• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSC Smash?

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
Just checking to see if there's any UCSC smash scene at all, since I'm gonna be dorming it up there this year. Brawl, Melee, 64, anything?

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
Alright cool, I'll probably end up meeting up with you guys then when I get down there, I'm dorming in College 10, hows that?

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
Well, good to know that... it's known for a ****ty midnight tournament, =P

Anyway Prodigy is College 10 fun or is it pretty square?

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
yeah dont ever go to Porter gaming tourneys. They're bad, and you don't really win anything.

Being fun or square depends on the luck of the draw w/ floormates and RA, and what kind of person you are. If youre looking to live the Santa Cruz stereotype, you probably shouldve gone to Kresge. College 9/10 contains 90% of the Asians on campus. If anything, you have one of the best dining halls on campus :D

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
Mmmm, well I guess I'll have to try to unsquare up my hall. Gonna get some **** going on when I get there, =)

tutata

Smash Ace
Hold on just one minute. Im going to UCSC this year to. I guess i have to represent porter, cuz thats were my dorm is at. I guess i will have to help organize these ****ty tourneys, you guys better hit me up whem im up there, im up for ssb,ssbm,ssbb, so just hit me up My aim is xtutatax
If you pm i can hit you up with my cell. I hope to smash it with you guys when i have free time. Lets try to make a bigger smash scene up there.

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
This sounds good, I've been out of real smash competition for a while now, so I guess UCSC will revitalize that. (Prodigy are you 21?) :)

tutata

Smash Ace
Hey ProdigyKid, i have only smashed it with one person all my life, in Meele and that 1 person stopped playing me in meele and did not go to smash boards, i wonder how much better i will get playing different people. Oh ProdigyKid, why is there so many hippies in UCSC? How can i avoid getting my brains eaten out and turned into a hippie by a hippie?

PHD

Smash Apprentice
Hey ProdigyKid, i have only smashed it with one person all my life, in Meele and that 1 person stopped playing me in meele and did not go to smash boards, i wonder how much better i will get playing different people. Oh ProdigyKid, why is there so many hippies in UCSC? How can i avoid getting my brains eaten out and turned into a hippie by a hippie?
Don't go to Porter or Kresge, they're all over there...

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
rofl Mike the hell you come from? He's right though

Too bad this guys living at Porter...

Don't walk alone in the forest at dark.

But to put it simply, don't hang out with them. Best way is to make friends in your major-related classes. You'll be seeing a lot of them through the years, and are likely to share similar interests.

And as for playing different people, you will get plenty better. Playing more people allows to you get different types of experience, including character matchups, handling different types of playstyles, etc. There also comes the part where you're determined to get better and better, cause in my own example, I couldnt stand to lose to PHD, so I stepped up my game etc. Also, one of our friends used to be good, and better than me, then I got better then him, and then this past year, I was his housemates programming partner, so after we were done, my friend and I would play for a few hours, and I could see him becoming for consistent and more fluent. Then came the last UCSC Melee tourney of the year, and he surprised everyone. And in turn, I learned how to fight Falcon with Marth, and Samus w/ ICs.

In short, playing different people allows you to learn more about the game, or pushes you to learn more. Thus making you better.

See you again in a month.

SuperRad

Smash Master
I'm not very good at getting better at stuff. It's kinda weird to think about that, but most things either come naturally to me or I struggle like hell to try and get better.

Smash has always been the latter for me. I always feel like I'm getting better but I still get whooped by everyone. So, while what PKid says is right, it's not the be all end all solution to getting better. I always felt like my improvements came in strange bursts. Hyuga taught me to DI better (still suck at it). I played like 3 friendlies against GERM where I got better on each one. But there were certain people I would play and feel like I didn't learn anything or get better from. I swear I got worse playing against Frotaz and I definitely wasn't getting any better 'playing' against Zhu.

As for Santa Cruz and the hippies, just be smart. Avoid downtown on wednesdays. Don't start listening to jam bands. Take a shower and wash your hair often.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hi guys.

I'm moving back to Santa Cruz somewhere around like Sep 8-10. I have these exams I have to take the 16-19 though so I won't be available until after that. I live just south of downtown and I'm almost always willing to have people over for Smash

tutata

Smash Ace
Hyuga is the rest of your crew still in santa cruz? PKid , to bad im already in porter lol. Pkid, how is it that there are some many hippies there, i mean do they like recruit them from the santa cruz high schools or what.

SuperRad

Smash Master
most of the hippies don't come from the santa cruz high schools, let me tell you that. all the people i know from my high school that are staying in santa cruz to go to UCSC are nerdy types.

i currently blame socal for the hippies.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
rofl Computer Game Design majors.

As for the crew:

Frotaz lives about 15 minutes away
foxroar is omnipresent about 10 minutes away
and BTZO lives as far as ****

But theyre still around and will be willing to all come up on a given weekend.

its pretty easy tutata, dont be a society dihck-rider and you should be fine.

And i honestly dont know why theres so many hippies. There just are.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
There are two main reasons for the hippie infestation. The first is that there is a college there, and plus historically it was an "alternative" and liberal college. The second reason is that SC is a major surfing place, so you get a ton of surfer bums, beach bums, and burnouts.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Its also in the middle of a forest. The ganj is cheap as F*** there too. The hippie infestation isn't really a bad thing though.

tutata

Smash Ace
Any other smashers up there besides you guys or others that weren't named up there? Im going with the art mayor atm, but my passion is for video games, but i suck dik at math will there be places were i can go to get help or tutoring for some one not that good at math? I dont think i should not do the video game design mayor just cuz im not good at math. Also do you guys think it be a bad idea to dorm with a smasher? Like after the 3 weeks just move in with a smasher? What about the housing its expensive, should i move the 2nd year, ahhhrrg so many questions.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
There are a couple others that occasionally play. Modestly Rotund Brian is one, PHD, Mikkuz, etc.
I'm a graduate student in physics, I can help you with math if I feel like it. I think you should dorm with someone that you'd have a good chance of not getting annoyed by. Housing is expensive because it's fu
cking Santa Cruz.

SuperRad

Smash Master
****ing Santa Cruz is right.
on a similar note, i will no longer be in santa cruz come saturday, but i would take a bus back into town to hang with Deep Norcal sometime. [Speaking of, are Frotaz/Foxroar playing Brawl? BTZO?]

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
****ing Santa Cruz is right.
on a similar note, i will no longer be in santa cruz come saturday, but i would take a bus back into town to hang with Deep Norcal sometime. [Speaking of, are Frotaz/Foxroar playing Brawl? BTZO?]
Revive NCBs please. For the sake of hanging with us.

Heres the breakdown:

Me: Brawl
Sheridan: Brawl/Melee
Frotaz: Brawl (yeah he hates Melee, but I'm sure he'll play with us)
Foxroar: Melee
BTZO: Melee

We'll all play the other game for kicks and giggles, but no longer in a competitive level. (though I might play Melee teams only. Less tricks required :3)

SuperRad

Smash Master
unrelated[ish] to ucsc:
sheridan could i potentially stay at your house friday before axis?
if yes
minh are you going to sheridans and friday and could possibly give me a ride from SJSU or something? i'll pitch for gas.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
hm yeah probably Brian. Though I will want to pick you up mid afternoon cause I hate traffic. Then I'll ask Sheridan + Pocky what time things are happening. And you can feed me something delicious (depending on miles since unfortunately youre the other direction.

Oh Sheridan you up for teaming for Axis? If not I'll ask Edrees.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
or you can take the Bus 81 from SJSU to my place X]

It drops you off a block away

And I wont make you buy me lunch (I dont like having people pay gas if I'm going to someplace anyways, unless the insist of course)

Top Bottom