• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TV's and GameCubes

MrWizard

EVO Founder
Update: Its been a while since I started that other thread, with people saying I'm in to help, but no one has done or guaranteed anything concrete yet. We need some reliable help in getting TV's and GameCube's to Evo!

When smash got announced as the winner of the donation drive, everyone was happy. I got all kinds of requests to help out with equipment. But when I followed up with all the people, they all pretty much flaked out.

I'm turning to the community to help out because smash requires CRT's which cant really be bought in stores anymore.

So I'm turning to the community for help in securing equipment for Evo. Any help is appreciated.

Zhea

Smash Ace
So I don't know the actual situation with Nevada, but I have been recently picking up tv's for my local scene and Goodwill has been an amazing resource. I've gotten 2 28-32 inch for 7-8 bucks a pop with no issues. I know you considered renting at some point. As far as getting rid of them afterwords you could do just donate them back (it's how they get their goods). There is like 5 Goodwills in San Antonio and they always have old crt's.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Just shared this on Vegas Melee's Facebook page.
I know they had a handful they would store at the arcade they had their monthlies at, and there's plenty of thrift stores and pawn shops in Vegas.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I have five 20" CRTs (three of them will need a universal remote to get to AV channel) and live like 10 minutes from Paris Las Vegas. I also have two 13" CRTs, though not sure if those are too small to use for tournament. Do you need me to provide some of them immediately, or something?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Aisight you were the one I remember from the last thread who offered a good amount if tvs. Maybe you should e-mail mr wizard if you really can bring that amount just to confirm. I remember it was said they only needed 12 set ups for the tournament, that shouldn't be hard to do so I'm guessing he just needs to make sure people can follow up

Tero.

Smash Champion
12 setups? how many entrants will it have? like 36? lol.
I don't know how the situation in the US is, but here in Europe those CRTs are sold 2nd hand for just a few bucks (sometimes nothing at all), you should check some local newspaper or something like that.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I have no confirmation but people said they must already have a good amount but need more to make sure it runs smoothly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well the one worry I have is that I live with the guy who's going to be running a pre-event or something for EVO, so I hope I'm not offering up TVs that have been offered up already.

MrWizard

EVO Founder
So smash is over the 400 person mark, and smash will be running both days at Evo for qualifying. This is to cut down on the number of TV's needed. The current number is 14. I just didn't want to go out and buy CRT's because I heard some suck, and would rather you guys get ones that the community would be comfortable with. Evo is willing to help out with the cost of transporting them, and acquiring them

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Cool, is there a specific date you need them by, or is this all going down the night before the event, or what?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Mr Wizard...with >400 entrants, I hope we don't get the anime timeslot BibleThump

Also tony are you gonna be looking around vegas goodwills for crts? lol

phish-it

Smash Champion
400 entrants on 14 setups... I remember one MLG had that many setups with maybe 150 entrants. Playing friendlies was nigh impossible and after playing a tournament match I had to wait up to 4 hours before the next match.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
To run a melee tournament with (lets be real here, at the rate it's going...) 500+ people... 125 setups would be ideal. If we can't even get half of that. ****s gunna suck. No friendlies :(

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Why not Javi you said?

pic.twitter.com/LSE95FSzZ9

Many mexicans are interested in this tournament. I think you'll have a decent amount of them this time.

Aza said he's going.

Also, forget about Twin.
I never did hear back from Javi, he wasn't 100% sure he could make it, kind of in the same boat as Dark. Either way, PM me or something to figure that all out.

MrWizard

EVO Founder
We have been running tournaments for 17 years. We only need around 16 for tournament play.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
People telling him how to do his job lol. I think people are forgetting there's no friendlies on the tournament set ups. So double elimination over two days doesn't require the 40+ set ups were used too. Still need to bring a lot for friendlies but not a huge amount for set up Thursday night.

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
16 may be enough to run the tournament, but it won't be too smooth and the wait and lack of friendlies may agitate the players. At least 40 or 50 should be there in my opinion. Even if a lot of them were in a side room, it's important that people play friendlies and warm ups. You can get warmed up with other games if you play SF4. It has to be melee though.

We have a strong community, and most of us are more then happy to help. I'm sure you'll get a good amount of tvs

silverliight

Smash Cadet
No disrespect to Mr.Wizard i know you have been doing for 17 years but i feel like 14 set up is very low giving the fact that there is clearly going to be around 500-600 people possibly going and you have to consider the amount of time a match takes in melee compared to Marvel or street fighter some sets take about 30 minutes sometimes in a best or 2/3... maybe 25 minutes. also it depends how skillful the players are i could be wrong but thats how i feel.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
To have just enough time to run all the melee events specified within the given time frame, perhaps. But it would be nice to have ALOT more then that.
it is not the evo staff's responsibility to set up friendlies
that being said, as the numbers go up we'll probably need more than 14 anyway

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
it is not the evo staff's responsibility to set up friendlies
that being said, as the numbers go up we'll probably need more than 14 anyway
For sure man. I wasn't trying to tell you guys how to do things either. I realize you've been doing ur thing for a while. I've hosted roughly 30 or so melee tournaments since about 2003/2004 and i'm just really keen on doing my part to make this run as smoothly as possible. This is like...the biggest thing ever for the melee community. Thank you guys for all the work you're doing. ^__^

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
No disrespect to Mr.Wizard i know you have been doing for 17 years but i feel like 14 set up is very low giving the fact that there is clearly going to be around 500-600 people possibly going and you have to consider the amount of time a match takes in melee compared to Marvel or street fighter some sets take about 30 minutes sometimes in a best or 2/3... maybe 25 minutes. also it depends how skillful the players are i could be wrong but thats how i feel.
Remember, its double elimination pools. This isn't round robin where everyone plays everyone. You lose two sets, good fight, good night. Two days of pools as well.

MrWizard

EVO Founder
Also, you guys have to remember space isnt unlimited. This is a 9 game tournament, where we need space for other things as well. You guys should just rent a suite, and hold casuals up in there. Best idea ever!

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Just a naïve question,

What's wrong with Wii's with component cables + enabling 480p upon the game starts? It has 0 lag, and looks pretty.

Top Bottom