• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Understanding the psychology of Meta Knight

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Beyond the moves, beyond the mind games - What sort of mindset does it take to main the sole inhabitant of the SS tier?

So far I've heard that MK is aggressive, to the point of not giving his opponent the chance to breath. He's aggressive to the point that he strikes fear in the opponent and doesn't let up or give the opponent a chance to think, to get their composure, or to make a plan.

What else is the elite SS tier? What sort of mindset does it take to bring out his potential?

Excellence

Smash Champion
Beyond the moves, beyond the mind games - What sort of mindset does it take to main the sole inhabitant of the SS tier?

So far I've heard that MK is aggressive, to the point of not giving his opponent the chance to breath. He's aggressive to the point that he strikes fear in the opponent and doesn't let up or give the opponent a chance to think, to get their composure, or to make a plan.

What else is the elite SS tier? What sort of mindset does it take to bring out his potential?
Meta Knight players typically have the mindset that if they win they're better than their opponent (usually not true, but some are), they're tired of facing other high tier characters, or they want to win. This generally motivates Meta Knight players to learn and become the best they believe they can. When they consistantly lose to an opponent, they practice even more because their isn't anyone better than Meta Knight in the game.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Or some people just love Meta Knight, because he's that awesome.
It's not all about winning or the tier list...

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Getting back on topic -_-

I'm not asking why you picked Meta Knight, I'm asking what sort of mindset you have when you play him

eg - ROB is campy, so the player has a more reactionary mindset, waiting unti the opponent comes to him, not wanting to make the first move; whereas Meta Knight needs to approach, needs to pressure his opponent, etc

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
Well... My playstyle varies a lot depending on the characters I play against... I don't have one and only midnset.
Sometimes, you have to be campy as hell, and some others, you have to attack without letting your opponent breathe...

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I saw Mew2King reacts quickly to everything the opponent does. Keep pressuring them so they'll make mistakes in a situation. Patience is needed here. Using random moves on the opponents shield isn't going to work. If you watch MK ditto's you can see Dojo, Spammer, Mew2King all wait and space very well, I think this is vital if you want to play a good MK.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
mk is a great punisher. his grabs and attacks all set up and are quick. you must have fast reflexes and how the limitations.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
This is true, but to be able to punish one must pressure the opponent. This is the way I play Meta Knight.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Meta Knight is mostly about putting on pressure. Sure, he can be played defensively or campy, but I find it best to stay on them. You can't play so aggressively you get sloppy, you can be punished yourself in many cases! Basically, when I play MK, I keep in their face, punish their mistakes, and avoid making my own mistakes as much as possible.

Domino64 (The JOKER)

Smash Rookie
I recently got back into Brawl, and the main reason...

Meta Knight

It's just his straight godliness that brought me back to Brawl. I love the way he moves, how fluid he is, and how vicious he is.

But anyway, the way I play MK, I'm still in-training (after watching M2K and Dojo, I realized I wasn't as good as I thought I was), so keep that in mind. I just try to be as aggressive as possible, because MK's moves are just suited to this playstyle. You HAVE TO blitz your opponent, make them fear you. Embrace the cockiness of MK, and mesh his personality with your own, and become cold and ruthless. Never let up on the opponent.

Another thing I'd like to say. I believe characters match the user's personality to some extent. For example, I've noticed that almost EVERY Falco I've played is "arrogant", cocky, and a trash-talker, lol (or maybe it's just me) . Much like Falco himself, and these aren't bad qualities, because it shows that you're dedicated to that character and it can even mess with your opponent's head with how well you relate to your mains.

But like I said, this is all just my opinions.

_clinton

Smash Master
Another thing I'd like to say. I believe characters match the user's personality to some extent. For example, I've noticed that almost EVERY Falco I've played is "arrogant", cocky, and a trash-talker, lol (or maybe it's just me) . Much like Falco himself, and these aren't bad qualities, because it shows that you're dedicated to that character and it can even mess with your opponent's head with how well you relate to your mains.

Oh ****, Ness is a bed-wetting, momma's boy who is 13 but looks like he is 8...he also has the nick name "stubby legs" at a certain bike shop called "punk-sure" in his game...oh and he literally lives in his own little world at a certain point in the game as well...

Also for his his starting equipment, he had a cracked baseball bat, a red hat covering up bed head, a blue and yellow t-shirt, blue shorts, socks, red shoes, a yellow backpack, an ATM Card and a cookie...

Oh well, he is still a much better character than any of the other characters in this game...

Nic64

Smash Lord
But anyway, the way I play MK, I'm still in-training (after watching M2K and Dojo, I realized I wasn't as good as I thought I was), so keep that in mind. I just try to be as aggressive as possible, because MK's moves are just suited to this playstyle. You HAVE TO blitz your opponent, make them fear you. Embrace the cockiness of MK, and mesh his personality with your own, and become cold and ruthless. Never let up on the opponent.
MK is a versatile character, you can have a lot of success playing him defensively as well. Watch some other great MK's like teh spamerer or plank...well, it's not as fun to watch, but it works -_-

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Most people expect lag on the f-smash for example. It's very easy to stop them trying to punish by using f-tilt. This is how MK can be played defensively.

Always be agressive when trying to gimp though.

catfriedrice

Smash Journeyman

an interesting theory, I must test this.

I should mention Wolf players are very similar, or so the people at McCallisters will say.

Then again, I also like Dx3, does that make me Fat?

BOODA

Smash Rookie
Another thing I'd like to say. I believe characters match the user's personality to some extent.

I personally can agree with this, because the reason I love playing MK, is that he is an excellent defense - that can be applied offensively; which is exactly the way I play in any game.

I tend to chose characters that fit my psychology - regardless of their tier. I guess you could say I do that because it's easier to understand the character better; almost like an actor does.

This may or may not apply to only myself, but I can't find myself being good with - say - D3 or DK, they don't fit the criteria of who I am as the player...

if that makes any sense???:confused:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
When I play MK, my goal is to swoop around the screen like a crazy man while scoring fast hits with Shuttle Loops and Tornadoes. A hit-and-run tactic in short.

Apathy...

Smash Rookie
Metaknight as a tool I suppose, a weapon.

Personally, I use Metaknight because I want to win, but not for myself. I'm only really interested in avenging my previous main whom has been awesomely screwed in Brawl. My falcon could hold his own with some of the best Texas had to offer, but it wasnt ever enough to consistently win- he was always still just Falcon. Anyway, Metaknight is a winner, and so am I. He is ****.

Use him, for good or evil.

But more on topic, I think remorseless hatred and calculated rage is a good mindset to have.
Being jaded helps.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
MK is just so sexy with punishing and forcing Mistakes. The player on the other hand....are usually very cool people lol.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Metaknight as a tool I suppose, a weapon.

Personally, I use Metaknight because I want to win, but not for myself. I'm only really interested in avenging my previous main whom has been awesomely screwed in Brawl. My falcon could hold his own with some of the best Texas had to offer, but it wasnt ever enough to consistently win- he was always still just Falcon. Anyway, Metaknight is a winner, and so am I. He is ****.
I seriously doubt you've played the best in Texas.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I seriously doubt you've played the best in Texas.
Seconded.

What players have you played? I know almost every person in the texas scene personally, and I don't know you and haven't ever seen one of texas's top players even come close to losing to a falcon lol(aside from Roy_R winning a tournament match against melee1 with Falcon LOL)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
i know of a lot of people who search for their name every once in a while to find posts to respond to, but I have a feeling hylian just does that with texas in the search field instead.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
its all about the gimping. you can never go too far chasing an opponent off the edge

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

So THAT'S why Marth players are all crossdressers! :laugh:
(J/K guys... please don't hate me...!)

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Aggressive, clean, active thinking, flawless, calculative, and punisher are the types of attitudes that i think are necessary to Metaknight's game. Being able to think actively, is one thing that will help Metaknight clean anyone's clock.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
he has to be like that cuz none of his moves does more than 2% -_-

Conspiricy

Smash Journeyman
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm online, Brawl
Please hush.

I belive an aggressive mindset is needed, the sort of mindset where you become a douche. I prefer to call it the "Asshat psycological motivion". The person want's to become the person who they play. (that's why RPG's are so popular) If not in body, then in attitude.

STMH

Smash Cadet
hm.......... well my main needs to be quick and punishing, so i chose mk. Well actually, i used fox and sheik before, so i convert those to mk, i'm pretty much un touchable. Well at least my friends who are pro at brawl can't. And don't even ask, i don't have wifi D:

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I believe that the ability to know when to punish and to understand what a variety of options you have to use with Meta Knight and being able to choose a good but unpredictable option within the split second that you have to react to an opponent's action is what an Meta Knight needs. When you start speeding up the game with Meta Knight's attacks, you have to be able to know exactly what you are doing and what to do if something goes wrong with one of your tactics without freaking out from the speed of the match and spamming the B button or something to scream priority at the opponent.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
i like to imitate the sounds that mk makes when using the a move. Your opponent will think your throwing up, drop his controller, and rush to help you. Leaving you free to D smash him.

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
I'm not the greatest with MK, but like others my strategy is to stay on the opponent at all times, and not to give them breathing room. Even if it means spamming.

Teh_Chef

Smash Rookie
Tbh, I believe the aggressive MK is really overrated.
It may just be my personal style, but I favor the campy MK over the aggressive, on your opponent at all times MK.
I always end up getting punished for being too agressive when I try it. :dizzy:

Top Bottom