• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Palutena is an instance of "Be careful what you wish for."

From the moment I saw Pit in the first Brawl trailer, I have wanted Palutena in Smash Bros. Now that she is here, everything down from her looks, to her trailer (only parts I liked didn't involve her), and the emphasis on using the powers from Kid Icarus: Uprising, has been a disappointment. Back when I wanted her in the game, all I had in mind was this:
Even now, I can think of several movesets that just focus on the shield and staff, and she would be 100% unique among the cast. I am not pleased with the direction the character was taken.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Palutena is an instance of "Be careful what you wish for."

From the moment I saw Pit in the first Brawl trailer, I have wanted Palutena in Smash Bros. Now that she is here, everything down from her looks, to her trailer (only parts I liked didn't involve her), and the emphasis on using the powers from Kid Icarus: Uprising, has been a disappointment. Back when I wanted her in the game, all I had in mind was this:
Even now, I can think of several movesets that just focus on the shield and staff, and she would be 100% unique among the cast. I am not pleased with the direction the character was taken.
This is an off topic post for being too popular. :p

But for real. She doesn't look like too good of a character. Big, heavy, campy, gimmicky, and slow. That is not good.

Hopefully she's not as bad as she looks. If there were ever a time that I hoped the Sakurai bias was real its right now.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Even tough I'm happy that speculation is way better now, I don't like how it took that to get to this point. It was really

Like, it's not even the leak itself, that wasn't even the problem. The problem was false assumption based on absolutely nothing stated, not even by the leak: finals newcomers or not. I did extensive research on Ridley to realise that leak or not he's pretty likely just that made me expect the leak not being finals. Even with rosalina, I honestly don't know why it had to got to a point where people dropped most of support and hype (this is coming from an OP of my most wanted support thread). Honestly, NO ONE NOT EVEN THE LEAKER OR SAL SAID ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER NEWCOMERS!!! It even got proven false already with rosalina so I expect that they aren't finals.

Leak getting 100% partially true and losing credibility has nothing to do with speculations since the only worry people had was finals or not? Unless you hared the characters on the leak but that's another story...

Though, the last thing that really helped and was unexpected is that 4 FE rep. This will make support in threads like mine (in fact, it's happening now) or vaati or bowser jr SO MUCH BETTER. That's because the hope of seeing a bigger roster has just increased which leads more rooms for others.

^This, should help but what if the leak said that? That's the problem I have because let's say the leaker said there would be lucina and robin Monday, it will changes nothing to support and speculation. Why? Because people would still believe that leak = finals while no one and not even the leak said so.

I hate to say this but it's the same as saying "Ridley is too big" since both assumption are based on belief and it's obvious why this belief is false. The too big argument is just false while the leak = finals wasn't even stated at all. That's even worse because you believe to what has not been stated but what is BELIEVED.

I'm happy but I feel that it should have ended since Rosalina's reveal not some days ago. Also, please for the love of god DO NOT MIX WANT AND EXPECT!!! That's so dumb to not want your most wanted because you don't think he'll be in e game. And the opposite is true UNLESS you learned about him but that's another thing.

Feel free to love who you want without caring about their chances and feel free to expect whoever you want without caring about your dreams. Support thread shouldn't even drop if people believed about it anyway.

I finished my rant but people should be more careful when talking about leak I lived the experience: don't talk too much about them but just enough to consider them.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This seems to be unpopular:
- I actually love Palutena making the cut, she deserved it because KI: Uprising was one of the greatest games of this generation and part of it being so great was Pit's and Palutena's chitchat.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
- I never saw a single problem in a possible inclusion of Ridley. Call me a lesser Metroid fan because of your bias, but especially Roidley (whose design I'd expect a playable Ridley to be based on) doesn't have proportions making him look too awkward when downscaled.
Oh, and Ridley loses his coolness and fierceness when downscaled?
As long as Ganondorf gets beaten up by a pink puffball...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
- Lucina, yet another Female Newcomer getting a lot of hate. What's with all the misogyny?
I was worried I was suffering from it too, but then Fem Robin and Lucina turned up and I realised I was just sick of newcomer women having to rely on supernatural powers in order to not suck in battle. Bring on the Dixie Kong!

Judging by what I've seen in today's Rate Their Chances, this is actually an unpopular opinion:
  • I still don't think Wii Fit warranted a character, just a stage, some music and maybe an AT.
  • On the same note I think a character all about physical fitness shouldn't have energy balls of any variety. It seems out of place to me.
  • In the most expressive game, the Smash game with the most emotive technicalities, such an expressionless blank slate of a character inexplicably annoys me no end.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
K.Rool is not deserving of being in Smash.
Roy isn't a well designed character.
Lucina was a good choice and I'm glad she didn't become an alt for Marth.

Apollo181

Smash Cadet
It doesn't matter how many Kremlings are in Smash Run. Dixie Kong WILL be the new DK Rep!

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I wish we could get trophies with cool HD models of King Harkinian and Morshu, as well some musics from the CD-I games.

I'm serious. '-'... I actually think that Nintendo should mention the CD-I games occasionally in a satiric level; and so, we could get the very few good content in those games.

~ c'mon Tecmo; give me Morshu as a shop keeper in Hyrule Warriors. :3

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Chorus Kids are a terrible idea and should not be in Smash.

I want Paper Mario as a newcomer, because he's been a trophy in Melee/Brawl and could have a unique moveset.

I originally wished the Melee clones would return.

Toon Link is deserving of being in Smash 4 as he appeals to those who didn't like the super-realistic Link and prefer Link as a kid and in a more cartoon art style. Plus, I think Link is better with a hookshot and a normal boomerang.

I hate Palutena, her reveal trailer was super predictable and the only reason she is in and has the benefit of completely different customization moves is because Sakurai is over representing the Kid Icarus series. Pit didn't deserve so many buffs/changes either.

I'm fine with Lucina.

Ike sucks in my opinion and Roy should have came back and replaced him with a new moveset.

Snake should return.

I don't understand casuals sometimes, especially when they think Brawl with Items is competitive and they want Smash 4 like that. (Even though I am a casual, I support the competitive scene)

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Oh gosh, where to begin...

- So far, the newcomers are incredibly underwhelming. I don't feel like Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, or Palutena even deserve a roster spot.
- A part of me still thinks Ridley will be a playable character.
- Custom movesets are a terrible idea for Smash.
- Mii Fighters being playable characters defeats the purpose of Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo's All-Stars coming to battle)
- The Gematsu leak is not true whatsoever (is that an unpopular opinion?)
- Roy would've been better to have back as a clone than Lucina.
- Ganondorf will probably be back as a clone (unfortunately).
- I wanted Toon Link, Lucario, Ike, and Zero Suit Samus to be cut.
- Mii Fighters will be the reason we don't get more characters.
- If Donkey Kong only gets one more rep, it should be King K. Rool over Dixie Kong.
- This game is being rushed.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Focusing on a specific numerical quota of newcomers is lunacy.

The number of new characters being added to a game is never an indication of the effort put into the product and often consequentially the quality of the game. Smash Bros had so many ****ty characters like Ness, a character who has a design that stopped working even during the life-span of SSB64 alone, and he's had the same ****ty design for two more games. Then we get Lucas who more or less felt like a patched Ness? I don't buy that. I rather have just fixed what was wrong with Ness instead of adding another character from the same series who is more or less his spiritual successor (where as Ninten is his predecessor).

Yeah, if you ask me, I rather have them fix glaring issues with the existing roster itself before they add new characters. Some characters can't be fixed with numbers alone. Sometimes they need to be reassessed from the ground up. Characters like Bowser, Yoshi and the newer ZSS receiving much-needed redesigns already makes Smash 4 one of the best entries in the series in my book.

The more of the roster that has actual appeal for use as a character, the more variety the product is going to offer a month after release. Not saying those three characters didn't have a user-base (I have a pocket Bowser for competitive play myself), so much as giving the existing character roster as a whole more love increases the likelihood that more characters will receive a closer level of usability.

Of course there should still be newcomers, but they should come after improving the existing roster. How can you even know what gameplay niches need to be filled when the whole roster does not have a working design? Newcomers should be added based on what the game needs, fighting styles that are lacking and what will create the most interesting play experiences in contrast to what already exists.
See, now this person gets it! Before they can add any newcomers, they should fix and upgrade the veterans first! Especially those that suck, like the Mario Bros. and Jigglypuff! That should have been Sakurai's FIRST priority. This is why fans ask for the game to have patches.

That, or make a "Special Turbo Champion Edition."

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
There's too many "energy waves" on the battlefield. I don't mind the little curvy lines that outline certain attacks, but the screen gets too messy once characters start flying.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? When a character gets hit hard, they leave that comet-like trail and I hate it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There's too many "energy waves" on the battlefield. I don't mind the little curvy lines that outline certain attacks, but the screen gets too messy once characters start flying.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? When a character gets hit hard, they leave that comet-like trail and I hate it.
You mean the KO trails? They show up when an opponent gets critically hit and shows which player gets the KO point if said opponent actually hits the blast line. They replace that old smoke trail that used to show up in previous titles.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I really liked the idea of Miis back when I assumed they've have a moveset based on Wii Sports and Wii Play, but now that they're just generic swordsmen, boxers, and Samus, I'm really underwhelmed. I'd almost rather not have them if they're just gonna be "create your own moveset" blank slates.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I really liked the idea of Miis back when I assumed they've have a moveset based on Wii Sports and Wii Play, but now that they're just generic swordsmen, boxers, and Samus, I'm really underwhelmed. I'd almost rather not have them if they're just gonna be "create your own moveset" blank slates.
I actually prefer that they aren't based off of Wii Sports and Wii Play.
Hmm I wonder which is the unpopular opinion here. *Raises eyebrow*

- This game is being rushed.
Of course it is. They can only have they Hype Train running for so long. It's been over a year now that the game was shown off (I believe it was unofficially announced or at least teased in E3 2012), and everyone's already pissed that October isn't Summer. Deadlines man. Nothing you can do about it.
Sure they could delay it, but blood would be shed if they did. Still I find no reason for them to delay. Everything looks solid so far.
Also patching.

- Lucina didn't "waste" a slot, they made a new one just for her. It's pure fanservice that I can totally get behind.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
-I've really become attached to the idea of Chorus Kids/Marshall becoming playable. I admit, I've never played a Rhythm Heaven game before but I feel like they'd be very charming and I like their creative potential. I also really like their character design and speaking of which...

-I'm actually kind of annoyed with the appearance of many of the newcomers so far. Let's compare:

64 "Realistic": :falcon64::link64:
64 "Other": :dk64::fox64::jigglypuff64::kirby64::luigi64::mario64::ness64::pikachu64::samus64::yoshi64:

Melee "Realistic": :ganondorfmelee::marthmelee::peachmelee::roymelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee:
Melee "Other": :bowsermelee::drmario::falcomelee::icsmelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::pichumelee:

Brawl "Realistic": :ike::snake::zerosuitsamus:
Brawl "Other": :charizard::dedede::diddy::ivysaur::lucario::lucas::metaknight::olimar::pit::rob::sonic::squirtle::toonlink::wario::wolf:
SSB4 "Realistic": :4littlemac::4lucina::4mii::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4wiifit:
SSB4 "Other": :4greninja::4megaman::4pacman::4villager:

See what I mean? In the original, most of the characters leaned towards the fantasy side appearance wise and it was very clear that very few of these characters were from the same world. For Melee, it was fairly balanced. For Brawl, there were a lot more characters with unique character designs. For this game, it seems they're largely just anime/human characters and, if you count Villager and Megaman, this game came only has two newcomers so far who aren't distinctly human in their appearance, Greninja and Pac-Man.

I feel like one of the best parts of Smash Bros is bringing together characters from other worlds and, in Brawl, this typically entailed noticeable differences in their character designs. From a glance, you can pretty much tell that Wario and Ness were designed by different people because it's two vastly different takes on the human form. With Little Mac and Robin, not so much. They're certainly different in their fighting style but they really don't push the idea of "worlds colliding" like, say, Greninja vs Pac-Man. So my question is where are the monsters? Where are the creatures? Where are the humans who are so weird looking that you'd probably experience PTSD after meeting them in real life? This being said, I think the character picks this time around have been kind of bland appearance wise.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
You mean the KO trails? They show up when an opponent gets critically hit and shows which player gets the KO point if said opponent actually hits the blast line. They replace that old smoke trail that used to show up in previous titles.
It's too much. It looks ugly too, the smoke at least felt natural and wasn't too in-your-face.

New post:
I'll add that I dislike the anime-looking characters. They don't belong in Smash Bros., and they've been invading like a cancer since Marth and Roy snuck into Melee.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I have a firm belief that the Gematsu Leak is gonna tear the fanbase in half. Judging by the past few weeks.
You know it's bad when you can't have an opinion either positive or negative without someone calling you delusional/a hater.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I hope the Smash 4 tier list is going to be hard to figure out.
The means that people can't tell who is better than who.

I don't have anything against tier lists, don't get me wrong. I just find it easier respect people who pick characters based on their own preference and not on "who's the best". I understand why they do that (blah blah competitive blah blah play to win) but still.

Apollo181

Smash Cadet
-I've really become attached to the idea of Chorus Kids/Marshall becoming playable. I admit, I've never played a Rhythm Heaven game before but I feel like they'd be very charming and I like their creative potential. I also really like their character design and speaking of which...

-I'm actually kind of annoyed with the appearance of many of the newcomers so far. Let's compare:

64 "Other": :dk64::fox64::jigglypuff64::kirby64::luigi64::mario64::ness64::pikachu64::samus64::yoshi64:

Melee "Realistic": :ganondorfmelee::marthmelee::peachmelee::roymelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee:
Melee "Other": :bowsermelee::drmario::falcomelee::icsmelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::pichumelee:

Brawl "Other": :charizard::dedede::diddy::ivysaur::lucario::lucas::metaknight::olimar::pit::rob::sonic::squirtle::toonlink::wario::wolf:
SSB4 "Realistic": :4littlemac::4lucina::4mii::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4wiifit:

See what I mean? In the original, most of the characters leaned towards the fantasy side appearance wise and it was very clear that very few of these characters were from the same world. For Melee, it was fairly balanced. For Brawl, there were a lot more characters with unique character designs. For this game, it seems they're largely just anime/human characters and, if you count Villager and Megaman, this game came only has two newcomers so far who aren't distinctly human in their appearance, Greninja and Pac-Man.

I feel like one of the best parts of Smash Bros is bringing together characters from other worlds and, in Brawl, this typically entailed noticeable differences in their character designs. From a glance, you can pretty much tell that Wario and Ness were designed by different people because it's two vastly different takes on the human form. With Little Mac and Robin, not so much. They're certainly different in their fighting style but they really don't push the idea of "worlds colliding" like, say, Greninja vs Pac-Man. So my question is where are the monsters? Where are the creatures? Where are the humans who are so weird looking that you'd probably experience PTSD after meeting them in real life? This being said, I think the character picks this time around have been kind of bland appearance wise.
Don't worry. We'll get Dixie Kong soon enough.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll add that I dislike the anime-looking characters. They don't belong in Smash Bros., and they've been invading like a cancer since Marth and Roy snuck into Melee.
Well, the games and characters are "Made in Japan". What did you expect?

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
i hate captain falcon ardently and didn't want him in smash 4
i think lucina will be more fun than marth

Last edited:

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
Rayman should've already been in Brawl and returned to this game too. Now that's something unpopular.

Oh and why don't you look at my signature. Had it since I joined.

Last edited:

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I know this is an unpopular opinion thread, but it just seems like an awful lot of whining in here coming from a sense that somebody owes y'all something.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Well, the games and characters are "Made in Japan". What did you expect?

Hey, I would appreciate my opinion being respected!

Nintendo isn't usually associated with anime. If that statement doesn't jive with you, we have nothing to talk about. This is the thread to mindlessly state opinions without any disagreements (i.e. conversational substance), so there's my story ;)

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
I like how Lucina is very similar to Marth.
I always liked clone characters. Best clone in smash history is falco imo. On a noob level he may seem almost identical to fox, but if you start playing him well he looks so different to fox its almost unfair to call him a clone (im talking about melee falco here). Taking a moveset that works very well and changing it slightly so that it works in a completely different way isnt lazy, its genius and efficient.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think Dixie Kong would be a horrible newcomer.

...but then again, I really don't like Diddy, either.

Maybe it's just because I don't like monkeys as animals in general.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I don't see how you could list Peach and Rosalina as "realistic", and Mario, Dr.Mario, and Luigi as "fantasy". They are from the same series, and drawn in the same art style. I would classify the lot of them as fantasy. A 7'8" woman is pretty magical, if ya ask me. Plus, Peach and Rosalina have things like Toad and Luma integrated into their moveset. I also don't see how Miis are "realistic", especially since you can literally make them any way you want. I once saw a Mii with an animated Kirby sprite for a face.

I also don't see how R.O.B is classified as "other", when he is literally a real-life peripheral.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't see how you could list Peach and Rosalina as "realistic", and Mario, Dr.Mario, and Luigi as "fantasy". They are from the same series, and drawn in the same art style. I would classify the lot of them as fantasy. A 7'8" woman is pretty magical, if ya ask me. Plus, Peach and Rosalina have things like Toad and Luma integrated into their moveset. I also don't see how Miis are "realistic", especially since you can literally make them any way you want. I once saw a Mii with an animated Kirby sprite for a face.

I also don't see how R.O.B is classified as "other", when he is literally a real-life peripheral.
Mario, Dr. Mario, and Luigi have noses the size of beef steak tomatoes, big ears, big eyes, and big hands while, appearance wise, Peach and Rosalina look like regular human beings aside from their eyes. For Miis, they are primarily meant to look like regular people. Yes, you can mess around with their faces to make them look like anyting but they were created with the intention of being avatar characters and looking like regular people. For ROB, he's a robot. You're not going to run into a completely autonomous robot in real life so it's clear that he's more than just the NES peripheral in this game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mario, Dr. Mario, and Luigi have noses the size of beef steak tomatoes, big ears, big eyes, and big hands while, appearance wise, Peach and Rosalina look like regular human beings aside from their eyes. For Miis, they are primarily meant to look like regular people. Yes, you can mess around with their faces to make them look like anyting but they were created with the intention of being avatar characters and looking like regular people. For ROB, he's a robot. You're not going to run into a completely autonomous robot in real life so it's clear that he's more than just the NES peripheral in this game.

I've never seen women with bobble heads IRL.

And you do realise that lifelike human androids already exist, right? Making a life size R.O.B ain't that unrealistic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I've never seen women with bobble heads IRL.

And you do realise that lifelike human androids already exist, right? Making a life size R.O.B ain't that unrealistic.
I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say. You're much more likely to run into someone who resembles Peach than the Ice Climbers or Villager. Okay, let's put it this way... if you were to accurately cosplay Peach or Rosalina, you'd largely just have to change clothes. You wouldn't have to make any major alterations to your face or wear a mask and you wouldn't have to add on any extra body parts like wings. Same situation with ROB. You wouldn't run into ROB while walking down the street but you could realistically run into someone who looks like Rosalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom