• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That sounds rad. And yeah sorry, I just reread the OP and saw that you already explained that.
Also, this project keeps looking better with every update. Well done.
Hopefully, it won't get killed by same issue as before...
Speaking of OP, i forgot to tell that i updated it right after posting that teaser. Now it has mod showcase 1 video attached below moveset section and moveset section was updated to basically have everything except for throws and Side B done.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
It's still so amazing looking. I really hope PMDT finds this and picks up on it. More people would be aware that he CAN work. So happy, good luck Bagan.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Side B finished:

It travels nearly half of Final Destination, is easily telegraphed and has noticable start up and some of end lag. If successful, damage is 17%, opponent is launched diagonally up in front of Ridley and there isn't much of end lag. Right now, there is an issue i don't know how to fix - he doesn't actually throws character and all that happens is that opponent escapes while still taking damage and going into speciffied direction, but not taking any real knockback or even being in hitstun/get hit animation. For the thumb claw clipping through Samus' helmet in the image - it is kinda intentional.

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
Side B finished:

It travels nearly half of Final Destination, is easily telegraphed and has noticable start up and some of end lag. If successful, damage is 17%, opponent is launched diagonally up in front of Ridley and there isn't much of end lag. Right now, there is an issue i don't know how to fix - he doesn't actually throws character and all that happens is that opponent escapes while still taking damage and going into speciffied direction, but not taking any real knockback or even being in hitstun/get hit animation. For the thumb claw clipping through Samus' helmet in the image - it is kinda intentional.
So beautiful

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Side B finished:

His tail looks shorten.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
His tail looks shorten.
Thats true. His tail is now 20% shorter. Before anyone says anything, this is actually accurate to Other M. His default model tail length is longer than in actual animations by a lot. Now he takes less space, his range is reduced (this means his range is now exactly same as when he was 17% smaller) on every attacks except for those that extend his tail during side tilt and side smash (which still have their range from video).

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Bagan?
Why the actual h*** are you not on the PMDT?
You're some kind of prodigy. Amazing work, I eagerly anticipate the release.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well, thinking about it, if smash 4 had ridley I wouldn't want the PMBR to do him, so we can get maximum character coverage between the 2 games.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I love the thoroughness of this moveset, but I pray for the day someone makes a Brawl Ridley model with bones fitted to work over the bones in this moveset. I would like to have both Ridleys, it can't hurt to have options. Naturally if it doesn't happen, then oh well, but it'd be really cool to have both.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
PM community better start working on new characters like Ridley and others because PM competitive is starting to die off little by little.

Smash 4 and the new 3.5 update has been a big thorn to PM now. Less and less people are playing it now.

Only way to attract new players and veterans is by adding new characters not playable in smash 4.

There are many people like me and others who would play PM seriously if Ridley and other unique characters were officially added into PM.

They better start working on them cause PM's lifespan is getting shorter by the day.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
^this entire post is bolloks...

apart from the bit where you say you would paly it seriously if ridley was in it.
How is it bull when it's a fact? My friend is a TO for SoCal PM scene and he even said less and less people are participating. Other people have also pointed that it's being played less competitively then before. Sooner or later it's gonna die out. Smash 4 and 3.5 update also affected the attendance based on what they said. A ya PM is getting used less and less.

Melee is still active and smash 4 just started. PM is in the middle and just left in the dust. They just need to do something to bring new people into PM. At this rate it's gonna end bad.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Down Throw done:

It definidely hurts. His tail can hit opponents below platform he is standing on, so, be careful with it. I will post gif of it once i will polish animation.

I also discovered that DAir is pretty cheap in Boss Rush. Unless boss moves too much or has some pretty powerful anti-air attacks/attacks that has a lot of vertical range, spamming it results in no hit victory (you will still take damage from being too high).
Using it against Ridley, Meta Ridley and Tabuu will have worse results since those move too much. So, its new Rock Smash, but not as good.
I wish it was possible for Ridleys star Ko to be that scary sound he makes XD
Its pretty high pitched instead. Same roar as in Other M, but shorter and it fades out. If you meant Ridley-X roar, then it won't appear at all because i couldn't find it with high quality. The only one available had pretty poor quality. I can't take them out of videos because then there will be music and other SFX heard.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
If you meant Ridley-X roar, then it won't appear at all because i couldn't find it with high quality. The only one available had pretty poor quality.
This is not true at all ; I spent ~8 hours of work with a "no-music" Fusion's hack, because the ROM is special and the music can't be removed using emulator. Then I found Ridley's voice in the data and exported it in wav exclusively for your Project M PSA. Don't tell me that is not high quality, because it is the original sound without any alteration. If you don't like it for some reason, maybe I can do some tweaks to soften HF and by adding reverb, but that's all.

Of course you have no obligation to use screams of Ridley-X, it's up to you. Although I guess it could be very fun to use it for a star-KO and a taunt.

Anyway, I love what you do, the quality of this mod has truly been improved since the beginning.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is not true at all ; I spent ~8 hours of work with a "no-music" Fusion's hack, because the ROM is special and the music can't be removed using emulator. Then I found Ridley's voice in the data and exported it in wav exclusively for your Project M PSA. Don't tell me that is not high quality, because it is the original sound without any alteration. If you don't like it for some reason, maybe I can do some tweaks to soften HF and by adding reverb, but that's all.
That link you gave me didn't worked (no matter how much i clicked download button, nothing happened), so, i tried searching for other rips, but failed. I was talking about those i found and not yours. Could you reupload it on 4shared, dropbox or anything like that? I really wanted to use that.

Last edited:

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
so, this is what Ridley's slot might look like on the CSS. this is in no way official; it is merely a proof-of-concept demonstration. Any suggestions as to where Ridley should go on the CSS?
Samus and Zss might have to be moved to the bottom row so it can be three metrics characters in a row

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Samus and Zss might have to be moved to the bottom row so it can be three metrics characters in a row
That's a possibility, but I ended up switching Ness and Lucas's spots with Samus and ZSS's spots, and I moved C. Falcon to the bottom row in the Dr. Mario version. Without Dr. Mario, Falcon would return to his original location on the CSS.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
That's a possibility, but I ended up switching Ness and Lucas's spots with Samus and ZSS's spots, and I moved C. Falcon to the bottom row in the Dr. Mario version. Without Dr. Mario, Falcon would return to his original location on the CSS.
I finally settled on a layout for a Square CSS with 45 slots:
Smash 3 + Ridley + Dr. Mario + Pichu CSS.png

This is when you add Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Ridley to the default PM roster

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I finally settled on a layout for a Square CSS with 45 slots:
View attachment 33148
This is when you add Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Ridley to the default PM roster
I do like your roster layout and I definitely plan to include pichu (it's pretty easy to clone Pikachu, and someone has made a very nice Project M-styled PSA for pichu already), but I don't remember saying that he'd definitely be in haha.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I do like your roster layout and I definitely plan to include pichu (it's pretty easy to clone Pikachu, and someone has made a very nice Project M-styled PSA for pichu already), but I don't remember saying that he'd definitely be in haha.
Which reminds me, are you using the Dr. Mario PSA found in the Brawl workshop on here? If you are, does it crash when trying to wave-dash? Someone on the last page of the thread made a version of it w/h melee physics and I was wondering if it works on 3.5 or not...

If you're not using said psa, can you link to where the one you're using is? I'm interested in crafting a custom build with the roster I posted.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Which reminds me, are you using the Dr. Mario PSA found in the Brawl workshop on here? If you are, does it crash when trying to wave-dash? Someone on the last page of the thread made a version of it w/h melee physics and I was wondering if it works on 3.5 or not...

If you're not using said psa, can you link to where the one you're is? I'm interested in crafting a custom build with the roster I posted.
How can wavedashing crash the game if it is done by physics and not actually character?

That CSS layout discussion is out-of-place here, don't you think?

In other, more relevant news, SchAlternate remade textures for default color (and is going to do that with other recolors) and they look a lot better. Thanks for those textures and dat curleh moustache.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
How can wavedashing crash the game if it is done by physics and not actually character?

In other, more relevant news, SchAlternate remade textures for default color (and is going to do that with other recolors) and they look a lot better. I will edit my post later to show differences. Thanks for those textures and dat curleh moustache.
Sorry, it's just seeing that you can add characters without brawl+ or what not makes me excited for the sheer amount of potential Project M can earn now... (I'll try to keep these discussions to a minimum)

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

In other, more relevant news, SchAlternate remade textures for default color (and is going to do that with other recolors) and they look a lot better. I will edit my post later to show differences. Thanks for those textures and dat curleh moustache.
Duly noted, Bagan. I'm looking forward to your next update. Also, regarding the wavedash crashing, it's possible that an issue with the animation data might cause the freezing, but I haven't heard of this problem before either so it's just a guess.

If you're not using said psa, can you link to where the one you're using is? I'm interested in crafting a custom build with the roster I posted.
PMed.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Duly noted, Bagan. I'm looking forward to your next update. Also, regarding the wavedash crashing, it's possible that an issue with the animation data might cause the freezing, but I haven't heard of this problem before either so it's just a guess.
The only animations used for wavedashing are air dodge and landing animations, so, i really doubt it can happen.
Sorry, it's just seeing that you can add characters without brawl+ or what not makes me excited for the sheer amount of potential Project M can earn now... (I'll try to keep these discussions to a minimum)
Project M uses completly different clone engine completly unknown to public except for few details and it supports only 7 more characters that will still need to replace someone else' soundbank, so, its potential is lower than BrawlEx's. If that is what you meant...

Anyway, here are new textures:

They look a bit brighter, eyes have sclera visible, scales were added and other minor changes.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
The new textures look a little blurry to me, but otherwise look fairly nice. I like that they're brighter than before.

Project M uses completly different clone engine completly unknown to public except for few details and it supports only 7 more characters that will still need to replace someone else' soundbank, so, its potential is lower than BrawlEx's. If that is what you meant...
I believe Pyotr had said earlier that he found a way to utilize the PM clone engine. I think.

Edit: Looking back, I guess the old textures were a bit blurry as well, it was just harder to tell since they were so dark.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
The only animations used for wavedashing are air dodge and landing animations, so, i really doubt it can happen.

They look a bit brighter, eyes have sclera visible, scales were added and other minor changes.
Two things:
1. Ridley looks REALLY nice now with the improved textures (almost like if he was done by the Smash 3 team)
2. The reason why I said what I said about PM's potential is the fact that we can only add up to 7 characters. It puts us in the shoes of Sakurai and makes us think really hard about which characters to add. He can't just add characters Willy Nilly so for us, choosing characters with this limitation in mind makes the characters more worth while.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Two things:
1. Ridley looks REALLY nice now with the improved textures (almost like if he was done by the Smash 3 team)
2. The reason why I said what I said about PM's potential is the fact that we can only add up to 7 characters. It puts us in the shoes of Sakurai and makes us think really hard about which characters to add. He can't just add characters Willy Nilly so for us, choosing characters with this limitation in mind makes the characters more worth while.
I agree with that. SchAlternate made good work on them.
That makes sense. Adding clones would be waste of slot and time in such case even if they are easier to make. Semi-clones - not as much, but still not something really worth it. Adding a character not many want would be a waste of slot too.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I really have no idea regarding the wavedashing. It does seem like a pretty strange problem to have for a character. The new textures look excellent! He really feels like a part of the cast now. PM's clone engine certainly won't turn the game into Super Smash Bros.: MUGEN Edition, but it has several advantages over BrawlEX. It won't increase the game's load time, it doesn't use a broken "Fighter Creator system," it doesn't require players to re-enter the CSS repeatedly (this may have been fixed) and it doesn't force someone to convert Roy and Mewtwo into BrawlEX characters. Your comment about how no one really knows how it works is accurate, though. For that reason, it will never reach the level of prominence that BrawlEX has, which I think is what the PMDT wants.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, I really have no idea regarding the wavedashing. It does seem like a pretty strange problem to have for a character. The new textures look excellent! He really feels like a part of the cast now. PM's clone engine certainly won't turn the game into Super Smash Bros.: MUGEN Edition, but it has several advantages over BrawlEX. It won't increase the game's load time, it doesn't use a broken "Fighter Creator system," it doesn't require players to re-enter the CSS repeatedly (this may have been fixed) and it doesn't force someone to convert Roy and Mewtwo into BrawlEX characters. Your comment about how no one really knows how it works is accurate, though. For that reason, it will never reach the level of prominence that BrawlEX has, which I think is what the PMDT wants.
It most likely comes from something else.
There is one more advantage PMEX engine (tired of typing in "PM's clone engine") has over BrawlEx that comes from its main disadvantage. Since only 7 new characters are allowed, it means that all of them can have their own unique soundbanks instead of sharing with someone else.

Top Bottom