• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble w/ Tilting.......

Moosecalibur

Smash Apprentice
Yea.......whenever I look at a character strategy guide and see that tilting is a major part of it, I just sigh and move on.

I just can't get the timing or something right, cause I always smash whenever I try to tilt, no matter what; unless it comes out by accident.

I need help, advice, a guide, SOMETHING to help me over this stupid curve in my competitive game, since I've resorted to having my c-stick be set to tilts, which kills my game 'cause it should be on smash attacks. :urg:

J18

Smash Journeyman
i too have trouble with tilts. i find it extremely difficult getting ftilts out quickly without dashing or smashing. and i play with tap jump (i could never do without tap jump), so i don't even bother trying to use the utilts. down tilts i'm alright with.

man i really need to learn how to do tilts out of a foxtrot, especially with sonic. hell i should learn how to do every thing possible out of a foxtrot

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Start by holding the analog stick forward to make your character walk but not dash and then press A to do a forward tilt. Practice it this way for a while seperating the two aspects and work on slowly getting them to be one fluid motion. Eventually your hands will adjust to the amount of pressure needed to tilt the analog stick rather than smashing it. You'll find that once you can do forward tilts consistently, up tilts will get easier too.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
when ur tilting, u dont need to have the control stick "tilted" all the way, u can just have it half, not even, like 1/4 of the length. thats what i do when i tilt, and it prevents jumping when utilt, dashing/smashing in any direction.

it just takes practice, and u need to have the feel for it. maybe u should go into training and tilt side to side and up and down, so u can bring ur control stick to the other side, and without smashing or w/e, get ur tilts through.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Not having your tilts on the C-Stick is the first thing to do.

They'll come naturally. I couldn't do it, I trained them. Thats all. TRAIN. Just go in SSE and only attacks with TILTS. Something like that.

Eventually you will get the hang of it.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Tyson is right. As a matter of fact, on a controller that is at all good, it will register the barest pressure in any direction as a tilt. If you just practice putting the slightest amount of pressure on the stick (I'm talking less than it would take to rip a single ply of wet toilet paper with sandpaper kind of pressure, here) in the direction you want to tilt, then pressing A, you'll get it fast. And once you get it, it'll seem like you just thought "utilt" and pressed A and your character did an utilt.

At least, that's how it seems to me. I mastered it in the first year of Melee, and have never had the slightest problem with it since, and since I'm a sucky n00b (at least according to anyone who disagrees with one of my posts), then it should be a piece of cake for you.

Oh, and by the way...DO NOT TURN TAP JUMP OFF!!! It will kill you eventually, since not only is tap jumping an important skill for competitive play (for instance, it make spamming fairs with Marth a hundred times faster and easier both in Melee and Brawl), but you cannot Kara Cancel upsmashes (think Snake's Mortar Slide technique) without it. The faster you get used to utilting with tap jump on, the better it will be for you, I promise.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Move it as fast and as far as you want as long as you don't touch the top of the motion area, and you'll tilt/walk.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that it's dumb to turn off tap-jump just because you're too noob to practice utilts a little. Seriously people, figure out the timing, practice. Eventually you'll figure it out. You only need to TILT the stick, just a bit. Quit hammering on it like a madman and gain some actual skill and control over you character.

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that it's dumb to turn off tap-jump just because you're too noob to practice utilts a little. Seriously people, figure out the timing, practice. Eventually you'll figure it out. You only need to TILT the stick, just a bit. Quit hammering on it like a madman and gain some actual skill and control over you character.
How does repeating what others have already said while also being condescending help?

It doesn't.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Just practice. I suggest keeping up jump on until you can utilt reliably without jumping, and practicing tilting the control stick. Once you've mastered that, you can turn up jump off if you had it off previously. Just to learn the proper pressure needed.

You can also just turn up jump off, press the direction on the control stick, and press the same direction on the c-stick.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Push the control stick about 1/2 way. That way you could leave tap jump on if you want. :)

Or, you can buffer tilts. Say you're doing a d-air. Hold the stick where it is when you land. Now press A and you'll dtilt.

If you seriously have trouble, go in training mode and practice doing tilts. Learn how to do an up tilt immediately after down tilt with tap jump on (to practice making sure you don't accidentally jump). And make sure you are practicing with a character that has relatively fast tilts, like Sheik.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
The biggest problem I've found, with tilts. Is regardless of how much pressure I put on the control stick if I attack at the same time I push a direction it's a smash. I had to teach myself to take a split moment off that press.

D

Deleted member

heres an easy way of tilting

down tilt - hold down and cstick down
forward tilt - tilt all the way (at a decent speed), once your char takes a step, press A
up tilt - dont tilt that much and press A

tilting is going to be a big part of brawl so get used to it

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
forward tilt - tilt all the way (at a decent speed), once your char takes a step, press A
This is actually a horrible habit to get into competitively. The attraction of tilts for me is that, while they often lack the power of smashes, they come out much faster and counter the attempted smashes/dashes of my opponents. If you take the time to wait for your first step, you'll be off the map before you even press A.

As everyone else has said, any good controller will register pressure as an attempted attack. To tap jump, you need to edge up on the control stick at least half-way. If you just push it a little, you should do a Utilt. However, in many cases a Ftilt will get some damage to people above you. Make that your top priority.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
I have a friend (who is very good at Brawl, incidentally) who uses the C-Stick for tilts, so I can't really say that there's anything wrong with doing it that way, but in all honesty, without turning Tap Jump off, you're going to have the same problem with utilts as you do with A, at least if you want to be able to pull them out fast. It's just a matter of preference whether you like to use the C-Stick or the A button. I use the A button simply to keep myself out of the habit of pulling out C-Stick tilts when I mean to do smash attacks.

But whatever the method you decide on, the key is left-thumb directional control. You must be zen. The gentlest breeze ripples the surface of the ocean to gigantic swells, and so will the slightest pressure up on the left stick send your opponents flying up from your character's crazy utilt.

Oh, and it's also an essential skill to play Yoshi, as well, if you want to use his up-B without accidentally using up your jump at the same time.

Top Bottom