• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When it comes to R.O.B specifically, I simply like having a non-video game character in the game (he's really just a peripheral). IDK, other crossovers have similar ideas, so I like having something like R.O.B in Smash. I cant say I'd lose sleep if he didn't return though.

And I don't see how Game & Watch WOULDN'T get in again since they probably finish modelling and animating him in a few hours on today's hardware, since he's so simple and primitive. Plus, he's technically Nintendo's first game character, so if Mario gets in based on being as iconic as he is, he should too (and I find him much more unique and fun to use than Mario anyway). I also like how he can buddy-up with Pac-Man now, as "The Abstract Retro Buddies", as I like to call them. Though again, I don't really have any sentimental attachments to him, so I can't say I'd be broken if he didn't return.

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
-Given that Kirby is still a relevant series, with very few bad games, and a constant presence, I feel that the franchise is more deserving of a high character count than Metroid, Star Fox, or Donkey Kong, although I do still want Ridley and K Rool.

-I think Kid Icarus is getting far too much focus in this game, and the sheer amount of content from that tiny franchise is making me start to detest it. Granted, looking through this thread, this seems to be a more common opinion than I initially thought.

-I absolutely want the Chorus Men, but I think Karate Joe would be a horrible alternative. He's ugly, and I could easily see him having a boring moveset. I like that the Chorus Men are such a bizarre choice, because Sakurai would have to be inventive with them.

-I want Chorus Men more than Ridley, K.Rool, or Mewtwo (And I even love Pokemon) I'd okay with the Gematsu leak being the last three newcomers

-The Mother series, despite being my favorite Nintendo franchise, does not need two representatives. It is a short, dead franchise, that barely even left Japan. F-Zero similarly does not need more than one.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I liked ROB because he displays more emotion than half of the Brawl cast, and love his design too. :laugh:

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
Also! Forgot one.

-Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem have far too many characters for us to continue using the same few. Sheik, Toon Link, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Ike all could have been easily replaced. I also think there is too much emphasis on the first generation of Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

Just to clarify; I do not mind them in the game, it is their role that bothers me. Secondly, I did not assert that any and all "unexpected characters" were bad. I actually enjoy characters like Ice Climbers or Wii Fit Trainer, and in the event that the Gematsu leak is objectively true, I am sure that I would welcome him/them (Chorus Men) with open arms. My personal vendetta is against R.O.B. and Game & Watch alone. More specifically R.O.B. because Game & Watch at the very least has the 2D gimmick. Lastly, I did not assert that "fan favorites" were better than unexpected characters either.

I am not sure if that is just poor diction on your part "the exact opposite of the above." Or if you actually thought that I believed the opposite of you (which is not the case). Again, this is not an argument, I am just elaborating. Please don't mod me, bro! :urg:
Sorry, this is just poor word choice. I didn't mean it like how it came off. I'll revise my post. Sorry! :p

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- "There's too many humanoid characters in this game. There's no variety!"
You know who isn't humanoid? R.O.B.! And he's on 99% of people's "cut" lists. Bloody hypocrites!
- So Magnus is an Assist Trophy. From the footage I've seen, he says something like "I'm happy to help" and it made me feel really bad about shooting him down as playable for some reason. Damn you Magnus for making me feel!

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Unpoplar opinions:

-Ridley is the most overrated character to smash bros. Is like having the most terrifying character and putting in smash bros and become the most "ugghhh" villains, I want him be cool, big, powerful and intimidating than make him small, not powerful and not intimating!
-Smash 4 is NOT Brawl 2.0. They got a few amazing changes and nerf. Including the new edge-counter. Amazing Representatives Items. New cool Final Smahes. and finally good Pokemon and Assist Trophies.
-Smash can have more villains. But We really need more genderless characters like R.O.B. or Mewtwo.
-Smash have to many people Punching with fist and slashing with swords. We need more Claws or a least a character that use spear in smash...
-Range Fighter are very underrated.
-Of all Leak-Lucky Sal Romano Characters. Shulk and Chorus Men/Marshal are my Most Wanted characters. Chrom is boring.
-Even the new stage. most of them are full of hazards, I really like it and make the battle more intense and Fun.
-Is stage has too many hazard. I really like the idea that many stages have a final destination floor. Is a great idea but not the best.
--Smash Run I think is gonna be better than Subspace emmisary.
-Mii and Pac-Man were I think there gonna suck. I grew into them little bit. Mii are really iconic now and Pac-man is iconic too and that why am ok with.
-Im glad Marth and Fox are nerf for a big reason. But Fox sounds weird.
-Another Zelda Characters is more fanservice than something new to Smash.
-I liking really the roster because is not the fans want but more like Show something new, Impressive and unique to bring in Smash bros that can impress the actual audience saying "who that guy I gonna try it" that charm will always be in every smash game and that why new surprised random characters are always welcome.(Remeber Marth in Melee and Pit in Brawl.)

courte

Smash Lord
I hate how scrubs refuse to get good and wallow in delusion. A drive against getting better at something, not just someone Getting better themselves, but holding animosity against others who improve themselves, is what splits the player base and is why the genre needs to grow outside of Nintendo

I think Roy (most charts) are great in pm. The only thing i'd like more is to see him somewhere else in that feat armor coughfesmashcough. Aside from nostalgia I think the reason alot of people like him is because he is the entire embodiment of the alt, especially for FE.

Excels at close range, relies on power not edged cries, rather unpopular in his series, heavy, red hair. For All of his similarities to marth there Is a world of differences. The ken to rye, the falco to fox, the Luigi to mario. some people on these boards would argue the tingle to Link. And with chrom potentially on the horizon, I think the loud voice are indication that quick blue haired flawless swordsman is not something a majority of the fanbase is looking forward to. we love the underdog. most of us are the underdog. As evidenced by Capcom being so crazy were all looking forward to mn09 and some of us astute others azure strikers gunvolt

I'm all for every Single series having more than posterboy and friends pandering base representation. that is one reasons I think Pokémon should mix up the most every game. As with the many item using reincarnations of Link, and the many copy abilities of Kirby, the many jobs, perspectives and powerups of mario 2d 3d and stuck in between. I'd Like to see dragonite over charizard for that reason. well known but not slathered on all media cute and domineering looking at the same time. And Metroid needs more reps because that universe is more than just samus. LIke Kirby's. Like pit's.

Ganondorf has to change. Either become an ashura mage or get a sword but get out of captain falcon's shadow. F-zero Is as good as dead.

Depending on winch Characters make it into hyrule warriors as playable... I just may be able to move on from pipe dreams of more playable loz chars in smash.if impa sheik, ganon,and ganondorf make it i'm slightly satiated. vaati, ghirahim, skull kid, Little link, iron hammers iron boots and mad items? I just may cry for ever

I understand why they've made megaman play that way... but imagine how fun the whole game would be if everyone moved like their original game? It wouldn't

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I hate how scrubs refuse to get good and wallow in delusion. A drive against getting better at something, not just someone Getting better themselves, but holding animosity against others who improve themselves, is what splits the player base and is why the genre needs to grow outside of Nintendo

I think Roy (most charts) are great in pm. The only thing i'd like more is to see him somewhere else in that feat armor coughfesmashcough. Aside from nostalgia I think the reason alot of people like him is because he is the entire embodiment of the alt, especially for FE.

Excels at close range, relies on power not edged cries, rather unpopular in his series, heavy, red hair. For All of his similarities to marth there Is a world of differences. The ken to rye, the falco to fox, the Luigi to mario. some people on these boards would argue the tingle to Link. And with chrom potentially on the horizon, I think the loud voice are indication that quick blue haired flawless swordsman is not something a majority of the fanbase is looking forward to. we love the underdog. most of us are the underdog. As evidenced by Capcom being so crazy were all looking forward to mn09 and some of us astute others azure strikers gunvolt
Please keep these opinions specific to Smash 4, and don't resort to insulting others to get your point across.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
- If Playstation All Stars did at least one thing right, it would be the character rival thing they had going on. I would like to see that in Smash 4.
We already have the legendary Mario vs. Sonic vs. Megaman vs. Pacman going on.
Samus vs. Little Mac and Link vs. Pit from the trailers would be cool in the game.
I'd mostly want to see a Rosalina vs. Palutena rivalry. The Queen of the Cosmos vs. the Goddess of Light! Battle of the Waifus.
- DLC for veterans like Roy and Mewtwo sounds so lame! I'd rather be paying for brand new characters like Inkling and Henry (from Code Name STEAM). Maybe some Assist Trophy promotions like Dillon and Issac (if he's not a character yet).
I love this ideas, especially Palutena vs. Rosalina or Henry and Inkling as DLC, Smash could have some Ranged Fighters!^

-I like the idea of DLC free or not. but I not wanna that price.
-Falco is only loved by is top tier and competive player but outside there. is mostly a freaking clone... He need to be declone.
-Kirby could get another representatives but Kirby, King dedede and Meta Knight are a perfect Trio, even I want Bandana Dee so badly...
-Loved the boss ideas in stage. Especially Dark Emperor is the best I ever seen.
-Pac-Land stage is very awsome like flat zone 2
-I literaly Want Shulk in smash for its soundtrack like...Isaac from Golden Sun.
-When Pic of the day are complete useless or weird, I want a Pic of the day with Pac-Man K.O screen than a "Look how pretty is the Ray gun, Superscope and Steel diver gun but there very different". Gonna wait for tomorrow.

This is myself opinion but:
-I love the Amiibo idea, is like a memory card that can bring your powerful character all customizable anywhere ready to trumph everyone. I really miss the memory card so I can save data anywhere so Amiibo.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
- I fear that some newcomers, like Rosalina and Pac-Man, might became too weak/strong due to their unique way to play. I also think that they will be very hard characters to learn, and even harder to master, which will probably drive some players away from them.
- I do not belive that characters fight for "slots".
- PT was a bad addition and i'm glad he's gone.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master

Most people have schooling, careers, and relationships that get in the way of "getting good." They're not doing it to spite you or refusing to do it...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't hate "filler" pic of the days. It's nice enough that Sakurai is willing to post a new screenshot of the game every day. We can't/shouldn't expect ALL of them to reveal information, especially so shortly after E3. Plus, some of them are funny, and ripe for captioning.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I get really bothered when I go into a character thread and people's ideas for making a character viable are moving all of the attributes to be closer to the middle-ground in every area.

Here's what I mean:

Link is bad in Brawl so a bunch of people say "One of Link's problems in Brawl is that he has a bad recovery. In the new game his recovery should go farther."

Maybe it's boring game design to get rid of every character's problems. What if they keep Link's recovery bad and they give him a ridiculous and fun projectile and ground game? Like make him able to aim his arrows, make his attacks even more devastating, make his boomerang have a stronger pull, give him bomb arrows. Anything but "just remove his flaws." You feel me?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Kirby, Rosalina, Mr Game & Watch, R.O.B., Greninja >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your favourite.

Oh and R.O.B. doesn't have a chance to be cut, people need to wake up to themselves when they say he has a chance to be cut when he really doesn't.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
- I'm rooting for Anthony Higgs only because I want to witness this site implode.
- There's not a even a glint of chance that Ganondorf or Captain Falcon will be cut.
- I'd be perfectly fine if Ganondorf has a similar moveset from previous installments. At the same time, I wouldn't flip out if he's changed.
- Marth should have an English option.
- I don't have an opinion on ROB. He's just one of those characters that's just... there.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm tired of being teased at by Sakurai and I won't feel comfortable until Captain Falcon and to a lesser extent Falco are confirmed.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Please keep these opinions specific to Smash 4, and don't resort to insulting others to get your point across.
He's not insulting anyone specific. He is talking about scrubs.. Is it really that controversial nowadays?

Morbi

Scavenger
It would be nice if characters like Lucas and Snake were cut just so that other people would be disappointed in the roster; it would be even better if favorites like Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, etc. were left out to affirm that notion. I want the worst possible roster so that I can read the salt and laugh at the people who unconditionally enjoy Sakurai's decisions.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
It would be nice if characters like Lucas and Snake were cut just so that other people would be disappointed in the roster; it would be even better if favorites like Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, etc. were left out to affirm that notion. I want the worst possible roster so that I can read the salt and laugh at the people who unconditionally enjoy Sakurai's decisions.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are like the anti-everyone! If they like it or hate it you laugh. And that makes me laugh. If its gonna be a bad roster than you might as well have the gamecube controller as a playable character lol.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He's not insulting anyone specific. He is talking about scrubs.. Is it really that controversial nowadays?
It's touchy because some people use it as a derogatory term to mean anyone who plays video games casually. Given how blended this particular board is when it comes to competitive and casual players, sometimes things do break out when someone takes the phrase the wrong way or uses it a certain way. It's kind of like when people use the slang "********." For some people its just common speech while other people find it highly offensive. Either way, the term scrub has a tendency to start something on some of the boards so we don't try to encourage it in those places.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
People want Ridley as the anti-Little Mac but Megaman already fits the bill.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People want Ridley as the anti-Little Mac but Megaman already fits the bill.
How's this for an unpopular opinion: Little Mac is the anti-Little Mac. Guy seems to defeat himself all on his own. :troll: In all seriousness, I really hope he has better recovery options in his custom moveset or a really helpful AT is discovered with him to help him be viable because things aren't looking good for him at the moment.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
How's this for an unpopular opinion: Little Mac is the anti-Little Mac. Guy seems to defeat himself all on his own. :troll: In all seriousness, I really hope he has better recovery options in his custom moveset or a really helpful AT is discovered with him to help him be viable because things aren't looking good for him at the moment.
To be fair, maybe the reason he has a less than desirable recovery is to keep him from being overly broken.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As long as the game is playable...

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
  • I love Ridley, but I'm not really expecting him at this point. I'd be absolutely fine with Anthony as a Metroid rep, since I actually liked Other M and he was the best character in it. I also thought the "MB" form of Mother Brain was pretty cool, and think she could make an interesting fighter.
  • Dixie AND Cranky should have priority over K. Rool, and I thought that before Tropical Freeze happened.
  • People take cuts way too personally. Roster-based games always make cuts from installment to installment. Hell, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing obliterated like HALF of its roster for Transformed. That said, it doesn't look like Smash 4 is going to be very cut-happy, so I guess its a moot point.
  • Sakurai isn't a troll. He's just a guy with a sense of humor. You'd have to be to create some of the games he's created.
  • I want Captain N in the game.
  • There's no wrong way to play a game, however (get those tomatoes ready) I think high-level competitive play misses the point of Super Smash Bros.
  • Splatoon looks like it has the potential to be Nintendo's first "big-deal" character based franchise since Pikmin and Animal Crossing both landed in 2001, and I think they should throw an Inkling into the roster to raise awareness. The Wii U can use all the help it can get at this point, so why not?
  • Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Spider-Man 3 are both good movies.
  • No more unlockable characters. It's 2014. Just give me all of them. "Replay value" is a poor excuse for them, too, since most of us are going to get them all within a couple of days, and we'll probably know about all of them before the game even launches anyway. Take a page from Super Street Fighter 4.
  • If Mega Man ever gets a second character, it should be Roll. She was the bomb dot com in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
  • Miis were inevitable, and the Mii Fighter is a really creative way to bring them into the fold. I don't get the hate for them around these parts.
  • It's mostly gone quiet, but I really don't understand why so many people thought Takamaru was such a lock for this game.
  • Brawl is better than Melee.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
A large majority of Assist Trophies should be from series without playable characters. I always get a little disappointed when we see yet another Mario or Zelda NPC showing up on the PotD instead of the Elite Beat Agents or Ray.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I get rather annoyed when people call that assist trophy "Pong", even though that's essentially what it is anyway, so I never talk about it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'd prefer for the full roster as well as the stage list to be available from the start without having to unlock them.

Only things that should be unlock-able are minor additions like music or alt costumes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom