• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unblockable Jab follow-ups & Frame Data [COMPLETE!]

chic

Smash Ace
jabs are easy... it's actually getting in range to do it which is pretty hard for me. what is the best way you guys set up your jabs? i usually just wait for an opening after a missed smash or i just buffer jabs after a SH aerial

Noraa

Smash Lord
i need a video to see the jab lengths and how they exactly connect with the follow up because im a little confused

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol it's funny boss, because according to the chart (if im reading this correctly), olimar can't block anything jab1 or after, so dabuz couldnt block jab upb, and/or you could have pulled some other crazy mindgame **** after jab1 (jab > tornado) but either way.. he couldnt stand a chance lawls.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Boss i'm going to jab to up b you *******! yeah that's right, it works with diddy kong too!

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
but luigis jab is like frame 2 and warios jump is...? (insert a number probably slower than luigis jab XD) but warios just jump everywhere they feel like aha xD.

doesnt really need a sticky, unless the board says it i guess. dont really see why since it's in the table of contents stickied and i think we have too many stickies already lol

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Wow this is amazing! I'm going to study this so I can get my Luigi into shape for my next tournament. Its definitely going to help me out.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I know this thread was written a while ago but it is just amazing! Very insightful, comprehensive and clear data which was fully explained! Thank you very much. This knowledge will really help my game. Perhaps something to keep on one's Kindle? lol

Fino

Smash Master
Okay, so I'm sitting here with a frame freezing hack and I don't see the advantage of doing a jab cancel shoryuken over just a jab to shoryuken. Either way it comes out on the same frame, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Just jab, tap down, and upB correct? I've tried about every combination of frames of tapping down and upB... the result still ends up coming out on the same frame as a plain jab-shoryuken.
Can I get some help?

~Fino

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doing the Jab crouch cancel into Up-B as I understand actually takes a frame longer to initiate than just mashing Up-B after a Jab. I'm pretty sure it was stated it takes 1 frame to do a Jab crouch cancel.

Jab crouch cancel is mainly good for doing repeated Jab cancels.

Fino

Smash Master
Doing the Jab crouch cancel into Up-B as I understand actually takes a frame longer to initiate than just mashing Up-B after a Jab. I'm pretty sure it was stated it takes 1 frame to do a Jab crouch cancel.

Jab crouch cancel is mainly good for doing repeated Jab cancels.
Oh cool, well that resolves an argument I had with crash earlier thanks. Olimar can 100% whistle the jab shoryuken... very interesting

~Fino

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I am 100% sure that there is no way for olimar to get out of jab -> upB. If Luigi isn't spaced right you might not sweetspot it, but its going to connect no matter what olimar does. I don't know what the frame data says, this is just from experience.

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
After all this time, I'm still not sure if I'm doing jab followups right. I've always simply jab1 -> well timed Dsmash or Grab... are you supposed to crouch somewhere in between?

A2zomg said that crouching made upb come out 1 frame slower... is this true for A moves and grabs too?

The way I see it right now, crouch cancelling is only good for jab1 -> jab1 combos

edit: wrong account --- delvro

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The Jab crouch cancel takes a frame to do, but you only need to do it for repeated Jab cancels due to the way the Jab's IASA frames work.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Idk...but I have reason to doubt this information. Occasionally I try Jab12 -> Up B and it works on characters like... Snake. While my Jab1 -> Up B gets Powersheilded consistently and I know I'm buffering UpB correctly.

Magus420

Smash Master
Jab 1 -> Up-B should be getting PSed by Snake consistently because it doesn't work on him. It's +5. Jab 1+2 is also +5 on him, so the up-b is blockable there as well, plus it's more likely that they may airdodge attempting to shield if you do both jabs so other faster stuff like d-smash wouldn't work either if they do. It's also much easier to jump out since jab 2 has less stun and they go higher off the ground.

If I'm bored one day maybe I'll check the rest of the characters with both jabs. It's better than I expected.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Jab 1 -> Up-B should be getting PSed by Snake consistently because it doesn't work on him. It's +5. Jab 1+2 is also +5 on him, so the up-b is blockable there as well, plus it's more likely that they may airdodge attempting to shield if you do both jabs so other faster stuff like d-smash wouldn't work either if they do. It's also much easier to jump out since jab 2 has less stun and they go higher off the ground.

If I'm bored one day maybe I'll check the rest of the characters with both jabs. It's better than I expected.
Magus you have AIM? I want to discuss some Luigi stuff with you.

Magus420

Smash Master
It's OoMagus420oO but I rarely go on. The last time I played Brawl was November I think. I could probably count the number of times playing the game total since its release on my fingers and toes, so there's probably not much input I could give anyway, lol.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
i hav a jab setup but its mind games mostly i jab>jab>fsmash upwards it works for me but i know when to use some others tried and failed badly but boss pulled it off first try you guys should look into it.

Top Bottom