• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Lets face it, on paper, tripping is horrible. It seems to defeat the spirit of competition and in general, seems completely stupid.

But lets put a positive or neutral spin on it. It's not truly as game breaking as implied! Sure, it seems horrible on paper, but it doesn't happen enough to make it TRULY hazardous. It only holds you up for about a half-second, and can easily be rolled out of in my experience. It's even SAVED ME before. I fell down on accident and avoided running straight into a baseball bat hit from Ness. It was less than an inch from Boozer's skull at that point, and I was in the red. I then proceed to roll behind, grab, body slam, SHFair and combo Ness ending with a Uair kill for a close match win.

Look, it's definately got cons. But to be upset about something this miniscule, is just being plain whiny.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's really not that big of a problem for me, and Ive never actually been KO'd because of it, because I always immediately roll out of it.

Tripping isnt bad, it's just a minor nuissance that we have got to live with for many years to come.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's even SAVED ME before. I fell down on accident and avoided running straight into a baseball bat hit from Ness. It was less than an inch from Boozer's skull at that point, and I was in the red. I then proceed to roll behind, grab, body slam, SHFair and combo Ness ending with a Uair kill for a close match win.
Then your opponent should have won. Tripping has randomly determined the outcome of a match regardless of who played better. And you wonder why competitive players don't like it.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Oh i've tripped then got caught in a Fsmash (TL's) to lose the game, I didn't even have time to roll out but my goodness, I lost a match due to tripping so yes it is truly annoying.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I agree with phoot, it seems that the tripping was an uneccesary addition to the game. I hate it when I trip, and when somebody else trips, it feels bad to take advantage of it.

Count Lupin

Smash Rookie
i hardly ever trip so i really dont have a problem with it but i still dont fully understand why they put it in

kenny.kor

Smash Rookie
I love Nintendo but this feels like a slap in the face to everyone who was anticipating to play this game competitively.

Tripping is not good in any way! I avoid it more frequently by keeping my game in the air as much as possible but I doubt this is the outcome that anyone was hoping to achieve by puting this in SSBB.

Tripping is not skill (unless your character performs this on another such as Falco's shine), it's a random occurance that can be considered luck or the lack of luck; it's not justifiable or clever, but may be a little cute.

DJ_Sessum

Smash Rookie
Not for me...

Surprisingly, I have never been a victim to tripping. In fact, my character, Lucas has never tripped. I think some characters are less likely to trip, like Lucas.:)

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
All I'm saying here is that it's not the end of the world, and to be considered a scapegoat in the Brawl Vs. Melee arguement, it makes me angry.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
For casual players, it's just another hazard.
For more hardcore tournament players, it's getting a skill-less kill, which defeats the point of a tournament.

hellbourne

Smash Cadet
A lot of the time tripping just keeps me from continuing a combo or making a potential KO hit, but it's also saved me from running into certain doom before too. Either way, I don't think that random chance should play a major role in competitive games.

salaboB

Smash Champion
For casual players, it's just another hazard.
For more hardcore tournament players, it's getting a skill-less kill, which defeats the point of a tournament.
From the point of playing beloved Nintendo characters in a fighting game, tripping doesn't belong.

I'll just go play Mario Galaxy and ...oh wait, I never trip there.

Metroid? No tripping.

Same goes for pretty much any game you care to name, tripping in Smash just defeats some of the feel of the characters who have never tripped randomly in their own games and shouldn't develop two left feet now.

SeeKay

Smash Rookie
NNID
rati-kun
3DS FC
1349-6611-7266
Surprisingly, I have never been a victim to tripping. In fact, my character, Lucas has never tripped. I think some characters are less likely to trip, like Lucas.:)
I'm a primary Lucas player and ive tripped dozens of times. It seems i trip less when i focus on using my specials to win. IE: cant trip when you're propelled by PK Thunder.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Quit crying. When's the last time someone complained of losing to a critical hit in Pokemon? That's a kill without skill, and Pokemon is hyper competitive.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Quit crying. When's the last time someone complained of losing to a critical hit in Pokemon? That's a kill without skill, and Pokemon is hyper competitive.
Actually... a lot of people cry about critical hits on Shoddy.

kevo2488

Smash Rookie
QFT!

I used to play Pokemon semi-competitively. Luck is fun. Only when that randomness is spread to all people in equal amounts is it fair.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
No one is crying here, just talking about how flawed they believe tripping is. Funny, you start a topic about it and complain about people complaining about it. Not everyone was lucky for tripping to save them from running into an attack like you. It's usually tripping that causes them to get hit by an attack that otherwise would've missed.

Smash and Pokémon are very different types of games. One is a [non-standard] fighting game where luck elements usually don't factor the game play, where another is a RPG where luck factors tend to be common place. I don't even wanna get started on how unlucky I tend to get in Pokémon. If you're gonna back up your point, at least make a more valid comparison.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
I confess that I feel tripping is unnecessary, butthe way I see it, learning to react to tripping is just as important as learning how to execute a combo. Can you honestly say that luck doesn't otherwise exist? Especially when there are characters like Game & Watch, Dedede, Peach, and Luigi . . . whose skills have RANDOM effects? This was the case even in Melee. Stages like Corneria were tourney legal in Melee, even though they had random factors involved.

I don't think people who don't like tripping are "*****ing", but it's one of those things that you either have to learn to deal with or stop playing the game entirely.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I've both been saved and doomed bytripping, i just see it as a part of the game, but maybe thats cause im not such a competitive player, more of a casual one.

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
A lot of competitive games have random elements to them, not just Pokemon. Poker and backgammon come to mind. Who you get matched up against in tournaments is also random.

That being said, I don't like tripping.

The trouble with tripping isn't that it's random, it's that it's random and infrequent. If 1/8th of all dashes resulted in a trip, it would be something you could account for- it would be a nerf to dashing. Choosing to initiate a dash would be a conscious decision to take a risk, either because the danger is low with positioning, or because romantic game theory comes into play, which I won't go into.

As it is right now, the chance of a trip occurring is far too low for it to be an actual element of gameplay or effective deterent to dashing/dash-dancing. It'll happen maybe once a match, and if you're unlucky, it'll happen to you, and cost you the match (most smash attacks tend to last longer than the invincibility frames). A deliberate adding of bad beats completely out of the optimial player's control. That's bad game design, and a misguided attempt to add probability to the game - chance needs to happen more often, not less.

I don't think it'll ruin competitive play outright, though it could ruin a few near-term tournaments. Increasing the number of best-of matches could help dampen the random element, but logistically, there just isn't always enough time. The community needs to think of a way to structure tournaments make these random chances tolerable; maybe trade out single or double elimination for swiss rounds til the top 16. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system_tournament)

Drazon

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I'm a Samus main and tripping only occurs when I dash. Even then it's at very, very low percentages. And when I DO trip, I'm usually pretty far away to not have it even affect anything. When a match boils down to the last stock, I never had a game losing trip. It just doesn't affect me at all.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, honestly, where's the argument here? The first response summed it up great.

A trip saved you, big deal. That doesn't mean tripping is a good thing, it just means tripping cost your opponent the match instead of you. Tripping meant the difference between a deserved victory and an undeserved loss. What were you doing running head first into a Fsmash? You deserved to lose, but you didn't. End of discussion.

Tripping awarded a victory where one was not deserved. It created a situation where greater skill did not dictate a victory. In competitive play, the goal is to remove as many outside factors as possible so that, ideally, the only factor that decides a victor is skill. The goal is to create a situation in which the player who should win will win. And tripping can screw that up.

What's so hard to see? Someone who deserved to win lost. That's not cool. It's stupid. That player worked hard to deserve that win, and instead a random game mechanic decided that they lose instead. Seems pretty lame. Why don't we just skip the match and flip a coin instead?

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
It's annoying. I don't think it's as big a deal as people put it out to be. When you are toe to toe in the finals at a tourny and die because of tripping I could see the annoyance, but the foe should have the same disadvantage (granted, certain characters stay in the air more than others).

Rebel581

Smash Champion
People complain about critical hits in Pokemon all the time.

Tripping shouldn't exist. It's not a huge problem and won't stop Brawl from being competitive, but it shouldn't exist.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty annoying...
It always happens at the wrong time...
I've tripped and got caught in a full charged forward smash by Ike... which sucked pretty hard :(

SqueakyMetal

Smash Cadet
Yeah, honestly, where's the argument here? The first response summed it up great.

A trip saved you, big deal. That doesn't mean tripping is a good thing, it just means tripping cost your opponent the match instead of you. Tripping meant the difference between a deserved victory and an undeserved loss. What were you doing running head first into a Fsmash? You deserved to lose, but you didn't. End of discussion.

Tripping awarded a victory where one was not deserved. It created a situation where greater skill did not dictate a victory. In competitive play, the goal is to remove as many outside factors as possible so that, ideally, the only factor that decides a victor is skill. The goal is to create a situation in which the player who should win will win. And tripping can screw that up.

What's so hard to see? Someone who deserved to win lost. That's not cool. It's stupid. That player worked hard to deserve that win, and instead a random game mechanic decided that they lose instead. Seems pretty lame. Why don't we just skip the match and flip a coin instead?
this guy wins. :)

tripping is a random factor. it doesn't matter whether or not your opponent has the same possibility of tripping. Just because he does, doesn't mean you will both trip at the same time. In fact, the conditions during the time in which you tripped would most likely be completely different.

(A good time to trip)
cause- I trip on Final destination after knocking my opponent away
effect- nothing much happens. i get back up and we continue our fight(I have enough time to stand up before he gets back)

(A bad time to trip)
cause- I trip on Final destination trying to knock my opponent away
effect- I am on my butt, sitting in front of his dedede smash(i would have been able to interupt his smash if i had not tripped)

and yes, i have lost a match to my brother for tripping into a most gruesome forward smash from ike.
lol ya know what would be funny? tripping into an enemy that was going to fsmash you, but instead tripped. :chuckle:

Xephalon

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is not annoying, its just part of the game so deal with it. besides you can use it for mind games. just dash dance behind your opponent until you trip. he'll fsmash, you roll back, fsmash, win. so its just another part of playing

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is not annoying, its just part of the game so deal with it. besides you can use it for mind games. just dash dance behind your opponent until you trip. he'll fsmash, you roll back, fsmash, win. so its just another part of playing
*laughs* Part of "random" is that you can't force it with any degree of accuracy, either, not just that you can't prevent it.

Sweet mindgame that only even happens 1 in a greater number of tries. Also, I doubt anyone would even fall for this once, much less more than that. Furthermore, if you're in his Fsmash range, and you roll back, there's a pretty good chance he's not in your Fsmash range now.

Exactly what part of it is not annoying? That it involves a "funny" little falling down animation? It's a random penalty for moving. "Whoops. Shouldn't have moved. That sure showed me."

Orpheus

Smash Cadet
I do admit that tripping is simply annoying and I have tripped plenty of times.
I haven't tripped right in right of a player's ko-smash or anything.
Still, even though I'm very competitive in games, it's part of the game.
I'm going to play and not quit.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet

As much as I see the argument that he deserved to lose, can you HONESTLY say that you have never been saved by a random occurence in Melee? Such as an Arwing attacking an opponent trying to edgeguard you on Corneria? Or a cloud that miraculously reappeared on Dream Land?

As I said, I agree that tripping is bad. I think Nintendo made a mistake putting it in the game. However, I don't see it as the detriment to competition that so many people lament. It doesn't ruin the game, it just changes it. It makes Brawl a lot more about defense and improvisation, and while it is somewhat irksome to those of us who spent time getting used to Melee, it still takes skill to win.

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
definitely annoying. a friend and i played about 10 matches last night, him as snake, me as luigi/marth/wolf... and tripping occurred 2-3 times each match (4 stock match). Oh, and i did lose a match because of it. as soon as he saw me fall, f-tilt combo ftw. oh well

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
I kinda belive that tripping is apart of some sort of hidden handicap feature, because im the best at the game out of all my friends, and I trip atleast three times every match, and most of my friends rarely trip, some of them not even knowing what happened, but it may also be charecter specifiect, like the faster charecters may trip more, but that's just IMO

I only find it annoying in Sudden Death >.>

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What would suck is that you trip and then get caught by your foe's attack. Seriously, I find this understandable on slippery terrain, but not on normal ground.

Top Bottom