• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unknown creature washes ashore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
What IS this thing? An unkown type of beast reportadly washed ashore in Montauk. It appears to be some sort of rodent-like creature with a dinosaur-like beak. A tipster said there was a government research facility was nearby, but this is unconfirmed.

It has been nicknamed "The Montauk Monster"

I love newly disocvered animals, so this new is especially exciting to me...

http://gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/07/IMG_1883_3_.JPG

Is it an experiment gone wrong?
Some sort of mutated beast?
A brand-new discovered animal?
Or just a REALLY good Photoshop job?

Post your thoughts!

Source

D

Deleted member

*Jumps back* WHAT THE F*CKING HELL IS THAT THING?!!!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I get the very strong feeling it is a hoax, especially because there are no tracks near it. Could be an actual prop instead of photoshop.

I wouldn't get my hopes too high up.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Which, if I were going to stage a hoax like this, would make it seem like a very believable place to put it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, it's obviously fake because it has no fins or flippers. If it was a sea creature, it'd have to have those. If it washed up on shore, it's not wet, so that means they either dragged some odd creature to sure or they placed the hoaxed creature.

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um, wow. It looks like a dog with a messed up snout to me. I don't think that is a beak, although it looks like one. Maybe some weird experiment where they tore the poor thing's nose off?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Um, wow. It looks like a dog with a messed up snout to me. I don't think that is a beak, although it looks like one. Maybe some weird experiment where they tore the poor thing's nose off?
Or when they found it, they totally stomped on it's face.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
I know this may sound crazy but the face looks kind of like a gargoyle face from buildings....

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Well, it's obviously fake because it has no fins or flippers. If it was a sea creature, it'd have to have those. If it washed up on shore, it's not wet, so that means they either dragged some odd creature to sure or they placed the hoaxed creature.
You must not go to beaches often, I on the otherhand, live in Florida, go figure...I have seen dried up fish on the beach, when they washed up, out of the water, and the tides receded, they dried out.
There is a diseased animal facility nearby, which could have either escaped, been dumped or simply, it was so ugly, one of the workers threw it as far out as he could, then the currents carried it down maybe a mile or so, it washed up and the sun dried it out.

Note the crinkled, shiny skin, that means it is dried like beef jerky.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yea 1 picture seems fishy
no pun intended

But if they took one picture and then the Goverment came and took it then ya Thats REALLY Fishey
pun not intended

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Remember that weird cat like animal they recently discovered? It got loads of coverage, I even read about it in the Guinness Book of Records, there's only one picture of this thing. You'd think it'd get more coverage if it was a newly discovered creature.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
There have been a lot of hoaxes just like this that usually come along once every six months.

Other similar hoaxes I've read over the years include (but are not limited to): mermaid, chupacabra, yeti/bigfoot/sasquatch, Nessie, alien, pig-horse, hyena-deer, wolf-fish, and more chupacabra.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I don't know what to say about this. Excluding the beak, it does look a lot like a dog. It's most likely a hoax, though.

Or when they found it, they totally stomped on it's face.
Now that you mention it, I can see a footprint on its face, kinda...

Peeze

Smash Master
Well if it is real(which it probably isnt) then it was domesticated or an experiment. The colth around its wrist indicates that, seeing that animals dont naturally put on clothes.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
most likely a hoax or there wud b better media coverage on it. coverin it with sand on a beach is a good excuse for flaws in its looks.. (cover the dogdge bits with sand etc makes it look real)

DeadlyTurnip

Smash Journeyman
I think its some common animal deformed by putrefaction. If this animal's body had been at sea for long you can be sure it has been altered, bodies bloat with water.

When things die and their anatomy is exposed they sometimes look like things they shouldnt.

http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=2815&pid=9214

Hail the lock ness monster.

It's actually only the torn carcass of a whale.

Dog's do have fingers, I wouldnt be surpriced if it's claws had fallen after a couple of days at sea, pr if they got some wobbly texture to them.

A lot of dog races do have that lower fang thing that comes out at the front of their lower jaw, a tooth, not a beak. As for the higher jaw, I am not sure but there are many things that could make it look like a beak, and those include a simple photo shopping.

In all it doesn't look like a fit creature for the wild, it looks more like a carcass of some small dog to me.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Let's say that it is real:

How long before man will 'accidentally' (if they not already have) endanger this species to extinction?

I'll say about a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom