• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Looks good.The grounded version sending him so high to the air looks to be an excellent way for it to end for Ridley(where he is strongest.)
Didn't really thought of it that way.

Model shown is outdated one, but i just didn't had much time to rename every single bone so new model could fit.
I need your opinion on this - i made a better pose that would eliminate clipping problems when just standing, but it would require editing every animation already made except for aerial animations so their beginning and ending would match new idle animation.

Wings need to be moved down so they wouldn't clip through platforms. Should i delay this project even more, but fix one of the easily noticable problems or just ignore it and move on?

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
No. I need to make it interruptible since frame 1, ASAP. How could have i made such mistake?!

Side B done:
Ground version:

Aerial version:

Sorry for framerate, but i guess you can understand what happens. Aerial version originally was going to be exactly same, but he failed to change animation. Unlike Up B, it puts him into helpless state (only because i failed to make him be unable to use recovery specials after side B) unless he hits opponent (ground version only - aerial version always ends with helpless state).
I'm not too sure about Ridley doing a spinning backflip like that. Just a flap at the end would do, like with the aerial attack.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Didn't really thought of it that way.

Model shown is outdated one, but i just didn't had much time to rename every single bone so new model could fit.
I need your opinion on this - i made a better pose that would eliminate clipping problems when just standing, but it would require editing every animation already made except for aerial animations so their beginning and ending would match new idle animation.

Wings need to be moved down so they wouldn't clip through platforms. Should i delay this project even more, but fix one of the easily noticable problems or just ignore it and move on?
Fix it, better now than never at least...

McMarth

Smash Cadet
I also think you should fix it now. I know the work will be tedious, but the polish will only further validate this amazing project.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I think you should do as you please, if it will make your creation satisfying to yourself and those who use it.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too sure about Ridley doing a spinning backflip like that. Just a flap at the end would do, like with the aerial attack.
I'm also not sure about the backflip. Perhaps it's the framerate of the gif that makes it seem awkward, but perhaps Ridley could simply flap his wings and fly away from the opponent after the kick instead of flipping backwards?

Take the time you need to improve whatever you think needs extra attention. Extra polish will make it look even better in the end. You just might change the opinion of every non-believer still out there (those who think like Sakurai) with the end result :D

Last edited:

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
I actually like the back flip it is a good setup air combos if he doesn't go numb (flashing black) when doing the ground version, really could be quite powerful

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I actually like the back flip it is a good setup air combos if he doesn't go numb (flashing black) when doing the ground version, really could be quite powerful
For now, it happens only if he misses.
I'm also not sure about the backflip. Perhaps it's the framerate of the gif that makes it seem awkward, but perhaps Ridley could simply flap his wings and fly away from the opponent after the kick instead of flipping backwards?
Its framerate. It looks fine in-game. Just flapping wings would be better and faster than a backflip.
Yeah, now i think it looks weird...
If you want, I can probably get that work if I remember the code correctly.
Then i would need only ground version to be fixed. If code is RA(LA?)-bit 61 or something like that, then it doesn't works and he instead just loses all jumps even though it works for Up B.

I decided to improve animations, but after first release because remaking first animation already was painful to do and i didn't even finished doing it.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Whether BaganSmashBros keeps the back flip or simply makes him fly backwards, the high altitude that Ridley goes into after finishing his ground Side B should definitely be kept. It keeps him safe, and he could use any air attack on anyone even remotely trying to get close to him (if he doesn't go into helpless state that is).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Whether BaganSmashBros keeps the back flip or simply makes him fly backwards, the high altitude that Ridley goes into after finishing his ground Side B should definitely be kept. It keeps him safe, and he could use any air attack on anyone even remotely trying to get close to him (if he doesn't go into helpless state that is).
He doesn't even loses his recovery specials after launching himself into the air and i won't remove that.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
For now, it happens only if he misses.
Then i would need only ground version to be fixed. If code is RA(LA?)-bit 61 or something like that, then it doesn't works and he instead just loses all jumps even though it works for Up B.
It's not.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
No. I need to make it interruptible since frame 1, ASAP. How could have i made such mistake?!

Side B done:
Ground version:

Aerial version:

Sorry for framerate, but i guess you can understand what happens. Aerial version originally was going to be exactly same, but he failed to change animation. Unlike Up B, it puts him into helpless state (only because i failed to make him be unable to use recovery specials after side B) unless he hits opponent (ground version only - aerial version always ends with helpless state).
I was just thinking, how about after the Side B attack animation is finished instead of doing a flip, he does that Aileron Roll he performed in Other M when he dodges Anthony's Plasma shot.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Send the files, it'll be easier that way.

What do you use to edit the file? Brawlbox?
BrawlBox. Will be sent in few minutes.
I was just thinking, how about after the Side B attack animation is finished instead of doing a flip, he does that Aileron Roll he performed in Other M when he dodges Anthony's Plasma shot.
It won't make much sense considering how he performs that kick. That roll fits more for aerial dodge if it could be used during glide...thats a good idea actually...

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
i have a couple questions 1. Why did you pick Lucario? and 2. Did you ever think of someone else to put Ridley over?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
i have a couple questions 1. Why did you pick Lucario? and 2. Did you ever think of someone else to put Ridley over?
Different slots give you different thingies. For example, you can only give a character a true projectile if the replaced character also had a projectile. Same with tethers, command grabs and other stuff. Lucario probably gave him the things he needed for Ridley. Due to some problems Ridley's now on Pit though, which means no command grab but true glide.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Different slots give you different thingies. For example, you can only give a character a true projectile if the replaced character also had a projectile. Same with tethers, command grabs and other stuff. Lucario probably gave him the things he needed for Ridley. Due to some problems Ridley's now on Pit though, which means no command grab but true glide.
oh ok and did not know he was on Pit now i guess i should of red through all of the pages

Edit: i thought it was still Lucario because on his post on the first page it still says Lucario

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
oh ok and did not know he was on Pit now i guess i should of red through all of the pages

Edit: i thought it was still Lucario because on his post on the first page it still says Lucario
Whoops, i will fix that.
And no awesome final smash either. Well, it still can be awesome, but it will be a lot harder to do.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
By the way, what is Ridley's final smash?
It was originally Lucario's final smash but now that Ridley is ported to Pit, it's going to be like Pit's.
Actually, thats not true. Pit's Final Smash is useless and i can't do much with it. His new final smash is going to be combination of his charged fire breath attack in Other M and Queen Metroid's fully charged instant-kill fire breath seen in Other M if Samus doesn't uses grapple beam while she is charging it. It won't have infinite horizontal range like other beam final smashes, but damage will be high enough to KO even on giant stages.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Actually, thats not true. Pit's Final Smash is useless and i can't do much with it. His new final smash is going to be combination of his charged fire breath attack in Other M and Queen Metroid's fully charged instant-kill fire breath seen in Other M if Samus doesn't uses grapple beam while she is charging it. It won't have infinite horizontal range like other beam final smashes, but damage will be high enough to KO even on giant stages.
Now that is great thinking outside the clone box!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
All kinds of menu stuff except for stocks are done for every recolor. Have few examples:

He is placed so low on CSS because there should be his name where his...back part of the head should be.
Also, Other M original recolor now has a bit damaged wings (not too damaged, just few small holes and torn edges) and i decided what will be new Neutral B - Ridley shoots 5 fireballs in straight line. They will KO near 200%, but they don't have a good vertical range and are limited in horizontal range.

Xtreme Dragon

Smash Cadet
That sounds............awesome.....

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
All kinds of menu stuff except for stocks are done for every recolor. Have few examples:

He is placed so low on CSS because there should be his name where his...back part of the head should be.
Also, Other M original recolor now has a bit damaged wings (not too damaged, just few small holes and torn edges) and i decided what will be new Neutral B - Ridley shoots 5 fireballs in straight line. They will KO near 200%, but they don't have a good vertical range and are limited in horizontal range.
The menu stuff makes me moist.

And I like the new fireball idea, I always thought the chargeable one was a little bit awkward.
Also, could they be angled individually? Not sure how fast Ridley is supposed to fire them (I'm thinking of Meta-Ridley's fireball attack now for reference) and not being able to angle them could limit their usefulness. Will they also shoot horizontally while Ridley's airborne?

Furthermore, since 4 clone spots seem to be pretty much decided (as far as I know), ffs, I really hope Ridley makes the cut and will be added in 4.0. No matter how hard he's to balance, I can't think of anything more hype-inducing than Ridley.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
The change for Ridley's Neutral B is interesting. Shooting 5 consecutive fireballs might push opponents far enough for Ridley to try to get them with the tip of his tail for maximum damage, though that's what I'm guessing.

However, how will his fireballs work when he's in midair? I'm personally hoping his Neutral B doesn't make him hold still in one spot while in the air to spit them out. It'd leave him way too vulnerable. Rather, if he's falling towards the ground, he should shoot them as he falls.

Likewise, If a player were to make Ridley jump and immediately press B with the momentum of the jump, it should work similarly.

This mechanic would allow players to use Neutral B in a variety of ways.

Based on your post, I'm assuming Neutral B doesn't change even if the button is held down? If you ever decide to give it a charged variant, it'd be neat if it were the shotgun blast/spread shot from Zero Mission instead of the single large fireball like before.
The Other M original recolor you mentioned, is it the skin that gives Ridley his duck beak and pupil-less green eyes?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The menu stuff makes me moist.

And I like the new fireball idea, I always thought the chargeable one was a little bit awkward.
Also, could they be angled individually? Not sure how fast Ridley is supposed to fire them (I'm thinking of Meta-Ridley's fireball attack now for reference) and not being able to angle them could limit their usefulness. Will they also shoot horizontally while Ridley's airborne?

Furthermore, since 4 clone spots seem to be pretty much decided (as far as I know), ffs, I really hope Ridley makes the cut and will be added in 4.0. No matter how hard he's to balance, I can't think of anything more hype-inducing than Ridley.
No, they will always fire horizontally because its better that way and its not possible to do in any direction other than forward, back or up with Pit's programming.

I hope so too.
The change for Ridley's Neutral B is interesting. Shooting 5 consecutive fireballs might push opponents far enough for Ridley to try to get them with the tip of his tail for maximum damage, though that's what I'm guessing.

However, how will his fireballs work when he's in midair? I'm personally hoping his Neutral B doesn't make him hold still in one spot while in the air to spit them out. It'd leave him way too vulnerable. Rather, if he's falling towards the ground, he should shoot them as he falls.

Likewise, If a player were to make Ridley jump and immediately press B with the momentum of the jump, it should work similarly.

This mechanic would allow players to use Neutral B in a variety of ways.

Based on your post, I'm assuming Neutral B doesn't change even if the button is held down? If you ever decide to give it a charged variant, it'd be neat if it were the shotgun blast/spread shot from Zero Mission instead of the single large fireball like before.
The Other M original recolor you mentioned, is it the skin that gives Ridley his duck beak and pupil-less green eyes?
Yes, that way. If that spread shot version will be available, it would cover too much space and guarantee that no one will approach him while projectiles are not far enough.
Well, it was like that until default model was fixed and Other M original model became unavailable because of major size differences between those that can't be fixed properly by myself. Now its same as default model, but with (if not counting resolution changes) completly untouched Other M textures.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
If that spread shot version will be available, it would cover too much space and guarantee that no one will approach him while projectiles are not far enough.
Well, it was like that until default model was fixed and Other M original model became unavailable because of major size differences between those that can't be fixed properly by myself. Now its same as default model, but with (if not counting resolution changes) completly untouched Other M textures.
What if the fireball spread shot could only travel a very short distance before disappearing? Similar to Street Fighter's Chun-li, where her fireball's distance was determined by the input. Ridley's standard fireballs (tap the B button) could travel far with decent speed and poor vertical range, while the shotgun/spread shot (hold down the B button) would have a very slow and short traveling distance but an improved vertical reach. Picture Ridley creating a slow-moving wall made up of fireballs lined-up vertically, and the wall is as tall as him.

Strategies involving the wall of fireballs would be similar to Urien's Aegis Reflector from SF3rd Strike, with players using the slow-moving barrier as cover/protection while trying to hit/grab opponents through the barrier before it disappears, or if they're fast enough, getting behind opponents to trap them between the wall and Ridley. Just ideas of course.

About the Other M texture, is it possible to just change Ridley's head to match his Other M design? The way I see it, simply changing his head to match a previous appearance is an easy way of creating ''alternate costumes'' for him. I imagine people in the near future will be making alternate costumes where they change his head to resemble something closer to his 2D appearances, or dare I say, his original NES look.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What if the fireball spread shot could only travel a very short distance before disappearing? Similar to Street Fighter's Chun-li, where her fireball's distance was determined by the input. Ridley's standard fireballs (tap the B button) could travel far with decent speed and poor vertical range, while the shotgun/spread shot (hold down the B button) would have a very slow and short traveling distance but an improved vertical reach. Picture Ridley creating a slow-moving wall made up of fireballs lined-up vertically, and the wall is as tall as him.

Strategies involving the wall of fireballs would be similar to Urien's Aegis Reflector from SF3rd Strike, with players using the slow-moving barrier as cover/protection while trying to hit/grab opponents through the barrier before it disappears, or if they're fast enough, getting behind opponents to trap them between the wall and Ridley. Just ideas of course.

About the Other M texture, is it possible to just change Ridley's head to match his Other M design? The way I see it, simply changing his head to match a previous appearance is an easy way of creating ''alternate costumes'' for him. I imagine people in the near future will be making alternate costumes where they change his head to resemble something closer to his 2D appearances, or dare I say, his original NES look.
That would work. Either way, projectile used for Neutral B is Pit's, which can't move in any directon other than forward, back and up without being controlled after being shot as far as i know, so, this neat idea may not work.

No. Not by me at least. It would be a lot easier to just resize Other M model and rename bones and it would be more accurate since there is other parts edited like his tail, hip spikes and body spikes. Alt for him should change more than his head if it is based off one of his previous appearances or its just not really worth it.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
That would work. Either way, projectile used for Neutral B is Pit's, which can't move in any directon other than forward, back and up without being controlled after being shot as far as i know, so, this neat idea may not work.
I completely forgot about shooting up and back. If this idea works while using Pit's mechanics, does that mean players will be able to create firewalls above and on either side of Ridley?... Interesting, but perhaps abit too good for balance. Please let us know the details of your progress or setbacks on this idea in the coming days/weeks :)

Alt for him should change more than his head if it is based off one of his previous appearances or its just not really worth it.
The idea of simply changing heads came to me after reading your posts on how your Ridley mod's body/bones would never be able to match with classic Ridley's body (which is sadly what most of his appearances use). Anxious to see what fans will come up with after you release your mod!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I completely forgot about shooting up and back. If this idea works while using Pit's mechanics, does that mean players will be able to create firewalls above and on either side of Ridley?... Interesting, but perhaps abit too good for balance. Please let us know the details of your progress or setbacks on this idea in the coming days/weeks :)

The idea of simply changing heads came to me after reading your posts on how your Ridley mod's body/bones would never be able to match with classic Ridley's body (which is sadly what most of his appearances use). Anxious to see what fans will come up with after you release your mod!
Thats not exactly what i meant. Projectiles won't be able to go in any other direction other than those 3 - thats what i meant. I will report progress on Neutral B today since im working on it right now. I recycled animations from previous Neutral B, but it will still fit.

I bet there will be Meta Ridley done at least once because, well, its like Melee Ganondorf.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if it has been mentioned but are there plans for an entry animation (or is there already one)?

If not, did you have something in mind?
The most obvious candidate would probably be Ridley appearing from the shadows just like on Ceres in Super Metroid. On the other hand it wouldn't make much sense without a black background, heh...

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Dunno if it has been mentioned but are there plans for an entry animation (or is there already one)?

If not, did you have something in mind?
The most obvious candidate would probably be Ridley appearing from the shadows just like on Ceres in Super Metroid. On the other hand it wouldn't make much sense without a black background, heh...
Metroid Prime 3 did that as well by making Meta Ridley appear out of the shadows on Norion :)
I think the only plausible intro we could get is something like in Smash Bros 4's boss Ridley, where he flies up from the bottom of the screen in the background and lands in the foreground.

Top Bottom