• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate questions

Diemian

Smash Rookie
2 quick questions!
Does ult have sm4sh's unmoderated report system/banland?
Did they remove 1v1 for glory for good or are they planning to add it then?

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
Unfortunately, I dont think Sakurai is planning on changing the way online/rank works. This is sad because even tho sm4sh didnt have a perfect 1v1 system at least it didnt suck like ultimate do.

Diemian

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, I dont think Sakurai is planning on changing the way online/rank works. This is sad because even tho sm4sh didnt have a perfect 1v1 system at least it didnt suck like ultimate do.
Why did they remove 1v1 fg? Wasn't that the most popular online mode in the last one? No info on banland anywhere on the internet yet, but it did take a month or 2 for people to notice they put in that horrible "feature" in the last one, maybe I just gotta wait more. It's only been over 2 years trying to find out if a video game has an unmoderated report system, what's a few more weeks I guess. ****in Nintendo man...

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
I guess for glory is still in ultimate but under a different name, with preferred rule. Only thing that is grinding my gear when I play this mode is the fact that you cant fight the same guy with different character, for example if someone is beating me while im using someone i dont master, i would like to have the option to switch character to get my main to whoop that guy ass, like in smash 4. But now im stuck fighting the same guy over and over again with the same character. Plus I hate the fact that you cant taunt anymore and that you gotta wait like 30-60 second between each matchs because i guess Nintendo cant make a faster rematch option.
For banland I have no idea so i cant help you with that sorry mate!

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I guess for glory is still in ultimate but under a different name, with preferred rule. Only thing that is grinding my gear when I play this mode is the fact that you cant fight the same guy with different character, for example if someone is beating me while im using someone i dont master, i would like to have the option to switch character to get my main to whoop that guy ***, like in smash 4. But now im stuck fighting the same guy over and over again with the same character. Plus I hate the fact that you cant taunt anymore and that you gotta wait like 30-60 second between each matchs because i guess Nintendo cant make a faster rematch option.
The reason you can't change fighters before a rematch is because your GSP, and therefore your matchmaking, is tied to individual characters

Obviously it sucks but it makes sense because of the design

Diemian

Smash Rookie
The reason you can't change fighters before a rematch is because your GSP, and therefore your matchmaking, is tied to individual characters

GSP. Makes sense. Choose one. =p

I guess for glory is still in ultimate but under a different name, with preferred rule. Only thing that is grinding my gear when I play this mode is the fact that you cant fight the same guy with different character, for example if someone is beating me while im using someone i dont master, i would like to have the option to switch character to get my main to whoop that guy ***, like in smash 4. But now im stuck fighting the same guy over and over again with the same character. Plus I hate the fact that you cant taunt anymore and that you gotta wait like 30-60 second between each matchs because i guess Nintendo cant make a faster rematch option.
Wow they really **** the bed on this one...oh well. Maybe sm6sh will be good.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
GSP. Makes sense. Choose one. =p
No, what makes sense is the inability to change characters within the context of GSP. I never said anything about GSP making any sense at all.

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124

I get your point and I aint no game designer so I'm probably wrong with what im about to say, but i'm pretty sure a billion dollars company can figure out a way to make the rematch system a little bit more interesting, for example : Let's say i'm fighting someone and we both have a GSP of 2 millions with the character that we're using at the moment. After the fight, it be nice to have the option rematch or character selection for a rematch, and when you choose this option the character select screen appear and you can rematch the guy only with character who are around the same GSP so other character who are stronger or weaker are locked (Locked like in elite smash where you can only play Elite with character who have a certain GSP).
Not sure if i'm making sense right now haha. But yeah, I think Nintendo could find a way to implement a better rematch system who take in consideration GSP.

Diemian

Smash Rookie
No, what makes sense is the inability to change characters within the context of GSP. I never said anything about GSP making any sense at all.
It seems nothing they're doing makes sense anymore. I might just skip 5 and hope they don't poop the bed on 6 at this point. Haven't been really keen on Nintendo since they released limited edition plastic figures that contain game dlc, I don't know what to do anymore gaming wise honestly, it feels like this is the dark age of gaming. Random design decisions, loot boxes, paid cosmetics, amiibos, my favorite hobby is going downhill fast... and now smash is out. Bleh. Super downer bros...

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
It seems nothing they're doing makes sense anymore. I might just skip 5 and hope they don't poop the bed on 6 at this point. Haven't been really keen on Nintendo since they released limited edition plastic figures that contain game dlc, I don't know what to do anymore gaming wise honestly, it feels like this is the dark age of gaming. Random design decisions, loot boxes, paid cosmetics, amiibos, my favorite hobby is going downhill fast... and now smash is out. Bleh. Super downer bros...
Even tho i'm talking a lot of trash of smash 5 in this thread i'd be lying if i said that I didnt like the game. The game sure can be frustrating online but you get use to it. I love the game, didn't have this much fun in a smash game in a very long time. I can easily say that's it's one of my favorite smash game and it would probably be my favorite game of all time if it wasn't for the not very good online play. I think every fan of the smash series should own a copy of Ultimate cause I'd be dawm if that game isn't amazing.

Yes I know I have a very bipolar opinion in the thread.

Diemian

Smash Rookie
Even tho i'm talking a lot of trash of smash 5 in this thread i'd be lying if i said that I didnt like the game. The game sure can be frustrating online but you get use to it. I love the game, didn't have this much fun in a smash game in a very long time. I can easily say that's it's one of my favorite smash game and it would probably be my favorite game of all time if it wasn't for the not very good online play. I think every fan of the smash series should own a copy of Ultimate cause I'd be dawm if that game isn't amazing.

Yes I know I have a very bipolar opinion in the thread.
Id buy a switch for smash, just like I've bought the last 2 consoles just for smash, if It doesn't have the unmoderated support system in it. I just can't justify spending money on a toaster that's gonna ban me from toasting bread for 2 weeks because I toast bread well. Been a Nintendo fan since before I could walk in the 80s, been a smash fan since 99, but I'm not doing that again.

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
Id buy a switch for smash, just like I've bought the last 2 consoles just for smash, if It doesn't have the unmoderated support system in it. I just can't justify spending money on a toaster that's gonna ban me from toasting bread for 2 weeks because I toast bread well. Been a Nintendo fan since before I could walk in the 80s, been a smash fan since 99, but I'm not doing that again.
Interesting, and I get it dont worry, so far I never saw or heard of someone getting ban for nothing but the game hasnt been out for long so maybe it will happen in the future who knows! I hope not tho haha!

link2702

Smash Champion
Just an FYI, there is an actual report system in place, but it’s kinda “hidden.” I guess to try and stop some false reporting. In order to do so, you have to go to the vault and look for past players.

They do ask for a reason for why you reported someone this time, including typing an actual comment, so there might actually be someone looking through the matches. As a result, I would be careful in making sure you’re reporting someone for a serious reason such as teabagging. Because you could possibly be banned yourself for false reporting. If you get salty from a lose, take a break but don’t report em(again unless they were doing something like teabagging during the match.) instead try to relax and think what you could have done differently that match.

Diemian

Smash Rookie
Interesting, and I get it dont worry, so far I never saw or heard of someone getting ban for nothing but the game hasnt been out for long so maybe it will happen in the future who knows! I hope not tho haha!
Ya it took a while for people to notice it in sm4sh, Nintendo didn't release any info then either. I just can't buy a switch until I know for sure.

Diemian

Smash Rookie
Just an FYI, there is an actual report system in place, but it’s kinda “hidden.” I guess to try and stop some false reporting. In order to do so, you have to go to the vault and look for past players.

They do ask for a reason for why you reported someone this time, including typing an actual comment, so there might actually be someone looking through the matches. As a result, I would be careful in making sure you’re reporting someone for a serious reason such as teabagging. Because you could possibly be banned yourself for false reporting. If you get salty from a lose, take a break but don’t report em(again unless they were doing something like teabagging during the match.) instead try to relax and think what you could have done differently that match.
I don't report in games unless it's a hacker. The problem was in sm4sh, I'd be reported constantly for having a slightly higher than average win rate and get banned. For pressing button properly. In a game I paid for. Why would you report people for tea bagging? Isn't that when people crouch up and down? Crouch all ya want I just wanna play honestly.

R208

Smash Cadet
For the Reporting part of the question: To report a player, you now have to exit Online completely, go to Vault, Records, find them in the "Recently Played" list, choose a report reason, fill out a statement, then submit.

It takes a ton more effort. I assume it will be monitored as well, considering the statement section. I do believe the days of getting a 1 MONTH ban for playing Villager (my experience) are done.

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
Yeah I heard of it a while back I think I saw a video or two about that problem.

link2702

Smash Champion
I don't report in games unless it's a hacker. The problem was in sm4sh, I'd be reported constantly for having a slightly higher than average win rate and get banned. For pressing button properly. In a game I paid for. Why would you report people for tea bagging? Isn't that when people crouch up and down? Crouch all ya want I just wanna play honestly.
Teabagging is more or less the “universal sign of disrespect” in gaming. Whenever someone does it, more often than not, they’re doing it to be disrespectful to you. Is it stupid that this action has gained this meaning? Yes. But it is what it is, and technically would fall under unsportsmanlike conduct, so it would technically be considered something worth reporting someone for.

If you don’t find it disrespectful when someone does it to you that’s fine, my main point is though, is that it is one of the reasons you could technically report someone for.

So I guess this could also be both a warning and blessing for people, you shouldn’t have to worry anymore about getting reported and sent to banland just for outplaying someone....

.... but, again, since teabagging has become so synonymous with disrespect in gaming, be aware that if you ever do it to someone, they technically could report you for unsportsmanlike behavior and you’ll probably be banned for it eventually.

Roadhog360

Smash Cadet
NNID
Roadhog360
Honestly, I just stick with arenas. I can taunt, change characters while fighting the same person, all that good stuff.

Overall D Diemian while the online isn't exactly stellar, I'd say it still performs much better than Wii U, contrary to what I've heard a lot of people say. When we're on a stable connection no match has ever lagged, unlike with Wii U where even if we use stable connections the game will have annoying input lag. Arenas are a pretty great way to play with friends, too.

Although there are a few flaws. I'm going to shortly summarise my thoughts, and also everything that's been discussed here.

All online modes:
Name tags cannot be seen. (You only show/see your Switch username, regardless of what name tag you use. However, the controls scheme from the tag stays.)
Random Battlefield AND Omega is not an option. You either get one or the other.
Barely a flaw, but there is still no 8-player Smash online. (Maybe this is for the best, since they'd be lagfests anyways)
There's still ONLY Vs. matches. Hey Brawl online features, come back! We want HRC, Multi-Man and other co-oppable Solo modes online again!

Quickplay:
You cannot change your character and rematch the same opponent. You either rematch the opponent or change your character, not both.
As stated before, you cannot taunt.
Elite Smash is based on GSP, and GSP is per-character meaning you have to get each individual character into Elite Smash to be able to use them there.
Sometimes you will be surprised with the rule set you didn't ask for, and matchmaking can take a hot minute at times.

Arenas:
Changing your character or stage sends you to the back of the line.
To change the arena settings, you must remake the arena.

Overall Ultimate is still a great game to play online, even with these flaws. I see upsides and downsides to it. Great features came, and some went. I still think For Fun and For Glory should come back. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to let RNG decide whether or not I get the rules I asked for. I liked it when these rules were rounded up into For Fun and For Glory from the past games. What do you think?

Last edited:

Naboa

Smash Rookie
I've found out that Peach's toad special counter's Jigglypuff's sing. Can someone explain to me how the interaction works? I thought it would activate against damage or knockback, though Jigglypuff's sing shouldn't do any damage or knockback.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Personally, I love that each character is ranked separately. Takes a lot of pressure off when playing a non-main. It would be nice to separate out serious matches from the non-serious ones (timed, items, certain stages, whatever) but matches that deviate from acceptable parameters are so few and far between for me that I really don't care that much.

I didn't invest a ton of time in Smash Wii U's online, but the handful of times I did play it I remember being WAY worse than my experience in this one. Smash 4's online felt like playing vanilla Brawl on a non-CRT TV.

Top Bottom