• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Two Sides of the Same Coin - Pit/ Dark Pit Meta Game Discussion

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Don't underestimate Robin.

But as a Pit main, I take both sides of this matchup.

Pit can apply pressure and intercept/reflect most of Robin's spells, but Palutena forbid Pit get caught in Arcfire.

Just keep close to Robin, and delay Thoron with the Light Arrows.

Coffee™

I need it....
Advice for the Robin Matchup? Maybe it's just inexperience with the mu, but whenever I face one, I get wrecked. Anything I should be looking out for in particular? Any advice is appreciated :shades:
Pit can play pretty aggressive vs Robin. I also just tend to walk around a lot and ftilt his landings as his landing options are pretty poop, which in turn generally puts him in place for followups.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Thanks for the overwhelming responses, really appreciating all the tips you guys are throwing my way! Starting to feel more comfortable with the matchup :)

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow Pit's,

I wanted to share with you a few things that I do in smash that I find useful but don't see mentioned often or at all. I don't believe any of these are game-changers but I find them effective. Some of you could possibly benefit from them and possibly add your own. That being said many of them are just spacing and zoning techniques. Someone may have already said a few of these so I apologize in advance for not memorizing an entire subforum.

* When approaching with an aerial, specifically short-hopped N-Air and Reverse D-Airs. While doing so use your upwards movement to approach and space out and enemy and then on the fall (You can use fast falling of course, but this does work without) retreating somewhat. This alone is a decent little mind game but it's real utilization is buffering a ground attack on the way down, preferably F-smash, D-smash, F-tilt, D-tilt, and Jab. This seems to often trick foes because several of the ground attacks out range or otherwise fill a different hitbox, while buffering the attack ensures it comes out quickly. This may just be me, but I also feel like the way the camera zooms in and out during this it somewhat obscures the start of the ground attack. Could just be tunnel vision though.

*Quick Mid-Air Jumps follow with D-Air: Situational and possible to escape from, I like the technique of rising D-airs. It can chain together and earn kills, and if you input the buttons quick enough it's a pretty quick ascent of pure wall'o'blades. When I first started playing this game I found this technique tough to use, but over time I have seen it's uses. If my explanation isn't the best I believe I have seen Pink Fresh use this technique if you'd like to see it's application.

*Pivot Grabs, Side-B's, and F-Tilts.: I saw @Conda had pivot side-b's specifically mentioned in a video a few days ago but I figure I should mention that doing this with grabs and F-tilts and possibly other moves is effective as well. In F-tilt's case it seems as if Pit has some extended range and if I remember correctly Brawl had a similar mechanic. Somethings of a mind game but it has many applications such as after short-hops, out of shield, after a few jabs, it seems to throw off opponents if mixed in properly. Also for anyone playing with a GC controller out there, I believe there is a mechanic where you can use both F-tilt and Grab with the Z-button on default controls based on the timing input, I actually can't explain how it works, but it sort of has a fluid feel that makes this technique feel quite fluid.

*Grabbing a foe on the edge and just letting him go: This has some other applications as well but the one I want to discuss is when you grab a foe near the edge just pummel him or hold him for a minute and just let them go. Most times people will opt into just dropping below the edge and jumping up to snatch it. Because of this predictable pattern, as Pit you can run right off the edge and fast fall a B-Air or a Reverse Side-B and at the right angles D-air. This can sometimes lead to stage spike and/or gimp. Really just running off the edge and fast falling aerials as Pit is a great strategy on it's own, but I find the grab and let-go often disorients opponents and sets them into the perfect position for this follow-up.

*Guardian Orbitars to Reflect Moves: I'm sure everyone knows that the GO's reflect projectiles, and many may know about the wind effect, but I don't see much talk about the uses of this effect. Personally I've used it to reflect many characters recovery and is especially useful when a foe over shoots by just a small bit or aims specifically at the very edge of the stage you can use this with the right timing and throw a character right into the void while in fall special. I have a video of me doing this with a Shiek that honestly looks like it actually reflects the attack and doesn't just push her, but I could be wrong. I'm too lazy too look and see if someone else has answered this yet or not (Back in the day Mirror Shield worked like this so it could be the case).

*Upperdash Usage: Not really a technique but since I myself am still skeptical of its overall effectiveness I figured this application of Side-B should be noted. After juggling an opponent in mid-air, it is common for them to DI of a bit to the left or right making traditional follow-ups a little tough. Now if read correctly you can follow up your aerial with a side-b and connect with the Upperdash at fairly high part of the stage helping acquire low percent kills. Fairly simple, but it does work pretty consistently with some experience. It does carry moderate risk due to the lag after Side-B, but if spaced correctly the risk can be minimized. This is probably not news to any vets, but for newer folks this is one of the only uses I recommend for Side-B until you are used to the moves nuances (Such as the lag cancels with aerials, which I won't detail here since I believe it has been detailed somewhat thoroughly elsewhere). Can be used in combinations with the Rising D-Air's from above.

*Shooting arrows straight up and Bending: It's common knowledge that you can shoot your arrow straight up, but what I never see mentioned is the unique applications shooting upwards has. If a foe is thrown high it is possible to kill him with an upwards area if he is close to a blast zone. Arrows also seem easier to curve and can cover a larger area when shot upwards, almost, to the point of curving in a "U" shape. Didn't deserve a specific entry but quickly curving an arrow up and then down again a few times, the arrows goes along a curvy sin wive that actually covers more square footage than a regular arrow, limiting foe's approach and attack options somewhat. I believe you can see this in one of Pink Fresh's videos as well, for reference.

*Not a technique but something I observed the other night, as I was in the super armor frames off Side-B I was hit with a spike. Of course, I didn't budge, but the foe dive bombed straight into the abyss. I'm like 75% sure that person just Fast-Falled themselves to death thinking they had spiked me, but even in the replay it doesn't seem clear. If anyone knows more, I'd be glad to hear it.

This list by no means comprehensive as I know I have a few more myself but at the moment I cant think of them (Much easier when I have freshly had the controller in my hands) but if you have any little tricks that don't quite fit anywhere else feel free to add to or comment on mine.

Nifubias

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this was already a thing, but I found that on Yoshi's ledge, or on any angled surface, do side b on it. You cancel the side b but the momentum from the slide that you get after it is maintained, making you slide a fair distance.

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Random, but I just wanted to point out how I was reading all of this matchup advice while listening to the Boss Music on Palutena's Temple Omega. It felt like I was playing Uprising again for a second. xD

Has anybody else been getting hit out of SideB a lot? It doesn't seem to be too reliable against some characters with long-range or disjointed attacks, due to the fact that the Superarmor wears off as soon as he starts the Uppercut animation. Found this out the hard way against Falcon. That Jab...

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
super armour fails me like 40% of the time -.-

especially on meteor smashes or long ranged attacks.

it seems as if upperdash has no super armour at some places...

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
I never use the Side B, but when I do I get knocked out of it.

I use it often for a punish, so I don't have to use the SA too much. I think it's way too easy to get knocked out of though, as it probably only works maybe 25% of the time for me. The other 75% is 25% for trades and 50% for getting knocked back. It seems to be affect by extremely weak moves as well as strong ones, and I can't find much consistency in when it works and when it doesn't.

Reyan

Smash Rookie
I usually do Side-B to punish people since I find it risky to go for it when I'm not going to go for the punish even though I have had times where I've gotten desperate for the kill so I would get predictable with Side-B which is always a bad thing. I definitely don't find the super armor in Side-B reliable since I do get hit out of the move sometimes (I've even got grabbed out of it). It might just be that the super armor is only in a specific part of the move but unfortunately I don't know which part of the move super armor would activate in.

busken

Smash Ace
I picked up Pit because I love stage denying and I feel like he has all the tools to do this effectively.

Countering Ledge options

While on the ledge the opponent has six options to choose from which are: climb, attack, roll, jump, let-go, and fast fall. Out of these options, they have various options they can choose from like let-go aerials, climb+shield, and edge attack. Some characters have specific options that are very safe and hard to punish such as jump+mid air jump+ fox illusion. In my opinion, Pit can space himself to the point where he can counter almost every possible option, while still being safe. For example, I am roll distance away from the stage, so the opponent will be hesitant to roll. I can also perfect pivot into jab, which beats get-up attack, and let-go aerials, while still letting be safe on shield as I spaced far enough where they can't punish me. If they shield, I can get a dash grab which I can convert into another edge guard situation. I can talk about this forever, but most of my content is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/countering-ledge-recovery-options.386458/ Basically, I feel like Pit has so many options to countering ledge recovery options that it minimizes the amount of reads you need to get the punish. Combine with reading opponent's habit and you can beat their ledge recovery options almost all the time.

Catching Landings

With four jumps, arrows, upperdash arm, good range, and utilizing foxtrotting and perfect pivoting you can effectively make landing harder then giving birth.... But in all seriousness Pit has all the tools to catch landings. You can bait air dodges with empty jumps, snipe them with arrows, catch them with up airs, power through with upper dash arm, perfect pivot into uptilt, J.C. into upsmash, your options are limitless. If you learn to read your opponent you can start using mix-ups and punish them even harder. By mastering these techniques you can make landing half the battle for your opponent.

Edge guarding

Arrows, and 4 jumps already make your edge guard game deadly. But when you count the fact that you have a meteor smash, a strong back air, and orbitors you have no excuse to not convert an edge guard into a kill. Arrows can snipe during the startup of their up b's and orbitors allow you to push away active hitboxs like diddy kong's barrels, and let-go aerials. His edge guard game is fantastic and he has all the tools to punish them virtually wherever they are.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
I never use the Side B, but when I do I get knocked out of it.

I use it often for a punish, so I don't have to use the SA too much. I think it's way too easy to get knocked out of though, as it probably only works maybe 25% of the time for me. The other 75% is 25% for trades and 50% for getting knocked back. It seems to be affect by extremely weak moves as well as strong ones, and I can't find much consistency in when it works and when it doesn't.
yeah the move is really risky, I tend to only use it when i read a dodge or in the air.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Any tips against Ness?
ness tips: I can't really say that much but if its a pit/darkpit matchup against him I wouldn't recommended using arrows for afar especially if your dark pit because of the speed, you could fire them he was of stage though. He has a good juggle wait so down throw or up throw into upsmash or upair is always a good way to pack on %. pretty much keeping him of the ground is key(like most other matchups.) If you can somehow get a down throw into bair that a good way to kill aswell if their still in hit-stun or forward throw to fair which can also lead to firing arrows while their of stage, some may want to asborb to heal % which is bittersweet for them because they will fall in the process.

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I'd like to know if I'm viewing the differences between the two Pits correctly or if I'm reading too much into trivial things. With the more horizontal launch of Dark Pit's SideB, is he seen as a better choice for those who prefer to fight offstage and gimp as much as possible, whereas Pit's more killable sideB and maneuverable arrows gives him a slightly different game (build percent, more juggles and high blast zone KOs).

Is this seen as a thing, or are they so similar I shouldn't really be reading into differing their styles? Currently deciding which one to go with and what to maximize the knowledge of my choice.

Last edited:

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
I'd like to know if I'm viewing the differences between the two Pits correctly or if I'm reading too much into trivial things. With the more horizontal launch of Dark Pit's SideB, is he seen as a better choice for those who prefer to fight offstage and gimp as much as possible, whereas Pit's more killable sideB and maneuverable arrows gives him a slightly different game (build percent, more juggles and high blast zone KOs).

Is this seen as a thing, or are they so similar I shouldn't really be reading into differing their styles? Currently deciding which one to go with and what to maximize the knowledge of my choice.
Pit is honestly just way better overall. Dark Pit's only potential advantage is Side-B gimps, which honestly is risky as Side-B has tons of lag in the air on missing. Also, Pit's regular arrows are gonna hit about 10x more than Dark Pit's, their maneuverability is just too good to pass up.

Treveen

Smash Cadet

Dark Pit will rack up damage faster. I aslo think (somebody check this) that he is less floaty so he might feel a bit quicker.
Pit does less damage but his arrows are more versatile, his side b is quicker and better for killing imo since it always hits upwards. also his ftilt is a kill move.

The way i see it, if the matchup feels even (the opponent's character doesn't inherently shut down options) then Dark Pit is a better choice because his ability to rack up the damage.

If the opposing character does shut down options (i find olimar very difficulty to approach) then Pit is the better choice because he has options to make up for it.

Duelisti

Smash Rookie
Dark Pit will rack up damage faster. I aslo think (somebody check this) that he is less floaty so he might feel a bit quicker.
Pit does less damage but his arrows are more versatile, his side b is quicker and better for killing imo since it always hits upwards. also his ftilt is a kill move.

The way i see it, if the matchup feels even (the opponent's character doesn't inherently shut down options) then Dark Pit is a better choice because his ability to rack up the damage.

If the opposing character does shut down options (i find olimar very difficulty to approach) then Pit is the better choice because he has options to make up for it.
Dark Pit's Side-B deals 0.5% more and arrows deal 2% more at full charge. These are the ONLY differences between the two in terms of damage output. It's barely even worth noting.

And no, Dark Pit is not less floaty.

Last edited:

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit's Side-B deals 0.5% more and arrows deal 2% more at full charge. These are the ONLY differences between the two in terms of damage output. It's barely even worth noting.

This. Also you have to take into account, that even if Pit's arrows do slightly less damage you will probably end up hitting more of them because you can control them. So that in a sense makes up for it in terms of racking up damage.

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
The ONLY differences are Arrows, Ftilt's knockback growth (DP has way less), and SideB's knockback angle. Everything else is the exactly the same.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Alright guys, I need some clarification here. I've heard contrasting theories surrounding Pit and Dark Pit's Side B Super Armour.

I was discussing match ups that favoured Dark Pit over Pit, and one guy said that Dark Pit is more useful against heavier characters as he puts out more damage (yes, very minimal, I know) and that his Side B has more Super Armour than the Upperdash. I apologise if this has been discussed before, but is that statement true? The same person went on to say that Pit has better chances against lighter characters as he can kill earlier.

I know we've stated that Side B damage, F-Tilt, and arrow speed/control/damage are the only differences, but I uh, would really feel more comfortable getting a clarification on this ^^"

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I apologise if this has been discussed before, but is that statement true? The same person went on to say that Pit has better chances against lighter characters as he can kill earlier.
I'm pretty sure it actually isn't. People tend to jump to conclusions like that when comparing the two and end up thinking they're seeing things that aren't really there.

The armor on Electroshock and Upperdash isn't all that reliable anyway.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I'm pretty sure it actually isn't. People tend to jump to conclusions like that when comparing the two and end up thinking they're seeing things that aren't really there.

The armor on Electroshock and Upperdash isn't all that reliable anyway.
Yeah I was a little surprised to hear him say that, thanks for clearing it up. But all that aside, do you agree that Dark Pit holds an advantage over heavier characters? Again I'm sorry if this was discussed already I just want to know :<

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't really see how he'd have any significant advantage. 0.5 more on his Electroshock isn't really a huge deal, and any damage lost from the Palutena Bow's lesser fire power will be made up by extra hits you get in from its curving ability.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
The only advantage I would say DP has against heavier chars is the distance electroshock sends them off the stage. If you can hit a heavy opponent with poor recovery like Ganon after he uses his second jump, electroshock would be objectively better than upperdash at anything other than kill percentage (assuming it's at the ledge, facing away from the stage) because the opponent might not be able to make it back. But, that's pretty situational.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
side step into down smash is my favourite option, it does the most damage and can lead to other things like ftilts, fair, or dash attacks. Not so sure about down tilt, i mainly use it as a mixup when diddy starts running up to me because it's safer to whiff than ftilit although you should go for jab if hes already really close to you since jab > grab. rising dair is also a really good option here. try these out sometimes too :p when he runs to grab you, run towards him and dash attack or grab him instead of waiting lol, might work due to surprise factor.

When rolling away from diddy....
ftilit, dtilt, famash, anything will work cuz of pits amazing range (rolling away from someone also often results in a sweetspot f tilt for me.)

When rolling behind diddy.....
diddy slides a bit after he grabs so i think dtilt would whiff after a roll (unless the ledge stops him). best to use pits longest range moves like f tilt or f smash although if you notice them whiffing you can dash attack. If you cant make it in time and diddy starts shielding (dash attack normally connects for me though) then mix it up and go for a grab instead.
hope this helps
Apparently we can hop of the stage after diddy and use our down b to gimp his up b. Since we're not actually hitting him, he'll fall with out being able to do it again.

On that note. Any tips on how Dark should edge guard? I've been recently been trying: ledge drop dair, slide of stage dair, short dair at the ledge, off stage dair, and then just tryng to land any hit that I can, but since I'm not fully aware of my options. It doesn't tend to work out in my favor, but ironically I mess up and on the way back to stage I accidentally footstool most of my opponents.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Apparently we can hop of the stage after diddy and use our down b to gimp his up b. Since we're not actually hitting him. he'll fall with out being able to do it again.

On that note. Any tips on how Dark should edge guard? I've been recently been trying: ledge drop dair, slide of stage dair, short dair at the ledge, off stage dair, and then just tryng to land any hit that I can, but since I'm not fully aware of my options. It doesn't tend to work out in my favor, but ironically I mess up and on the way back to stage I accidentally footstool most of my opponents.
footstooling your opponent can be a mess up, but it's deadly after a Dair
these were both unintentional :p but they worked. On that note does anyone know if this is a true combo?

Last edited:

Treveen

Smash Cadet

youre right. looks like im switching mains :3

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I usually go for a f-air. It's got enough active frames, good knockback, and doesn't need to rely on a sweetspot like his d-air does.

Don't be scared to go far off stage. Pit's/Pittoey's recovery is amazing, so there's little risk of them not being able to make it back.

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Only risky thing about their recovery is that it's linear and easily predicted, similiar to Fox/Falco's. They don't have to worry about as much activation, and they'll almost always cover enough distance to recover. Just beware of characters that like to continuously go for spikes (Falcon, Yoshi, Mario, etc), and always be ready to tech just incase they go for the stagespike.

Two questions. Does anybody know how to reliably tech stagespikes? Do I mash shield, or do I time it close to the time I expect to hit the stage, and just hold down shield?

What's the main way people break out of grabs? Mashing is the most common thing I've heard, but I've also heard about rotating the two sticks. I need a confirmation.

Last edited:

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
On-stage spike at certain percent lets you follow up with just about anything. I don't have the ability to test if the opponent can escape the set up, but every time I've done it so far, it's gotten me the kill.

If you spike the opponent on stage at low percents, they'll slightly flinch, but at higher percents ~90-100% depending on their weight, you'll spike them and bounce them up for a follow up with a f smash (for kill), up smash (for a more consistent kill when in kill range), jab/tilt/d smash for damage, and deepening on the percent a grab. You can also combo into aerials. Also you can combo non-spike dairs into bairs and other aerials depending on when and where you hit them.

Also you can hit several spikes together, but I don't know at what point the opponent can do something about it, it doesn't look tech-able It normally takes a little more damage before the f smash can kill after the dair starts to spike, so a dair into dair into f smash might viable, or double dair into up smash so you don't have risk going for f smash because depending on the position you land (in front or back) and their percentage, only the one hit of the smash will hit, so you would have to time it so the second hit lands.

Someone with two controllers should experiment with this, and see how many spike dairs we can do before the opponent can dodge out, or if the can dodge out of the smash follow-ups. I really don't think the smash follow-ups can be dodged because I believe I've seen Nairo land it as well, but his opponent just might not have known.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On-stage spike at certain percent lets you follow up with just about anything. I don't have the ability to test if the opponent can escape the set up, but every time I've done it so far, it's gotten me the kill.

If you spike the opponent on stage at low percents, they'll slightly flinch, but at higher percents ~90-100% depending on their weight, you'll spike them and bounce them up for a follow up with a f smash (for kill), up smash (for a more consistent kill when in kill range), jab/tilt/d smash for damage, and deepening on the percent a grab. You can also combo into aerials. Also you can combo non-spike dairs into bairs and other aerials depending on when and where you hit them.

Also you can hit several spikes together, but I don't know at what point the opponent can do something about it, it doesn't look tech-able It normally takes a little more damage before the f smash can kill after the dair starts to spike, so a dair into dair into f smash might viable, or double dair into up smash so you don't have risk going for f smash because depending on the position you land (in front or back) and their percentage, only the one hit of the smash will hit, so you would have to time it so the second hit lands.

Someone with two controllers should experiment with this, and see how many spike dairs we can do before the opponent can dodge out, or if the can dodge out of the smash follow-ups. I really don't think the smash follow-ups can be dodged because I believe I've seen Nairo land it as well, but his opponent just might not have known.
Spikes are almost always techable in this game.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
how do you tech them?
if you get spiked into the stage, just tech like normal. Sometimes, over the ledge, when you get spiked over the ledge, di towards the stage and hit shield right before you hit the stage. You can tech that way, but it is hard in sm4sh since sdi was reduced to almost nothing. I think the frames for teching walls is the exact same as teching the ground. For teching walls, you mostly have to expect yourself to hit the wall. It is really hard to react to. You kind of have to just drill it. That being said, when off stage and you get hit, always expect yourself to hit the tech. There is no reason not to. You get the tech off the wall? You survive. You don't get hit towards the stage? Try recovering again if you aren't dead yet. The worst case scenario is if you miss the tech. Then you rebound off the stage into the lower blast zone.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Mh I think Pit will be on B+ in the tier list.

He is fast, his arrows are good to rack up damage, strong attacks and easy to defeat opponents with arrows, guardian orbitars or whatever. ^^ But it will be very difficult to bring Pit in the near of the top in the tier list.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Unfortunetly Kid Icarus are unrepresented in general... becuase the most gamer want Zelda.......... or Mario.

I wish Kid Icarus appeal everybody... =/ In my opinion if the gamer would try Kid Icarus Uprising we would see a lot of Pit / Darkpit or Palutena mains.

It feels like Kid Icarus will ever unrepresented and will never so popular like Zelda or Mario. v.v

I'd like to know what are the current sales figures from Kid Icarus Uprising. I mean SSB4 helped this beautyful series with good advertising.

Last edited:

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
KI: Uprising perfomed well commercially if I recall correctly; critical reception was positive as well. I'll join the chorus and say that I'm pretty confused as to why the Pits aren't more popular as characters from their games. In smash though I'm not suprised as to why they don't see much competitive representation. The Pits are very well rounded characters with a diverse toolkit, a generous disjoint, and superb edge game. But being a jack-of-trades character, most players will slant to more defined fighters with a clearer game plan like Rosaluma's keep away, Diddy's and Luigi's grab games, Sonic's and Greninja's bait and punish, ect.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
For me, Pit can be played offensively or defensively. Defense > Zoning with your ranged atks, Arrow play. And offense with his hard punishing combos and grab game. Pit is such a viable Balanced character mainly because of his style of play, able to change to suit a player. Smash being a punish game also makes him more viable.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Agreed that the pits are a bit unappreciated in the current metagame; if you look for pink fresh on vgbc's youtube channel, he's shown some fantastic high-level pit play which might help with strategies

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
Out of the 51 characters, I'm willing to bet Pit will be literally in the very middle (25 or 26). In 64 and Brawl, halfway got you C and C- respectively, but in Melee, halfway got you A tier! Nairo's use of the two pits is key to them rising up in the tier list, as he is the only player I can find to score very high in tournaments with them.

Opinions of the non-tire list variety - Many times is a character developed with an offensive mentality, only to turn into a defensive character in a competitive scenario. The pyro comes to mind. In sm4sh Pit can be that character. Pit is used very spacing oriented, and to get a kill you have to know what youre doing.

EDIT:I probably couldve vomited on a notebook and it wouldve come out better than that last paragraph.

Last edited:
Top Bottom