• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with Taunt Trick

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I've been trying to improve with ZSS and Samus recently, though, one of the main things I'd love to get down first with this character is the taunt trick to change and alternate from one another. I can't seem to pull it off. Any tips? All would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and feel free to discuss.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I enjoy alternating between the two of them. I've been practicing with both a lot recently, and wouldn't mind trying to use this trick for mindgames. Just when they think that they have you all figured out, you alternate to Samus and so forth. Seems like a good use of mindgames and a good use of alternating your gameplay. Not just that, but it'd be fun to change characters mid match.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
My brother can do it seriously in like 2 seconds...(this is what he does. By the way, this is for the GC Controller.)

He flips his right hand so his fingers point to the left, and puts his pointer finger on the down taunt, and his middle finger on the top. He then kind of bounces his fingers really fast on the taunt thing. (while his fingers are still on them, of course...)

Adapt

Smash Lord
get used to doing it in training mode at 1/4 speed, then move it to 1/2 speed, 2/3 speed, and then finally to real time. get used to it in degrees

The only time i have ever used it is in the SSE though. After you get the power suit I would still rather be ZSS

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
I found a REALLY easy way. Try it out in training mode. Set the time to 1/4 then try it. ;)

But really, so you're using GC controller? I'm not much of a help there cause i use nunchuck but i know that when i used the GC i had to flip the controller and attack it with both index fingers.

Neat little trick though, not sure how practical. You take a nunchuck, press the joystick of it in the center of the D-pad, and kind of vibrate it with your arm. You have to keep the movement of it controlled, and small so you don't move the nunchuck off the dpad. Try it, for some reason i just remembered hearing about this, and it sounded absurd, then i just tried it and was able to do it on the like second taunt on my first try.

Edit: Eff the guy above me used my joke as an actual training technique. phail. =(

But that easing into technique doesn't really work, on 2/3 its pretty freakin easy.

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
I used to be really bad at it, but now I can usually get it on the first try, or the second for sure.
The way I do it is pretty normal, I just use both my thumbs and press up/down wildly. (if I miss it the first time, I keep pressing them so that when the second time comes around, I'll have inputted it as soon as possible).

You just need to press up+down three times each, and it doesn't matter if you hit any other direction either.
To sum it up, it's just a reflex skill that you need to train yourself to do.

Btw, to know the approximate time frame for the input window:
Up taunt (swishes her visor): you have until you hear the swish noise.
Side taunt (gun opens up): you have until the tip first opens.
Down taunt (looks both directions): you have until she finishes pointing in the first direction.

Hope this helps ;)

Adapt

Smash Lord
Edit: Eff the guy above me used my joke as an actual training technique. phail. =(

But that easing into technique doesn't really work, on 2/3 its pretty freakin easy.

i dunno... it worked for me except i started on 2/3 and then moved to realtime

I still can't do it perfect, but it doesn't matter... who actually uses this in a real match?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
On occasion when I forget to hold R I'll ask my opponent to let me change real fast as opposed to restarting the match and stuff. That's it though.

Ørion

Smash Ace
What controller are you using? If GC, just put your thumb across the D-Pad and quickly rock it back and forth. I read that on youtube and it took me from not being able to ever do it to having it down perfectly in like 10 minutes on normal speed. If your using a not gamecube controller....I understand it is almost impossble.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
it's ridiculously easy with the classic controller, because the directional pad is so huge! :D

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Usually it really shifts the momentum of the battle, say you are playing as Samus, you can switch, and instantly, your enemy must shift his strategy, and, assuming you are good with both, you can now proceed to take the advantage, but I suggest you do this after a star KO.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
i use wii+Nun, i unbound side taunt (since it gets in the way) then trained in 2/3 thirds time, just alternating 1-2-1-2, you need to do it 6 times, not the 8 that it says in the sticky, but i can only do it in 6 at 1/4 speed, you need 8-10 for practical purpose (or as practical as this trick can be).
you should get it down in 2/3 time really fast, but getting to 1x is hell, i ended up getting it about once every 10 times i wanted, then trained for 10 mins every day in 1.5x (any longer and my fingers ached) and as soon as i got one transformation, i went to 1x and could do it fine, about 90% of the time.
get rid of side taunt though, it can ruin everything.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
I enjoy alternating between the two of them. I've been practicing with both a lot recently, and wouldn't mind trying to use this trick for mindgames. Just when they think that they have you all figured out, you alternate to Samus and so forth. Seems like a good use of mindgames and a good use of alternating your gameplay. Not just that, but it'd be fun to change characters mid match.
You do realize you can't switch from ZSS to Samus using the taunt inputs, right? If you were unaware, that may be part of your problem.

Top Bottom