• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerthex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3883-6084-5037
I'm completely fine with where the game seems to be headed as a melee and PM player.
- The gameplay looks really fun with items on. Not as slow as brawl.
- All the characters seem diverse, no clones yet.There is diversity in the types of stages and are no clones besides the FD version of most stages.
- The no-edge-hogging feature is wonderful because now there will be more frantic ledge play.
- Mario doesn't need the old down B tornado. It looks better on the slippery Luigi anyways. The fludd just needs more potency, whether that's utility, power or range.
- Infinite A attacks were kind of silly anyways so its nice that there is a finisher after the flurry.
- Falco's tactics could be implemented into Fox with the new move possibilities, unfortunately making his moveset redundant.
- Fire Emblem could have a third rep. I wouldn't mind anyone notable from Awakening. Of the 33 characters confirmed none seem to be clones of the other baring some few individual attacks. I'm sure Sakurai would do justice to another FE rep.

This isn't melee or brawl. If your favorite character doesn't return, get in or is undesirable, don't worry because there will be mods in a few years.
Then finally my sword hand can twitch.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Warning Received
I'm completely fine with where the game seems to be headed as a melee and PM player.
- All the characters seem diverse, no clones yet.There is diversity in the types of stages and are no clones besides the FD version of most stages.
- The no-edge-hogging feature is wonderful because now there will be more frantic ledge play.
- Mario doesn't need the old down B tornado. It looks better on the slippery Luigi anyways. The fludd just needs more potency, whether that's utility, power or range.
- Infinite A attacks were kind of silly anyways so its nice that there is a finisher after the flurry.
- Falco's tactics could be implemented into Fox with the new move possibilities, unfortunately making his moveset redundant.
- Fire Emblem could have a third rep. I wouldn't mind anyone notable from Awakening. Of the 33 characters confirmed none seem to be clones of the other baring some few individual attacks. I'm sure Sakurai would do justice to another FE rep.

This isn't melee or brawl. If your favorite character doesn't return, get in or is undesirable, don't worry because there will be mods in a few years.
:4tlink:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Thought of another thing:
- Dixie Kong seems like a REALLY boring character to me as a DK rep. Cranky Kong or K. Rool would be a lot be a lot better in my opinion.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Thought of another thing:
- Dixie Kong seems like a REALLY boring character to me as a DK rep. Cranky Kong or K. Rool would be a lot be a lot better in my opinion.
Are you sure that isn't the popular opinion? :shades:

Espio264

Smash Ace
- Ivysaur was the most original and surprising (and fun) addition to Brawl and deserves to come back as a single, and better character this time.
- Sceptile is never gonna happen, and the very idea is a Smashboards groupthink.
- Being young when Pokemon began, I've seen how each generation has faired in comparison to the first, and yes, I am biased, but later generations are not as creative or iconic. There are obvious exceptions (Scizor, Houndoom, Lugia, Blaziken, Lucario, Deoxys, Greninja) and Sakurai has made note of many of these. But oversaturation of Gen 1 Pokemon is completely forgivable.
- Mewtwo is the most badass Pokemon historically, and should be an automatic inclusion this time. Custom movesets make him even more appealing. I was among the kids who didn't give my Mewtwo the same four attacks that the player's guide said were strategically advantageous, and therefore kicked all of my friend's butts with amazing force. I think custom movesets will give a similar effect.
- Each Brawl vet is iconic and deserves to return.
- Custom movesets should make the further inclusion of clones justifiable. It allows for them to be different from their source character.
- I'm ok with the Mii as a character seeing how Sakurai implemented them, but I do think three seperate movesets was a waste of time. Give us a grab bag of the most fun aspects of each type and then call it a day.
- I'm content with Palutena's inclusion, but she does seem a little lifeless in comparison to some of the other girls.
- Ridley is an amazing character and should be included, even if you think he'd be funky and would never play him. I think the Ice Climbers are funky, and never play them, but I'd never cut them.
- Dark Pit should never be considered for any role larger than a costume for Pit/ Boss character.
- Same goes for Dr. Mario.
- In hindsight, I'm satisfied with Pac-Man.
- Isaac, Takamaru, Paper Mario, K. Rool and Robin are all fascinating characters and should not be overlooked for inclusion. (Probably not an unpopular opinion depending on your various biases.)
- I've warmed up to the idea of the Chorus Kids, but this doesn't make me hope for them. I'm just open minded.
- I don't find Shulk or Chrom to be boring.
- Ghirahim shouldn't happen. If you want an outrageous, (and to quote the great Phillip J. Fry) "Lady Gaga-esque fame hag" then hope Wario gets a ball gown as an alternate costume.

- Falco is the man. (Not an unpopular opinion, just my usual finishing line.)

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
If we make a fuss like we did with sonic i think we will get popular characters like ridley or simon belmont, assuming they are not already in as dlc.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
But it's not like veterans take that much time, right?...
You might think so but
  • designing HD textures
    • and separate ones for the 3DS
  • designing a model with thousands of polygons
    • and a separate one for the 3DS
  • designing fluid animations
  • designing movesets
is hard work.

derp, nevermind this
(forgot to read the thread)

Last edited by a moderator:

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Warning Received
  • Competitive Smash isn't as fun as it looks.
  • Ganondorf has a good moveset. The only thing I would change is less kicking.
  • There shouldn't be so many different custom movesets for the Miis (or any character for that matter); the time and effort could have been put into new characters, unless custom movesets are significantly easier to make than new characters.
  • Other M Ridley is the best Ridley.
  • There shouldn't be a limit to how many characters can represent a series. Pokemon, Mario, Fire Emblem, (and maybe F-Zero) have many characters, so they should have lots of characters in Smash.
  • Clones are great! they just mean there's gonna be more characters in the game, and if one character has a good moveset, chances are their clone will have a good moveset as well. (e.g. Links, Mario Bros., Star Fox, Ness and Lucas)
  • Literally ANY Fire Emblem character will be fun to play as.
  • Smash Bros. is a Nintendo all-stars game. If a character is not an all-star before they are in Smash they will definitely be one afterwards, so almost any character suggestion is a viable one as Sakurai has a way of making you love characters that you may have never heard of before.
  • There is not an overage of sword fighters on the roster. If there was, then there is also too many that just punch and kick. (I don't know if this is still a thing that people argue against certain characters with, but I know it was at one point.)
  • I don't understand why people are saying Snake is cut. I think since Pac-Man is confirmed it shows that there is still room for third party characters. And we still have nothing from Konami even though they have been a huge part of Nintendo since the start.
  • Scarves make everyone more badass. Except for ZeRo. He looked like a tool.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
- I think Pac-Man deserved to be in Smash 4 more than any other newcomer.
- I still wouldn't mind if Falco was cut, or Wolf, or both.
- I think both Ness and Lucas should be in the game.
- I don't like the idea for DLC post-release, especially with characters.
- Zelda should be buffed instead of continously nerfed in some areas, and deserves to be high tier like in Project M.
- Ridley seems to be the most highly requested character around here, I still think he may be in and the shadow on Pyrosphere confirms nothing.
- I like Ike more than Marth.
- I think Smash 4 looks just fine and there is no need for wavedashing and other competitive mechanics. Casuals pay for the game too.
- Mii Fighters deserved to be on the roster and will allow so many possibilities.
- Smash Run honestly looks really boring and it is way too focused on. I'd rather have SSE.

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Dixie should not get in the game, considering we already have Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong

It's as wrong as Daisy getting in the game
(honestly though, if you have a good argument to why she should get in the game tell me please :s )

Renji64

Smash Lord
I think sakurai is not talented as people claim.
Smash 4 could be much better with the feedback from players.
I don't wanna play a slow defensive boring game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
-I was disappointed that Pokemon Trainer was cut. Sure, Staminak and Type Effectiveness were worthless gimmicks, but the concept could've worked.
-I feel that we can be too cut-happy. Like we can just leave 'em out for our personal biases. Or we just jump to conclusions because of something minor (Remember Lucas' Brawl reveal?).
-I also believe we abuse relvance a bit too much for our own good. Even when we've been shown time and time again that there isn't such a thing as "relevance". We still fall back on it like it's some rock-solid evidence.
-I never got the whole "Melee vs Brawl" argument. If you like one game, then play that game. Why is it so important that you have to shove it down everyone's throat (And this goes both ways mind you, it's not just one party that is guilty of this.)? If you like one game, fine. If you don't, that's okay too. We don't have to tell the other party they're idiots for preferences.

Last edited:

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
- i want smash 4 to be melee 2.0
- if not that then melee 2.0 without wavedashing and L-cancel (but with less landing lag / automatic L-cancel)
- if not that then a game that emphasizes and rewards aggressive play instead of defensive play through old or new means
- if none of the 3 above mentioned opinions come true i will be pretty disappointed with smash 4 and i'll be looking forward to a melee remake (which I believe is likely to happen)

- even on this "competitive" forum the misconceptions regarding melee fans are frustrating to deal with and just sad

- I am greatly annoyed by the threads that used to pop up on this site like a week ago. The ones whose purpose were to "address" the negativity that was around after the smash invitational. Personally I believe that the negativity was very justified because there are legitimate competitive concerns regarding smash 4 and voicing and discussing such concerns should really be the PRIMARY purpose of a "competitive" smash 4 forum.

Having then 10 threads pop up that pretty much say "how dare you don't love the new game you stuck in the past melee idiot" was very frustrating to me. I don't know why some of you guys even care that much about what other people think, if you're happy with smash 4 why are you even complaining if someone else isn't? You're not gonna change anybody's mind if you write like a mad 10 year old kid. Make some sound arguments why you think, based on the gameplay you've seen, smash 4 will be a great competitive game (like the thread "Smash 4 Analysis from a guy who loves camping" by a forum member called "Overswarm").

It is also important to mention that the people who didn't like smash 4 were very civil about it, they kept their negativity in threads where it belonged and didn't intend to piss people off who like the game (on this forum at least). It definitely wasn't the same situation like it was when Brawl first came out, like some people claimed. I am glad that the mods cleared that nonsense and I am quite happy with the solution they came up with.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you my clone? Or am I the clone?

Regardless;
I think Brawl is a great game. Sue me.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
- I think for me personally this roster is going to be a downgrade from Brawl. Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake are my favorite characters from Brawl and all of them are in danger of being cut. while I do like Villager and Little Mac, they probably wont make up for the cuts.

- Like others have already said, I don't really like the Kid Icarus series. I can agree that it has ok gameplay, music, and aesthetics, but it just feels so forced and unfunny. I feel like its being forced as like a series just important as Metroid or Kirby, despite it only having 3 games. And a lot of this forced importance can be seen with all of the bias with smash bros content. Also the talking in KI: Uprising is extremely annoying, and I had to mute the palutena reveal trailer because of it.

- while unlikely, I feel that Professor Layton deserves to be in the game more than any 3rd or 1st party character. The Layton series has 7 games made since 2007, all which were exclusive to ds and 3ds. That's more games then some Smash franchises with multiple characters have. He's moderately popular, sell well enough, and even has a movie. It would be great if we had actual relevant or non-hasbeen 3rd party characters in the roster.

- I liked the Kirby right back at ya' voice for King DeDeDe better than his normal voice.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
This one might sting a bit.

Sakurai will ignore any request to add advanced techniques back into SSB4.

Think about it. People who know enough about past Smash Bros. games who know terms like "Wavedashing," "L-Canceling" or "Dash Dancing" (basically everyone on this message board) are established fans of the series and will buy SSB4 regardless of whether or not these mechanics are put into the game, because, let's face it, it's frikkin Smash Bros. You bought Brawl, did you not?

The sales market of this game will be expanded by new players, and adding skill barriers in a series that is supposed to be easy to pick up and play can easily turn off casuals and make the game inaccessible to newcomers. Sakurai still views Smash Bros. as a communial party game; not a serious fighting game. He has budged in a few areas (tripping), but the larger audience is what's at stake here. Our community will buy this game regardless, often twice, once for each version. Newcomers might not bite if the online game is ruled by wavedashing combo demons.

The 3DS version will be released in about three months in Japan, and a portion of that time will be utilized to print the game for launch. Minus a few small tweaks, debugging and fine tuning, the game is complete. Sure, small patches down the road are more than likely, but they're not going to totally revamp the game into Melee 2.0.

Basically, be happy with what you got.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
K Rool should not be in a Smash game (unless of course they actually make him relevant to the DK series again).

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This one might sting a bit.

Sakurai will ignore any request to add advanced techniques back into SSB4.

Think about it. People who know enough about past Smash Bros. games who know terms like "Wavedashing," "L-Canceling" or "Dash Dancing" (basically everyone on this message board) are established fans of the series and will buy SSB4 regardless of whether or not these mechanics are put into the game, because, let's face it, it's frikkin Smash Bros. You bought Brawl, did you not?

The sales market of this game will be expanded by new players, and adding skill barriers in a series that is supposed to be easy to pick up and play can easily turn off casuals and make the game inaccessible to newcomers. Sakurai still views Smash Bros. as a communial party game; not a serious fighting game. He has budged in a few areas (tripping), but the larger audience is what's at stake here. Our community will buy this game regardless, often twice, once for each version. Newcomers might not bite if the online game is ruled by wavedashing combo demons.

The 3DS version will be released in about three months in Japan, and a portion of that time will be utilized to print the game for launch. Minus a few small tweaks, debugging and fine tuning, the game is complete. Sure, small patches down the road are more than likely, but they're not going to totally revamp the game into Melee 2.0.

You should understand that the Demo we got was probably compiled even before the Smash Direct, and no, Sakurai's npt againist competitive play, he's againist unnecessary tech-skill barriers that only serve to make the gap between competitive and casual even bigger.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care for Wolf, and I wouldn't mind him getting cut if it meant room for new characters.

I didn't mind the idea of Miis before they were revealed, but I don't really like that there are three of them. I wish they had just stuck with one model that used moves from the WiiGame series, i.e. tennis rackets, baseball bats, and bowling balls.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
- I really dislike Miis, but I can understand why they were included...they are a pretty big part of Nintendo now, whatever I like it or not.
- This game does not need more villans.
- Also, I don't undertand why people consider Mewtwo a villan. It was never truly evil in any media.
- Smashboards sucked all my smash 4 hype.

D

Deleted member

- Also, I don't undertand why people consider Mewtwo a villan. It was never truly evil in any media.
Mewtwo is only considered a villain because of the First Movie. How evil he is is debatable, but he is the antagonist. The only 2 characters in the game I consider villains are Bowser and Ganondorf.

Glad I'm not the only one. Every time I accidentally stumble upon a hate post, it takes at least 15 not hate filled ones to return my hype to what it was before.

As for an unpopular opinion; I'm fine with Kid Icarus being "over-represented."

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
- Under the assumption Solid Snake returns, if I could trade him off for Simon Belmont, I would do so instantaneously, without question. I am a fervently-passionate fan of both Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania, especially (in Smash terms) great stage/music selections and playable character inclusions, but I would give the hardened edge to Castlevania. That said, it will never happen in a million and one years.
- Marth should not have been nerfed.
- Pit and Kirby are my bruised-and-bloodied punching bags (although I like the Kirby series).
- Link and Zelda/Sheik maintaining their Twilight Princess designs is incredibly lazy.
- Mario keeping FLUDD is also incredibly lazy.
- Wario's default WarioWare attire in Brawl did not bother me.
- I like Toon Link as a playable character.
- This may be one of the most unpopular opinions ever posted... I do not despise ZeRo or his play-style (oooooh).

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I would prefer Smash 4 without Mewtwo, K.Rool and Ridley over Smash 4 without Lucas.
Yeah, I just said that.

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
I would prefer Smash 4 without Mewtwo, K.Rool and Ridley over Smash 4 without Lucas.
Yeah, I just said that.
My god.

My own opinions:

I'm fine if Roy doesn't make it.
I'm fine if Wolf doesn't make it.
I think Falco should have the side kick smash as he did in melee.
I'm very fine if stupid Wii Fit Trainer gets cut 1 day before release.
I'm TOTALLY fine if Mii Fighters get replaced with Pichu (50% serious here).
I'm EXTREMELY fine if Toon Link is cut. EXTREMELY.
I think sheik and zss should work like before. One being transformed into, the other being selected or coming after a FS. It feels like they waste two character slots.

Now, I'm ULTRA EXTREME fine if Rosalina & Luma gets replaced with something else 2 seconds before release.

Over and out!

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
- I really dislike Miis, but I can understand why they were included...they are a pretty big part of Nintendo now, whatever I like it or not.
- This game does not need more villans.
Are you me?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, but I didn't want to make a thread about it since it's probably already been discussed.

But I am already scared about the balance of this game.

Take Diddy Kong for example. He can still throw 2 bananas, judging by the banana item it won't disappear after you slip, and he can most likely still grab after tripping opponent. This sounds like Brawl all over again.

I don't know how campy Olimar is in this game, I've barely seen anyone play him (except in the Invitational where I saw that pretty good Olimar rise almost effortlessly until he was eliminated by a popularity vote in favor of ZeRo)

I know it's still an early build, but I can't help being concerned about the balance. Heck, Samus doesn't look nearly as OP as Sakurai made her out to be. In fact she looks kinda same-ish, except faster fall speed, like everyone else.

This is my current biggest worry with the game. And one of the only ones too.

-
Also:
-Still not liking Charizard solo
-I admit the idea of Miis grew quickly on me, but this coming from someone who enjoyed the heck out of character builder in SC3 and SC4.
-I really hope Greninja doesn't end up being top tier. :p

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Florges looks cooler than Greninja and should have been the newcomer if the choice was solely based on looks.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
But.
But.
Jiggles is a fairy type now...
So? Who says that Pokemon need to represent certain types to be in Smash? This guys sure didn't say that.:pichumelee: Especially because all he can say is "Pichu".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So? Who says that Pokemon need to represent certain types to be in Smash? This guys sure didn't say that.:pichumelee: Especially because all he can say is "Pichu".
You sir, must be educated in the ways of the :172:. He can say more than just "Pichu."

I just really want Jiggles back. I don't care how many straws I must grasp along the way.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
People who say that certain characters will never be playable annoy me... with that saying Ghirahim won't ever be playable.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
We should accept the SR leak/rumor.

It's over, Lucas is cut. BUT, the leak only states characters that were meant to be revealed at E3.

This is unpopular because some people don't agree. (None of this is meant to be hostile in anywhere.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My unpopular opinion:
We should embrace DLC, and ask for a lot of characters (mostly veterans) and stages (mostly past stages) for DLC, hopefully in the form of an expansion pack. Also, an expansion pack like Ultra Street Fighter IV would be AMAZING!!!

Plus, just about every legitimately good idea for a character or stage that has a good shot at happening/coming back could happen!
Take Diddy Kong for example. He can still throw 2 bananas, judging by the banana item it won't disappear after you slip, and he can most likely still grab after tripping opponent. This sounds like Brawl all over again.
I've seen the banana peel (the item) used, and it only causes tripping on the first try. After that it merely does damage and light knockback. I assume Diddy's bananas work the same way, and if they do, it's not a cause of concern.

Besides that, tech chases are basically dead in the game from what I can tell. There aren't very many of them. The tripping tech chase Diddy had in Brawl is for all intensive purposes dead.
I know it's still an early build, but I can't help being concerned about the balance. Heck, Samus doesn't look nearly as OP as Sakurai made her out to be. In fact she looks kinda same-ish, except faster fall speed, like everyone else.
I was at the demo with a former top NorCal Brawl player who was top 10 in the region at some point, and he was a Samus Brawl player (his main in Bralw was Fox). He found out her z-Air (which has automatic landing lag canceling; literally z-canceling from Smash 64, only automatically!) covers roughly 60% of most stages, and you can combo ANYTHING into it. ANYTHING! This same player also found an automatic 0%-70% combo with Samus that kills on a few stages, and it worked in both games.

Add that together with a up smash, forward smash, fully charged neutral B, and up B that all can KO (all of them super early but the up B) with stale moves negation intact, and Samus is pretty dang good.

===

This isn't an opinion injection or a debate. This isn't me disagreeing with him. This is me but posting what I saw was in the game and what I learned from the demo, to clarify where he might not be totally informed.

This isn't intended for debate at all. I posted this with the hopes of informing people, not debate. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Unpopular Opinion: I want Bass or Treble in Smash 4 as a character/assist rather than Zero or any other commonly requested Mega Man character.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
It's funny. I bought Brawl, played it, got bored after a few weeks, ended up losing it when moving, found out about PM, and bought Brawl again. I still have my copy of Melee and 64, though.

Speaking of PM, it has basically all of the Melee tech in it as well as a lot of cool Brawl tech like the DACUS, B reverse, and QAC. So in theory, PM should have an even larger barrier of entry than Melee did. It's weird then. I've introduced PM to every one of my friends. Some last played 64, some last played Melee, some last played Brawl, and some have played none at all (sick rhymes, yo). All my friends who I'd consider casual players, preferred PM over all other Smash games. The only ones that didn't, were more of the competitive Brawl players. Mainly because they spent a lot of time with Brawl and having to relearn their characters wasn't too enticing.

Now this is just my personal experience, so results may vary. But why would my casual friends prefer PM? First I think it's because of the roster. Second I believe because tech in Smash Bros doesn't matter if the casual player doesn't know about it. If it did, then my friends must be super human if they can play PM for a couple hours and have fun.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Smash Run doesn't look fun at all.

Palutena was far from the best choice for a big hype reveal at E3.

A lot of speculation here is frivolous and pointless, and usually consists of people trying to factualize their opinions and tastes with shoddy reasoning and references to ambiguous developer comments. I hope such people are only doing that for sport, and don't take themselves seriously. It hurts when I see people fighting over stupid things like imaginary notions they develop in their heads.
First point was bolded because it was the reason I typed this comment.

D

Deleted member

I don't care what new characters are in the game, because I won't have gotten to play them and form an opinion about their playstyle.

To add to this, I care more about a character's moves than who they are. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have started to play Wario. (I actually do like the character a lot more now.)

The thing that makes not knowing the roster stressful for me is not whether or not my favorite character will be playable for the first time, it is not knowing which characters from previous games will make the cut. The completely random timing of some of these reveals doesn't help either. This is why the Game & Watch cameo in the Pac-man trailer irritated me so much. Only 1 character I used in Brawl has been confirmed so far. So tl;dr, I find veteran reveals much more important than newcomer reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom