• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tripping - based on damage percentage?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
A friend of mine notied (or thinks he noticed) that the more precent damage one has, the more chance one has to trips.

Could this be true? is this already said to not be true?
can someone please clarify:)

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Tripping always happens at the worst possible moment, like when Ike is using his Fsmash on you or on hard pavement with spikey rocks.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
No, as far as I know tripping is (unfortunatly) completely random. (Unless I'm mistaken)...plus if you really crave some *proof*, wouldn't people be saying not to get to high percents to prevent tripping, or to avoid running at high percents?

So, no, percentage doesn't affect your tripping rate. (to my knowledge)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
ive lways had it happen at good times, which has saved me from being Fsmashed by Ike :)

rayman1234

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure tripping is random, but doesn't dashdancing raise the chance of you tripping?

kr3wman

Smash Master
Everytime you dash or do certain actions like pivoting in the middle of running you have around 1/100 to trip.

Nothing affects the number.

Dashdancing raises your chance to trip since you do one of theses actions more than once in a short period of time, so OF COURSE, if you know your basic math -big IF-, you will have more chances of tripping.

Revven

FrankerZ
hmm... i always thought it depends on how fast ur character is... the faster ur character the more likely u are to trip...
I'm pretty sure it isn't... how often do you see Fox trip in comparison to say, Ganondorf? They're about the same... =\

I'm pretty sure tripping is random, but doesn't dashdancing raise the chance of you tripping?
Dash dancing does NOTHING to raise the chance, it's just based off of RNG, that one time you dash again you're no more likely to trip than you were from the dash before it. It's random, dash dancing has no effect on how often you trip, you just trip during the dash dance because you are dashing constantly back and forth. Just like turning around has no bearing on its chances being raised, dash dancing doesn't either.

rayman1234

Smash Cadet
Dash dancing does NOTHING to raise the chance, it's just based off of RNG, that one time you dash again you're no more likely to trip than you were from the dash before it. It's random, dash dancing has no effect on how often you trip, you just trip during the dash dance because you are dashing constantly back and forth. Just like turning around has no bearing on its chances being raised, dash dancing doesn't either.
Really? thanks for answering my question ^_^

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Everytime you dash or do certain actions like pivoting in the middle of running you have around 1/100 to trip.

Nothing affects the number.

Dashdancing raises your chance to trip since you do one of theses actions more than once in a short period of time, so OF COURSE, if you know your basic math -big IF-, you will have more chances of tripping.
Rolling does as well. :mad:

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
hmm.... 1/100 chance..? i would say more like 1/50 cause in my matches... i happen to trip a lot... so i either have bad luck (which in any case that is still horrible luck) or its more like 1/50 chance. U never trip unless ur running, and sure since im a fox player i run a lot... but 1/100 chances and i trip like at least 7 or 8 times a match... so that would be like telling me to guess a number 1 through 100 everytime i ran... thats a big gap... and then when i actual guess the number, u pick another number,, and again i would have to guess it again...

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think attack-induced tripping might be based on percentage.

it ticks me off when I try to kill/push off-stage with Falcon's D-smash and it trips them.

SERIOUSLY?! WHY MAKE A KILL MOVE TRIP SOMEONE D:!!!

SYLAR

Smash Rookie
I think it's completely random, but it seems to follow Murphy's Law more than chance.

I was playing a friend of mine (I was Marth, he was Fox), and every time I'd attack, he'd zip behind me and try to attack, but he'd trip before he could attack. That happened 3-4 times in a row. Then I caught him with a d-smash for the win.

Then, I was facing another friend of mine (I was Yoshi, he was Captain Falcon) and we ended up on opposit ends of Final Destination. We yelled war-cries and charged at each other, and we both tripped after one step. Then proceeded to fall over laughing.

Though I have never seen Sonic trip...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
There seems to be some confusion. Here are the real mechanics.

Every time you input a dash which is a side smash input while on the ground and dashing is possible (this includes doing a forward smash or smashing a side special with the control stick), you have a 1% chance to trip. Each of the Ice Climbers has an independent trip rate, and I think but am not sure that Olimar's pikmin can trip too. On slippery surfaces such as ice, characters who are not the Ice Climbers have a boosted trip rate of 3% (the Ice Climbers each retain their 1% rate).

Alternatively, certain types of hits in certain percentage ranges can cause you to trip with varying odds that seem to be pretty high (Lucas's down tilt is a good example). There isn't much research on the real odds behind these moves, unfortunately. Diddy's banana peels guarantee a trip when they connect or are walked over by someone who doesn't control them.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
There seems to be some confusion. Here are the real mechanics.

Every time you input a dash which is a side smash input while on the ground and dashing is possible (this includes doing a forward smash or smashing a side special with the control stick), you have a 1% chance to trip. Each of the Ice Climbers has an independent trip rate, and I think but am not sure that Olimar's pikmin can trip too. On slippery surfaces such as ice, characters who are not the Ice Climbers have a boosted trip rate of 3% (the Ice Climbers each retain their 1% rate).

Alternatively, certain types of hits in certain percentage ranges can cause you to trip with varying odds that seem to be pretty high (Lucas's down tilt is a good example). There isn't much research on the real odds behind these moves, unfortunately. Diddy's banana peels guarantee a trip when they connect or are walked over by someone who doesn't control them.
Ice climbers are trip freaks. If nana isnt tripping the whole match, you are.
I swear.
And no, olimars pikmin don't trip. (Why would they? >_>)
And, ice climbers don't slide on ice.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
It's completly random, but usually happans when you try to dash left and right too fast and too often.

It always happens at the worst time it seems though...

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is completely random, there is a small chance you'll trip each time you "smash" the control stick.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i think this is the first time i've seen a thread like this...

Stevenn

Smash Cadet
I think when you smash dash a certain way it triggers it,
I also find it ironic but it usually happens at the worst moment,
another thing is, I read MK Charizard trip the least, trippy eh? o_O since their feet don't touch the ground & all

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
that could explain why mewtwo doesn't trip at all... wait...

meta master

Smash Journeyman
people have been hacking the game right? isnt it possible to look through the source code and find out the probability of tripping?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its possible but not probable considering the amount of data but still... always a possibility. any thoughts?

kr3wman

Smash Master
I think when you smash dash a certain way it triggers it,
I also find it ironic but it usually happens at the worst moment,
another thing is, I read MK Charizard trip the least, trippy eh? o_O since their feet don't touch the ground & all

No.

people have been hacking the game right? isnt it possible to look through the source code and find out the probability of tripping?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its possible but not probable considering the amount of data but still... always a possibility. any thoughts?
It was one of the first code that went out. Please, use the search button next time instead of asking a question in a scrub magnet thread.

IDK

Smash Lord
Tripping always happens at the worst possible moment, like when Ike is using his Fsmash on you or on hard pavement with spikey rocks.
this is because sakurai hates you. his favorite character is DEFINATELY diddy... MK don exits... (shhhhhh)
anyway, i forget, because i never was really bothered much by tripping but i think it's just completely random and can happen with any horizontal movement. I think air tripping exists too, but its uber weird. I saw a vid of sonic doing it once.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
tripping only happens to people who are looking at the tv screen instead of their feet. In every match I play, I completely ignore the screen, focusing completely on my feet. Usually I put the controller on the table in front of me and my hands behind my back, so they don't obstruct my view of my feet.

I have never tripped. Ever.

Top Bottom