• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB Melee Tournament + LAN Party + Brawl Touranament 11/20/10

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I know this a double post. Don't sweat. Placeholder for Brawl rules for the AiB topic. Might be subject to small changes.

Not a rule, but if you can, BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER AND KEEP TRACK OF IT.

Cost:
Singles: $1
Doubles: $2 ($1 per person)

Pot Distribution

Singles (60%, 30%, 10%)
Doubles (60%, 30%, 10%)

Metaknight banned!
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
• Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.
• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Stalling is banned.
Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.
• Some interactions (for example, a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalize on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is stalling.

Note: DDD's standing and small step infinite chaingrab on DK, small step chaingrab on Bowser, standing ledge infinite on Wolf and DDD, Marth's standing grab release infinite on Ness and Lucas, and ZSS air release infinite on Squirtle are banned in singles. Any and all other exploits including the Ice Climber infinites and air release infinites on Wario are legal until 300%.

Stages (Singles):

Neutral

Battlefield
Halberd
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Seige

Counterpick

Final Destination
Yoshi’s Island
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

Stages (Doubles):

Neutral

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Seige

Counterpick

Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Yoshi’s Island
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

First match determined by 1212 stage striking from the neutral list. Second (and third) match determined through counterpick/ban process (modified Dave’s stupid rule in effect: you can’t counterpick a stage you won at unless it’s agreed by both players).

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Set Ups

- Mages' DQ Rule

The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
2 Minutes Late – Warning
4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late – Loss of set
Are you seriously going to DQ people for being 6 minutes late? Also we have 7 set ups now.

Melee:
Dante Fox
Dr. Awesome

Brawl:
Junk
Vicegrip
Some Random Kid
Crackle

Brawl -:
A2ZOMG

We are unable to use Caleb's set up because he is not attending the tournament. :c

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Are you seriously going to DQ people for being 6 minutes late? Also we have 7 set ups now.

Melee:
Dante Fox
Dr. Awesome

Brawl:
Junk
Vicegrip
Some Random Kid
Crackle

Brawl -:
A2ZOMG

We are unable to use Caleb's set up because he is not attending the tournament. :c
I'm not guaranteeing it, I'm just reserving the right to if I feel like it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My setup is probably good for Melee until the Melee tournament finishes up. Then depending on how much time there is left, I'd try to make some setups for Brawl- or BBrawl. I'm pretty sure Dante won't miss my setup once he's doing crews. =P

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
My setup is probably good for Melee until the Melee tournament finishes up. Then depending on how much time there is left, I'd try to make some setups for Brawl- or BBrawl. I'm pretty sure Dante won't miss my setup once he's doing crews. =P
For Brawl, you forgot to ban DDD's standing infinite chain grab, Marth's grab release infinite on Ness and Lucas, Lucas's down tilt infinite, and Yoshi's grab release infinite on Wario, etc. :c

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Bad payout and format

Doubles (60%, 30%, 10%)
This is a bad payout structure because unless we are going to have 10 or more teams entering, the third place team will get less than their entry fee (meaning the amount of money they won will be paid in coins assuming no rounding). A lot of people are complaining about the format of the Melee tournament Most new people expect to lose two sets in a row so they prefer to pools to have multiple sets. We should make it pools with proper seeding like the Ranbat 1.4 when SoCal came. :mad:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Typos

Isla Vista, .
This typo needs to be fixed. The comma needs to be removed and there should not be a space between "Isla Vista" and the period.

Dante, do you have an estimate as to when the tourney will finish?
Dante should post the approximate starting and ending times for each event, but he has not. :c
For future reference, John and I are not pitching in money for any food related costs for Smash Club in the future. John and I pitched in $10 each for the sushi and this one new guy took like 12 pieces. I was playing Melee on the couch and turned around and I was like WTF. In the future Smash Club should use the club money to get food not from John and me. :mad:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
SLO was late the last two times (DSF's tournament / SBCC Gamefest)but if they are early / on time this time then that is good. :) Also Dante needs to use the green color coded "Brawl and Melee" title for this thread.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
8 PM is an unrealistic time considering the sheer number of entrants, lack of set ups, presence of pools, etc. Not to mention SLO will be late. :(
I'm taking all of that into account.

also it's not letting me change the prefix to "brawl & melee" for some reason. The only options are "pacwest, atlantic north" etc. basically the regional zones.

which is weird because I see that some threads have the "brawl & melee" prefix. Idk why it won't let me change it to that. w/e. The title of the thread already mentions both games so it's a non-issue.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
This is strange indeed since the Pound 5 thread has the color coded Brawl and Melee green color in it. :confused: Also you need to update the OP and tell the approximate starting and ending times like registration starts at 1 PM. Tournament starts at 2 PM, etc. Singles starts at 4:30 PM, etc.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Bad Format

Time (for the melee Tournament): you can get there as early as 11 am, but they'll just be setting stuff up, Registration will start around 1 pm, and I'll start the tourney with doubles around 2pm, then start singles when doubles starts winding down, probably around 4 or 5 pm. The full melee tournament should be over no later than 8 pm, after which we will do crews and then just play friendlies for the rest of the night until midnight, at which time the lan party will end.
This is a difficult format to read this in. The format should be like this:

11 AM: Venue opens, set up chairs and tables
12 PM: LAN Party starts, begin setting up TVs and systems, friendlies
1 PM: Registration begins (if you are in line after 1:45 PM, you will be charged a late fee of $1)
2 PM: Registration closes, Doubles Round Robin Begins
4 PM: Singles Pools Begin
6 PM: Singles Bracket Begins / Pizza Arrives
8 PM: Tournament Ends / Crew Battle
12 AM: Clean up

:reverse:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
There is a small chance I can make this tournament if I feel better by tomorrow morning. Also Dante should post the results of this tournament on the OP when the tournament is over. Dante never posts the results on the OP for any tournament he has hosted. He probably won't post the results for this tournament on the OP either.

:212:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, Dante should post the results or at least give it to someone to post it for him. Also Andymosity, Dante doesn't check his PMs, offline IMs, etc. sometimes so sometimes posting in the thread is necessary. Anyways, congratulations to Andymosity for winning the Melee singles tournament. Your Samus is good. :)

HaiWayne

Smash Cadet
can whoever also post a screenshot of the brawl single/double brackets? that wuld be nice :D

fun tournament, i did alright but had to go against people i know i had no chnance of winning (jun and david) hopefully one day ill improve enough that i could have a chance xD

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Doubles Results:

1: Santa Barbara Reset (Huy + Dante)
2: Andy and $heen (Andy + Sheen)
3: Slapping Machine (Cape + Joe)
4: Channel Juan on Cable on Television (Juan23 + Cho)
5: Peter and Jeff (Peter + Jeff)
5: We Drove 90 Miles to get our car antenna stolen while eating Korean BBQ (Willy + Steve)
7: Fox (Stefan + Chris)
7: Better Than the Awesome Davids (Andrej + John)
9: Undecided (Marty + Ray)
9: Corkscrew (Aaron + Eric)
9: Awesome Davids (David M + David C)
13: We don't play this game (Eric + Junk)
13: Team Sheik-Achu (Amanda + Rebecca)

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3909/meleedoublesbracket1120.gif

Singles Results:

1: Andy
2: $heen
3: Jeff
4: DanteFox
5: Master Helmet
5: Metal Reflect Slime
7: Marty
7: ICU
9: John (Shiek)
9: CableCho
9: Luckless
9: Juan23
13: Corn
13: Stev
13: ViceGrip
13: Michael
17: Warpstatus
17: Kenny
17: TAS
17: Junk
17: Spicy Crab
17: Robert
17: Dr. Awesome
17: Israel
25: Stefan
25: A2ZOMG

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8211/meleesinglesbracket1120.gif

Congrats to our winners, hope to see you guys again soon.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Why didn't you texted me back when I texted you asking where was Juan? Playing Juan could have been crucial since it would have helped my :sheik: versus :samus: game. Also the :samus: icon takes up a lot of space. We also need Brawl results.

HaiWayne

Smash Cadet
Brawl singles:

1 Junk
2. SRK
3. Curtis
4. ViceGrip
5: John (Crackle)
5: Warpstatus
7: Kyle
7: A2ZOMG
9: Duncan