• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated Edgeguards (or so it seems)

The L Man

Smash Cadet
This is my second post relating to edge guarding because everywhere I look I hear people bashing Luigi's ability to successfully hold his own on the ledge after sending people. I even see some of the pros in their vids looking hesitant to go near the ledge to guard it. Now I know Luigi isn't quite as sick as his bro is at edge guarding, but I think he still has some pretty cool tricks that can really throw off his enemy.

Here are two edge guard techniques that have proven very reliable to me:

When your opponent is hanging from the ledge and is about to either crawl back on, jump up, or use his attack, all you need to do is short hop and fast fall into a Dair as soon as their animation starts. I have actually hit people 2 or 3 times in a row with this and have even killed them at rather low percentages. The reason I believe it is so effective is because Luigi's dair has a rather deceiving hit box and much of the time it sends people in an awkward horizontal movement away from the stage making it impossible for them to reach in again. Just be aware that you must be standing pretty close to the edge for it to work properly.

The next useful edge guard technique I use a lot is the same thing as the above, but rather than a Dair, you just short up and fast fall into a Nair (or "still kick" as I call it). This way, the opponent is sent upwards where you can jump into a bair and if that doesn't kill them, then repeat the process.

I've also been hearin that Luigi sucks at returning to the stage from a ledge grab. While yeah, I'll admit he's not that great but here's one of my strategies:

If you're hanging on the ledge and your opponent is standing right above you, down tilting or whatever, hit the jump button and as soon as your animation starts, just hit A and he'll go directly into a Nair and interrupt anything your opponent is doing. I can't tell you how many close matches I've won by simply jumping from the ledge into a Nair. The attack has ridiculous priority and awesome knockback.

I'm sure these strategies are already well known by the good Luigi players, but I'm just hoping to refresh everyone's memory on some really great attacks that have saved me repeatedly.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Oh, Luigi is AMAZING off-stage. I always jump out there no matter how risky it is (except against meta-knight)... after a while you learn how to make the most of it without killing yourself.

A great position for luigi is hanging on the ledge, but most of us already know that.

crewster

Smash Lord
Nice, and useful. I'm not sure but I think that this is already used.

Also, the nair isn't called th still kick, it's called the sex kick.

The L Man

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the replies guys; always a pleasure to know the Luigi community is getting stronger. I wish I knew how to upload replays to the internet, cause I would demonstrate all of this.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Well its a tricky process because of all the formating, you could give us a low quality film of the match on your tv just to see, But other than that you need to buy some capture cards and/or other materials, someone might let you send it to them if they have the appropriate materials.

crewster

Smash Lord
Do you have this (and the othe eadgaurd thing) saved as a replay?

crewster

Smash Lord
You can't put videos on SWF, need to use YT.

I mena, do you have it saved on your wii as a replay?

kigbariom

Smash Lord
He means on the Wii, just press Z after the match if it is less than 3 minutes. It should save the replay, then you use the capture cards and whatnot.

The L Man

Smash Cadet
He means on the Wii, just press Z after the match if it is less than 3 minutes. It should save the replay, then you use the capture cards and whatnot.

Oh, I thought he meant my actual posts if they were saved... I was like, "What?"

My Wii and Brawl are brand new since my old room mate left and took his Wii. I really don't have too much saved onto it, but I'll be happy to recreate all of this stuff and find a way to youtube it.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
If you're hanging on the ledge and your opponent is standing right above you, down tilting or whatever, hit the jump button and as soon as your animation starts, just hit A and he'll go directly into a Nair and interrupt anything your opponent is doing. I can't tell you how many close matches I've won by simply jumping from the ledge into a Nair. The attack has ridiculous priority and awesome knockback.
Now I like this part alot. Mostly because it doesn't waste your second jump in case you get hit out of it. I'm going to start using this.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I don't hear luigi being underrated in edgeguarding; ONLY in comparison to his bro Mario which everyone always assumes. The difference between Mario and Luigi's edgeguarding is that Mario's is alot safer, has abit more situtiontal and viable edgeguard options and make the core of his game, but its not bad for luigi honestly. Only people who can plank effectively like Mk can wreck luigi in half.

Luigi can edgeguard, lay out traps effectively but gets wrecked by others who have bigger range like Marth basically vice versa.

The stuff you said is obviously known but its alright refresher; The only thing is just knowing your spacing, reading your oppenent, and picking the right move for the right situation. People like Marth are garbage on the edge and luigi takes care of that.

The retreating Dair if they do a getup attack, sometimes if they attempt a ledgedrop attack and sometimes a ledge jump.

Luigi's Bair IMO is his best gimp/edgeguard option, since you can fullhop to zone them if they try to ledge jump, also ledgedrop depending on spacing and such and get up attack. So IMO Bair handles most situations unless they out think you or plank you like a beast.

Nair is nice if you can get the frame 3 hitbox. Chic ALWAYS gets me with this if i get careless and rushing the get up attack (from edge). the backflip and timing the frame 3 Nair since it autocancels, is sexy. Works well with crappy get up attacks and sometimes ledgejumps/ledgedrops. Luigi's Nair front foot is really deceiving range and lasting hitbox.

The best option Luigi has if they have sucessfully get out of your range, and are about to land on stage is PIVOT GRABBING <3. If they ledgejump/drop, pivot grabbing will easily take care of this unless they have stall moves like fox's shine. Getup and crawling is taken care by pivot grabbing.

Pivotgrab/bair is the sexiest edge options for luigi's edge game IMO.
So just remember out thinking your oppenent and reading him ahead of time is best asset in ANY fighting game. Just sayin

Oh and luigi does suck when hes holding on the edge. Said it before too. The ledge jump frame 3 Nair works ONLY if they are next to the edge not spaced. In my experience, pro players will always space themselves from the edge, to trap all your options which luigis sucks at.

The L Man

Smash Cadet
Hippiedude, nice stuff. I can just sense the experience you have just by reading your reply. Thanks man. I'm gonna have to find a good example of that pivot grab edge guard!

crewster

Smash Lord
Oh, I thought he meant my actual posts if they were saved... I was like, "What?"

My Wii and Brawl are brand new since my old room mate left and took his Wii. I really don't have too much saved onto it, but I'll be happy to recreate all of this stuff and find a way to youtube it.
Step 1) Save it
Step 2) Send it to LK
Step 3) he will (if you ask him nicly) upload it onto YT.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Random Suggestion:

Against people who DI really well up into the corner, read the air dodge, then do a rising Tornado to take them up to the blastzone for a gimp.

I haven't seen it done before, and I haven't yet successfully pulled it off in a match, but it looks like it could really take someone by surprise, maybe it would be particularly useful on lightweights on battlefield (who may happen to be standing on the top platform)?

The L Man

Smash Cadet
Random Suggestion:

Against people who DI really well up into the corner, read the air dodge, then do a rising Tornado to take them up to the blastzone for a gimp.

I haven't seen it done before, and I haven't yet successfully pulled it off in a match, but it looks like it could really take someone by surprise, maybe it would be particularly useful on lightweights on battlefield (who may happen to be standing on the top platform)?

Ha. I've actually killed a few people (mainly computers) by following them up with a rising tornado right after I launch them. Usually the Nair is all you need because of its high priority and vertical knockback.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord

Email the .bin file to roffl.my.waffle@gmail.com and I'll upload it for you. I've found having people email is much easier than using the fricking ******** wii online and all the friendcode BS. So yeah, that option is there.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
That's a much better solution since my invite to be my friend never went through....
<_<
>_>
But I have nothing to send anymore...

Top Bottom