• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So I was screwing around with BrawlBox for the heck of it, and I decided to put Ridley's model over Giga Bowser's animations.

And the results were.....creepy.
View attachment 46832

Maybe this is Ridley's true form? :p
Its worse when original Other M model is used with his animations. He becomes to thin and long that you can't see much details on him.

Aerial version of Side B is finished and has fully functional (no doubts this time) code. Now i just need to find perfect knockback values because right now, it always is a guaranteed KO. I want it to be like Ganondorf's DAir (but with lower damage) so reward would be worth the risk (it puts him into helpless state and it moves him only horizontally, so, bad attempt at flashy edgeguard will never end well).
Also, i updated banner in my signature with outdated model, but it looks better than before. After 2.0's release, OP will be updated too, with images showing each move.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I was also working on some refined animations to help get myself acustomed to Brawlbox; so far, I've change some of the idles (which are kinda screwed up because using a trackpad with Brawlbox is a pain :p), the sidestep and airdodge animations, and some of the other animations were slightly tweaked. I've included the file here (in a .zip archive) in case you want to see them in motion. I'm pretty proud of the airdodge animation, myself;

Attachments

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I was also working on some refined animations to help get myself acustomed to Brawlbox; so far, I've change some of the idles (which are kinda screwed up because using a trackpad with Brawlbox is a pain :p), the sidestep and airdodge animations, and some of the other animations were slightly tweaked. I've included the file here (in a .zip archive) in case you want to see them in motion. I'm pretty proud of the airdodge animation, myself;
Idle animation (or whats supposed to be it) looks bad and i see no differences in other animations.

...<_<...
...>_>...

...finally...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Side B (both ground and aerial version) in action:

Aerial version is a bit stronger than shown here, but works in same way as shown here. Ridley stops going forward after 8 frames - any further movement is done by player. He doesn't moves too fast though, so, no "imma gonna go close to blast zone and get free KO" bulls**t. There are 2 bugs i found with Side B:
  1. (Aerial version only) He loses all jumps he had for some reasons. Doesn't really matters though since you will most likely survive if you will grab someone.
  2. If you will hold back once he will stop raising his arm during start up, he will turn around when performing throw itself. Not sure what to think of it though - is it something that must be terminated immediately or left as a useful tool?
For those who noticed that Ridley doesn't gets much recoil after shooting fireball and that explosion is too big - that will be fixed.
Other things i noticed:
  • Ground Side B followed up with UTilt always hits opponent (unless opponent uses any kind of tech or its too close to the ledge because then opponent just gets thrown down), which at low-medium % can also be followed up with DTilt and later even with Up B.
  • Aerial Side B's knockback is determined by both the hitbox and throw data, making it hard to set up properly. Trial-and-error, here i go...

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Interesting updates... Dunno why I stopped getting the notifications.
No files in the works to test yet so time to eyeball this thread until so.

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet

Aerial version is a bit stronger than shown here, but works in same way as shown here. Ridley stops going forward after 8 frames - any further movement is done by player. He doesn't moves too fast though, so, no "imma gonna go close to blast zone and get free KO" bulls**t. There are 2 bugs i found with Side B:
  1. (Aerial version only) He loses all jumps he had for some reasons. Doesn't really matters though since you will most likely survive if you will grab someone.
  2. If you will hold back once he will stop raising his arm during start up, he will turn around when performing throw itself. Not sure what to think of it though - is it something that must be terminated immediately or left as a useful tool?
For those who noticed that Ridley doesn't gets much recoil after shooting fireball and that explosion is too big - that will be fixed.
Other things i noticed:
  • Ground Side B followed up with UTilt always hits opponent (unless opponent uses any kind of tech or its too close to the ledge because then opponent just gets thrown down), which at low-medium % can also be followed up with DTilt and later even with Up B.
  • Aerial Side B's knockback is determined by both the hitbox and throw data, making it hard to set up properly. Trial-and-error, here i go...
...Damn Bagan, that aerial side B looks gorgeous AF!
Regarding the turnaround thing, i guess you should let it in so we can see if it's broken or not before trying to remove it.

Also, i have 3 suggestions:
-Replace the grounded up-B with the old up-B (i told you that already, im just reposting it so everyone can discuss it)
-Remove the ability to cancel the glide into an aerial: i feel like it makes Ridley's recovery too good, he can already cover himself with fireballs. Maybe replace it with a unique glide attack, kinda like charizard's glide.
-Have down air automatically go through opponents if it's used more than 2 or 3 times without touching the ground, to limit its spammability.

Anyway, 2.0 HYPE!

Edit: typo

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...Damn Bagan, that aerial side B looks gorgeous AF!
Regarding the turnaround thing, i guess you should let it in so we can see if it's broken or not before trying to remove it.

Also, i have 3 suggestions:
-Replace the grounded up-B with the old up-B (i told you that already, im just reposting it so everyone can discuss it)
-Remove the ability to cancel the glide into an aerial: i feel like it makes Ridley's recovery too good, he can already cover himself with fireballs. Maybe replace it with a unique glide attack, kinda like charizard's glide.
-Have down air automatically go through opponents if it's used more than 2 or 3 times without touching the ground, to limit its spammability.

Anyway, 2.0 HYPE!

Edit: typo
Ground version certainly isn't as bad as aerial version since that one allows you to quickly change roles with someone edgeguarding.

-I have different plans for old Up B.
-It won't be any different if it will be a glide attack instead of normal aerial attack.
-Im not sure how it can be done, but i already have solution for this - nerf bounce distance.
Interesting updates... Dunno why I stopped getting the notifications.
No files in the works to test yet so time to eyeball this thread until so.
Thats an issue with Smashboards.

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
-I have different plans for old Up B.
-It won't be any different if it will be a glide attack instead of normal aerial attack.
-Im not sure how it can be done, but i already have solution for this - nerf bounce distance.
-I remember you saying you planned to make it an alt side b or something, i personally think overusing this alt move thing is not a good idea, if that's what you're planning.
-You've got a point there, i still think a cancellable glide is a little to safe as a recovery, considering his other options.
-Do you mean he'll just not bounce as high, or he'll bounce lower every subsequent bounce, like ZSS's down air?

Also, another suggestion i forgot: nerf down air's knock back, so it's not a kill move unless it meteors.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
-I remember you saying you planned to make it an alt side b or something, i personally think overusing this alt move thing is not a good idea, if that's what you're planning.
-You've got a point there, i still think a cancellable glide is a little to safe as a recovery, considering his other options.
-Do you mean he'll just not bounce as high, or he'll bounce lower every subsequent bounce, like ZSS's down air?

Also, another suggestion i forgot: nerf down air's knock back, so it's not a kill move unless it meteors.
-Im using this alt move thing only twice and will not use it any further than that.
-Every glide can be cancelled (they put user in helpless state, but one hit is enough to put him back into falling state with glide available once again) and glide is certainly not one of the safest types of recovery (Mario alone crushes them like Goombas) anyway.
-Probably former one unless i will figure out how to do latter one.
-I don't see a reason for this one.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360

Other things i noticed:
That new side B is very Ridley like. I always imagined him being able to use some kind of aerial grab attack. Great work, can't wait to bring Ridley up against my friends just to surprise them with new attacks.

Zaelkath

Smash Rookie
I'm a little iffy on the speed at which he drags the opponent on the ground...it seems a little slow but that may just be because I've gotten too used to the speed of the old forward throw.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
I'm a little iffy on the speed at which he drags the opponent on the ground...it seems a little slow but that may just be because I've gotten too used to the speed of the old forward throw.
Pretty sure that slowness is just caused by the slowed down recording.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Pretty sure that slowness is just caused by the slowed down recording.
This and because of increased end lag and it really isn't as fast as it was on FThrow since i had to make aerial version last longer and thats not possible without making ground version longer because of the way this grab works (after opponent finishes grabbed animation, he gets automatically launched).

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I was imagining his command grab be like Ganondorf.

If grabbed int he air, and hitting the ground, he would grind the target ont he ground.
If grabbed int he air, and ther eis no ground, bot player dies.

But I guess that would make Ridley a super cheap character off-stage, where he already dominates.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
+ it's kinda uninspired imo. We'd have 4 fat characters with kamikaze moves then, lol.
And its not possible either because opponent would get stuck to Ridley's ThrowN bone (or the other way, i don't remember what pikazz said, but it was unacceptable), which usually is located when his hip bone is outside of throws and some of attacks.
...yes, i actually tried. And there are only 2 characters like this in PM (Kirby isn't fat, Wario can't take opponent with him because of short duration of the attack and DK is useless for that since he is always under his opponent, so, opponent can recover).

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
DK's isn't useless. Cargo throw kamikaze isn't a last stock finisher but it's still great to reset percentages.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
DK's isn't useless. Cargo throw kamikaze isn't a last stock finisher but it's still great to reset percentages.
And if opponent can actually recover from that point or you mean if he throws opponent at the main platform?

Ok, this isn't something extremely exciting, but still nice to see it return thanks to KingJigglypuff again:

But because of model's filesize, i had to reduce texture quality...i'll try to find a way to fix this of course.

Last edited:

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
That sounds like something that needs to be fixed before release; his model was already very intricate and stressed Dolphin more than any other character.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That sounds like something that needs to be fixed before release; his model was already very intricate and stressed Dolphin more than any other character.
Yes, it needs to be fixed, but thats not something i can do...
Thats Dolphin. I obviously should not attempt to make his model completly lag-less on Dolphin because that ALWAYS depends on player's computer while Wii and WiiU is always exactly same for everyone. If it will lag on Wii, then i should do something about it.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
did you say you could fly in any direction with the aerial side b plus am i the only one that thinks it might last too long?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
did you say you could fly in any direction with the aerial side b plus am i the only one that thinks it might last too long?
Only if you actually grabbed someone and he is rather slow while doing it. As for duration, that doesn't matters much and emulator was not at full speed while recording it. It still lasts for 68 frames, but its not enough to just go to blast zone so close you can almost taste it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I am really excited about this new side-b! I can't wait to grab unsuspecting foes and drag them into the heavens! Do we have any word on what the new Usmash is?
There is no new USmash. Unless SilentDo0m will cook up new USmash animation that is too different from current one.

Bad news - game crashes now at random (mostly when Ridley shoots few fireballs in any direction). Will try to fix it. Most likely because of filesize, which would mean old Up B will not return.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Negative or positive?
Depends on the person, but author of the video gave more-or-less positive feedback and nothing on his overall size (i mean size of his whole body and not any certain part like tail or wings).

Anyway, game crashing glitch's trigger is found out - fireballs. After he shoots fireball in any direction, game crashes after some time (from 2 seconds to few frames before fireball even appears). This started happening after command grab was done. It wasn't like that before. I have no idea how to fix it though.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Anyway, game crashing glitch's trigger is found out - fireballs. After he shoots fireball in any direction, game crashes after some time (from 2 seconds to few frames before fireball even appears). This started happening after command grab was done. It wasn't like that before. I have no idea how to fix it though.
Maybe it's because he's based off of Pit, and the game is having trouble registering the fireball after you use a command grab (which isn't normally a part of Pit's moveset)? That could be a reason, but really I'm not very knowledgable in Brawl codes, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :p

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Maybe it's because he's based off of Pit, and the game is having trouble registering the fireball after you use a command grab (which isn't normally a part of Pit's moveset)? That could be a reason, but really I'm not very knowledgable in Brawl codes, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :p
Even if its used at the start of the match, it still happens. It started appearing after command grab was added. Pikazz said that it may be happening because of the way command grab is added and that it may be conflicting with the fireball.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Even if its used at the start of the match, it still happens. It started appearing after command grab was added. Pikazz said that it may be happening because of the way command grab is added and that it may be conflicting with the fireball.
I would suggest not adding more moves to his move set. Think about it. From Relax Alex upload of your Ridley's mod showcase, it didn't have this problem. And I actually liked his old fireball downwards shot in the air move. I believe you should have left Ridley's move set how it was then and just focused on balancing. The mod alone is already too good to be true. Try not to make it anymore too good to be true. Unless it a backfire. I know its exciting, but you should make the best of the best you already have. I want to see this mod officially added to Project M someday. I fear if they notice the creator of the mod continuously having difficulties with his work, they may turn down the suggestion. Don't make the project more harder on you then it needs to be. Once you finish the balancing, you should be done.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Got it.
Didn't seem spiteful
Cool. Also that video with the pirate thing always makes me laugh. Think you can send me the pics, gifs, and videos that involve that FNAF style Ridley of yours Bagan?

Top Bottom