• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tripping is NOT random

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'm going to say tripping is random, but I am also going to guess it always happens at the start of your running animation?

I rarely trip during normal matches. I was practicing foxtrotting earlier and was tripping like mad, I swear, in the 15 minutes I was in training mode I tripped a dozen times, probably about as much as I had tripped previously combined. That said, certain actions (eg. foxtrotting/dash dancing) may cause you to trip more often, but it's still random as there is a chance you will trip at the beginning of each run animation. Same obviously applies to f-tilts and other ways you can trip.

At least, I haven't tripped mid run. That would throw that whole theory off.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I trip only when I start a dash. I trip the most when I start a dash after I KO my opponent. I trip at the beginning of matches. I don't know what's up with it.

EDIT: Forgot to say, in response to ChaosBlade, I tripped while running today. In smash bros. I mean. I was dashing towards my opponent then right when I was about to reach him I tripped.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I trip a lot for some reason... I guess its because Sonic is my "favorite" (not best) main and I guess being as fast as he is he is more susceptible to tripping. Its really annoying though.

filly555

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone thought that maybe its there to balance the game? Since fast characters are always moving faster, they should be more likely to trip. I think it may be random, but it may happen more often to characters like Fox or Sonic.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Okay, guys, I don't know how many times I have to post this. One of my friend's was a tester for Brawl. He tried to write tripping up as a bug, and they said it was a "feature" implemented by Sakurai himself. There are four factors that affect it.

1) Movement
2) Character (Sonic has a lower chance to set off how fast he moves, but still seems to trip more frequently)
3) Terrain

And last, the very best one...

4) Whether you're winning or not.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I can't argue that it is random or not, but I've tripped maybe once or twice in my 40 hours of gameplay, I don't do any fast alternating dancing, perhaps this has something to do with it?

I'd suspect the use of Havok might have something to do with it, determining whether or not your character should be standing if you are messing with their feet or you run into an incline funny, try to do an awkward roll, etc.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I played a match with the wii-mote yesterday and realized that it forces you to walk before you can begin a dash.
Tripping was discovered at E4All, where you could only play with a Wiimote setup.

Even if you start out walking, you start dashing once you go into a dash. It's at this point that you can trip. Also, you might actually be able to trip from a walk. I haven't found conclusive information about this yet because I'm too lazy to search for Hitaku's post in the Inkdropping thread.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Okay, guys, I don't know how many times I have to post this. One of my friend's was a tester for Brawl. He tried to write tripping up as a bug, and they said it was a "feature" implemented by Sakurai himself. There are four factors that affect it.

1) Movement
2) Character (Sonic has a lower chance to set off how fast he moves, but still seems to trip more frequently)
3) Terrain

And last, the very best one...

4) Whether you're winning or not.
That's probably why I trip so much!

TheBigBadCow

Smash Cadet
Its definitly got to be both random and influenced by certain things your doing in the game... Its gotta be at least something involving dashing. All I know is that I seem to trip a lot in brawls when im playing (at least once per match), and I rarely see anyone else trip at all.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK, tripping cannot occur whenever it wants, like when you're spamming upsmash. However, tripping is still random. It happens approximately one out of 100 times when you do certain maneuvres. That's the whole concept of random.

Not every time, but sometimes. It's like playing the lottery every time you do these certain somethings, only when you win the lottery, you gain something. And the chances of winning the lottery are much smaller.

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
I like how you proclaim that tripping is "NOT" random, as if you've made some great new discovery, then offer nothing in your thread besides, "Well, it doesn't SEEM random..."

I'm glad you've got your own false theories that conflict entirely with all empirical testing and observation thus far, but please don't flood the forum with threads about them.
I LOLD 10c

Top Bottom