• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping is overrated

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get why there is a thread talking about tripping unless they are specifically researching about it still up here. Tripping sucks, it exists, it IS stupid, it hinders gameplay, and IS random. It also does happen in the air I'm going to try to get it up actually Lamugi has my VCC ATM, it doesn't happen in the air very often but I have had it a couple of times this times either way WTF? Why?! Thats ********... Unless of course sakurai didn't want smash to be competitive...
Dot

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
I've been hearing alot of complatints about tripping, mostly that, "it happens like once evry match."

Let me tell you something:

In the 500-plus matches I have played with my brother and his friend, we have tripped through running, not through attacks, A TOTAL OF ONLY 10-16 TIMES.

And thats ALL OF US COMBINED.

Where did this "Tripping happens at least once every match" bullcrap come from?!
You're crap :ohwell: I trip almost every single match. And YES, it has ****ed over wins for me many times.

50% of the time i trip with the first TWO STEPS TAKEN OF THE ENTIRE MATCH, what is this sakurai...

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I hope you're being sarcastic.

There was a whole thread about this. Sonic air trips if he lands at the peak of his up-b. Of course, that's the only one that has been explained. My Snake air-tripped once, and I still don't know why.
No, cause I never even heard about air tripping before, though I think i just happend to me earlier. It looked more like what happens after a footstool jump, but that wasn't what happend.

gammazuma

Smash Rookie
IMO tripping isn't random. When brawl first came out, a thread came out to determine if tripping was really random or not. They thought that if you hold your analog stick exactly right or left, instead of holding it at an angle, you tripped less. I tried it. I went from tripping about 1.5 times a match and now I would swear by the fact that I trip less than once every 5 matches. Then I started to play more and more of an air game. Now I trip so few times that tripping no longer annoys me.

That's what I think, and now you can argue how I'm wrong.

L__

Smash Master
^^10 bucks that's BS.

Anyways, I bet in the future if Sakurai decides to continue with Smash, he's going to have tripping while you're IN YOUR SHIELD.

Variola said:
We'll never be safe from the menace that is tripping.
You have no idea what Sakurai has in store for us. >_____<

fkacyan

Smash Hero
IMO tripping isn't random. When brawl first came out, a thread came out to determine if tripping was really random or not. They thought that if you hold your analog stick exactly right or left, instead of holding it at an angle, you tripped less. I tried it. I went from tripping about 1.5 times a match and now I would swear by the fact that I trip less than once every 5 matches. Then I started to play more and more of an air game. Now I trip so few times that tripping no longer annoys me.

That's what I think, and now you can argue how I'm wrong.
Get 1 Wavebird and 4 receivers. Make all 4 the same character in Brawl mode. Dash back and forth.

If they all trip at once, take a vid and I'll pay you 5 bucks. However, that 5 says that they won't all trip at the same time. Cuz, ya know, it's random. Or as random as a CPU RNG gets, at least.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
a character like sonic tripping in any situation is unrealistic, sonic is very familiar with running

Changing directions on a dime can make proper traction difficult, you still have forward momentum but your trying to run back the other way, you lose your footing an fall.
only if your a noob at running. If you can't run back and forth without tripping you shouldn't be a character in a fighting game.

Mister Aran

Smash Rookie
I hate tripping. It happens way too much. I don't even know why they put it in. When It happens enough, I just turn it off and play Melee.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Tripping is the addition a fool put in. Tripping is also proof of Brawl's failure.

I don't trip a lot, because I'm in the air, but I always trip when it matters. >_> Great.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
i will not argue that tripping isn't frustrating. (it is)
i will not argue that tripping is realistic. (brawl isn't)
i will not argue that tripping should/n't have been in brawl. (coulda shoulda woulda)

i WILL point out that just because it's random does not make it uncompetitive.

poker is random, and is competitive, MTG is random and is competitive, even pokemon is random, and is played competitively, the list can go on.
i didn't play melee enough to know all the random aspects, but atleast G&W and peach had them.
It was acceptable that peach could pull out a bomb, or G&W gets 3 9s in 2 mins. melee had random aspects, but was played competitively.

in brawl, luigi's >B can missfire, DDD can throw items (this can be stopped), G&W can still hit 9s, or 1s. yoshi's island can have a ghost save you.
it's not like like brawl is like chess, random elements in the game do not stop competitiveness, yes it sucks that you trip into someone's Fsmash (happened to me once, and yes it was ike's) on occasion, and yes it sucks that you could lose a tournament because of it, but the fact is, if you lost a melee tournament to a G&W 9, would it be any worse then losing because you tripped?

this is not directed at the people unhappy with tripping, but to the people that seem to hate tripping like it ruins brawl, or who seem to think that unless the game is chess or chess like, it's uncompetitive.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Yesterday, I think, I was runnin towards DK and he started charging a Foward Smash. I trip right next to him and fall behind him, and was saved yet again. I'm not saying tripping is always helpful(was blown up on the bridge of eldin because I tripped), but it really isn't as bad as you guys make it to be.

One thing I do hate, however, is brawl's KO system. Many times have I accidently self-destructed just for my foe to get the point. If I had a choice, I would keep brawl mostly the same, just add in the removed characters and keep melee's ko system. Cause Brawl is a different game, and making Melee 2.0 I don't know....isn't that appealing. I like Brawl's gameplay as much as Melee's, so I'd rather keep that in there and just change the crappy scoring system to the older one.

Vlade

Social Outcast
You either trip, or you don't every match. It's just down to it being random.
Air game = less tripping
ground game = more tripping than usual (obvious)

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to get rid of tripping now.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
certain characters also have increased chances of tripping; the faster your character, the more likely (sonic being the most likely, and bowser/dedede being the least...)

Top Bottom