• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Conda, just want to correct something you say during your comments. Purple Monado/Buster increases damage done, damage received, and decreases knockback. Red Monado/Smash increases knockback done, but increases given and decreases damage done.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Hey all, back with more play from my local tournament. This is the thread that gave the most varied feedback, so I'm hoping I was able to improve in your all's eyes, ha. I still did some stupid things, but I feel my play was a lot more solid.

vs. :4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOnCkZyCK6Y&t=9m20s - Diddy Kong! I didn't think Shulk could do what he did in this match, but oh man. This was the better of the two rounds I played with Shulk. I think it was mostly solid, don't see any gaping idiotic things I did. Still working on not abusing smashes too much, and going for an off stage game. I need to incorporate Jump a lot more into my game. Also, air counters are bad and I should feel bad.

vs. :rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnwmOqjWkZc&t=2m50s - ToxxiCri from before. The matchup is definitely a fun one. I kept trying to see if dair would win against Rosie's uair, but that was a bust. Majorly. I also mis-spaced the distance up b does in jump, going to have to get that down more.

Once again, y'all are great. Looking forward to your all's opinions.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Once again, y'all are great. Looking forward to your all's opinions.
Much, much better use of monado arts. You showed basic but vital situation awareness, which was something you seemed to lack in the matches you posted last week because of your concerns about monado art drawbacks. Since you appear to have overcome that your art management seems almost natural.

As for glaring flaws I noticed that you like to throw out smash attacks quite recklessly. You landed a lot of them, probably most, but none of them are particularly safe and you never seemed to take full advantage of landing them, especially in Speed. If you're not going to chase them down (or can't) right after you land one in that stance then you're wasting ample time to make the switch to a new art that would benefit you more in the situation.

At 4:10 of the Rosalina game, right after you kill her you stay in Smash. You were already within kill percent and you gave her the circumstance of being able to kill you even easier. If anything you want to get rid of that as soon as possible, since there was absolutely no way it could've done you any better right after killing. While you were at the ledge I saw it deactivate, but I can't tell if that was automatic or manual. If it was automatic I don't know why you waited for it to expire. If it was manual you had no good reason to bide your time with that art on.

After being sent offstage following that, you properly switch to Jump and go for recovering. You could've gone lower to sweetspot rather than going for the offensive option. She was sitting onstage not doing anything rather than following you for an aerial edgeguard. I feel like that's a good indication that she's waiting for you to overshoot the ledge. If they wait at the ledge with a shield up it's usually for the same purpose.

Also, can someone explain this?

Does Rosalina not have a butt?

Last edited:

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Much, much better use of monado arts. You showed basic but vital situation awareness, which was something you seemed to lack in the matches you posted last week because of your concerns about monado art drawbacks. Since you appear to have overcome that your art management seems almost natural.

As for glaring flaws I noticed that you like to throw out smash attacks quite recklessly. You landed a lot of them, probably most, but none of them are particularly safe and you never seemed to take full advantage of landing them, especially in Speed. If you're not going to chase them down (or can't) right after you land one in that stance then you're wasting ample time to make the switch to a new art that would benefit you more in the situation.

At 4:10 of the Rosalina game, right after you kill her you stay in Smash. You were already within kill percent and you gave her the circumstance of being able to kill you even easier. If anything you want to get rid of that as soon as possible, since there was absolutely no way it could've done you any better right after killing. While you were at the ledge I saw it deactivate, but I can't tell if that was automatic or manual. If it was automatic I don't know why you waited for it to expire. If it was manual you had no good reason to bide your time with that art on.

After being sent offstage following that, you properly switch to Jump and go for recovering. You could've gone lower to sweetspot rather than going for the offensive option. She was sitting onstage not doing anything rather than following you for an aerial edgeguard. I feel like that's a good indication that she's waiting for you to overshoot the ledge. If they wait at the ledge with a shield up it's usually for the same purpose.

More like her hurtbox was higher at that point since she was kinda landing and shulk did the backslash at a lower point much earlier, the hitbox of the monado didn't quite activate until later apparently. That or Rosa is just a ghost when there's no Luma :B.

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Awesome! I really tried to make a conscious effort to be varied this time.

I really try to fish for rolls with up smash and down smash, but I think that's due to my friend being so reliant on those, and I could punish them easily. Muscle memory would be a good way to put it. I may switch to a few different names for my mains, so I can put tilts on c-stick for Shulk. I feel dashing utilts could be very versatile instead of my constant up smashes.

What do you mean by taking advantage of the smash attacks? Many of my opponents air dodge immediately, so I guess a good punish would be to dash in for a grab. Mix it up with fairs to keep them guessing? Minus that, I do need to learn when to cancel my arts early to capitalize. I imagine that's something that comes with more matchup experience. Although, to be honest, I can't really think of where to end Speed early. After getting in their grill?

Funny story, that was basically just extreme laziness. I had seen the art flickering, and figured it would end on its own. That was just me underestimating the severity of the situation. I'll remember to stay on the ball for that.

Another funny story, I hadn't really practiced jump recoveries (since they're best done from a tumble, and I didn't want to fumble with a CPU knocking me off). That was raw inexperience that made me overshoot it. My intention was to hit the ledge. I'll sit down and practice that this week.

The cosmos is under her dress?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What do you mean by taking advantage of the smash attacks? Many of my opponents air dodge immediately, so I guess a good punish would be to dash in for a grab. Mix it up with fairs to keep them guessing?
It might just be a personal thing, but it looks inefficient to me. If you get the opponent offstage or something you could buffer deactivation and switch to Buster to have a less demanding way to rack up damage (especially if you landed the smash attacks you were fishing for) or Jump to go for killing instead. If you're going to stay in Speed aim to punish with aerials, jabs, and grabs at the lower percents, those will reward you much greater than one raw smash attack because of of the slight damage reduction. Speed combos dish out better damage and you can follow most moves more smoothly than smash attacks. Only time I'd use smash attacks in that art is when I'm trying to kill. You could use whatever habitual reaction they have to your Speed dash ins against them to get kills in the art, rather than using them early for mediocre punishment. Grabs in Speed are better for punishes at those low to mid percents when you can still combo them, smashes (namely up smash) are about as good if you're trying to kill. I say "about as" because you can switch to Smash or Jump after getting a grab and throwing them offstage.

Minus that, I do need to learn when to cancel my arts early to capitalize. I imagine that's something that comes with more matchup experience. Although, to be honest, I can't really think of where to end Speed early. After getting in their grill?
Yes, it will come to you with more experience, trust me. Just focus and pay lots of attention to the current situation, let your art switches flow swiftly but calmly in reaction to the situation and keep the cooldown timer in mind since you're probably going to grow to like Speed and Jump a lot. Have the arts going through your mind while you play, what could serve you better in a given situation will come to you if it feels "appropriate." You don't always have to act on it (if you have Speed or Jump on it can be arguably better to leave them on).

I end Speed after getting them offstage usually with pivot grab back throw. Not exclusively though. If I feel like I can get some lengthy strings going with it on then I keep it equipped and aim to overwhelm them while it's active, then look to secure stage control before switching to another art.

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
It sounds like the best way to evolve my Shulk play is to put him through the whole tournament, but I feel that he's so weak in comparison to my Robin. He's a very complicated (to me, at least) character, and I'm afraid that many of my opponent's are pretty much flow charting it.

Ugh, this is the reason I want to go to a major. I could get in some casuals with good folks, and really let loose. No need to hold my hand back when I won't see them in a weekly bracket.

Zatchiel, I really appreciate the feedback. As I said earlier, this is the only thread really responding. Robin has gotten one post (a REALLY good post, but just one, a week after I posted), and Little Mac has none at all. It's great to get advice that I can implement. I am (unfortunately, and imo) the best player for Smash 4 at our locals, and I know I'm not that good. This is the best way for me to learn.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
http://www.twitch.tv/dentissbb/b/626763552 at 06:04:00

Played some awesome best of 5 games against Denti's Olimar, Sheik, and Diddy on stream this morning. Saw the opportunity to play with him and couldn't pass it up, dude's amazing. I implemented some of the Shield tactics I mentioned, I wasn't displeased but I'll confess that I overdid it (kept it on longer than necessary several times; another silly habit for me to kick, thanks FG).

I lost the set 3-1, but these were among the funnest games I've ever played on stream and I expected no less against this guy. And the compliment he gave me at the end made my week.

Last edited:

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/3811070?t=1h33m01s (1:33:01)

FOcast :4shulk: vs.:4shulk:Crispytacoz

Really happy about this match from Come on and Ban last night. There were definitely some mistakes on both sides, but I think I played pretty well here. Tacoz usually plays other characters in tournament, but we were really feeling the streamed Shulk dittos.

I'd appreciate any commentary/criticism on this match.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Really happy about this match from Come on and Ban last night. There were definitely some mistakes on both sides, but I think I played pretty well here. Tacoz usually plays other characters in tournament, but we were really feeling the streamed Shulk dittos.

I'd appreciate any commentary/criticism on this match.
Your control is very good, especially in Jump; I'm surprised you didn't use it more often with how fluidly you were moving with it equipped. Shocked even. Jump is terrific in the ditto.

You both used Speed well, but things got a little weird when you both popped on Buster. It was like neither of you wanted to approach. This was more apparent in the second game, looking almost like a stalemate, but it did happen in the first game. One throwing out aerials wildly to cover any area he can with them while the other inches forth with shield. You didn't get to make any use of Buster during that first instance. You just took a looooot of damage which I presume you were trying to avoid with all of the shielding. You would've gotten more out of that situation by just conceding in the "Monado Art mirror" and switching to Jump if you wanted to stay defensive or take advantage by getting him offstage, since your Speed has just expired. Shield stance is a nightmare for Buster Shulk too.

I'm also surprised I didn't see much Vision, especially when someone was in Buster and tossing out aerials. Counters ****ing wreck Shulk if he activates them with a Buster attack. With that in mind, countering those aerials in any art would have made him second guess his decision to throw them out recklessly. *cough* Smash *cough*

You both had quick, sensible art switches but it looked like approaching was a task both of your dreaded at times, especially if you didn't have Speed or Smash on. If you're going to approach against Shulk's aerial range at least look to powershield them as much as you can so you have a larger window for punishing if at all possible. I respect your playstyle but you missed a lot of opportunities to punish because of sitting in shield for so long before he attacked with an aerial. I assume you are very familiar with your own range, so you know when you're safe from or in danger of his aerials and vice versa. Just use that knowledge and start reacting once the gap between you two closes.

Last edited:

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Thanks for the critique.

Your control is very good, especially in Jump; I'm surprised you didn't use it more often with how fluidly you were moving with it equipped. Shocked even. Jump is terrific in the ditto.
Yeah, I've had something of a block around using Jump, because I get worried about the increased damage taken. This was especially true when he was in buster, as I was worried about eating 15% Fairs. The mobility really is huge, though, and I've been working on getting more comfortable with it, especially with Nair->Fair combos.

I'm also surprised I didn't see much Vision, especially when someone was in Buster and tossing out aerials. Counters ****ing wreck Shulk if he activates them with a Buster attack. With that in mind, countering those aerials in any art would have made him second guess his decision to throw them out recklessly. *cough* Smash *cough*
I use very few counters overall, as I find I tend to more commonly get punished than rewarded for them. I guess that's just a matter of reading the game state better, though.

You both had quick, sensible art switches but it looked like approaching was a task both of your dreaded at times, especially if you didn't have Speed or Smash on. If you're going to approach against Shulk's aerial range at least look to powershield them as much as you can so you have a larger window for punishing if at all possible. I respect your playstyle but you missed a lot of opportunities to punish because of sitting in shield for so long before he attacked with an aerial. I assume you are very familiar with your own range, so you know when you're safe from or in danger of his aerials and vice versa. Just use that knowledge and start reacting once the gap between you two closes.
When I started out in tournaments, I found that running in with Nair mixups didn't work nearly as well as it did online, and I started getting punished much more consistently for aerial approaches. I've been playing a much more defensive, spacing-oriented game lately, and trying to focus on ground approaches, but the shield option is just so tempting when your feet are on the ground. I've been thinking I should try to get a feel for using spotdodge->jab to deal with close ranges over shielding so much.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Good Stuff!! Sooo 9B makes full hop mart cancel appear quite effective and formidable! So sexy in the beginning of the set with Pit my god <3 I've only so far been able to successfully mart cancel with jump and speed (Still working on being able to cancel with the other arts :p). He also uses a ton of jump!...I dunno I find myself using jump less and less offensively nowadays and almost solely relying on it for defensive options like recovering/ stalling for shield to return..

How do you guys feel about Jump offensively? That crazy damage debuff Shulk receives just makes it seem really reckless and too risky to use offensively, of course unless I'm already at a high percent. Using it at the start of the match like 9B did seems like a great way to lose the lead right off the bat should you make any mistake at all really, especially with almost the entire cast being able to follow up off of their throws with some kind of aerial.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I would actually love some feedback! Here is a Bo5 with Gyo I played yesterday. (Sorry for audio, capture card audio randomly desynched during stream) I feel like overall I played really well (except for a couple of Jump related SD's >_>)....yet I was unable to win a game. Not sure what I was missing, whether it be a lack of skill, lack of MU knowledge, or the MU being more in ROBs favor or a combination of the 3.... Thanks in advance! :D

I also am not sure about ROBs UpB but I feel he was moving wayyyyyyyyy too fast! I had customs on so maybe he had a custom UpB but he was literally able to float under me and chase me with his crazy good UAirs. I also tried to backslash him a couple times but his aerial mobility was just insane. Let me know if that was indeed a custom UpB because I'm testing ROB right now and he isn't moving nearly as fast.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
I would actually love some feedback! Here is a Bo5 with Gyo I played yesterday. (Sorry for audio, capture card audio randomly desynched during stream) I feel like overall I played really well (except for a couple of Jump related SD's >_>)....yet I was unable to win a game. Not sure what I was missing, whether it be a lack of skill, lack of MU knowledge, or the MU being more in ROBs favor or a combination of the 3.... Thanks in advance! :D

I also am not sure about ROBs UpB but I feel he was moving wayyyyyyyyy too fast! I had customs on so maybe he had a custom UpB but he was literally able to float under me and chase me with his crazy good UAirs. I also tried to backslash him a couple times but his aerial mobility was just insane. Let me know if that was indeed a custom UpB because I'm testing ROB right now and he isn't moving nearly as fast.
He did have one custom. The High-Speed burner which makes rob travel faster but have less fuel.

I'm not very good at analyzing matches... but most of the time you were being shield grabbed when you naired, retreating fastfall nairs with jab would have been a better option I guess. I can see bair seemed to work most of the time, try to malc them more next time to see a better follow-up. Most of the time I think the best option to Rob's gyro is either spot dodging it or jumping (let the gyro stay in the stage.) Because when shielding the gyro, it disappears and Rob gets another chance of throwing another gyro... So spotdodging it or avoiding it will at least give you some time to approach carefully while the gyro cooldowns... Also Gyo didn't use Rob's nair to the fullest. So this is just me telling you for when you go with someone who does use rob's nair to the fullest... Rob's nair can cancel into jab, follow-up, roll away or grab. If not spaced well, Rob's nair has priority. The only attack that can punish rob's nair effectively from my experience is air slash out of shield. Air slash has lots of priority over Rob's attacks but I don't really recommend it because it leaves you vulnerable hence that's why I didn't use it against my matches with Holy. :/ Comparing my matches with Holy and yours with Gyo. Bair definitely seems a must. Also after Rob grabs.. if they miss, they tend to cancel it with a jab. Approaching with jab seemed to work too. From 80+ rob's down throw is escapable, you are unreachable to him at this percent so no airdodging. I think after jumping, a Monado b-reverse could help land safely. I'll try to get matches with Rob players and see how it goes =). Rob definitely seems to have a favourable matchup tho. Keeping up with those projectiles and his grabs...

Anyways...

# Ain't giving up at this matchup. xD

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
He did have one custom. The High-Speed burner which makes rob travel faster but have less fuel.

I'm not very good at analyzing matches... but most of the time you were being shield grabbed when you naired, retreating fastfall nairs with jab would have been a better option I guess. I can see bair seemed to work most of the time, try to malc them more next time to see a better follow-up. Most of the time I think the best option to Rob's gyro is either spot dodging it or jumping (let the gyro stay in the stage.) Because when shielding the gyro, it disappears and Rob gets another chance of throwing another gyro... So spotdodging it or avoiding it will at least give you some time to approach carefully while the gyro cooldowns... Also Gyo didn't use Rob's nair to the fullest. So this is just me telling you for when you go with someone who does use rob's nair to the fullest... Rob's nair can cancel into jab, follow-up, roll away or grab. If not spaced well, Rob's nair has priority. The only attack that can punish rob's nair effectively from my experience is air slash out of shield. Air slash has lots of priority over Rob's attacks but I don't really recommend it because it leaves you vulnerable hence that's why I didn't use it against my matches with Holy. :/ Comparing my matches with Holy and yours with Gyo. Bair definitely seems a must. Also after Rob grabs.. if they miss, they tend to cancel it with a jab. Approaching with jab seemed to work too. From 80+ rob's down throw is escapable, you are unreachable to him at this percent so no airdodging. I think after jumping, a Monado b-reverse could help land safely. I'll try to get matches with Rob players and see how it goes =). Rob definitely seems to have a favourable matchup tho. Keeping up with those projectiles and his grabs...

Anyways...

# Ain't giving up at this matchup. xD
Yooooo I knew it!! That custom is sooooo good its like ROB has Monado Jump on. I think I'm going to make it a rule in the future for opponents to tell you which customs they are using because that definitely threw me off big time.

I rewatched the matches and yea I could have punished quite a few of his neutral airs with either ASOOS or, even better, the power vision custom I had on xD I didn't even try to use it once I think I should have waited in shield or just waited for an approach like that to punish because ROBS Nair does have some start up to it so I can see it coming and power vision accordingly.

Bair is beautiful against ROB since you can jump over his stuff and punish his cooldowns from his missed laser/ gyro. For the gyro I personally enjoy picking it up and slide tossing it with Monado speed for some followups-but I will definitely try to let it miss my shield more in the future so he can't spam me with both projectiles like he did the last match which gave him a crazy lead.

I don't think ROBs hoo ha is escapable even at slightly higher percents with that high speed burner custom-he can easily catch up to me for a follow up. Yea I think I used ASOOS once or twice and lost a stock because of it. ROBs Usmash is no joke xD

When he chases in the air after a dthrow maybe art cancelling could work too!? It would be incredibly difficult to time but if you manage to take advantage of those invincibility frames you could get back the ground safe and sound. I will try b reversing as well tho next time!

Thanks Artryuu :)

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Hey, I got some footage from an 8-player invitational I went to last Sunday, and I would love it if you guys could give me some insight on those 2 sets. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK2fJVjLDew#t=1923 vs. Lucar :4pikachu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK2fJVjLDew#t=4120 vs. PaoZ :4falcon:
French!! And beautiful usage of air slash and counter, especially against that Cfalcon :D Maybe try and be more aggressive with your art changes using the art lag cancel bairs. So instead of running into the opposite direction to activate..say speed, double jump towards your opponent facing away from them and cancel the speed art into a grab or something like that. Will keep pressure on your opponent and is fairly safe if executed properly!

Last edited:

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
French!! And beautiful usage of air slash and counter, especially against that Cfalcon :D Maybe try and be more aggressive with your art changes using the art lag cancel bairs. So instead of running into the opposite direction to activate..say speed, double jump towards your opponent facing away from them and cancel the speed art into a grab or something like that. Will keep pressure on your opponent and is fairly safe if executed properly!
Thanks a lot man ! I just watched these 9B matches (so impressive :D), and I'm definitely going to implement some MALLC into my neutral game :)

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I've been using Shulk for a little while. Is there anything I missed you guys can help with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gwN2mF9w7I
There were two opportunities where you could have utilized Buster D-throw->Air Slash or F-tilt combos. Against Bowser, you can do those combos anywhere between 0 and 40%. It's nice damage.

Otherwise, you had a couple opportunities where you were hit high in the air, which you could have used to switch to Shield mode (would have saved your second stock). You did do it for your final stock, though.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
There were two opportunities where you could have utilized Buster D-throw->Air Slash or F-tilt combos. Against Bowser, you can do those combos anywhere between 0 and 40%. It's nice damage.

Otherwise, you had a couple opportunities where you were hit high in the air, which you could have used to switch to Shield mode (would have saved your second stock). You did do it for your final stock, though.
You can DThrow into Air Slash on Buster?

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
My Dat Smash Doe 2 sets. Ups and downs and all arounds:

vs Deon :4diddy: - http://youtu.be/6WgT1JtLAo0?t=16m50s

vs G~P :4sonic: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP9IiRzK42I

vs JamztheHedgehog :4sonic: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV2oHdfRNws

I ran Hyper Arts and Power Vision pretty much all tournament barring vs Jamz. I found that after losing to G~P that Hyper Arts weren't the best option vs Sonic. I'm aware of some of the critical errors I made, but overall happy with how I did, despite my entire bracket basically consisting of me facing characters whom I hate fighting/Shulk struggles against (a Fox, a Diddy, 2 Sonics and a super campy Rosalina w/ customs).

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

I ran Hyper Arts and Power Vision pretty much all tournament barring vs Jamz. I found that after losing to G~P that Hyper Arts weren't the best option vs Sonic. I'm aware of some of the critical errors I made, but overall happy with how I did.
Freakin HATEEEE Sonic with a passion-checking these out right quick!

Edit: God the :4shulk: vs :4sonic: is brutallll. You did really well at avoiding the spin dashes and punishing them afterwards. From watching the games Nair on Sonic's shield is like 95% unsafe which removes a huge approach option. Also seems like Usmash on Sonic's get up has tricky timing as opposed to other characters, probs always best to go for the the grab ooooor (something that I have been trying to do for a while) D smash with buster on. If they get up normally they are either losing their shield or getting slapped with a solid 20+%.

Patience all around was beautiful, especially in speed. When he realized his spin dashes were not working he opted for grabs/ pivot grabs and every single time he whiffed you punished. Literally the only way to rack up damage/ take stocks from sonic is purely by waiting and punishing, which is sooooo boring and the reason why I hate the character so much xD Trying to find a different point of view so that I will have the patience to wait and punish! Awesome stuff man.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

I ran Hyper Arts and Power Vision pretty much all tournament barring vs Jamz. I found that after losing to G~P that Hyper Arts weren't the best option vs Sonic. I'm aware of some of the critical errors I made, but overall happy with how I did.
I would think so because of Sonic's defensive/stalling tactics.

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Last edited:

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692

I ran Hyper Arts and Power Vision pretty much all tournament barring vs Jamz. I found that after losing to G~P that Hyper Arts weren't the best option vs Sonic. I'm aware of some of the critical errors I made, but overall happy with how I did, despite my entire bracket basically consisting of me facing characters whom I hate fighting/Shulk struggles against (a Fox, a Diddy, 2 Sonics and a super campy Rosalina w/ customs).
Yeah pretty much it looks predicting the normal getup from sonic using upsmash isn't good at all. Specially with buster on, you managed to predict the normal get up, and you punished it, but the buster hitstun didn't last long in sonic causing him to punish harder than what you did... so going for grabs is much better <3. Smash art is quite critical, I find even in 0 percent sonics can gimp you, so using smash against him is not very safe so it's probably good to play safe when popping on smash. Other than that, you did pretty well my fellow bronado. Good matches against Jamz, also I tend to ban battlefield against sonic players. I just find it hard to approach and them platforms help them get their side b shenanigans.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Got some fun tournament play of my own tonight. Wifi warming, and I mean that. My connection has been ****ting the bed all day today and I don't know why.

vs. :4yoshi: Game 1 (this guy won the tourney, I played Ike against his Duck Hunt the next two matches)

vs :rosalina: Game 1 Game 2 (connection is pretty bad so the pace of the match suffers tremendously)

I was pleased with some of my play at least, of what little I played on stream. I'm noticeably developing proficiency with MALLC thanks to you guys.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Got some fun tournament play of my own tonight. Wifi warming, and I mean that. My connection has been ****ting the bed all day today and I don't know why.

vs. :4yoshi: Game 1 (this guy won the tourney, I played Ike against his Duck Hunt the next two matches)

vs :rosalina: Game 1 Game 2 (connection is pretty bad so the pace of the match suffers tremendously)

I was pleased with some of my play at least, of what little I played on stream. I'm noticeably developing proficiency with MALLC thanks to you guys.
Zatchieeeel, you're getting malc so well <3, that first match against the yoshi was too good you dominated it. Mind if I ask why you changed characters? o: You did just as fine with shulk, I usually just change when the matchups not a favourable one or if I did pretty bad. Other than that you got pretty nice reads against the Rosa player ;)
Good matches! Nice to see your Shulk.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Zetchieeeel, you're getting malc so well <3, that first match against the yoshi was too good you dominated it. Mind if I ask why you changed characters? o: You did just as fine with shulk, I usually just change when the matchups not a favourable one or if I did pretty bad. Other than that you got pretty nice reads against the Rosa player ;)
Good matches! Nice to see your Shulk.
Thanks. <3

I wanted to give both my Shulk and Ike some training, and I had confidence that my Ike could do okay in the DH matchup. I went straight Shulk after I got sent to loser's though. Got worried about Ike because like I said my connection has been really crappy. I almost didn't join because of it. Thankfully I had a change of heart.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Yeah pretty much it looks predicting the normal getup from sonic using upsmash isn't good at all. Specially with buster on, you managed to predict the normal get up, and you punished it, but the buster hitstun didn't last long in sonic causing him to punish harder than what you did... so going for grabs is much better <3. Smash art is quite critical, I find even in 0 percent sonics can gimp you, so using smash against him is not very safe so it's probably good to play safe when popping on smash. Other than that, you did pretty well my fellow bronado. Good matches against Jamz, also I tend to ban battlefield against sonic players. I just find it hard to approach and them platforms help them get their side b shenanigans.

Lmfaooo the one kid in the Rosalina game 1 talks about my guide xD

Beautiful stuff against that Yoshi. Really inspired me to try and integrate the aggressive MALLC approach by constantly cancelling arts and throwing out bairs. It's actually really tricky! Especially being able to cancel them properly since jump, speed, and shield all have different jump properties from short hopping so it throws my timing off a bit, work in progress for sure (Y). I have seen some pretty decent results with it. It is pretty tricky to punish if you cancel correctly and puts on a lot of pressure, specifically when the opponent is near the ledge and have no where to run and their only option is to shield.

-Joannett88-

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow Shulk mainers, bringing you some of me most recent Shulk tournament videos. I am from Spain and we are constantly playing online thanks to the Smash support of our national e-sports company.
Pretty happy with my results, I ended up 5th and this was my first offline tournament as a Shulk mainer. I have already pointed out the things I think I need to improve, such as more MALLC, better punishes or reaction time, but let me know what you think:

vs Marcbri :4pit: http://www.twitch.tv/smashbrosspain/b/634383491?t=31m10s

Also in game 2 I switched to Yoshi. Went back to shulk in the others.

Last edited:

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I hope the quality isn't that bad. The Duck Hunt stage kind glares my 3DS. Of course I have to record this with my 3DS since I don't have any good recording software. All of these matches span withen a week to the day of this post. I use the white alt. Shulk in all of the battles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2XGpM70A-k
This first match is against a decent charizard on for glory. No flare blitz spam=decent for me. My first horrible mistake was accidentally letting Shulk yell "Jump!". I guess I should of used forward air when that happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzEt3jyN6EA
The second match is against one of my friend's friend using Samus. The last kill by me was not planned at all. I was just trying to see if U-Air would hit. I'm surprised how the match ended. The other player, S.A.A is a good Samus player. Too bad I forgot to see if I could FR him/her. They kicked my butt in the other matches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XdheqXqgHA
I know is hard to tell which player is which. Just keep your eyes on player 1 and that's me. This match is a team battle with everybody using Shulk. Our tags at the time included: BACKSLASH, GOTPOWER, FEELING IT, 2SHULK4ME and SHULKTIME. I sucked in these matches because I was giggling a lot. Ignoring the Sudden Death(who even cares about sudden death.) Everybody wasn't horrible. Remember how I died in match one? Well I try to avoid that here but I over do it and die below the stage.

I don't think I'm horrible at using Shulk but I'm not amazing at the same time. I prefer team battles because I always get nervous in 1 vs. 1 matches. But I'm working on my salt and skill. Any advice on what I should and shouldn't do?

Top Bottom