• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSD Winter Smash II - January 12th & 13th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katz

Smash Rookie
Man, I totally got ***** in singles; but I assure you that it was in the most pleasant way possible. :cool: See most of you guys tomorrow.

bruceleeland

Smash Apprentice
haha first tournament and we got 7th place for doubles! yay for orange juice :D and i got 2nd in my pool! i'm so happy :]

Awex

Smash Lord
Oh geez.. I'm 1-3 in pools. I've got to win out. At least my game vs DSF is out of the way... ;x

Props to mango for signin' mah jigglypoof. <3

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I WILL GET REVENGE

:O

No gay Corneria next time

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Crazy turnout, anyone who didn't go is lame. That's right I said it. Anways results:

DOUBLES 52 Teams
1: Four Leaf Mango (Luck + Mango)
2: BFF (Hugs + Zelgadis)
3: Happy Feet (Zhu + DSF)
4: Fury of Sticks (Edrees + Bone)
5: Kira's the Boss (Boss + Kira)
5: The Death of Mike Haze (MikeHAZE + Death)
7: Ernie Rays Jr. (Pnoy + LHG)
7: Orange Juice (Antonio + Leeland)
9: Oh Snap! Don't drop the Zoap (Snap and Zoap)
9: White Babies (JTB + Fabian)
9: Ahhh my DI is terrible (Hugo + Ohpistachios)
9: Donkey Punch (Daniel + Anto)
13: Tag Team (Hitori + Roy)
13: Lobsters of Amazing Manliness (DarkMike + Padst)
13: Blitz talks **** (Blitz + Claire)
13: 3 hits 80% (Saint Patrick + Gimpyfish)
17: The Bored Breakfast (JFK + Juice)
17: Kazumi Tricks (Festizzio + ResidentWaffle)
17: MCP+JFlo (MCP + JFlo)
17: Rickylep (Rick + Azn_lep)
17: Too Goosh (Ivan + Jesse)
17: Sun Bayers (Dread101 + HydroKirby)
17: Indefeatable (Hyuuga + Patsu)
17: True Friends (Gonzalo + Edwin)
25: I don't care (KO-M + Zephyr)
25: Chubby Chaser (Awex + Nicktendo)
25: Death Cancellers (Seige + PH)
25: Hall and Oats (Oats + Hall)
25: Cookies and Cream (Fratman + Kigo)
25: Team Manly (NT + YNOK)
25: Zensanti (Zen + Santi)
25: Team Got'ems (ISB + WayChu)
33: Juan and Shawn (Juan + Shawn)
33: Apples and Oranges (Nabil + Steve)
33: Pair of Domination (Jack + Scott)
33: 703 (Albert + Johno)
33: Team Random (Dodger + Henok)
33: Smash Assasins (Josue + George)
33: Clock Crew (AMPM + PinkFloyd)
33: Invincible Apples (Jaime + Ray)
33: Dream Team (Brian + Anthony)
33: Holiday Sheiks (Ferr + Todd)
33: Best in 818 (Simon + Paul)
33: Salo (Michael + Soloman)
33: Intense Scandal (Mark1 + Engdrew)
33: 706 (Greg + Justin)
33: Beej+Sang (Beej + Sang)
49: Steven Seagal (Ari + Pheonix)
49: Reefers (Broome + Max)
49: Alan+Jose (Alan + Jose)
49: Chocolate Starfish (CTV + B)

Singles is currently 2/3 through first pools (16 pools of 9, we've finished 12). Which is understandable since we had 144 entrants. WTF that's a lot of people! So far things are running pretty smoothly aside from pools taking forever. I'll go ahead and put up a tentative schedule for tomorrow.

10:00 AM Set-up and Friendlies
12:00 PM Finishing singles 1st Pools (3 incomplete, 4 unstarted pools)
2:30 PM Singles 64-Man Bracket
7:30 PM Grand Finals
7:45 PM Crews Round Robin
10:00 PM Wrap-up

Awex

Smash Lord
Well I got ruined.. I'm so noob. ;(

Tons of fun though. Mad props to Mango, Gimpyfish, Rickety, and everyone I played against. <3

LHG

Smash Journeyman
Freakin' had a blast with all the games and meeting new smashers and seeing the old ones. Was excited to see everyone from Nor-Cal and northern So-Cal come down to SD.

Shoutouts in a later post. TOO GOOD.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely demolished! Owned! Wrecked! Torn to pieces! You require for Vespine Gas!

Yeah, that was me. I was T-KC, the guy who got owned by EVERYONE. I honestly was not expecting this many high-caliber players to show up to this. When I signed up, there were only 12 people on the registration list (that I saw anyway). I figured at least half of them would be people from UCSD or San Diego in general who were either going just for the fun of it (kinda like me) or overrated themselves. Well from what I saw, almost everyone was better than me, and most were what I'd consider pretty high level.

My last Smash tournament was 2 years ago. Even though it was a small event, I met Ken there. At that time, I knew nothing about SmashBoards and only vaguely was wave dashing was. I knew that the Advanced How To Play and competition videos would create a lot of gamers, but wow! I practiced for this last week or so for this. I had wave landing down pretty well and wave dashing was starting to get natural (though not fast), as well as several of the other advanced techniques. Under the pressure of good humans, I wasn't able to do any of this very often and it probably looked like I hadn't practiced at all.

I lost to everyone. 2-0. And then, in a game with someone close to my skill level, some guys started fidgeting with our TV. I paused the game until they finished, then un-paused and continued, winning my first match... I'd forgotten to tell him I was gonna un-pause. So we decided not to accept that match. He let me choose, and I chose Fountain of Dreams which is a good level for Link, but apparently a better one for Ganondorf. The guys who were fidgeting with our screen came up with a great idea: to put us up on the projector covering 2/3 of an entire wall of the ballroom! Wonderful! I didn't want this, and let him know it. The other player (a Ganondorf) seemed to agree with me. But that didn't matter, and soon we were up on the screen. I wasn't embarrassed enough, so now EVERYONE gets to see how much I suck. And the G-dorf player (forgot your name, sorry!) did really well in this next match and beat me with only losing a stock... So we went random next time. Fountain of Dreams again. I did better, but eventually I lost.

Took us two hours and some planning to get to San Diego. I'd brought my Cube, game, a memory card copy, and some controllers which ended up being useful. I hadn't managed to get the whole day off from work, so I had to leave at 3:00 or so. A two hour trip home; luckily, we managed to not get on the correct freeway and just took another freeway, more out of the way. I say luckily because when the freeways met up again, the other one had some bad traffic. Straight to work, changed, etc..

Well, it was fun even if I got completely demolished. I finally played some really good players, and I don't mind losing so much. I knew I wouldn't win it coming in. It was a privilege to fight you guys. I just wish I didn't have to leave so early and miss all the best bouts! It really disappointed me! :(

Fun Fact: I looked like a moron in front of Gimpyfish THREE times!

1) A few minutes after he arrived, I dropped my GameCube as I was setting it up. I broke its with the cords and my foot, but it still hit the ground.
2) Something was wrong with my registration in the pools ("He's over here, but he's not over here." "Is something wrong with the display?"), so they said they were gonna fix it. "Wait right there, we'll take care of you" they said. So I stood there with a dumb smile on my face for probably 4 or 5 minutes before I looked on their screens: YouTube. *Cough* I'd just stood in front of the administration stand for 5 minutes staring off above their heads like a ******.
3) Gimpyfish was sitting down in the audience to watch me get smacked by Ganondorf.

Ooo! I did my first successful bomb jump (Link)! I felt so cool for the 6 seconds before I died after getting back on the platform!

I got wave shined for the first (second, third) time! They didn't manage the fully wave shine => shine spike in one combo, though (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom