• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So when do you plan to release the next version?
I don't know. Right now, im waiting for response from testers on questions about some changes like Neutral B animation and aerial Side B throw animation. I also have to properly rig Meta Ridley, but i just can't get my hands on that since...i don't even know when. I can do this now, but getting motivation is the problem.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros My experience with Ridley and how great of a character he is stopped when stopped playing PM. The reason for this matter is because of Classic and All Star mode crashed so, when this update comes rolling around, Maybe I'll stop playing Brawl (and Melee) and give it a shot. For some reason, I can't play PM normally like before but having the mod makes it fun so, do you best and try to have the mod be as balanced as possible!

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how, but I think I installed the latest Ridley update wrong. Instead of being able to play as Ridley in PM 3.6, it reverted back to the 3.6 beta with no Ridley! I probably just copied over the wrong files or something.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't know how, but I think I installed the latest Ridley update wrong. Instead of being able to play as Ridley in PM 3.6, it reverted back to the 3.6 beta with no Ridley! I probably just copied over the wrong files or something.
Thats not surprising at all. Latest update was made for 3.6 beta and had few modified 3.6 beta files to make installation so ridicolously easy. So, if its used on full 3.6, then it reverts several things back to their beta state. This means that you should wait for next update.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I mean, which characters have a chance of beating your Ridley
Oh. Well, technically, everyone can. But some of the best characters for this so far are Jigglypuff (thats at least what some of the testers said) and Samus (Ridley is too big and too slow to avoid projectiles and he has no reflector now)...as far as i know. I guess spacies (just because they are that good) and Sheik (too fast) also can beat him pretty easily. Mario's cape should make any attempt to recover rather pointless because Ridley's recovery specials are more focused on horizontal recovery than vertical one (so, reversing him might bring Ridley even further away from the stage), but Ridley still needs to be launched for that.
BUT im not a real tournament player, so, can't be sure.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Oh. Well, technically, everyone can. But some of the best characters for this so far are Jigglypuff (thats at least what some of the testers said) and Samus (Ridley is too big and too slow to avoid projectiles and he has no reflector now)...as far as i know. I guess spacies (just because they are that good) and Sheik (too fast) also can beat him pretty easily. Mario's cape should make any attempt to recover rather pointless because Ridley's recovery specials are more focused on horizontal recovery than vertical one (so, reversing him might bring Ridley even further away from the stage), but Ridley still needs to be launched for that.
BUT im not a real tournament player, so, can't be sure.
Anything new come up with your testers about changes that need to be done to Ridley? Any new alts yet? Anything at all?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Anything new come up with your testers about changes that need to be done to Ridley? Any new alts yet? Anything at all?
Well, i asked few questions on that and probably should list some of them here:
  1. Victory animation. Kinda out of ideas for this one.
  2. Should i update animations for Neutral B? And if so, should they be faster or not?
  3. Should forward shield roll's animation be updated?
  4. Should i replace Aerial Side B's animation and GFX (short burts of fire instead of fireball) on succesful grab?
Outside of limiting for how long Ridley can move while using aerial Side B and replacing jump animation, nothing was really done. No new alts and i still haven't properly rigged Meta Ridley (really can't get my hands on that). But i know that i need to update frame data and stuff on shield rolls, spot dodge and aerial dodge and there is a possibility that shadow model will be replaced with more fitting one. I requested it on KC-MM and got 2 users accepting the request. Hopefully, it will be done.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Well, i asked few questions on that and probably should list some of them here:
  1. Victory animation. Kinda out of ideas for this one.
  2. Should i update animations for Neutral B? And if so, should they be faster or not?
  3. Should forward shield roll's animation be updated?
  4. Should i replace Aerial Side B's animation and GFX (short burts of fire instead of fireball) on succesful grab?
Outside of limiting for how long Ridley can move while using aerial Side B and replacing jump animation, nothing was really done. No new alts and i still haven't properly rigged Meta Ridley (really can't get my hands on that). But i know that i need to update frame data and stuff on shield rolls, spot dodge and aerial dodge and there is a possibility that shadow model will be replaced with more fitting one. I requested it on KC-MM and got 2 users accepting the request. Hopefully, it will be done.
I'll give you some of my input, if it helps.

1. I'm unsure about the victory animations, you should ask someone else about that.

2. About Ridley's Neutral B, I think it should be slowed down, not too much but just enough so it isn't as fast as it is now. The animation seems fine to me but I think you should ask someone more experienced on the fluidity of the animations and such (like someone on the PMDT), I'm still a noob to animating and can't seem to animate anything yet, I need a teacher, tutorials online aren't really helping me.

3. Forward roll's animation seems fine, but that's mainly because I don't know what other animation would fit Ridley for a roll.

4. As for the Side-B, I think the singular fireball works best.

Some more of my own input:
I also feel Ridley needs some updated swimming animations I was just playing on Isle Delfino with Ridley and its awkward for him to swim considering he's moving while being stiff in the water.

Ridley also really needs his shield shuffling animations, especially due to how large he is and how he leaves himself open making him more prone to shield poking, another reason is because it feels odd he's the only one (besides Yoshi, but it makes sense why Yoshi doesn't have one) with out a shield shuffle.

Ridley also needs his new running animation, the animation he currently has still isn't suitable as a run. Seems more fitting as a slow walk and seems more menacing as such. Not to mention the dashing animation he has currently doesn't flow to the running animation he has which makes it look even more awkward.

As for alts take your time, they're not that important, Ridley's balance and animations are more important (But if you are working on alts soon I'm really hoping you are going to work on that Brawl Model alt along with Meta Ridley, and I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, probably aggravating to constantly read about that).

This is some of my personal input, I really hope it helps.

Last edited:

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
this is probably the worst idea for a winning animation but what if he walked in from the right then looked at the camera and screamed like before the fight in other m

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'll give you some of my input, if it helps.

1. I'm unsure about the victory animations, you should ask someone else about that.

2. About Ridley's Neutral B, I think it should be slowed down, not too much but just enough so it isn't as fast as it is now. The animation seems fine to me but I think you should ask someone more experienced on the fluidity of the animations and such (like someone on the PMDT), I'm still a noob to animating and can't seem to animate anything yet, I need a teacher, tutorials online aren't really helping me.

3. Forward roll's animation seems fine, but that's mainly because I don't know what other animation would fit Ridley for a roll.

4. As for the Side-B, I think the singular fireball works best.

Some more of my own input:
I also feel Ridley needs some updated swimming animations I was just playing on Isle Delfino with Ridley and its awkward for him to swim considering he's moving while being stiff in the water.

Ridley also really needs his shield shuffling animations, especially due to how large he is and how he leaves himself open making him more prone to shield poking, another reason is because it feels odd he's the only one (besides Yoshi, but it makes sense why Yoshi doesn't have one) with out a shield shuffle.

Ridley also needs his new running animation, the animation he currently has still isn't suitable as a run. Seems more fitting as a slow walk and seems more menacing as such. Not to mention the dashing animation he has currently doesn't flow to the running animation he has which makes it look even more awkward.

As for alts take your time, they're not that important, Ridley's balance and animations are more important (But if you are working on alts soon I'm really hoping you are going to work on that Brawl Model alt along with Meta Ridley, and I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, probably aggravating to constantly read about that).

This is some of my personal input, I really hope it helps.
2. Slowing it down certainly is not a good idea since its already slow and not that powerful either.

Not sure what you mean by that...Its same as Ganondorf's (was kinda lazy).

Im not sure i can do this without having to remake the pose. It doesn't allows this thing to be done easily.

Done.

Nah, its fine.
Hey @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros I just wanted to say that i really love the new alternate model. It reminds me of how ridley looked in Metroid: Zero Mission.
http://imgur.com/HQnLKXU
...um...
...keikaku dori?
I really want a new version so i can play it on full 3.6
Be patient and please understand.
this is probably the worst idea for a winning animation but what if he walked in from the right then looked at the camera and screamed like before the fight in other m
Camera's position and angle is always random (it either starts far from characters and zooms in, keeps itself close while changing angles or...one other version that i don't remember), so, i don't think it will look nice.

I've got a short video done that shows some of the changes for next version, but i have to reduce its size first and then upload it, so, its gonna take a while.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Bagan, what ever you do, please try not to change Ridley's run animation. Its balance. There is nothing wrong with it. I play with Ridley all the time. He's pretty powerful. He doesn't need to be faster.

About Neutral B, Ridley shouting out slow fire balls would be badass and has debt haha Its still up to you though.

Did you ever consider the possibility of updating Ridley's Neutral B to where he can charge the fire ball like Samus's Neutral B? I understand the reason why you may have ignored it. Ridley with that type of neutral B would be too badass.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
2. Slowing it down certainly is not a good idea since its already slow and not that powerful either.

Not sure what you mean by that...Its same as Ganondorf's (was kinda lazy).

Im not sure i can do this without having to remake the pose. It doesn't allows this thing to be done easily.

Done.

Nah, its fine.
Well, what I mean by the swimming animation being awkward and stiff is when he moves in the water he doesn't.......swim...he just does the animation as if he's floating in place instead of swimming forward. The swimming in place animation itself is okay, but it would look a little better if his wings were animated while he was swimming like charizard's instead being completely stiff.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bagan, what ever you do, please try not to change Ridley's run animation. Its balance. There is nothing wrong with it. I play with Ridley all the time. He's pretty powerful. He doesn't need to be faster.

About Neutral B, Ridley shouting out slow fire balls would be badass and has debt haha Its still up to you though.

Did you ever consider the possibility of updating Ridley's Neutral B to where he can charge the fire ball like Samus's Neutral B? I understand the reason why you may have ignored it. Ridley with that type of neutral B would be too badass.
He won't get faster with new animation unless i change his attributes. Running (and walking) animations are adapted to what is set in the attributes, so...you know...Either way, i'll have to replace that animation at some point because i don't have enough patience to change all rotation values for over 15 bones in each frame and there are 60 of those when i'll have to fix thrown animations.

That would make it rather unfair for guys like Bowser (Bowser can spot dodge or roll when fast projectile are getting too close while keeping distance between each other, but he can't do same with many slow projectiles close to each other, so, it could make it possible to just spam those fireballs and create unavoidable wall of fire). Slow projectiles is more fitting for trapper kind of character (Emperor Mateus' Flare attack in Dissidia is a good example...but its a 3d game, so, its not as effective as it would be in something like SSB).

Actually, i had this in mind since day 1. Its seen on first moveset showcase video, back when he still was over Lucario. But unfortunately, its not possible while he is over Pit. He can charge his projectiles, but they can't be changed in appearance or anything outside of damage. BUUUUT if i'll discover any way to add it, i'll do it.
Well, what I mean by the swimming animation being awkward and stiff is when he moves in the water he doesn't.......swim...he just does the animation as if he's floating in place instead of swimming forward. The swimming in place animation itself is okay, but it would look a little better if his wings were animated while he was swimming like charizard's instead being completely stiff.
Oh. Makes sense. I guess i can do this then. Wings should probably remain folded though.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So what's in the works, Bagan? You had to drop off the face of the earth for a little bit, which is normal and totally alright, but when you came back I was expecting some pretty pictures. I need my fix, man.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So what's in the works, Bagan? You had to drop off the face of the earth for a little bit, which is normal and totally alright, but when you came back I was expecting some pretty pictures. I need my fix, man.
Outside of what i already mentioned, nothing. Oh, and now Ridley's UThrow can KO as early as Mewtwo or Charizard's, so, there is a reason to use it instead of FThrow or DThrow.
...yeah, 7 days before school certainly don't help.
...I guess this can be just a very minor thing i did for extra recolors:

Model is wrong one, but whatevs. It still shows what its supposed to be.

...i had free time.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Outside of what i already mentioned, nothing. Oh, and now Ridley's UThrow can KO as early as Mewtwo or Charizard's, so, there is a reason to use it instead of FThrow or DThrow.
...yeah, 7 days before school certainly don't help.
...I guess this can be just a very minor thing i did for extra recolors:

Model is wrong one, but whatevs. It still shows what its supposed to be.

...i had free time.
If Ridley ever got a "clear movie" Wario Chasing Golden Ridley has to be included... wait this gave me an idea for an event match.....

"Money Match"
Character: Wario
Opponent: Ridley w/h the metal box (in whatever costume will get the gold metal)
Objective: That Dragon could be worth MILLIONS! Defeat it and become the millionaire you were always meant to be!
Rules: 1-stock and a 3-4 min. time limit on the new wario land stage.
Catch: You start at about 50%

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If Ridley ever got a "clear movie" Wario Chasing Golden Ridley has to be included... wait this gave me an idea for an event match.....

"Money Match"
Character: Wario
Opponent: Ridley w/h the metal box (in whatever costume will get the gold metal)
Objective: That Dragon could be worth MILLIONS! Defeat it and become the millionaire you were always meant to be!
Rules: 1-stock and a 3-4 min. time limit on the new wario land stage.
Catch: You start at about 50%
That can be done. I don't get the 50% part though.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
That can be done. I don't get the 50% part though.
You, the player, as Wario, have to beat it while at 50% from the start (while Ridley starts at 0% like normal). Knowing how powefull a smart Ridley could be (proper spacing=death to all), being at 50% helps Ridley get earlier KO's.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Victory animation. Kinda out of ideas for this one.
The only thing I can think of is having his victory animation start with Ridley being nowhere on screen. Suddenly, Ridley's glowing eyes appear/open up in midair. Ridley's entire body then materializes out of thin air, like a chameleon/Predator unveiling his disguise. Ridley then roars, lifting his head and shouting at the sky.

This victory animation is based on his intros seen in Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 3 Norion boss battles. I think a nice retro touch you could give to this victory pose is by putting his Super Metroid scream when he roars at the end of the animation, or perhaps a reworked/updated version of that same scream.

Should forward shield roll's animation be updated?
I honestly cannot remember what his current forward shield roll animation looks like, but what if you made him get on all fours and do a single pounce to get behind his opponent (circling around the enemy), similar to how Omega Ridley dodges sideways whenever Samus uses her Screw Attack. If this suggestion is actually his current roll (which i cannot remember), then kindly ignore this paragraph :p
Should i replace Aerial Side B's animation and GFX (short burts of fire instead of fireball) on succesful grab?
I think you should keep the fireball. A single projectile that launches the opponent out of his hand is visually more appealing than a stream of fire making Ridley lose his grasp. I know that Ridley in Other M would finish his grab attack with a stream of flames, but it always looked unimpressive imo.

Or, if you really want to change the animation for whatever reason, you could make it similar to his Zero Mission grab, in which he holds the opponent while quickly shooting several small fireballs, and you finish his animation by having him throw his opponent below, just like his Ground Side B.
What I'm most anxious for is his Fireball reflect glitch being removed. Currently, that glitch shakes me out of the ''legit'' feel of the character. Once that's out of the way, he will be, in my eyes at least, complete.

I dont know if this is another glitch caused by the mod, or if its a common glitch shared by characters in the beta 3.6 Project M, but Ivysaur shakes uncontrollably whenever I grab him with Ridley. However, I vaguely remember other characters making Ivysaur shake, but can't confirm.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The only thing I can think of is having his victory animation start with Ridley being nowhere on screen. Suddenly, Ridley's glowing eyes appear/open up in midair. Ridley's entire body then materializes out of thin air, like a chameleon/Predator unveiling his disguise. Ridley then roars, lifting his head and shouting at the sky.

This victory animation is based on his intros seen in Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 3 Norion boss battles. I think a nice retro touch you could give to this victory pose is by putting his Super Metroid scream when he roars at the end of the animation, or perhaps a reworked/updated version of that same scream.
That could work except he would have to be completly black (except for the eyes) rather than invisible (like in MP3). SSB can't do this without having to use separate model. I have pose for that ready just in case (seen on image above).
I honestly cannot remember what his current forward shield roll animation looks like, but what if you made him get on all fours and do a single pounce to get behind his opponent (circling around the enemy), similar to how Omega Ridley dodges sideways whenever Samus uses her Screw Attack. If this suggestion is actually his current roll (which i cannot remember), then kindly ignore this paragraph :p
He dashes forward then uses his left arm to turn around quickly. But this idea could work. Its something he did in Metroid games, so, its even better.
I think you should keep the fireball. A single projectile that launches the opponent out of his hand is visually more appealing than a stream of fire making Ridley lose his grasp. I know that Ridley in Other M would finish his grab attack with a stream of flames, but it always looked unimpressive imo.
Or, if you really want to change the animation for whatever reason, you could make it similar to his Zero Mission grab, in which he holds the opponent while quickly shooting several small fireballs, and you finish his animation by having him throw his opponent below, just like his Ground Side B.
Makes sense. And this sounds like a good idea. Will be easier to limit amount of time during which he is allowed to move.
What I'm most anxious for is his Fireball reflect glitch being removed. Currently, that glitch shakes me out of the ''legit'' feel of the character. Once that's out of the way, he will be, in my eyes at least, complete.
That was fixed. It was caused by fireball detecting reflector as part of the enviroment, so, i set it to explode only upon touching the walls and floor.
I dont know if this is another glitch caused by the mod, or if its a common glitch shared by characters in the beta 3.6 Project M, but Ivysaur shakes uncontrollably whenever I grab him with Ridley. However, I vaguely remember other characters making Ivysaur shake, but can't confirm.
I think its just PM. He has nothing special in his grab that would cause it to happen.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
That could work except he would have to be completly black (except for the eyes) rather than invisible (like in MP3). SSB can't do this without having to use separate model.
If making Ridley completely black at first and then changing to his standard color is the only way you can simulate his ''chameleon'' intros, then please make this happen! It actually makes more sense for Ridley to simply be able to darken his scales than actually turn completely invisible.

That was fixed. It was caused by fireball detecting reflector as part of the enviroment, so, i set it to explode only upon touching the walls and floor.
Is this fix already available for download? Or you're waiting to release this fix whenever you're done with everything else (such as Meta Ridley outfit)?

I've noticed some people are debating on whether or not Ridley's run animation should remain as it currently is, or if it should change to a new one similar to Charizard/Mewtwo/MetaKnight's running. I personally think it needs to remain as is. The reasons why:

1. Something that's as big as Ridley in Smash Bros should not be able to run/dash at the same speed as the ones mentioned above. Even if you were to reduce the speed of his new dash animation (as in, flying-across-the-floor dash) to prevent him from being as fast as the others, it would look unnatural and unfitting. Look at the video below starting at 23 seconds for an example of how weird a slow flying dash would seem like:
Ridley's main strength is his aerial combat, and his current running-on-all-fours dash accentuates on how differently he operates on land.

2. In all 3D games, Ridley is sluggish on the ground. Prime 1 Meta Ridley's mobility is highly reduced when you burn off his wings, and Omega Ridley from Prime 3 doesn't move incredibly fast when on land, and when Samus is far from him, he sometimes slowly ''runs'' across the floor in the same manner as his Other M run. The only attacks that allowed Ridley to gain crazy-speed when on ground are all present in your mod, such as the Prime 1 and 3 tackle (Ground Down B) and Other M quick grab (Ground Side B). As for his 2D battles, he never had much of a ground phase.

3. Visually, his current running animation is quite intimidating, something that a simple flying dash animation would have a hard time achieving. The only way to make the current animation more fearsome is if you made him run like an animal or something.
http://nd06.jxs.cz/168/165/024b57464a_92222026_o2.gif
If you decide to that, then his Other M run could be moved down as a quick-walk animation instead.

Good luck on any future progress you make BaganSmashBros!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is this fix already available for download? Or you're waiting to release this fix whenever you're done with everything else (such as Meta Ridley outfit)?
I'll release it along with everything else.
I've noticed some people are debating on whether or not Ridley's run animation should remain as it currently is, or if it should change to a new one similar to Charizard/Mewtwo/MetaKnight's running. I personally think it needs to remain as is. The reasons why:

1. Something that's as big as Ridley in Smash Bros should not be able to run/dash at the same speed as the ones mentioned above. Even if you were to reduce the speed of his new dash animation (as in, flying-across-the-floor dash) to prevent him from being as fast as the others, it would look unnatural and unfitting. Look at the video below starting at 23 seconds for an example of how weird a slow flying dash would seem like:
Ridley's main strength is his aerial combat, and his current running-on-all-fours dash accentuates on how differently he operates on land.

2. In all 3D games, Ridley is sluggish on the ground. Prime 1 Meta Ridley's mobility is highly reduced when you burn off his wings, and Omega Ridley from Prime 3 doesn't move incredibly fast when on land, and when Samus is far from him, he sometimes slowly ''runs'' across the floor in the same manner as his Other M run. The only attacks that allowed Ridley to gain crazy-speed when on ground are all present in your mod, such as the Prime 1 and 3 tackle (Ground Down B) and Other M quick grab (Ground Side B). As for his 2D battles, he never had much of a ground phase.

3. Visually, his current running animation is quite intimidating, something that a simple flying dash animation would have a hard time achieving. The only way to make the current animation more fearsome is if you made him run like an animal or something.
http://nd06.jxs.cz/168/165/024b57464a_92222026_o2.gif
If you decide to that, then his Other M run could be moved down as a quick-walk animation instead.

Good luck on any future progress you make BaganSmashBros!
Points taken. Will be really annoying to fix it when i'll be fixing thrown animations though. And making that animation more like what is on the gif is not possible when Ridley's arms are so long. But i'll use it to make proper dash animation.
So what happened to that video that you were uploading?
I was preparing to upload it, but i still haven't found a way to reduce its file size. And its getting outdated soon anyway.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
I'll release it along with everything else.

Points taken. Will be really annoying to fix it when i'll be fixing thrown animations though. And making that animation more like what is on the gif is not possible when Ridley's arms are so long. But i'll use it to make proper dash animation.

I was preparing to upload it, but i still haven't found a way to reduce its file size. And its getting outdated soon anyway.
Outdated? How so?

GreatLordFawful

Smash Rookie
um, i would like to report a bug, not sure if someone already talked about this, but here we go. so, as i was playing with this, i decided to do classic mode, then during the "Team ____" battle (against Ness if that has anything to do with this) as soon as i attacked (forward smash incase its that) actually as soon as the attack hit, the game crashed, i have no idea what caused it or if it was just a random freeze. i assumed it was Ridley, but idk. just decided to let you know (btw this was in Project M 3.6, so it couldnt have been the wrong mod/version)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ah I see, will you be planning a anything before you go back to school?
Not sure.
um, i would like to report a bug, not sure if someone already talked about this, but here we go. so, as i was playing with this, i decided to do classic mode, then during the "Team ____" battle (against Ness if that has anything to do with this) as soon as i attacked (forward smash incase its that) actually as soon as the attack hit, the game crashed, i have no idea what caused it or if it was just a random freeze. i assumed it was Ridley, but idk. just decided to let you know (btw this was in Project M 3.6, so it couldnt have been the wrong mod/version)
That might be one of the random crashes (not sure why they even happen). Those kind of glitches, unless they always happen, is not something i can fix.

GreatLordFawful

Smash Rookie
idk, it was the first time its happened, which also happens to be the 1st time ive used the mod in classic so i had reason to assume its a Ridley glitch, but it probably is a random crash as you said, thanks for replying anyways

Top Bottom