shine I'd say.

Sudai

Stuff here
(Synthesis does not have any invincibility, Solar Beam is invincible while firing, Spacie Shines are not invincible... not sure what invincible nB you are referring to Swann)
I'm the one that originally mentioned it. Its done abusing ledge mechanics, not move mechanics. Grab edge > drop off while still invincible > nB, shine, w/e.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I dunno; I'd rather using ledgehop B-Air to edgeguard in that scenario. That thing is huge.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Sudai, mainly I asked because... well, honestly it doesn't seem like it'd work. I'll have to mess with it later after school is over.

What Reflex said.^

ScaryPixel

Smash Cadet
I gotta admit, when I first heard of some of the nerfs for Ivysaur, I was dreading her release on 3.0. Then when I saw "the wall" of changes done to Ivy, my general reaction could be somewhat summed up like this,

...But then I actually played her for a bit, and I gotta say, it's not that bad! She's still amazing, it'll take some time to adjust to the changes I feel, but overall I can't really complain. I especially like what they did to her up-b sweetspot to compensate for her overall kill power getting shafted.

I like how Razor Leaf was changed to tilt more upwards at the end, it was too easy getting a punish after throwing out a leaf in 2.6b, but I feel that right now her animation throwing out the leaf might be a little too sluggish. I'll try getting more used to it, but my suggestion right now is to decrease the start up by a tiiiiiiiiny bit, bringing it just a little closer between 2.6b and 3.0. that's all she really needs I feel.

But other than that, great work trimming the cabbage!

ps. whoever thought it was a good idea to give Ivy a white/blue skin, I want to hug you.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Can't say I would mind a little bit of decreased endlag on leaf.

FOR SURE working on those nB pushes later.

Icysaur is best saur

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Vino's tears are delicious, and smell of NaCl.

Thank you for making this thread, Shell. My main practice partner likes playing a bunch of Ivy, and our games together have actually become much more enjoyable for *both* of us now the he actually has to make choices. It seems like you guys did a great job on Ivy, so far. Hell, I'm almost concerned that the nerfs may not be enough, but I'm probably just paranoid. She doesn't seem too awful to play as, or against.

Imrik

Smash Rookie
I'm really trying to understand what the PMBR is trying to do with this game, but it just seems to me like every time a character gets to the top of the tier lists (and isn't a melee vet) the community screams OP, and then the PMBR istead of making a few tweaks slashes the entire character across the board to put them "back to the middle", which translates directly into "worse than the melee vets".

I know this argument gets made all the time and I truly am not making it to try to start a fight but the changes to Ivysaur look alot like the changes to Sonic, which looked alot like the changes to Lucario, which looked alot like the changes to Ike. They aren't "tweaks" or "adjustments" they are across the board nerfs. Where are the "tweaks and adjustments" to Fox? Falco? Shiek?

On Ivysaur specifically I don't understand why every single good option she had needed to be "adjusted". I would have understood Razor leaf getting nerfed (my favorite idea was taking away the multiple hits and making it break on shield), and maybe fair OR bair and then letting that play a bit and see how it affected her game. Instead we get flat out nerfs. I hope at some point the PMBR puts down the cleaver and realises that if its OK for Fox and Falco to have moves like their Usmash and Dair respectively, its ok for the rest of the cast to have good moves that aren't exactly "high skill" as well.

Also, why is that every single nerf was of the "this move is now twice as slow as it was before" variety?

EDIT: Reading back through this its more whiny then I intended. I wanna say I don't hate every change or anything like that, the bair change specifically I actually quite enjoy since I never used it to "wall" in the first place. My personal issue is that she just feels very slow now on every move. I feel more like I'm playing Ike than Ivy, and she still gets the crap combo'd out of her if she gets caught, only more so because of the fall speed change.

My issue is more with the way in which changes are introduced to non-melee vet characters vs how they are introduced to melee vets. Fox and Falco get almost no changes despite being very high on any tier list and constant complaints about their movesets and portions that should be more balanced (U-Smash probably shouldn't be killing people at 60%), and on the flip side C-Fal and Jiggly recieve only minor tweaks to help them stay competitive. All of them are slowly adjusted and tuned so each release they might be slightly changed but still feel the same.

However Brawl vets see meteoric rises, which are consistently followed by across the board, cleaver style nerfs to the entire character which drastically alter their play. This is why you see the "Only Melee vets allowed to be top tier" arguments, because there is a lack of willingness to treat Brawl vets with the same respect and adjust them instead of just nerfing them until you can fix them later.

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
I agree with most of the changes except for the multiple nerfs to razor leaf. I understand that it was over powering in most cases, but the increase in start-up time along with now checking for a previous leaf 14 frames earlier and being slowed down back to the 2.5 leaf was a bit much imo. The leaf is too avoidable now, especially against the faster members of the cast.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
We wanted it to be able to add a little extra "oomph" for creative players, but smart use of the landing cancel turned it into a catch-all for defensive safety and unnatural offensive strings. Reluctant to can the idea entirely, we thought about how we could make an unique interaction
Would someone care to clarify the thought process behind the words in bold? I trying to get a feel for where you're coming from with the wind frames deal.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I'm really trying to understand what the PMBR is trying to do with this game, but it just seems to me like every time a character gets to the top of the tier lists (and isn't a melee vet) the community screams OP, and then the PMBR istead of making a few tweaks slashes the entire character across the board to put them "back to the middle", which translates directly into "worse than the melee vets".

I know this argument gets made all the time and I truly am not making it to try to start a fight but the changes to Ivysaur look alot like the changes to Sonic, which looked alot like the changes to Lucario, which looked alot like the changes to Ike. They aren't "tweaks" or "adjustments" they are across the board nerfs. Where are the "tweaks and adjustments" to Fox? Falco? Shiek?

On Ivysaur specifically I don't understand why every single good option she had needed to be "adjusted". I would have understood Razor leaf getting nerfed (my favorite idea was taking away the multiple hits and making it break on shield), and maybe fair OR bair and then letting that play a bit and see how it affected her game. Instead we get flat out nerfs. I hope at some point the PMBR puts down the cleaver and realises that if its OK for Fox and Falco to have moves like their Usmash and Dair respectively, its ok for the rest of the cast to have good moves that aren't exactly "high skill" as well.

Also, why is that every single nerf was of the "this move is now twice as slow as it was before" variety?

EDIT: Reading back through this its more whiny then I intended. I wanna say I don't hate every change or anything like that, the bair change specifically I actually quite enjoy since I never used it to "wall" in the first place. My personal issue is that she just feels very slow now on every move. I feel more like I'm playing Ike than Ivy, and she still gets the crap combo'd out of her if she gets caught, only more so because of the fall speed change.

My issue is more with the way in which changes are introduced to non-melee vet characters vs how they are introduced to melee vets. Fox and Falco get almost no changes despite being very high on any tier list and constant complaints about their movesets and portions that should be more balanced (U-Smash probably shouldn't be killing people at 60%), and on the flip side C-Fal and Jiggly recieve only minor tweaks to help them stay competitive. All of them are slowly adjusted and tuned so each release they might be slightly changed but still feel the same.

However Brawl vets see meteoric rises, which are consistently followed by across the board, cleaver style nerfs to the entire character which drastically alter their play. This is why you see the "Only Melee vets allowed to be top tier" arguments, because there is a lack of willingness to treat Brawl vets with the same respect and adjust them instead of just nerfing them until you can fix them later.

In the case of Lucario, Ike, Sonic – all three of these characters received significant nerfs targeting things that made them (1) break smash "rules" too much, (2) achieve a level of success disproportionate to player skill, and/or (3) overly centralized on a small set of moves or tactics. So yes, we went after them with the nerf stick, so to speak. Now, it would be one thing if we left it at that, *but* over the following updates each of them has received considerably more thoughtful buffs that allow them to be more successful in a balance sense without aggravating the design issues (1)/(2)/(3) that affected them (and by extension the rest of the game) before.

And as we've shown in v2.6, even the spacies aren't untouchable as you claim, and *in general* they do an acceptable job of adhering to those three design issues. 3.0 Ivy has a lot of superlative moves and traits that the spacies are jealous of, even if it doesn't seem that way on first glance.

So yeah, even if Ivy is objectively worse than 2.6 or even 2.5, we feel that it's better to correct design faults as early as possible and then fix any lingering balance issues over time with well thought out buffs. We really did try as hard as possible to fix design issues on Ivy without cutting in to her viability *too* much, and as 3.0 plays out we'll see what we have left to do for the future.

Top Bottom