• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Under Construction (FAQ + Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Well, for Pikachu, the DI should be in either the top right of top left position of the joystick. Considering which side of Pikachu you are on of course.

Oh, woops. Let me fix that.

I think the same thing goes with the ROB Dsmash. I think just a little more up than left or right.

Azrealdnt

Smash Cadet
Well, I've heard you use a different direction on cstick and control stick, is this true?

Example: For Rob, up on control stick, away from him on cstick

Honestly, just spamming up on both seems to work most of the time against Rob, but for Pikachu it's around 50% with both away from him; I want something more consistent.

Is holding the direction the most effective? Or repeating it after returning the stick to the center?

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
To tell you the truth, I've never used the C-Stick for DI'ing.

But, if it works then I would put one stick in the top left or top right corner and the other to the left or right.

If that doesn't work, then I would DI with the joystick more to the left or right than up or down. I'm sure you still need a little DI in the upward direction while holding down left or right.

Also, I would get ready to jump and airdodge out of the way of the Dsmash. I think DI'ing will get you out mostly. But, if you jump into an airdodge, it will make it so you won't get hurt by the rest of it.

Azrealdnt

Smash Cadet
I used the cstick to escape moves like Fox's uair in melee, and I'm assuming it's similar in Brawl; I'm not sure though. I just spammed them both and hoped for the best, and it worked some of the time.

So have you escape Pikachu's and Rob's dsmash consistently with just the control stick?

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
ROB's...No.

Pikachu's...only at a higher percent.

I can't do it constantly. I guess it depends on the initial self placement. With someone heavy like Snake, its pretty hard to move out of the way of those two moves.

Azrealdnt

Smash Cadet
I guess I'll practice every direction on both cstick at different % and proximity to Rob and Pikachu. It seems like a real hassle, but a general rule of thumb would help a lot in those 2 match ups, since I see those moves more than I care to.

I'll try at max range, slightly closer, right next to, and from the top for both moves, and see if the DI is any different (at different % too... zzzz). What seems like the most logical combinations of DI, so I can save lots of time?

FooXero

Smash Cadet
What is the best way to approach a Zelda that plans on staying back and Up Smashing or using Forward Air?

I can't win if I pull out a grenade against my opponent since he'll just dins and explode it and if I pull it out I can't seem to mortar slide away in time.
Just to add something here:

My friend spams with Din's fire all the time. I find that one of the most effective techniques at approaching slow projectile/no projectile opponents is this:

Pull out a grenade and don't just shield drop it but also roll away from your opponent. Then mortal slide towards your opponent. You should pick up the grenade in the process through his dash attack. At the end of your slide, assuming you didn't charge the up-smash at the end, you have two choices. You can either throw it, (if you smash-throw immediately after sliding it it should explode approximately 3/4 of the distance of FD away) or you can wait for them to start attacking and either spot dodge after a second or shield. If you spot dodge or shield you are basically creating an invincible attack and are invulnerable to damage while you are surrounded by the area attack of the grenade. Hope this helps. (P.S. this also works on Fox lasers as well as any other projectiles which don't stop you. This works on Din's fire cause you can go through it, as well as the lasers, and this also works on Snake grenades as well as spammed side-b pikmin.)

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
With regard to DI against Pikachu and ROB I have found that smash DI is helpful if done correctly. Above all, remember that DI can be treated like a force vector, so DIing in the opposite directions with the C-stick and the control stick will accomplish very little (it will never result in multi-directional DI like some people think). Therefore it is important to note that you should be consistent in your DI direction.

Against Pikachu your DI should be more sideways than up. At low percentages the down smash will often be followed by a thunder when you are popped up into the air, resulting in an early kill. To avoid this you should DI away from Pikachu's center of mass; since the down smash makes you rotate around Pika, you should DI each hit of this move in the opposite direction that you DI'ed the hit before. I have found that repeatedly DIing each hit of the move as it hits you is the most effective method for getting out of the move early (very rare) or at least not being set up for thunder juggling. Thus, if you start getting sucked in on the left, DI the first hit to the left (both the control stick and the C-stick) and then immediately DI the second hit to the right (since you will be on Pikachu's right side).

With regard to ROB's down smash, your DI should be diagonally away from ROB and up. Mash shield so that you can air dodge as soon as you get out of the move. This move is easier to get out of than Pikachu's and also is less of a setup move than Pikachu's down smash. At higher percentages you should DI more horizontally away from ROB to avoid the star KO

FooXero

Smash Cadet
Jab. F-tilt. C4's. Proxy Mines. So many possibilities. If I remember correctly, jab/f-tilt and the dash attack cancel each other out. However make sure you are mashing the a-button asap cause there is no lag for either player. A correctly timed C4 will blow snake up as well, and come on... Can you tell me you've never accidentally lain a mine then blown yourself up while mortar sliding? Proxy mines are the doom of all mortar sliders. Just shield and f-tilt till you get enough room, then lay one in the middle of the stage. Hella annoying to slide against.

Another option is to do a shield drop. Just shield and turtle as he slides back and forth as the grenade explodes on him. Or you can try to space yourself out so that you can f-tilt or d-tilt him as his mortar is coming up and then move out of the way of the incoming projectile.

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
Why is Snake so sexy?

I actually have a question of my own. I have heard about this port priority but I'm not entirely sure what it is or how it works.

Danteh

Smash Cadet
You sure are a perfectionist worker T*H*O*R . I remember I also enjoyed doing all kinds of faqs for the games that I loved xD. Very useful thread yeah.

I have a question to, it's a miscellanous one, as I don't have the game yet (Europe, lol):

Are mines and C4 (in another words, mindgames) what makes you win with Snake or perhaphs are the Tilts and Mortar Slides (in another words, raw power) which do it? Meaning Snake's game is more about out-thinking your oponent ot being more skillful? :lick:

Azrealdnt

Smash Cadet
With regard to DI against Pikachu and ROB I have found that smash DI is helpful if done correctly. Above all, remember that DI can be treated like a force vector, so DIing in the opposite directions with the C-stick and the control stick will accomplish very little (it will never result in multi-directional DI like some people think). Therefore it is important to note that you should be consistent in your DI direction.

Against Pikachu your DI should be more sideways than up. At low percentages the down smash will often be followed by a thunder when you are popped up into the air, resulting in an early kill. To avoid this you should DI away from Pikachu's center of mass; since the down smash makes you rotate around Pika, you should DI each hit of this move in the opposite direction that you DI'ed the hit before. I have found that repeatedly DIing each hit of the move as it hits you is the most effective method for getting out of the move early (very rare) or at least not being set up for thunder juggling. Thus, if you start getting sucked in on the left, DI the first hit to the left (both the control stick and the C-stick) and then immediately DI the second hit to the right (since you will be on Pikachu's right side).

With regard to ROB's down smash, your DI should be diagonally away from ROB and up. Mash shield so that you can air dodge as soon as you get out of the move. This move is easier to get out of than Pikachu's and also is less of a setup move than Pikachu's down smash. At higher percentages you should DI more horizontally away from ROB to avoid the star KO
Alright, after some testing this information is completely false. I can get out of either attack about 90% by pressing up on both the control and cstick.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Alright, after some testing this information is completely false. I can get out of either attack about 90% by pressing up on both the control and cstick.
Would it be safe to DI up on pika's dsmash? Does it place you directly in the way of thunder?

Azrealdnt

Smash Cadet
The idea is to get out before the knock-back. If you fail you still have plenty of time to DI left or right.

FooXero

Smash Cadet
Meta's game in general is largely nullified by grenades. Do whatever you want with them. Toss them. Cook toss them. Shield drop them. Shield drop to pickup them. Heck even just hold it. You or you+him will take damage since most of his hits are multi-hitting attacks, and since he's lighter than you, assuming you take the same damage, when you both blow up he'll be on top which is a perfect setup for a uair (which is hella powerful btw.). Once he gets scared of spamming his fair or neutral b attack, then move in and use your tilts. The best attack in the game is neutralized by Snake. More manliness evidence? I think so.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'm being very serious when I ask these questions, so the more in-depth a response you can muster the more I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

1. Does Snake have the upper hand against Metaknight? If so, why? If not, why?

2. Currently my counter for Snake is Olimar. Will that suffice? Why or why not?

3. Should I pick up another counter for Snake as well as keeping Olimar? Should I just drop Olimar and pick up another counter entirely?

4. Who counters Snake well? Why and which one should I pick up for high levels of competitive play?

I realize a lot of these are similar but I need the most accurate answers possible. I'm trying to figure out which characters I need to master to best improve my chances of winning thousands of dollars at the competitive level.

Thanks again.

EDIT: This is less Snake specific and more general technical skills, but I figured I might as well ask.

To be general, what is the deal with DI in this game?

What I know:
-DIing with the control stick perpendicular to initial trajectory will give you the best results.
-You can tap the control stick repeatedly to DI out of multiple hit attacks

What's the deal with "Smash DI" and C-Stick Tap DI and dual stick DI and whatever the hell else in this game? I'm very confused.

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
Ok it has been a while since I've been on because I just graduated and I've been out most nights this week. Thus I will try to address the various questions and problems which have been presented in order of chronology.

1st I want to address the question regarding where Snake's competative strength comes from, his raw power or his mind games. In this regard, I would have to say that his power and speed are more important than his mind games. No doubt, Snake certainly has more potential for tricks and baiting his opponents than most other characaters, however, I have seen many people with terrible mind games pick up Snake and spam the hell out of his tilts and win games against more mind game savvy opponents. What makes his mind games so potent is that every time Snake tricks you it means and additional 20% minimum, a margin for error which no other character can hope to match in one fell swoop.

2nd, I want to address the issue of DI with regard to Pikachu and ROB. The methods that I posted are the ones which I used in battle prior to my wii breaking. I am glad to hear that Azrealdnt has found a better method for DI'ing Pikachu's down smash. To be honest, I'd never bother directly DI'ing upwards for fear of a thunder star KO, but to hear him tell it, this is a non-issue. I will replace my answer to that question with a "pending" sign until I can more thoroughly test this method out; I'd hate to give out inaccurate information on the same question twice.

3rd, regarding Metaknight's air game and how to stop its clear dominance of Snake's aerial game, I have found that grenade countering, mortars, and up tilts tend to deter even the most stubborn Metaknights from spamming their aerials. When you are in the air you need to be particularly wary of Metaknight's up B, which will kill Snake out of the cypher quite frequently. In this situation, you want to recover high up and as fast as possible so as to avoid being juggled with the fair/uair or killed by the up B. Drop C4 below you to prevent him from chasing you when you are in the air and dodge his aerials while you fast fall back to the ground.

4th, how do you kill Metaknight? This should actually not be a problem for you since Metaknight is really light weight and your up tilt kills vertically at obscenely low percentages. All of your tilts should do the job on Metaknight at reasonable percentages but the up tilt (fresh) will kill him below 100%. C4, the nair, bair, and short hopped dair out of the shield are all good options to kill Metaknight as well. You can even kill him out of a glide or his up B with a mortar or you uair (if you are feeling lucky). Snake has no shortage of moves with which he can easily kill Metaknight.

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
Ok I now want to address the questions that Kashakunaki had.
I'm being very serious when I ask these questions, so the more in-depth a response you can muster the more I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

1. Does Snake have the upper hand against Metaknight? If so, why? If not, why?

2. Currently my counter for Snake is Olimar. Will that suffice? Why or why not?

3. Should I pick up another counter for Snake as well as keeping Olimar? Should I just drop Olimar and pick up another counter entirely?

4. Who counters Snake well? Why and which one should I pick up for high levels of competitive play?
and
EDIT:
To be general, what is the deal with DI in this game?

What I know:
-DIing with the control stick perpendicular to initial trajectory will give you the best results.
-You can tap the control stick repeatedly to DI out of multiple hit attacks

What's the deal with "Smash DI" and C-Stick Tap DI and dual stick DI and whatever the hell else in this game? I'm very confused.

First the Snake related questions:

1. Snake does indeed have the edge over Metaknight for a couple of reasons. The most important of these is that Metaknight has no projectiles which makes him very vulnerable, not only to Snake's superb camping game, but also to his grenade countering (since Metaknight attacks with all physical attacks which detonate the grenades in his face). A cautious and defensive Snake can defeat Metaknight by forcing him to approach and then punishing his advances with grenade countering, the forward tilts, and his awesome vertical KO power in the form of the up tilt. If the Snake user keeps some space between Metaknight and himself, all the while pressuring him with mortars, grenades, tilts, and grabs, he should be able to outmatch the close ranged Metaknight and win. The difficulty with this matchup (in case you were wondering why this sounded so much easier than it really is) is Snake's heavy weight and consequent propensity to being easily juggled. Snake's weak air game is highlighted by the strength of Metaknight's air game as well as his comfort in the air (he has five jumps, a glide, and every B move can be used for recovery). Snake's gimpable recovery, combined with his fast falling and low aerial priority make him a sitting duck in the air and makes any more aerially adept character water at the mouth when he is airborne. However, if you manage to stay grounded and maintain proper spacing, this match should end up in your favor
  2. In my opinion, a well played Olimar will counter all but the best/most seasoned Snake players. Olimar's strong air game, good projectiles, disjointed hitboxes, strong ground game, and walking meat shield (the Pikmin often nullify Snake's projectiles) all lend towards him being a good counter to Snake's gameplay. Olimar can combo Snake out of his ridiculous grabs and set him up for intense juggling sessions. His powerful smashes can kill Snake early and his aerials can gimp the hell out of Snake's cypher recovery. However, Olimar is not without his own glaring weaknesses: his light weight, and easily gimpable recovery make him difficult to play against a Snake who keeps the pressure on and the tilt spamming at a steady rate.
  3. This is more of a personal question based on your success with Olimar against Snake in general. I personally have the hardest time against a good Pikachu or a good ROB. I can't tell you whether or not to drop Olimar as your Snake counter, but those two characters give me even more trouble than the pint sized spaceman with the walking shrub friends.
  4. As I said above, Snake is countered very well ROB. His absurdly strong aerials, spammable projectiles, large hitboxes, heavy weight, ridiculous recovery,and good ground game all combat Snake very well. I have also heard that Donkey Kong is a very good Snake counter but I have not played one so I really can't say. In terms of general gameplay, characters with good ground games (so that they can hang with Snake and his godly ground game) and better air games should do well against Snake. His propensity to being juggled and his lack of aerial priority make any character who can capitalize on these weaknesses a serious threat. In addition, the ability to outcamp Snake takes away one of his key means of pressuring his opponents and the ability to handicap his mortar slide (the fastest way for Snake to move around) with projectiles will seriously slow down his game and place the rhythm of game in Snake's opponent's hands. ROB and DK both have powerful aerials and smashes with which to kill/juggle Snake, and can gimp the hell out of his recovery with relative ease.
And now the general question:

The best DI is done in the direction perpendicular to your character's flight; ergo, if you are flying to the right at a 45 degree angle from the the horizontal, your DI would be 45 degrees above the horizontal to the left. For another example, if you are flying directly to the right (level with the ground or 0 degrees above the horizontal) you would DI directly up. C-Stick/Smash DI is DI using the C-Stick and it functions in the same way as DI with the control stick. Dual stick DI is DI with both the C-stick and the control stick at the same time; this can be done in different directions but the best result are achieved when both are pressed in the same direction. The best way to DI an attack is to DI perpendicular to the expected flightpath at the same instant at which you are hit with both the C-stick and the control stick.

I hope this helped.

EDIT: My addition is in yellow

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
About your second question...

I seem to be doing so much better against Olimar because I have been getting used to edgehugging. I'm getting so used to Olimar's attacks that I know when to do it without punishment.

If you get used to playing an Olimar, I'm sure that Snake will have an easier time beating Olimar. Even though the Olimar is getting experience too. Its easier to get used to Olimar than it is to Snake.

Olimar's combos don't really effect the last part of the stock. But, what Snake can do to Olimar at the end of the stock is fatal. The reason I think its fatal is because if Olimar gets hit with anything with a percentage around eighty, he will most likely get hit off the edge. So many factors can keep Olimar off the edge.

1. An accumulation of explosives (Mine, C4, Grenades, and Mortar all at once.) <--Doesn't take much actually to stop Olimar.
2. A fair that can kill Olimar when he's trying to recover. (If used right.)
3. Edgehugging

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
Thor, I just have to say you are one of the greatest contributors to the Snake forum.
Hey thanks man, I'm glad that you like the stuff I post. Thanks for taking the time to check my answers, it's good for me too because I play a really good pika and his down smash is a ***** to get out of.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman

The best DI is done in the direction perpendicular to your character's flight. C-Stick/Smash DI is DI using the C-Stick and it functions in the same way as DI with the control stick. Dual stick DI is DI with both the C-stick and the control stick at the same time; this can be done in different directions but the best result are achieved when both are pressed in the same direction. The best way to DI an attack is to DI perpendicular to the expected flightpath at the same instant at which you are hit with both the C-stick and the control stick.

I hope this helped.
Does it work better if you press directly left or right? Or, should the DI be in a more diagonal position. (Top right/Top left)

I never face Pikachu...I wouldn't know. :embarrass

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
I'm slightly confused about your question. Do you mean in general or when being sucked into Pikachu's down smash. In general, your DI is always perpendicular to you motion; ergo, if you are flying to the right at a 45 degree angle from the the horizontal, your DI would be 45 degrees above the horizontal to the left. For another example, if you are flying directly to the right (level with the ground or 0 degrees above the horizontal) you would DI directly up.

To DI out of a multi hit attack (eg Pikachu's down smash) I have been told that you should DI directly up in order to escape.

Did that answer your question? If not just clarify for me and I would be glad to answer you.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you covered it. Thanks, man. :)

Actually, lemme ask one more thing...

Let's say you got hit diagonally up to the right. I thought DI'ing down and left was the most efficient way of DI'ing in that situation. Could you or someone else correct me? I never knew what was the best way of doing it. I've been doing the same thing since the n64 version of Smash.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Yeah, you covered it. Thanks, man. :)

Actually, lemme ask one more thing...

Let's say you got hit diagonally up to the right. I thought DI'ing down and left was the most efficient way of DI'ing in that situation. Could you or someone else correct me? I never knew what was the best way of doing it. I've been doing the same thing since the n64 version of Smash.
Well, DI directly opposite of the direction you're headed in (as you said in your example) is not going to have as much of a significant effect in terms of movement. DI in a perpendicular direction, in your case, northwest or southeast, and towards the corner of the stage, is much more effective because your character can actually move in that direction quicker than it can recover from being knocked away and moving in the opposite direction.

Why perpendicular? I sorta explained it in another post:

Perhaps it is because getting sent left or right has a greater window for the player (not necessarily Snake) to DI. The goal of DI is usually to influence your character in a direction perpendicular to the direction you are sent. That's why most people who DI correctly survive when flying towards the "corners" of a stage, so-to-speak, because that is the greatest distance from the center.

So maybe since utilt sends Snake closer to a 90 degree angle, it will take a longer time for the character to move to the "corner area" when attempting to DI down+towards stage.

However, an attack to the sides, say fsmash, doesn't send Snake as close to a 180 degree angle, in fact, it often sends Snake at an angle close to the direction towards a "corner". Thus the DI (in this case it would be up+towards stage)is more effective since you reach the corner quicker.

Just my theory and I'm not sure if I worded it well enough to make sense.

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
Ok I'm pretty sure that I understand what rusty is saying and I can explain it in case it was unclear (I thought it was quite clear but since he suggested it might not be, why leave it to chance?)

If you picture the map (including the areas outside of your view near the edge of the stage) as a rectangle, your goal is to travel the furthest distance from where you were hit without going off the edge of the stage and dying. Since the furthest point from almost anywhere on the stage is usually the corner, DI should be used to slow your momentum while directing your general motion towards the corner of the stage. Thus, your DI will both slow you down and make your flight as long as possible, allowing you to live longer. It just so happens that simple geometry and vector addition with forces shows that the most efficient means of doing this is to apply a constant force perpendicular to your velocity vector.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Ok I'm pretty sure that I understand what rusty is saying and I can explain it in case it was unclear (I thought it was quite clear but since he suggested it might not be, why leave it to chance?)

If you picture the map (including the areas outside of your view near the edge of the stage) as a rectangle, your goal is to travel the furthest distance from where you were hit without going off the edge of the stage and dying. Since the furthest point from almost anywhere on the stage is usually the corner, DI should be used to slow your momentum while directing your general motion towards the corner of the stage. Thus, your DI will both slow you down and make your flight as long as possible, allowing you to live longer. It just so happens that simple geometry and vector addition with forces shows that the most efficient means of doing this is to apply a constant force perpendicular to your velocity vector.
Yup quite clear. Heck it's clearer to me than my post lol. Thanks for that T*H*O*R.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Ok I now want to address the questions that Kashakunaki had.

and

First the Snake related questions:

1. Snake does indeed have the edge over Metaknight for a couple of reasons. The most important of these is that Metaknight has no projectiles which makes him very vulnerable, not only to Snake's superb camping game, but also to his grenade countering (since Metaknight attacks with all physical attacks which detonate the grenades in his face). A cautious and defensive Snake can defeat Metaknight by forcing him to approach and then punishing his advances with grenade countering, the forward tilts, and his awesome vertical KO power in the form of the up tilt. If the Snake user keeps some space between Metaknight and himself, all the while pressuring him with mortars, grenades, tilts, and grabs, he should be able to outmatch the close ranged Metaknight and win. The difficulty with this matchup (in case you were wondering why this sounded so much easier than it really is) is Snake's heavy weight and consequent propensity to being easily juggled. Snake's weak air game is highlighted by the strength of Metaknight's air game as well as his comfort in the air (he has five jumps, a glide, and every B move can be used for recovery). Snake's gimpable recovery, combined with his fast falling and low aerial priority make him a sitting duck in the air and makes any more aerially adept character water at the mouth when he is airborne. However, if you manage to stay grounded and maintain proper spacing, this match should end up in your favor
  2. In my opinion, a well played Olimar will counter all but the best/most seasoned Snake players. Olimar's strong air game, good projectiles, disjointed hitboxes, strong ground game, and walking meat shield (the Pikmin often nullify Snake's projectiles) all lend towards him being a good counter to Snake's gameplay. Olimar can combo Snake out of his ridiculous grabs and set him up for intense juggling sessions. His powerful smashes can kill Snake early and his aerials can gimp the hell out of Snake's cypher recovery. However, Olimar is not without his own glaring weaknesses: his light weight, and easily gimpable recovery make him difficult to play against a Snake who keeps the pressure on and the tilt spamming at a steady rate.
  3. This is more of a personal question based on your success with Olimar against Snake in general. I personally have the hardest time against a good Pikachu or a good ROB. I can't tell you whether or not to drop Olimar as your Snake counter, but those two characters give me even more trouble than the pint sized spaceman with the walking shrub friends.
  4. As I said above, Snake is countered very well ROB. His absurdly strong aerials, spammable projectiles, large hitboxes, heavy weight, ridiculous recovery,and good ground game all combat Snake very well. I have also heard that Donkey Kong is a very good Snake counter but I have not played one so I really can't say. In terms of general gameplay, characters with good ground games (so that they can hang with Snake and his godly ground game) and better air games should do well against Snake. His propensity to being juggled and his lack of aerial priority make any character who can capitalize on these weaknesses a serious threat. In addition, the ability to outcamp Snake takes away one of his key means of pressuring his opponents and the ability to handicap his mortar slide (the fastest way for Snake to move around) with projectiles will seriously slow down his game and place the rhythm of game in Snake's opponent's hands. ROB and DK both have powerful aerials and smashes with which to kill/juggle Snake, and can gimp the hell out of his recovery with relative ease.

The best DI is done in the direction perpendicular to your character's flight; ergo, if you are flying to the right at a 45 degree angle from the the horizontal, your DI would be 45 degrees above the horizontal to the left. For another example, if you are flying directly to the right (level with the ground or 0 degrees above the horizontal) you would DI directly up. C-Stick/Smash DI is DI using the C-Stick and it functions in the same way as DI with the control stick. Dual stick DI is DI with both the C-stick and the control stick at the same time; this can be done in different directions but the best result are achieved when both are pressed in the same direction. The best way to DI an attack is to DI perpendicular to the expected flightpath at the same instant at which you are hit with both the C-stick and the control stick.

I hope this helped.

EDIT: My addition is in yellow
Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I've always had a decent grasp on DI, but its exact mechanics have always escaped me. From now on I'll DI perpendicular with both the control stick and C-Stick at moment of contact and tap DI multi hit attacks.

About your second question...

I seem to be doing so much better against Olimar because I have been getting used to edgehugging. I'm getting so used to Olimar's attacks that I know when to do it without punishment.

If you get used to playing an Olimar, I'm sure that Snake will have an easier time beating Olimar. Even though the Olimar is getting experience too. Its easier to get used to Olimar than it is to Snake.

Olimar's combos don't really effect the last part of the stock. But, what Snake can do to Olimar at the end of the stock is fatal. The reason I think its fatal is because if Olimar gets hit with anything with a percentage around eighty, he will most likely get hit off the edge. So many factors can keep Olimar off the edge.

1. An accumulation of explosives (Mine, C4, Grenades, and Mortar all at once.) <--Doesn't take much actually to stop Olimar.
2. A fair that can kill Olimar when he's trying to recover. (If used right.)
3. Edgehugging
You're thinking about the game in entirely the wrong way. It's not the last hit that matters.

If you are asking yourself, "Man, how did I let that finishing blow get me? What could I have done differently," you're asking yourself the wrong question.

It is the percent that got you to that point that matters.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I've always had a decent grasp on DI, but its exact mechanics have always escaped me. From now on I'll DI perpendicular with both the control stick and C-Stick at moment of contact and tap DI multi hit attacks.

You're thinking about the game in entirely the wrong way. It's not the last hit that matters.

If you are asking yourself, "Man, how did I let that finishing blow get me? What could I have done differently," you're asking yourself the wrong question.

It is the percent that got you to that point that matters.
What I'm saying is that Snake has more of an advantage at the end. You know what?...It doesn't have to be at the end. It could be at anytime. The same factors that I listed could kill Olimar at any percentage. Its just so easy to get Olimar off the edge in my opinion. Maybe I'm saying that because I haven't faced someone that could stop the stuff I throw at them.

I know thats not the only factor. I understand that damage is needed beforehand. But, Snake just has better killing oppertunities. Mainly because of Olimar's recovery.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I have another ?...lately I've been trying to play some mind games and confuse my opponents by changing up my play style. On a first stock I usually do nothing but use the a button mostly and beat them phsyically. On the second I will start to get happy with my b button and use projectiles to rack up damage to finish. Then I usually mix them up on the last 3rd stock assuming. I dont always go in order like that but I try to change around to try and confuse. Is it smart to use tactics like this? Or should I just always try and keep a balance on snakes moves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom