• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MT_

Smash Ace
OK I think I figured out why the bracket seeding was so ****ed up (AKA why everyone that didn't get a higher seed didn't get a bye in the first round). It's kind of a dumb mistake, but I think that when we generated the brackets with tio, we did not specify what parameters to seed by. I looked at it just now and it said it was seeding randomly, with no regard to skill, location, etc.

Also note that a HIGHER number seed means that they are BETTER skilled. I am looking at the seeds and seeing all the top players given a "1" for their skill.

These definitely are some mistakes that we can't make for future tournaments. I just tested a new bracket generated with the bracket seeded by skill (after changing 1's to 10's, 3's to 7's, and 4's to 6's) and everyone with a higher seed than 5 (the default) started with a bye in the first round.

So I guess we just need to learn how to use tio? lol

Kal

Smash Champion
MT, I'll give you the $1 back. In the future, I will try to seed better. Generally, I try to seed everyone according to skill, but we were running late due to tio problems so I just did my best to avoid any obvious errors in seeding (e.g. two players from Dallas playing in the first round).

Also, I remember checking both "seed by region" and "seed by skill." However, the number corresponding to players is arbitrary; 1 can both be the best, or the worst, so long as its consistent. Tio accounts for this by trying to prevent putting players with the same skill number together. Thus, you try to pair 10s with 1s, in which case the better players will face worse ones regardless. In the past, everyone who's used Tio has told me that "1" is used to represent higher skill by convention.

MT_

Smash Ace
http://i.imgur.com/SXMwU.png

You're going to have to believe me when I say the bracket was generated with random seeding. I see where you checked off "Attempt to separate players by location" which I think worked, but look where it says "How should entrants be seeded?" above the button for generating the bracket. It says Random. And the reason the option is grayed out is because the bracket was generated, and the selection on Random is evidence that the bracket was generated with Random seeding. I have been testing around with this, and if the bracket was generated based off of Skill seeding, the grayed-out option would say Skill.

Also, the number isn't completely arbitrary because of byes. I continued testing and when the bracket was generated based off of Skill, everyone that had a "1" for their skill rating had to play someone in the first round match. When I changed all the "1"s to "10"s, everyone with a 10 started with a bye in the first round. Whoever told you that "1" corresponds to higher skill was wrong lol.

Kal

Smash Champion
I looked it up and you're correct about the skill seeding.

http://allisbrawl.com/tio/guide/faq.html

And yeah, I apparently forgot to seed it by skill. Normally I do seed by skill. Like I said, I was in a rush due to running late. I'll try and run things better next time.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
I looked it up and you're correct about the skill seeding.

http://allisbrawl.com/tio/guide/faq.html

And yeah, I apparently forgot to seed it by skill. Normally I do seed by skill. Like I said, I was in a rush due to running late. I'll try and run things better next time.
Have you guys thought about using challonge.com for brackets? I know that tio is kind of the Smash standard, but I've seen Challonge used for other stuff and it's pretty nice. It's all web based so it's easy to share brackets. I personally haven't used it myself, but it looks pretty cool.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Told you not to sleep on edgar, kal!

I always just seed brackets by hand after its generated for smaller tournaments

The double bye girl fight I figured was totally seeded by hand

Lolzbracketftw

:phone:

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
If the next meeting is on the 17th I'll have to miss that one too...
:(

Well, at least I'm still getting good practice when I go to Houston, unprecedentedly large amounts of Smash played this weekend.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
You never even played with us.

You just played for a few hours on Saturday with Josh Noc Yannnis and John lol You left before the main event had even taken place.

And other than that, I haven't even seen you nor did I know that you were in Houston lol should've told us or something.

Just don't give us a bad name. Playing for the few hours that you did shouldn't be called "unprecedented" at all.

Play with us this week some time. UH probably.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
You never even played with us.

You just played for a few hours on Saturday with Josh Noc Yannnis and John lol You left before the main event had even taken place.

And other than that, I haven't even seen you nor did I know that you were in Houston lol should've told us or something.

Just don't give us a bad name. Playing for the few hours that you did shouldn't be called "unprecedented" at all.

Play with us this week some time. UH probably.
...what the hell are you talking about? lol
Me playing in Houston = playing with Clay, Josh and Yanis and maybe someone else.
And I'm in Austin now, I aint coming to UH.
And I didn't just play those few hours, I played several more hours of pwning noobs in Brawl, Project M and Brawl minus.

Kal

Smash Champion
Why is it that the only Houston poster who can form a complete sentence is a moron? Don't you have better things to do than talk **** about our players on our thread? **** off, Von.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Because each time I do, I get that response and it's still funny even after the 4th time.

Why just play with them? Play with all of us lol

And it's not playing if it's not melee. That's just time wasted.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Because each time I do, I get that response and it's still funny even after the 4th time.

Why just play with them? Play with all of us lol

And it's not playing if it's not melee. That's just time wasted.
yall live too far.
Houston crew needs to come to richwood and play in the bubble of snobby white people.
Plus the way things are now I get practice against spacie mains in Austin, and when I visit Houston I get to play a falcon, ganon and samus.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, I choked a bit there. It's because Edgar wouldn't stop looking at me!

Kal

Smash Champion
I tip so much with Marth in the hopes that the practice will allow me to seduce waitresses and strippers with tips. So far, no luck, but I think I just need to tip more.

And I totally rigged MT's bracket. Playing Sethlon first was just a diversion.

MT_

Smash Ace
YELLOW

Also, we've been having serious discussions about renaming the club to "Melee Club" or something similar. We've tried to add Brawl but it has been discontinued because face it, none of us care for having Brawl around. I was thinking we should go ahead and just rename this thread Austin Melee. I know there was an Austin Melee thread before but it was discontinued because all of that stuff was taken care of in here... we can still talk about club stuff but seriously, the club is only relevant because of the venue it provides for us, which is fine and all, but I think when people come into this regional board looking for the Austin Melee scene they don't see anything because our thread title is disguised by UT Smash Club, which could quite possibly stand for Utah.

Anyways just sayin'. I vote in favor of renaming the thread to Austin Melee (Club?)

Kal

Smash Champion
Whenever I say "Smash" I mean Melee. Our game is Smash, and if there's ambiguity, people will have to deal with it. I think changing our club name to "Melee Club" is neither beneficial nor necessary. Hopefully we can get Brawl players to show up and give Melee a show, and hopefully they will end up liking it, simply by having our name be "Smash Club." But even if they don't, it feels too much like conforming to a standard we shouldn't conform to.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yo guys, I've got some free advanced screening passes to see the movie Real Steel and would like to hook up the UT Smash Club. The screening is next Monday September 19th at 7:30 PM at Alamo South Lamar.

How many of you would be interested? I can give screening passes to you in person OR provide your club with an email to my boss so you can get your seats reserved.

Kal

Smash Champion
Wikipedia said:
Synopsis

In the year 2020, robots have replaced humans in boxing. Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) loses a chance to become a boxing champion when robots take over, and he becomes a small-time promoter. When he has difficulty making a living, he reluctantly teams up with his son Max (Dakota Goyo) to build a robot that can contend for the championship.
With such a ridiculous premise, I would normally say no. But it's free, and your avatar is so ****ing cool, so I would like a pass (or four) please.

If I were a human being
I'd head straight for New Orleans
And I'd blow this horn so hot and strong
Like no one they'd ever seen

Louis Armstrong, Mister Sidney Bechet
All the boys gonna step aside
When they hear this old ex-gator play
Listen!

When I'm human
As I hope to be
I'm gonna blow this horn till the cows come home
And everyone's gonna bow down to me

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Are we going to Plucker's after the meeting Saturday?
I miss that almost as much as the actual meetings, and I've got free wings coupons...

MT_

Smash Ace
I have lots of plans this Saturday and probably won't make it to the meeting until very late. Probably not at all. Just a heads up for everyone that doesn't care!

Kal

Smash Champion
Without MT present, we can enable janky stages! I'm thinking Pichu dittos on Onett.

Top Bottom