• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular opinion: Yoshi is not high tier. Evidence inside.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I know this isn't going to be a particularly popular opinion, but I will present my evidence and reasoning and allow you to make up your own minds after that.

In Smash 4 Yoshi is largely considered at a high tier character by most players, usually sitting in at least A tier in most tier lists. While he is certainly better than he has been in previous Smash games, but this doesn't magically make him high tier.

The belief that he is high tier is based around the number crunchers who have pulled out his frame data and other values like his air speed, and his ranking is centred around his potential from these numbers, rather than his actual results.

And the crux of the matter is, 8+ months into the game's release and we still don't see any meaningful tournament results from Yoshi, and it's not from a lack of players trying to make him work.

Let's look at tournament results. Mr. Doom's equal 7th place at Combo Breaker was the first time we saw a Yoshi make the top 16 in a major tournament. Just think about that for a moment - it took 6 months for a supposedly high tier character to crack the *TOP 16* in a major tournament. Considering we've seen characters like Pac-Man, Mario, Duck Hunt Duo, R.O.B., Ness, Greninja, Olimar and even Samus, Little Mac and Mii Brawler all make top 16's before this point, that says something. Even Donkey Kong and Palutena have been getting good results in customs tournaments. And of course, other "high tier" characters - Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, Rosalina, Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, Luigi - consistently and reliably place well. Since that Combo Breaker result, we still haven't seen anything from Yoshi players - no Yoshis in the top 16 at CEO, no Yoshis in even the top 32 at Evo (and there were two Wii Fit Trainers in that Evo top 32). Yoshi can't even place reasonably highly in smaller weeklies like Xanadu and Shockwave.

If Yoshi is so high tier, why aren't more pro players using him? Why aren't we seeing the tournament placings that reflect his supposedly high tier?

Certainly at low levels, it can be easy to see why Yoshi can be perceived as strong. He's deceptively quick, has strong attacks, and has little end lag on many of his moves. But it seems these strengths can be overcome at high levels and his weaknesses are exposed much more easily. He definitely has many strengths, but he also has some pretty glaring weaknesses.

His biggest weakness, as I see it, and the one that I think is ultimately holding him back from being high tier, is his lack of kill setups. If you look at his moves on paper, he has plenty of kill options - forward smash, up smash, up air, forward air (spike), down b, possibly even back air or neutral air or the back hit of down smash if used near the blast zone. But, he's got no true combos into those kill moves at kill percentages - so the reality is, he actually has a VERY hard time killing. Let me elaborate.

His grab is terrible to start with...it's slow with massive end lag if it misses, and his pivot grab is actually even worse because he plays a silly little animation when his tongue goes back in his mouth. It has shorter range than other tether grabs and is the only tether grab in the game that can not be used as an additional attack and/or recovery option. Once he has you in a grab his throws are abysmal. Forward throw and back throw don't KO at any meaningful percent (between 250-300% from the edge without rage), and down throw and up throw don't true combo into anything even at 0% (if you manage to land anything after a down or up throw, your opponent didn't DI or air dodge properly). He's got no kill throw and no kill setups off his throws at any percentage. His most damaging throw does 7%; hardly worth it for the risk of a whiffed grab. His command grab is decent but the opponent can control the direction the egg goes, can control the speed they break out, and take half damage when inside it.

In reality there's little real reason to fear shielding against Yoshi...his down air is his scariest move in this regard but even this can be entirely shielded without the shield breaking, as can his down b, and both of them are extremely punishable on shield. In fact you don't even need to shield his down b half the time, because the move has absolutely no armour or priority on it so he can be hit out of it by pretty much any well timed up smash, up air or other move that hits above them. His side b is the same story - any move with knockback on it (so pretty much anything aside from Fox's lasers) will knock him out of the move, and the move itself is pretty bad. Most of the time you do this move, it'll be by accident when you intended to use a forward directed up b instead...not good when you end up rolling off the ledge, or when you are trying to recover. That segues into the next point of his recovery.

Yoshi's double jump *needs* armour on it due to the fact he has no real recovery move, but it needs to be noted that it has heavy armour, not super armour, so he can in fact still be knocked out of it by a strong enough attack (and can actually be footstooled out of it too). If he's caught off stage without his double jump, or if he's stuck under the stage, he's gone for.

It's also a falicy that most of his moves are safe on shield...the reality is, most of them aren't. Down b, fair, bair, dair, dash attack, fsmash, upsmash and dsmash are all unsafe on shield.

Lastly it's been proven that Yoshi's shield is activated and deactivated slower than everyone else's, due to the animation he plays of turning in to or out of an egg. This means he cannot shield on reaction quite as quickly as pretty much everyone else, and also only really has his neutral air as an out of shield option. His rolls are also close to the slowest in the game with massive end lag on them, and while it's true that rolls should be used sparingly, this still needs to be taken into account. He's just not as good at dodging stuff as other characters are.

Ultimately though it's his lack of kill setups that are hurting him the most. Yoshi works best if the opponent is approaching him, but if the opponent plays smart and doesn't directly approach him, he really struggles to bring them to him and get KO's. His eggs are a great move but are not a reliable tool to force the opponent to approach. Jab 1 to up smash is possibly his best KO option but even that isn't a true combo. He can try to bait air dodges by throwing eggs to follow up with an up or forward air but smart opponents won't air dodge. Fair into the stage to up air can work but can be teched. All of his smash attacks can also miss completely if the opponent is too close to him.

TL;DR

Right now, the evidence just isn't there to support the common belief that Yoshi is a high tier character. He has real issues actually obtaining KO's as he has almost no genuine kill setups, and his lack of tournament results supports this. You can throw out as many raw numbers as you want, saying he has awesome frame data and high air speed and so on, but in my opinion, we need to stop rating characters like Yoshi on purely potential based on these numbers, and start actually looking at how the package comes together as a whole and what results he's achieving. I'm not saying he doesn't have strengths...he most certainly does have plenty of strengths that make him worth playing, However, the fact remains that after 8+ months we're still not seeing any success at high level with Yoshi and there is no evidence to support his usually top-10 spot on the tier lists.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Lack of kill setups just makes him harder to use. Plenty of top players use characyers with lack of kill set ups and do good.

I think Yoshi is mid or low tier as of now but I think hes good enough to be top tier. Reminder he cant really be comboed.

Fair nair and up air are safe on sheild if you know how to space good (which isnt really hard).

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Lack of kill setups just makes him harder to use. Plenty of top players use characyers with lack of kill set ups and do good.

I think Yoshi is mid or low tier as of now but I think hes good enough to be top tier. Reminder he cant really be comboed.

Fair nair and up air are safe on sheild if you know how to space good (which isnt really hard).

His double jump doesnt need armor as most yoshis would rather jump airdodge or use eggs.

Edit:oops I ment to add this to my other thread and not reply to it.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Yoshi is strong. He has safe moves, a good projectile, and incredible air mobility. His buttons are all so good. His grab stinks and that really hurts in Smash 4, plus he gets little to nothing off of grabs, unlike ZSS. His neutral is good, but not dominating. He hits hard and fast and lives a long time, but he doesn't dominate like top tiers do. None of his tools are amazing, nor are his matchups. A good character, not top tier, maybe high tier, maybe not. Focus on matchups and not tier position though. Yoshi's viability is unquestionable.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
ioshi is strong. He has safe moves, a good projectile, and incredible air mobility. His buttons are all so good. His grab stinks and that really hurts in Smash 4, plus he gets little to nothing off of grabs, unlike ZSS. His neutral is good, but not dominating. He hits hard and fast and lives a long time, but he doesn't dominate like top tiers do. None of his tools are amazing, nor are his matchups. A good character, not top tier, maybe high tier, maybe not. Focus on matchups and not tier position though. Yoshi's viability is unquestionable.
But he really dosnt lack anything but grabs and throws imo. Hes literally perfect and all top tiers have there weaknesses. He has properties in smash that are just so amazing. Frame 1 hard armor that can stop like every combo. Amazing b reversals. High air speed. Really strange mechanics. Really amazing aerials. And also hes too fast for his heavy weight. He cant be heavly combo'd like all the other heavy weights.

Those are just some of the reasons I think hes potentially top tier. ZeRo would agree!

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Those are just some of the reasons I think hes potentially top tier. ZeRo would agree!
My argument here is that we should stop basing his tier position off "potential", and start basing it on actual evidence. There are no tournament results to back up the claims that he's top tier. The evidence just isn't there to support them.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
My argument here is that we should stop basing his tier position off "potential", and start basing it on actual evidence. There are no tournament results to back up the claims that he's top tier. The evidence just isn't there to support them.
I know. Thats why I said Imo based off evidence yoshi is low or mid tier. Then I just brought up that I think yoshi is top tier potentially which kinda goes with part of the topic.

Its kinda sad tbh. I think melee Yoshi is better then smash 4 yoshi based off evidence xD

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
But he really dosnt lack anything but grabs and throws imo. Hes literally perfect and all top tiers have there weaknesses. He has properties in smash that are just so amazing. Frame 1 hard armor that can stop like every combo. Amazing b reversals. High air speed. Really strange mechanics. Really amazing aerials. And also hes too fast for his heavy weight. He cant be heavly combo'd like all the other heavy weights.

I mean, not having grabs and throws is PRETTY significant in the Smash 4 meta. He at least has the threat of his command grab to beat shields, but most of the time the opponent doesn't worry about shielding against Yoshi. That matters. His character attributes are very good, though. Heavy, strong, and fast? Pretty friggin good. Not top tier though. His advantaged state isn't good enough to warrant his lack of grab.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Lastly it's been proven that Yoshi's shield is activated and deactivated slower than everyone else's, due to the animation he plays of turning in to or out of an egg.
Actually not true. His shield startup and drop are actually the same as other characters. The animation is misleading though. In fact everyone else's shield graphics comes out on frame 2 despite it being frame 1.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I mean, not having grabs and throws is PRETTY significant in the Smash 4 meta. He at least has the threat of his command grab to beat shields, but most of the time the opponent doesn't worry about shielding against Yoshi. That matters. His character attributes are very good, though. Heavy, strong, and fast? Pretty friggin good. Not top tier though. His advantaged state isn't good enough to warrant his lack of grab.
Well Fox Is considerd top tier by alot of people. His grabs kinda suck and at least Yoshi can do some serious follow ups from them with reads. Yoshis neutral B is kinda hard to react to when B reversaled and can do up to like 20% and be followed up after they break free. I don't think grabs have anything to do with stoping him. I think thats what's stoping him. Evidence wise the op is kinda right (in most parts but not all). I feel like people don't want to pick him up and learn him because of those reasons.

Also I didnt know Yoshis sheild was that good. His sheild feels alot more tough for some reason and has strange glitches. His sheild was always one of the best in melee with the only flaw of jumping out of sheild.

Last edited:

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Reminder that tournament results aren't the sole factor in determining tier lists (there, uh, really aren't any *official* criteria). A lot of characters considered "top tier" really have only one dedicated top player; take out Dabuz and Nairo, and suddenly Rosalina and ZSS have about about as many results as Yoshi. On the flipside, Captain Falcon has more results overall than nearly everyone else, but most people would agree that while a good character, he's not top 3 like his results would indicate.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Reminder that tournament results aren't the sole factor in determining tier lists (there, uh, really aren't any *official* criteria). A lot of characters considered "top tier" really have only one dedicated top player; take out Dabuz and Nairo, and suddenly Rosalina and ZSS have about about as many results as Yoshi. On the flipside, Captain Falcon has more results overall than nearly everyone else, but most people would agree that while a good character, he's not top 3 like his results would indicate.
I can't wait till we see that max potential Yoshi player that will appear (someday xD) or mostly one of us someday.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Fox is high tier because he actually has kill set ups, incredibly fast and a fast faller so he can suffocate you anywhere on or above the stage but not offstage. That's prolly the safest place you can be from competent fox mains.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Fox is high tier because he actually has kill set ups, incredibly fast and a fast faller so he can suffocate you anywhere on or above the stage but not offstage. That's prolly the safest place you can be from competent fox mains.
Don't fox and yoshi have the same kill set ups? Does rosalina have any legit kill set ups on big stages(FD battlefeild ect) Sheik really dont have any kill set ups either. I don't see the big deal on kill set ups.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Sheik may lack guaranteed, easy 100% you-die-now kill setups, but she has a very easy time setting up 50-50s, and those are strong. Especially because she's safe on whiff in these 50-50s, so she can afford to just throw out the guess.

As far as the topic of Yoshi's tier placement is concerned, I guess you couldn't call Yoshi high tier atm, but I think OP should draw the line for high tiers and also state who he thinks makes barely make the cut off (basically the characters that are barely better than Yoshi). I think this would offer some better insight into why characters are better than others and what defines tiers, and offers some better discussion.

I do agree with most of your analysis of Yoshi as a character however. I think it's very well done for the most part, but it's got some misinformation in there (the shield part isn't true), and some misleading statistics (of course Yoshi's smashes aren't safe on shield, most [all?] characters' aren't).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Fox has stuff like fast fall fair dair or nair into his Usmash, his jab change while got rid of a lot of kill set ups actually just gave him a different way for jab usmash which is more reliable than our own.
And his raw kill moves (bair, all smashes etc.) kill earlier than our raw kill moves like Usmash DownB Uair.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
[quote="Sinister Slush, post: 19843582, member: 156901"Fox has stuff like fast fall fair dair or nair into his Usmash, his jab change while got rid of a lot of kill set ups actually just gave him a different way for jab usmash which is more reliable than our own.
And his raw kill moves (bair, all smashes etc.) kill earlier than our raw kill moves like Usmash DownB Uair.[/quote]
Dair and nair are all strings to follow up. His killing moves are alot more laggy then ares. And setting up tilt for a kill is alot more difficult to pull off. Its almost impossible to get a combo of throws at 20%+.
Correct me if Im wrong though.

Btw I fought this amazing fox user and one thing is said was "why does Yoshi have such a easier time killing then fox?". His name is Mav btw.

I just don't get the big point of having alot of kill setups when most of the high level kills are reads. Imo I think its just the lack of combos. Our combos seem alot harder to pull then most other characters.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Yoshi not being high tier is even simpler than that, he's a bag of tools but none of them flow well with each other, leaving him as a very linear character. Combine that with a heavy reliance on jumping around and poor footsies and well...you get Yoshi.

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
I actually agree that Yoshi doesn't belong high tier. He has good things about him - definitely belongs up there a bit, but the funky weaknesses and lack of good grab in neutral is pretty horrible. I feel he's a solid mid tier, and tournament placements seem to show that.

I see the fantastic high level Yoshis pulling out good stuff with him, I don't see much further he can go from there, which is worrisome.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The only way they can make Yoshi an actual good character is if they buff his throws grabs or a couple of his more laggy moves.
Otherwise he's gonna continue seeing declining results and slowly fall into obscurity.

Last edited:

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
The only way they can make Yoshi an actual good character is if they buff his throws grabs or a couple of his more laggy moves.
Otherwise he's gonna continue seeing declining results and slowly fall into obscurity.
Exactly what I'm thinking as well :(

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I disagree.

Yoshi is a bit different to the rest of the cast.

While he generally lacks safe options he can dish damage out faster than almost all opponents.

My view is that Yoshi is supposed to be fundamentally unsafe. He's supposed to take damage as part of his design. He brawls with opponents repeatedly trading time and time again, winning overall because he hits faster and harder. At least in most matchups.

I don't forsee Yoshi falling into obscurity because I don't forsee him losing his ability to dish out damage as much as he takes it.

He will continue to struggle in matchups that outrange him in the neutral as they can fight Yoshi much more safely than the rest of the cast - Sword wielders, Diddy, Pit etc are a major problem that require a secondary character. I use Weegee to cover some of Yoshi's weaknesses.

Yoshi belongs at the lower end of the top 12 in my opinion. He's not the best in the game by a big margin, but he truly only struggles when an opponent can outrange him in the neutral.

No matter what happens in the meta Yoshi will always be able to guarantee landing dair on the vast majority of offstage opponents when they go for the ledge grab. Assuming you had to do damage to put someone offstage then two offstage dairs plus the knocking them out there is easily 100%.

tl;dr Yoshi is Rocky. He just tanks the punches while dishing out his own faster.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I disagree.

Yoshi is a bit different to the rest of the cast.

While he generally lacks safe options he can dish damage out faster than almost all opponents.

My view is that Yoshi is supposed to be fundamentally unsafe. He's supposed to take damage as part of his design. He brawls with opponents repeatedly trading time and time again, winning overall because he hits faster and harder. At least in most matchups.

I don't forsee Yoshi falling into obscurity because I don't forsee him losing his ability to dish out damage as much as he takes it.

He will continue to struggle in matchups that outrange him in the neutral as they can fight Yoshi much more safely than the rest of the cast - Sword wielders, Diddy, Pit etc are a major problem that require a secondary character. I use Weegee to cover some of Yoshi's weaknesses.

Yoshi belongs at the lower end of the top 12 in my opinion. He's not the best in the game by a big margin, but he truly only struggles when an opponent can outrange him in the neutral.

No matter what happens in the meta Yoshi will always be able to guarantee landing dair on the vast majority of offstage opponents when they go for the ledge grab. Assuming you had to do damage to put someone offstage then two offstage dairs plus the knocking them out there is easily 100%.

tl;dr Yoshi is Rocky. He just tanks the punches while dishing out his own faster.
Egg>Sword Is like every MU against sword fighter.

All this is highly convincing but I still think the Yoshi meta will advance over the years. Melee for example it took like 10 years for the rise of the Yoshi(aMSa). While smash4 yoshi is no where near as technical it really doesn't matter. Yoshis MU with sheik has always been bad but how come aMSa can beat the best sheik in melee? Totally diffrent game of course though.

Its kinda funny Wario and Pac Man lack a lot more then Yoshi but somehow a amazing player gets so far with him. Will Yoshi actually get far ever or will he just stay low forever?

Also anyone know Yoshis placement according to results and nothing else? I feel like hes somehow low tier noticing high and mid tiers I actually see on streams and stuff.

Edit: wait pit dominates Yoshi? Never heard of that one. Something ive noticed about Yoshi players is they all have diffrent bad MUs. Mine is olimar and thats about it.

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Yoshi not being high tier is even simpler than that, he's a bag of tools but none of them flow well with each other, leaving him as a very linear character. Combine that with a heavy reliance on jumping around and poor footsies and well...you get Yoshi.
That's true, he is very linear when it comes down to it, especially his recovery. This is the argument I'm putting forward - he might have amazing raw numbers on paper, his frame data, air speed etc, but we need to stop looking at those numbers in a vacuum and look at how his whole package comes together and how it works.

And certainly, tournament results would indicate that despite his awesome raw numbers and the tools at his disposal, the character just doesn't seem to come together in the way that the number crunchers expect him to.

Dealing out damage isn't necessarily Yoshi's problem...his major problem as outlined in my OP was that he lacks kill setups once he has the opponent at kill percent, not the least of which are his horrible grabs and equally terrible throws. There's not much use in piling on the damage if you can't actually finish the opponent off, and that's Yoshi's primary issue. All of his kill moves are predictable and he doesn't have much in the way of mixing those up. His recovery also isn't all that great when it's all said and done, it's also very predictable.

Its kinda funny Wario and Pac Man lack a lot more then Yoshi but somehow a amazing player gets so far with him. Will Yoshi actually get far ever or will he just stay low forever?

Also anyone know Yoshis placement according to results and nothing else? I feel like hes somehow low tier noticing high and mid tiers I actually see on streams and stuff.
If we were basing it on tourney results alone, Yoshi would be towards the bottom of the tier list without question. As I said in my OP, only once has a Yoshi managed to achieve a top 16 result in a major to date...*only once*, and he can't get good results in smaller tournaments either.

Edit: wait pit dominates Yoshi? Never heard of that one. Something ive noticed about Yoshi players is they all have diffrent bad MUs. Mine is olimar and thats about it.
Pit's reflector can totally screw with Yoshi's recovery, which would be a big factor in the MU I would say.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
That's true, he is very linear when it comes down to it, especially his recovery. This is the argument I'm putting forward - he might have amazing raw numbers on paper, his frame data, air speed etc, but we need to stop looking at those numbers in a vacuum and look at how his whole package comes together and how it works.

And certainly, tournament results would indicate that despite his awesome raw numbers and the tools at his disposal, the character just doesn't seem to come together in the way that the number crunchers expect him to.

Dealing out damage isn't necessarily Yoshi's problem...his major problem as outlined in my OP was that he lacks kill setups once he has the opponent at kill percent, not the least of which are his horrible grabs and equally terrible throws. There's not much use in piling on the damage if you can't actually finish the opponent off, and that's Yoshi's primary issue. All of his kill moves are predictable and he doesn't have much in the way of mixing those up. His recovery also isn't all that great when it's all said and done, it's also very predictable.

If we were basing it on tourney results alone, Yoshi would be towards the bottom of the tier list without question. As I said in my OP, only once has a Yoshi managed to achieve a top 16 result in a major to date...*only once*, and he can't get good results in smaller tournaments either.

Pit's reflector can totally screw with Yoshi's recovery, which would be a big factor in the MU I would say.
Yoshis recovery doesn't seem like a problem. Mid and high level Yoshi players rarely ever get gimped. And Yoshi recovers high enough to actually not get caught with easy b reversal mixups.

We need our old pivot grab from brawl and up throw combo set up from melee. XD That would be really cool if we got those back.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to agree with YHK on our recovery... What specifically about our recovery makes it easy for anyone?

We can start with upBs and use the jump+armour to go for a high recovery. Choosing whether to downB to ledge or go for middle stage.
We can jump then upB onto stage (or ledge)
We can upB at any edge guarder then jump into egglay
We can go low then downB underneath the ledge to avoid anyone trying to attack us while grabbing the ledge.

If we compare this to the other top tier character I play, Weegee, I'm going to go ahead and say his recovery options are MUCH worse than ours competitively. The only truly safe option he has is going super low and using downB spam for height followed by jump followed by upB. SideB towards stage is very easy to guard against by comparison.

Honestly I think Yoshi's biggest weakness is getting juggled. We can struggle returning to stage against some good opponents.

But ultimately Yoshi's goal is to fight straight through any hits that are coming his way and trade blows to victory. It's a high pressure don't-care-about-getting-hit character. We can power our way straight through combos other characters simply can not with use of super jump nair, we're able to throw out a constant wall of pressure against most of the cast.

His issue is that BECAUSE of his design being centred around needing to take hits in order to fight he's statistically unlikely to be a dominating character merely because a bit of luck and a few guesses can be the difference between fights won and lost.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I'm going to agree with YHK on our recovery... What specifically about our recovery makes it easy for anyone?

We can start with upBs and use the jump+armour to go for a high recovery. Choosing whether to downB to ledge or go for middle stage.
We can jump then upB onto stage (or ledge)
We can upB at any edge guarder then jump into egglay
We can go low then downB underneath the ledge to avoid anyone trying to attack us while grabbing the ledge.

If we compare this to the other top tier character I play, Weegee, I'm going to go ahead and say his recovery options are MUCH worse than ours competitively. The only truly safe option he has is going super low and using downB spam for height followed by jump followed by upB. SideB towards stage is very easy to guard against by comparison.

Honestly I think Yoshi's biggest weakness is getting juggled. We can struggle returning to stage against some good opponents.

But ultimately Yoshi's goal is to fight straight through any hits that are coming his way and trade blows to victory. It's a high pressure don't-care-about-getting-hit character. We can power our way straight through combos other characters simply can not with use of super jump nair, we're able to throw out a constant wall of pressure against most of the cast.

His issue is that BECAUSE of his design being centred around needing to take hits in order to fight he's statistically unlikely to be a dominating character merely because a bit of luck and a few guesses can be the difference between fights won and lost.
B reversals covor our landing better then most characters. Its like our bouncing fish when were getting away. Well kinda.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
B reversals covor our landing better then most characters. Its like our bouncing fish when were getting away. Well kinda.
I agree, however it's still relatively easy to juggle us. I find myself zoned into going for ledge grab often enough with Yoshi compared to Weegee. Yoshi doesn't have a safe return to stage move like Sheik/Diddy/Pikachu/Luigi/etc. The safest option of all is downB to ledge, it's far from ideal though.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Well Skitrel if you compare Yoshi's recovery to one of the worse recoveries than ya it'll look good. :p

His recovery is perfectly fine unless the opponent has good options to deal with eggs (strong projectile/mobility). It's not really that linear.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I agree, however it's still relatively easy to juggle us. I find myself zoned into going for ledge grab often enough with Yoshi compared to Weegee. Yoshi doesn't have a safe return to stage move like Sheik/Diddy/Pikachu/Luigi/etc. The safest option of all is downB to ledge, it's far from ideal though.
Funny thing Is. Camp on platforms against luigi(use shados amazing trick). Grab diddys banana and away as much as you can using specials. I do think pika can juggle us really good but sheiks really cant. Just my opinion.

Edit: diddy and luigi do not have safer edge options then Yoshi. Luigis who use down b to recovor above stage are easily punishable. His up b is totally worthless when hit. Diddys not really. His side B is about the only good recovory option he has.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Since Dabuz chimed in here Rosalina's recovery is more Linear than Yoshi's. Diddy's recovery is more linear than Yoshi's, literally comprising of sideB to ledge or rocket from lower.

Who else is considered top tier?

Falcon - Linear upB or sideB recovery.
Ness - Linear recovery. Jumping fair or pkt2.

Sheik, ZSS Pikachu and Sonic are some characters that truly have non-linear recoveries. There are plenty of characters that don't actually have many options recovering that are considered high tier though. I don't think our recovery is really an issue.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Diddy's recovery is def not linear. he just dies if the opponent gets him. (Yoshi kinda does too actually) I'd say Diddy's recovery is better.
Diddys up B is really bad. Spike at low percents nothing really saves you. Its really just his side B thats amazing. Yoshi has plenty of recovery options that really cant be punished if you master them all and corectly. Of course they can be punished but not as much. Diddy, sheik, sonic and others use there bodys so its basically a trade against alot of people. Its still linear I guess but better then alot others.

Yikarur

Smash Master
lol Diddys recovery is probably the most flexible recovery in the game but nvm.

Yoshi has glaring flaws but I still think he is Top10.
His damage output is ridiculous, his disadvantage state is unrivaled and he has in fact a lot of kill set-ups.
Jab alone is a kill set-up (dsmash, downB), uptilt -> Upair is a kill set-up, Egg to upair is a kill set-up, Fair -> stuff is a kill set-up, Egg Lay -> Reaction Bait is a kill set-up.
Just because it's not "dthrow upair" doesn't mean it's bad or non-existent. It's sometimes incredible hard to get a kill if the opponent plays very carefully. You have to play very patiently and wave in and out with Yoshi a lot. You have to use his insane mobility to your advantage.
Everyone just needs to step their game up. The reason Yoshi is not played by top players is because Yoshi is a very unique character and is mostly only played by his fans. Weird characters or characters with no automatic ways to get a kill lack player base in general (Rosalina, Yoshi, Pikachu..). That should not be an argument.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Rosalina has a huge player base. A creepy one as well.
jab DownB is super luck dependent + fast fallers only, though that's a good thing against fox Sheik greninja etc.
Jab Dsmash never kills unless you're little mac.
Utilt Uair is easy to escape by simply smashing your face against the L or R button, similar to stopping most of Yoshi's approach options or kill moves since they're all grounded (except slow bair and Fair I guess ???)

Playing patient sucks cause we're not very threatening if we're just weaving around putting on a show waiting for the confused opponent to do something bad. Characters like ZSS or Fox are better at the whole staredown game until one of you screws up hard.

Anyways Sheik recovery is more flexible than Diddy tho, but still diddy recovery > Yoshi in every way possible.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yikaruri post: 19850030 said:
lol Diddys recovery is probably the most flexible recovery in the game but nvm.

Yoshi has glaring flaws but I still think he is Top10.
His damage output is ridiculous, his disadvantage state is unrivaled and he has in fact a lot of kill set-ups.
Jab alone is a kill set-up (dsmash, downB), uptilt -> Upair is a kill set-up, Egg to upair is a kill set-up, Fair -> stuff is a kill set-up, Egg Lay -> Reaction Bait is a kill set-up.
Just because it's not "dthrow upair" doesn't mean it's bad or non-existent. It's sometimes incredible hard to get a kill if the opponent plays very carefully. You have to play very patiently and wave in and out with Yoshi a lot. You have to use his insane mobility to your advantage.
Everyone just needs to step their game up. The reason Yoshi is not played by top players is because Yoshi is a very unique character and is mostly only played by his fans. Weird characters or characters with no automatic ways to get a kill lack player base in general (Rosalina, Yoshi, Pikachu..). That should not be an argument.
Yeah thats why I wonder why people complain so much about his kill set ups when alot of them are actually good and work at high percents. It just involves a little bit more of work.

People think im insane for actually thinking Yoshi has the potential to be top tier. I totally understand that too. But I seriously have 9000+ hours on my smash 4 3ds+wiiu and I play Yoshi most of smash4. I guess thats why.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Rosalina has a huge player base. A creepy one as well.
Yoshis has a huge player base as well. But just because those characters have fans. Those "fans" mostly don't have a "play to win mentality" because they play a character because they love the character not because they think Yoshi/Rosalina are Top Tiers.
The actual top players don't use that characters.

jab DownB is super luck dependent + fast fallers only, though that's a good thing against fox Sheik greninja etc.
Nothing is "Luck depending". You are able to tell when jab downB works and when not. You can do Jab -> downB on the fast fallers at over 100% if you got momentum out of your Walk.

Jab Dsmash never kills unless you're little mac.
Thats not true. I've killed a lot of characters already with Jab -> Dsmash on the edge. It's legit if you don't get weak hit dsmash.

Utilt Uair is easy to escape by simply smashing your face against the L or R button
It's a true combo.

similar to stopping most of Yoshi's approach options or kill moves since they're all grounded (except slow bair and Fair I guess ???)
Upair, Fair, Bair and Nair kill (in that order). We have one of the best on-point upairs in this game. It's probably our best kill move. Just learn to read and bait airdodges. DJ -> Upair can punish airdodges on a lot of different heights.

Playing patient sucks cause we're not very threatening if we're just weaving around putting on a show waiting for the confused opponent to do something bad.
Well thats a basic component. You're going in and out and try to force mistakes, try to not be greedy, try to not jump recklessly in the opponents shield, try to bait them out of their shields usw.

Yoshi is not a character where you can just do basic stuff and succeed at Top Level. Yoshi is just a really hard character to master.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yoshis has a huge player base as well. But just becais learn se those characters have fans. Those "fans" mostly don't have a "play to win mentality" because they play a character because they love the character not because they think Yoshi/Rosalina are Top Tiers.
The actual top players don't use that characters.

Nothing is "Luck depending". You are able to tell when jab downB works and when not. You can do Jab -> downB on the fast fallers at over 100% if you got momentum out of your Walk.

Thats not true. I've killed a lot of characters already with Jab -> Dsmash on the edge. It's legit if you don't get weak hit dsmash.

It's a true combo.

Upair, Fair, Bair and Nair kill (in that order). We have one of the best on-point upairs in this game. It's probably our best kill move. Just learn to read and bait airdodges. DJ -> Upair can punish airdodges on a lot of different heights.

Well thats a basic component. You're going in and out and try to force mistakes, try to not be greedy, try to not jump recklessly in the opponents shield, try to bait them out of their shields usw.

Yoshi is not a character where you can just do basic stuff and succeed at Top Level. Yoshi is just a really hard character to master.
I agree. I really don't think the top tiers are as hard as they seem. Like all you need to do Is MUs and its like only 10 minutes of training combos. Sheiks fair strings are one of the easiest combos ive ever done.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Rosalina has dabuz xaltis falln etc.
Yoshi has
???????

But yes Utilt uair is a true combo

at low percents.

Uair is hard to land since airdodging is so easy to spam in this game and get rewarded for it similar to rolling (where they removed ledge camping from Brawl, they just switched it to the ground with rolls), more than half the time people are in the air or you throw/hit them into the air, it's much much better to just not chase at all since they're just gonna spam airdodges at our vain attempts for the kill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT360bL20xE#t=6m15s

Fair has more success for me than Uair against all the good players in my city, which is odd. No matter how big or good Uair is, I can't hit it cause their finger is melded into the L/R button even when I try to bait them. I only ever get it on the lower leveled players in my town.

Top Bottom