• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Sorry to you guys, but I'm still pumped that there's Tales Of content of any kind in Smash. One of my favorite series next to like Pokemon and Kirby. Never finished Symphonia but it's a definite classic. I think Graces f or Vesperia is my favorite though. Lloyd and Cless were the only ones with a shot in Smash and Lloyd got it, kind of.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sorry to you guys, but I'm still pumped that there's Tales Of content of any kind in Smash. One of my favorite series next to like Pokemon and Kirby. Never finished Symphonia but it's a definite classic. I think Graces f or Vesperia is my favorite though. Lloyd and Cless were the only ones with a shot in Smash and Lloyd got it, kind of.
I think we can be pumped for these times to come, and who knows, possibly much longer. I can't be right after all 100% when saying Lloyd's out, after all.

In general, development forward is happening here. We'll try keeping our eyes peeled up for some more.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well at least, Nintendo is smart enough to know that dual-wielding with swords is stupid. I mean, not only your blades would get locked by each other, but you would be defenseless against arrows.
Do your arms get locked by eachother when performing chores 2 handed? Anyone experienced with two swords will have an advantage over someone with one, assuming there are no other differences between them, simply because they have nearly twice as many points to strike from (1 does restrict the other a bit so it's not exactly double) at any given moment. Nightmare would still outrange Lloyd though and Zelos would still be able to out block him, showing that there are other things you can do with a second hand that can often be a better choice.

SionReaver

Smash Rookie
If nothing else comes of it, I'm loving these memes. Wishful thinking, but maybe we'll get more then one DLC character and some of the Mii outfits are a prelude/through people off. That aside, where did you find the coffee one with Lloyd?

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Do your arms get locked by eachother when performing chores 2 handed? Anyone experienced with two swords will have an advantage over someone with one, assuming there are no other differences between them, simply because they have nearly twice as many points to strike from (1 does restrict the other a bit so it's not exactly double) at any given moment. Nightmare would still outrange Lloyd though and Zelos would still be able to out block him, showing that there are other things you can do with a second hand that can often be a better choice.
Doesn't almost ALL of the fighting manuals recommend against dual-wielding?

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Doesn't almost ALL of the fighting manuals recommend against dual-wielding?
In ToS or real life? If in ToS it's probably just a running joke but if not, well, you have to know how to use one sword properly before you even think about using a second. If you have to think about where sword A is, chances are you're not paying any heed to how it's interacting with sword B.

You really do have to be quite experienced before 2 swords becomes an advantage so I guess your suggestion that it's dumb is right in most cases.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
hmm dunno if anyone has said this before but.. somethign occurs to me.
So far thats two of my main fave characters that I have wanted in smash that have turned into MII outfits.

Im wonderign if that was the point of the fighter ballet. Not actual characters, but who to make MII outfits for. If this is the case than I really wish they would have said so. I mean part of it feels dishonest but at the same time the whole purpose of the Mii fighers was to make and play [in a way] whoever you wanted. As lon as ya make a mii or look at the MII community you can make just about anyone right? [I have the tf2 cast as Mii's myself] So being able to have thier outfits is kinda cool.

I just wish they had said so. "Here guys vote for who you want in the game to be added to smash" and "Hey lots of characters wont get in this game but we have plans for DLC so tell us whos clothes you want and we might added it in for ya." Sound Way different to me.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
hmm dunno if anyone has said this before but.. somethign occurs to me.
So far thats two of my main fave characters that I have wanted in smash that have turned into MII outfits.

Im wonderign if that was the point of the fighter ballet. Not actual characters, but who to make MII outfits for. If this is the case than I really wish they would have said so. I mean part of it feels dishonest but at the same time the whole purpose of the Mii fighers was to make and play [in a way] whoever you wanted. As lon as ya make a mii or look at the MII community you can make just about anyone right? [I have the tf2 cast as Mii's myself] So being able to have thier outfits is kinda cool.

I just wish they had said so. "Here guys vote for who you want in the game to be added to smash" and "Hey lots of characters wont get in this game but we have plans for DLC so tell us whos clothes you want and we might added it in for ya." Sound Way different to me.
IIRC somebody here has sent an e-mail to the NoA Company and they replied not to worry; the ballot is for actual characters.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
*Sigh* ...I think you probably saw my thoughts on Klonoa, This "Llyiod" character on the other hand is probably a bigger no for me personally. Again, I already have a salty past with this character with several people saying he and Klonoa should have been "Put in over Pac-Man". You know... Put in an obscure third party character over Namco's main mascot.

And really, I have to say if Namco is going to give Pac-Man a classic treatment for his moveset, I think Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug (or Mr. Driller) or even Mappy would be a better option honestly. And besides, I really think we have enough swordsmen with Roy back and all.

Again, I am not here to "troll" or cause arguements. I am giving my 2 cents.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
*Sigh* ...I think you probably saw my thoughts on Klonoa, This "Llyiod" character on the other hand is probably a bigger no for me personally. Again, I already have a salty past with this character with several people saying he and Klonoa should have been "Put in over Pac-Man". You know... Put in an obscure third party character over Namco's main mascot.

And really, I have to say if Namco is going to give Pac-Man a classic treatment for his moveset, I think Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug (or Mr. Driller) or even Mappy would be a better option honestly. And besides, I really think we have enough swordsmen with Roy back and all.

Again, I am not here to "troll" or cause arguements. I am giving my 2 cents.
You're just scramming Namco rep support threads, implying there are way better characters than the ones we defend and asking for hate.

You lined yourself for a bullet here, because I'm also one of those who'll come at you and say "Lloyd should have been in over Pac-man". Sorry brah.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pacman is an icon, Pacman is a legend. Pacman is exactly the sort of character we should be getting as 3rd party.
Pacman is also a limbless ball with potential for maybe 5 moves at a stretch. What we got was not Pacman and I still disapprove of it. Lloyd, Klonoa, Nightmare, Heihatchi, all are more iconic and fitting than that arms out his head freak.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Klonoa, Nightmare, Heihatchi, all are more iconic and fitting than that arms out his head freak.
I probably wouldn't have to if someone actually knew that was his design since the beginning. If you want a generic RPG character with a sword then good for you. I don't see his appeal.

I am NOT here to cause an argument, I give my thoughts and just leave it at that. MAYBE I'd accept him if we get another Namco Icon first (preferably Ms. Pac-Man due to her female icon status) but that's about it.

I'm sorry if I sound like a **** but a lot of people seem to call Pac-Man generic or uninteresting, when honestly: that's what this character is to me personally.

No ****storms, please.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I am fully aware of Pacman's box art but if we're going off box art alone, Kirby is white and Fox looks like a stuffed animal. I love Pacman as a game but that's just it, I know the game and the character therein.

I am willing to accept this difference of opinion and move on if you are but there is one thing here I will not back down on:
Ms. Pacman is not a character. Ms. Pacman is a reskin who would bring litterally nothing new to the game. Just because she's female doesn't make her any more worthy than anyone else and to judge her on gender instead of actual character merits is actually pretty sexist.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The purpose of a support thread is to post support for the character.

Unsupportive comments are basically off topic.

If you enjoy a certain character more so then Lloyd then perhaps take your post to that characters thread instead... Or the unpopular opinion thread.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
The purpose of a support thread is to post support for the character.

Unsupportive comments are basically off topic.

If you enjoy a certain character more so then Lloyd then perhaps take your post to that characters thread instead... Or the unpopular opinion thread.
However there are times whne disargreement can lead to real full conversation about whether or not a character realy does apply in the world of smash bros. by discounting and listening to the negative we can show off more of the positive towerd our argument. Namco is like Sega, nintendo and Capcom in that there are countless series under thier belt. there is no question that Pacman is an iconic character, and that his many moves brough great reference material from other Namco games. My reasoning for wanting lloyd was due to how well his character fits within the smash bros universe in my head. The tales of combat system is very similar and can match that of the smash bros style pretty easilly. To be honest I actually played Tales of Abyss like it was an RPG smash bros game, and it became easier as a result combat wise.
@ _Sheik _Sheik 'thanks for letting me know about that, and maybe thats what it was intended to be originally but I cant help feel that my thought is what is comming out as the end result nonetheless. But thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
@ ryuu seika ryuu seika I do think her being a downloadable skin for Pac-Man should at least happen, But she is still technically the one who opened up the door for gaming heroines to follow. And considering how Namco treats her like dirt these days. (Looking at you, Reboot!Pac-Man) I think you see why I think she deserves a spot in the roster (costume or character I accept) Thank you for understanding though, I completely respect you.

@ ErenJager ErenJager I tend to see plenty of people at least give their 2 cents and thoughts, kind of what I do.

But aside from that I will let you all continue with your discussion, while I don't agree with this character personally I respect what you think of him being in.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I do think her being a downloadable skin for Pac-Man should at least happen, But she is still technically the one who opened up the door for gaming heroines to follow. And considering how Namco treats her like dirt these days. (Looking at you, Reboot!Pac-Man) I think you see why I think she deserves a spot in the roster (costume or character I accept)
Now that seems a lot more reasonable. There is no real value in including her as a character and her being a skin, while a perfectly reasonable request, has little merit of its own. What you bring up, however, is an interesting point about gaming history and with that I'd say the nod is more than warranted. I am still against the character but dividing up Pacman in the same way as Wii Fit Trainer or Robin would make perfect sense.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ms Pac-Man could be the first third party clone with different fruits and Down B (Essentialy a new playstyle) but not more than that.

Lloyd is not a sword-wielder, he's a zweihändler.
And I support.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Now that seems a lot more reasonable. There is no real value in including her as a character and her being a skin, while a perfectly reasonable request, has little merit of its own. What you bring up, however, is an interesting point about gaming history and with that I'd say the nod is more than warranted. I am still against the character but dividing up Pacman in the same way as Wii Fit Trainer or Robin would make perfect sense.
Im honestly surprised that they DIDN't have a Ms pacman skin there for pac. But I see ms pacman in having a bigger impact in showing the rare fact that [GASP] women played videogames too. It took alot longer to get people to see Women as decent heroes, Characters like Samus and the white mage helped but then again im just thinking english games.. Japan had no such problems... plenty of Female characters got gender swapped in localizations. [If I remember right Tails the fox was originally gonna be a girl I think. It took a few games before I found out She was a he XD -laughs-]
hmm.. I wonder if we will get DLc skins later on.. I mean it sounds like an obviouse idea doesn't it? Maybe get liek an RPG hero pack that gives the swordsmen outfits based on other game characters.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The creators of Pacman claim that he was originally designed as cute, colourful and cartoony as they could manage to try and get him to appeal to more of a female audience so what that means for Ms. Pacman I don't know. It's also kind of funny that they mention how designed for women he was in the very next sentence after talking about how integral to his character his crazy long nose is but maybe I'm just reading into things wrongly.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
The creators of Pacman claim that he was originally designed as cute, colourful and cartoony as they could manage to try and get him to appeal to more of a female audience so what that means for Ms. Pacman I don't know. It's also kind of funny that they mention how designed for women he was in the very next sentence after talking about how integral to his character his crazy long nose is but maybe I'm just reading into things wrongly.
Its cause people are stupid and needed a more obviouse clue that women coudl be gamers. So despite the overly cutsy style of pacman they sTILL had to add on a bow and a dot to make the game 'ok' for women -rolls eyes- She was made necessary cause alot of male gamers were serioous bigots who thoguth women could not play or do well at 'hard games'

[btw wasn't ms pacman made to be an even harder game than pacman? I remember reading that some place. Which adds a ton more hilarity to the whole thing XD]

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As a definite supporter of Lloyd, I actually really like the costume. Pair that with certain moveset options, and he can be similar to his actual self.

Except no Demon Fang. Poor Demon Fang.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Hey fellow supporters, I'm kinda late, but I saw the costume the day it came out. I was bitter about it for some time, but if anything, the costume looks great and it's some form of Tales recognition (it's also great meme fuel haha). I'm still pushing for Lloyd's inclusion though. We won't know until the end right?

I came here to ask a legitimate question though. Do any of you know the official term for using two different artes one after the other in a combo? I can't remember what it was called, and I don't think it's on the OP... Arte linking, Arte something...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The S type EX skill "Ability Plus" has the description "Able to link two level 1 techs together" so linking techs is the official term as far as symphonia is concerned and I don't think they've changed anything other than Techs to Artes.

Top Bottom