• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Honestly, it would be stupid for them NOT to add Ridley seeing as how his inclusion would boost PM's popularity even more.
Polish is the name of the game, my friend. I'm sure it's in the works if they don't somehow have better characters in mind already, but if he's gonna be in, he has to be to their elite standards, and that's gonna take ages.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If or when an official PM Ridley does happen though, what becomes of this mod? Will it just be yesterday's news, or will it still be worked on & supported here and there? I'd still follow this one regardless to see how it further progresses, but either way I guess it'd be a win-win situation for Ridley.

edit: Finally updated to PM 3.6 beta and 2.1 for this a few hours ago, btw. Liking the changes so far...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If or when an official PM Ridley does happen though, what becomes of this mod? Will it just be yesterday's news, or will it still be worked on & supported here and there? I'd still follow this one regardless to see how it further progresses, but either way I guess it'd be a win-win situation for Ridley.

edit: Finally updated to PM 3.6 beta and 2.1 for this a few hours ago, btw. Liking the changes so far...
I will still work on it. Moveset will also be different and most likely will have more from Metroid than their moveset (not sure about that though, but they usually put balance above that kind of stuff). So, there will be a reason to use this one.

DestROY13103

Smash Rookie
Can you make a version over somebody else?
Over Olimar, for example? Pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Am I supposed to remove/edit Pit.s rel file and change it to Ridley's like this ft_ridley.rel?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So any progress with Rids?
Slightly changed UTilt animation (now there are no blind spots, so, if opponent is right under his chest or right behind him, fire will still hit said opponent), slightly changed FTilt animation and now it hits twice like in SSB Crusade, some minor fixes and changes here and there, etc. Its getting pretty slow, i know i know. But there's really nothing to worry about!
Am I supposed to remove/edit Pit.s rel file and change it to Ridley's like this ft_ridley.rel?
No. All files should have "Pit" in them instead of "Ridley".
Can you make a version over somebody else?
Over Olimar, for example? Pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls
PyotrLuzhin already made one. But its not finished yet (there are absolutely no sounds exclusive to Ridley unless Pit is in the match, but then he will be using Pit's sounds).

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
No. All files should have "Pit" in them instead of "Ridley".
And I copy the Pit.rel files and paste them in what other? Oh! Do I paste the Pit.rel files in the Project M codes folder where I have your Ridley mod I downloaded stored?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And I copy the Pit.rel files and paste them in what other? Oh! Do I paste the Pit.rel files in the Project M codes folder where I have your Ridley mod I downloaded stored?
No! You put it into module folder (and it should be ft_pit.rel).
...urgh...Ok. Just do this with no extra steps:
1. Unpack the archive.
2. Extract its contents into your SD card.
3. Done.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
No! You put it into module folder (and it should be ft_pit.rel).
...urgh...Ok. Just do this with no extra steps:
1. Unpack the archive.
2. Extract its contents into your SD card.
3. Done.
But when I click the Ridley 2.1 file, it says file can't be opened. I don't think my Ridley 2.1 can be unpacked at all. That's why I'm still confused. I'm sorry, man :(

Where is the archive? Like is it one of the Project M folders?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
But when I click the Ridley 2.1 file, it says file can't be opened. I don't think my Ridley 2.1 can be unpacked at all. That's why I'm still confused. I'm sorry, man :(

Where is the archive? Like is it one of the Project M folders?
Use WinRar for that.

Archive = .rar file.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Use WinRar for that.

Archive = .rar file.
Alright. I think I'm close :) I got the CSP, CSS, BPs, etc files. I had to use my newest computer. I turned on my Wii and it said Receiving Vault Data. I turned my Wii off because it didn't seem to want to end. Did I do something incorrect? I placed the CSP, CSS, BPs, etc files into the codes folder. Should I paste them into the Project M folder, Module folder?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Alright. I think I'm close :) I got the CSP, CSS, BPs, etc files. I had to use my newest computer. I turned on my Wii and it said Receiving Vault Data. I turned my Wii off because it didn't seem to want to end. Did I do something incorrect? I placed the CSP, CSS, BPs, etc files into the codes folder. Should I paste them into the Project M folder, Module folder?
That folder should NOT be used if you don't know how to manually insert all of those icons. Other 2 folders (projectm and codes) SHOULD be used and both should merge with already existing folders with same name on SD card.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
That folder should NOT be used if you don't know how to manually insert all of those icons. Other 2 folders (projectm and codes) SHOULD be used and both should merge with already existing folders with same name on SD card.
Beyond frustrated. I appreciate the patience, Bagan. I blame Sakurai. His ******** excuse is the reason why I can't play as my most anticipated Nintendo character. You would think after he went through damaging his hands just to created a pretty mediocre game in the end. All it has going for it is the characters. Never though I would lose respect for my all time favorite video game director. I pray he isn't the lead director if there comes a Smash 5.

shikamaru12

Smash Apprentice
Beyond frustrated. I appreciate the patience, Bagan. I blame Sakurai. His ******** excuse is the reason why I can't play as my most anticipated Nintendo character. You would think after he went through damaging his hands just to created a pretty mediocre game in the end. All it has going for it is the characters. Never though I would lose respect for my all time favorite video game director. I pray he isn't the lead director if there comes a Smash 5.
Hey, chill out. I understand your frustration, as I was confused over all of the files and such when I first started to play Project M. I will show you how to install it.

Make sure to copy your Project M folder just in case of error.
1. Download the Ridley mod from the original post and put it, say, on your desktop. Make sure you have Winrar/Winzip/7zip/etc so you can open the rar.
2. Open up the RAR. Inside will be a folder called codes, another called projectm, and another called CSPs, BPs, CSS, etc. Let's start with codes. Open up the codes folder. Inside will be a RSBE01.gct file. This allows Ridley to have the Metroid logo and be called Ridley on the results screen. Copy the RSBE01 file. Now, go to where you installed Project M on your SD card or Dolphin (Gamecube emulator for PC.) There should be a codes file there, too. Now, delete the RSBE01 file there, and paste the one from the Ridley RAR file. That takes care of the "codes" folder. Now on to the actual mod.
3. Go to the Ridley RAR file. Open up projectm, then pf. Copy all of the contents of that folder. Now go to your Project M installation. Go to projectm\pf. Now paste. It will ask you to replace some files. Click yes for every single one of them. Now, you have Ridley. Reply back if you have any issues.

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
I'd love for somebody to make a semi-cinematic trailer (a la SSB Wii U/3DS) for Ridley in Project M. Heck, I'd make it myself if I knew how (but while I may not, I might know somebody who could)! Awesome work, had a lot of fun with him.

Edit: I talked to my friend about it and he said that he might be willing to do it. I offered to make up a storyboard for him so that he can get an idea of what could be made, and I'm gonna do it. If you're interested in keeping in touch about it, BaganSmashBros, just message me.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'd love for somebody to make a semi-cinematic trailer (a la SSB Wii U/3DS) for Ridley in Project M. Heck, I'd make it myself if I knew how (but while I may not, I might know somebody who could)! Awesome work, had a lot of fun with him.

Edit: I talked to my friend about it and he said that he might be willing to do it. I offered to make up a storyboard for him so that he can get an idea of what could be made, and I'm gonna do it. If you're interested in keeping in touch about it, BaganSmashBros, just message me.
Im interested, but depends on what exactly it should be.

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
Im interested, but depends on what exactly it should be.
Here's my first page of the storyboard.

I was thinking that it could be a bit more story-driven than what we've seen from SSB Wii U/3DS's trailers. Ridley is fighting one simulation of Samus after another in a combat training room while he reflects upon how nothing that has done in the past has succeeded in killing Aran. In the middle of this, he gets word that Samus has entered a fighting tournament called "Super Smash Bros." and sees this as his chance to catch the bounty hunter off-guard. He flies off from the ship (space dragons don't need no gunships), then an in-game sizzle reel follows.

You like the idea of this, or did you have something else in mind?

Edit: The brackets around speech text signify that it's in gibberish (the "space pirate language"). I was planning for his voiceover being in intelligible English for the last half (mostly sizzle reel).

Edit II: Yes, Ridley can talk (he just never does in the games).

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Here's my first page of the storyboard.

I was thinking that it could be a bit more story-driven than what we've seen from SSB Wii U/3DS's trailers. Ridley is fighting one simulation of Samus after another in a combat training room while he reflects upon how nothing that has done in the past has succeeded in killing Aran. In the middle of this, he gets word that Samus has entered a fighting tournament called "Super Smash Bros." and sees this as his chance to catch the bounty hunter off-guard. He flies off from the ship (space dragons don't need no gunships), then an in-game sizzle reel follows.

You like the idea of this, or did you have something else in mind?

Edit: The brackets around speech text signify that it's in gibberish (the "space pirate language"). I was planning for his voiceover being in intelligible English for the last half (mostly sizzle reel).

Edit II: Yes, Ridley can talk (he just never does in the games).
Well, if you can make first part work (BTW, how exactly will it be done? SFM or something like that?), then more power to you...or something. But i don't really like the idea of him talking in somehing like this. I know that he can do it of course, but its better leave it out. Will be more fitting for SSB too (characters here rarely talk).

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
Well, if you can make first part work (BTW, how exactly will it be done? SFM or something like that?), then more power to you...or something. But i don't really like the idea of him talking in somehing like this. I know that he can do it of course, but its better leave it out. Will be more fitting for SSB too (characters here rarely talk).
Okay, I understand. I'm pretty sure that the story I'm going for could be told the same without Ridley talking at all, anyway (though I would like to maybe sneak in one little line or something).

However, do you think you or somebody else could supply the in-game footage? For most of it, you could do whatever you want, but there might be one or two scenes that I'll suggest that fit into the story that the cinematic tells.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Okay, I understand. I'm pretty sure that the story I'm going for could be told the same without Ridley talking at all, anyway (though I would like to maybe sneak in one little line or something).

However, do you think you or somebody else could supply the in-game footage? For most of it, you could do whatever you want, but there might be one or two scenes that I'll suggest that fit into the story that the cinematic tells.
There should be someone. I certainly can't do this because im not using Wii and my PC isn't good enough for consistent frame rate. But its better to wait for a bit because i have enough new stuff for next update to make it outdated.

Speaking of that, i updated jumping and landing animations and made all of the ground animations properly go into new standing pose. For jumping animation, i decided to make my own based off Other M jump animation. Now he doesn't uses wings for ground jump, like in Other M and Metroid Prime 1. He still can jump very high, so, its not a nerf. Other than that, not much was done.

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
There should be someone. I certainly can't do this because im not using Wii and my PC isn't good enough for consistent frame rate. But its better to wait for a bit because i have enough new stuff for next update to make it outdated.

Speaking of that, i updated jumping and landing animations and made all of the ground animations properly go into new standing pose. For jumping animation, i decided to make my own based off Other M jump animation. Now he doesn't uses wings for ground jump, like in Other M and Metroid Prime 1. He still can jump very high, so, its not a nerf. Other than that, not much was done.
*Sits on a Couch playing Melee while waiting for the next update* This is literally what I am doing, I am hype for the next update though (^_^)

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So someone's already made a successful port of Ridley to Olimar, right? If so, is still currently impossible to port the sounds? How does that process work?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So someone's already made a successful port of Ridley to Olimar, right? If so, is still currently impossible to port the sounds? How does that process work?
It was done and it is possible to port sounds as long as you know who to use for that. PyortLuzhin just didn't do that for now at least.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Considering the poll has been up for very nearly a week, do you think the results are ready to be evaluated? Granted, the voting sample size is small, but presumably these opinions are comprised of the more dedicated and consistent users of this thread/project.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Considering the poll has been up for very nearly a week, do you think the results are ready to be evaluated? Granted, the voting sample size is small, but presumably these opinions are comprised of the more dedicated and consistent users of this thread/project.
I guess so. Its very small amount of users, but whad'ya gonna do. Shouldn't take any effort to do. And someone actually wasted the vote on Lanky Kong. Not that they were wrong.

Standing animation:

Should probably fix the tail here. Certainly looks better than before and it doesn't messes up animations. I didn't cared as much about possibility of tail clipping through stuff behind him because its unavoidable and guys like Mewtwo and Charizard already do it anyway. But new standing animations means new 2nd standing animation and i've got only 2 days before that usual thing about me disappearing and everything, so...yeah.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Sound porting is relatively complicated. Mostly involves changing the sfx values in the psa itself.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, soundbank codes pretty much say "use this character's sawnd instead of the orignal one". This would mean that you'd have Ridley's sawnd over pit's. If you wanted Ridley's over Olimar's you'd have to replace Olimar's with Ridley's in the sawnd and then change sfx values in the psa to match up with Olimar.

Unless technology has changed it so it's easier now.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Sound porting is relatively complicated. Mostly involves changing the sfx values in the psa itself.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, soundbank codes pretty much say "use this character's sawnd instead of the orignal one". This would mean that you'd have Ridley's sawnd over pit's. If you wanted Ridley's over Olimar's you'd have to replace Olimar's with Ridley's in the sawnd and then change sfx values in the psa to match up with Olimar.

Unless technology has changed it so it's easier now.
Yeah, that's pretty spot on still, with a few differences. My current plan is to just replace a boss soundbank or use PM's method and cannibalize the empty space in Pit's soundbank and then replace the sfx values in PSA. After that, I'd write some pretty simple gecko codes that would enable all of the relevant characters to use that soundbank. Honestly, the codes are the easy part to write, since they follow a template, and they'd make only one "FitRidley.pac" necessary. The Olimar, ROB, Jigglypuff and Lucas ports would all just be renamed versions of the same .Pac, just with different codes.

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp

@ LOL DUDE LOL DUDE

If anyone wants, I could provide footage. I can run Dolphin at 60 FPS 90% of the time, so if you would like for me to record gameplay, just tell me the details of what exactly I need to record (stages, moves, alt skins, etc.).

BrewElfinLagann

Smash Rookie
I've come to notice something while testing Ridley's combo abilities.
Using his side special on the ground, then following it up with a crouch tilt, it always lands.
More noticeably, it reliably does 30% damage on all characters.
I don't know if that's something natural for PM or something, but can characters tech out of that?
It is awfully strong and inescapable one grabbed, but I may be testing things wrong

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
I've come to notice something while testing Ridley's combo abilities.
Using his side special on the ground, then following it up with a crouch tilt, it always lands.
More noticeably, it reliably does 30% damage on all characters.
I don't know if that's something natural for PM or something, but can characters tech out of that?
It is awfully strong and inescapable one grabbed, but I may be testing things wrong
You can tech out of sideB, you can actually tech it at two different times, as soon as Ridley throws you to the ground, or after you bounced once. If you tech away as soon as possible, you escape the down tilt, but you're vulnerable to downB, dash attack and sometimes fsmash.

BrewElfinLagann

Smash Rookie
You can tech out of sideB, you can actually tech it at two different times, as soon as Ridley throws you to the ground, or after you bounced once. If you tech away as soon as possible, you escape the down tilt, but you're vulnerable to downB, dash attack and sometimes fsmash.
Ahh okay, thank you

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet

I finished Page 2 of the storyboard.

Are you liking it so far Bagan (I made sure to not have Ridley talk through the whole thing like I was originally thinking)?
Again, sorry for the bad drawing, I half-assed it.

Also, out of curiosity, do you have a preference of which version of Ridley's theme would be used (there'd only be one or two other tracks, and I can handle those)?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's pretty spot on still, with a few differences. My current plan is to just replace a boss soundbank or use PM's method and cannibalize the empty space in Pit's soundbank and then replace the sfx values in PSA. After that, I'd write some pretty simple gecko codes that would enable all of the relevant characters to use that soundbank. Honestly, the codes are the easy part to write, since they follow a template, and they'd make only one "FitRidley.pac" necessary. The Olimar, ROB, Jigglypuff and Lucas ports would all just be renamed versions of the same .Pac, just with different codes.
I think its better to go with PM's current method. Probably will be able to avoid that metal box bug too.
@ LOL DUDE LOL DUDE

If anyone wants, I could provide footage. I can run Dolphin at 60 FPS 90% of the time, so if you would like for me to record gameplay, just tell me the details of what exactly I need to record (stages, moves, alt skins, etc.).
Very well then. Don't know what exactly should be shown, so, go to LOL DUDE for that.
I finished Page 2 of the storyboard.

Are you liking it so far Bagan (I made sure to not have Ridley talk through the whole thing like I was originally thinking)?
Again, sorry for the bad drawing, I half-***** it.

Also, out of curiosity, do you have a preference of which version of Ridley's theme would be used (there'd only be one or two other tracks, and I can handle those)?
Yes, i do. And as long as i can understand what is where, its fine.

Dragonfood by OC Remixes. It also was present in one of PM's April Fools video, along with the usual fake challenger approaching image at the end.

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
@ LOL DUDE LOL DUDE

There are only two scenes that I'll specify, which you'll see at the end of the storyboard I'm drawing up. Otherwise, you can do whatever you want on any stage (conditions (for the sake of the specified scenes): nothing involving Samus or Zero Suit Samus and nothing on Frigate Orpheon). Move showcasing, combos, random shenanigans, just think like you're making a SSB4 trailer, like so:

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
I think its better to go with PM's current method. Probably will be able to avoid that metal box bug too.

Very well then. Don't know what exactly should be shown, so, go to LOL DUDE for that.

Yes, i do. And as long as i can understand what is where, its fine.

Dragonfood by OC Remixes. It also was present in one of PM's April Fools video, along with the usual fake challenger approaching image at the end.
Done with Page 3. Panel 36 marks the end of the cinematic.

Next is just going to be a few storyboards for the two specific scenes I'll be requesting out of the gameplay reel, then... maybe one other thing.

Edit: Do you mind Ridley talking in panels 35 and 36, Bagan? I understand that you didn't want him talking to be a major thing, but I really wanted to slip in just one line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom