• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
If Sega doesn't release something good in the next 5 years, yeah, Sonic will be sent to the shadow realm.
Yes, because that totally stopped Megaman. And Pacman since we're using the term "good".
Sonic's not going anywhere.

D

Deleted member

Yes, because that totally stopped Megaman. And Pacman since we're using the term "good".
Last time I checked, the past few mainline Mega Man games were positively received both critically and commercially, so I'd argue the Blue Bomber's future is uncertain rather than nonexistent.

Pac-Man is part of the roster mainly because of Bandai Namco's involvement. Even if you take that away, there's still his iconic status, which he gained solely because of the 1980 arcade classic rather than the lackluster 3D games he's appeared in over the years. On the other hand, the Sonic franchise has become notorious for poor efforts such as Sonic '06 and more recently, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric -- the latter of which was released not far apart from both versions of Smash 4 and was the series' biggest financial bomb yet.

I'm afraid that Sonic's chances of returning aren't looking good. It's not impossible, though. And I do see where you're coming from.

I don't want to turn this into a long-winded debate, but rather give my two cents.

Edit: I somewhat enjoyed Smash Tour. It took some time to grow on me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Last time I checked, the past few mainline Mega Man games were positively received both critically and commercially, so I'd argue the Blue Bomber's future is uncertain rather than nonexistent.

Pac-Man is part of the roster mainly because of Bandai Namco's involvement. Even if you take that away, there's still his iconic status, which he gained solely because of the 1980 arcade classic rather than the lackluster 3D games he's appeared in over the years. On the other hand, the Sonic franchise has become notorious for poor efforts such as Sonic '06 and more recently, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric -- the latter of which was released not far apart from both versions of Smash 4 and was the series' biggest financial bomb yet.

I'm afraid that Sonic's chances of returning aren't looking good. It's not impossible, though. And I do see where you're coming from.

I don't want to turn this into a long-winded debate, but rather give my two cents.

Edit: I somewhat enjoyed Smash Tour. It took some time to grow on me.
I doubt two bad games would gloss over the Mario and Sonic rivalry and the numerous good games that came in between. Especially if one of the bad games is a spinoff that accompanies a show that's apparently doing pretty well. I'm sure Sega will get back on track by the time next Smash comes around.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I love Mega Man's playstyle in theory, but I cant use him because I mainly use non-projectile style. I would have preferred him have kicks and punches like in MVC.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I love Mega Man's playstyle in theory, but I cant use him because I mainly use non-projectile style. I would have preferred him have kicks and punches like in MVC.
I really like his playstyle, stays true to how he plays in his games which I think is great character design. However, this isn't ideal for a fighting game such as Smash, and punches and kicks would make him a lot better. Still gonna main him because Mega Man II and X are some of my favorite games :D

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I think that Smash 4 should be the last game in the series. I don't want Sakurai to keep working on this series cuz it's slowly killing him, but at the same time, I can't imagine the series going on without him.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Roy was top tier?
That's not sarcasm. I really don't know.
Nah, he wasn't.

I think that Smash 4 should be the last game in the series. I don't want Sakurai to keep working on this series cuz it's slowly killing him, but at the same time, I can't imagine the series going on without him.
Maybe Smash 5 can have a new director, but Sakurai can give some advice as too what to put in the game. Of course, he won't have the final say with the game and what not :p

Thor

Smash Champion
Fox's voice has never been better and I hope they recycle these audio clips for any future smash games. Trolling people who hate his voice by repeatedly using Firefox onstage is probably my favorite part of playing Smash FFAs.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Competitive Smash should allow badges

I don't care if Sakurai is running the next Smash or not. Actually, I might prefer if he's not. I'm tried of his philosophy about randomness being fun.

D

Deleted member

Falco's new voice actor is the best he's ever had. On the other hand, I agree with the popular opinion on Fox's, whose performance makes me want to cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
Falco's voice doesn't bother me, it's, in fact I like. Although I miss it had in Brawl

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Fox's voice has never been better and I hope they recycle these audio clips for any future smash games. Trolling people who hate his voice by repeatedly using Firefox onstage is probably my favorite part of playing Smash FFAs.
This is where the Guardians and the Avengers cross the line.

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
- Ridley should never join Smash as a playable character
- Dark Pit should be removed
- Adding Charizard back was a bad idea
- Smash 4 isn't half as fun as Melee and PM
- Mii's are stupid
- Online players suck butt (as in annoying play, not bad)

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Clone characters, I believe, actually do contribute to the game. Even though they may be derived from another character, they largely have quite different playstyles than the character they're derived from. And some characters - like Luigi, Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Falco - are so far from the character they're derived from that they could hardly be called clones.
Is Luigi even a clone any more? I'm not really talking about how he's way different from Mario in newer Smash games (although that is a big part of it), but do they actually start by taking Mario's character data and altering it to get Luigi like they did in 64 (and maybe Melee)?

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice

Pac-Man was the dumbest choice for the namco guest spot. Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia has more relevance with Nintendo, he should've been the Namco guest character.
Tales of Symphonia was originally a gamecube exclusive title, with a sequel on the Wii. He has made multiple appearances in other GBA and Wii games. There's a new Tales game coming out on 3ds in which Lloyd makes another appearance in. Nintendo paid for the english voice actors of Tales of Symphonia. Tales games have similar controls to Smash Bros. He already has more than enough moves to cover both a default moveset and custom moves. He already has alternate costumes they could use. He would be unique from the other Swordsmen because we still have yet to see a character that uses two swords instead of one, and all of his moves are completely different from the other characters in Smash.

That and Pac-Man's entire inclusion was half-assed. The majority of his moveset was just cherry picking from other characters in smash bros with just an added 8-bit sprite just to try cash in on "teh nostalgia bruh". The only move I actually have fun messing with is the fire hydrant, and even that gets old after a while. His WiiU stage is......ok. His 3ds stage is awful. The "remixes" are just the same damn tune that plays in the beginning of a pacman stage repeated over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER GOD ITS SO BLAND. His alt costumes are lazy too. Seriously Namco? Just changing his wrists and Shoes? GEE THATS TOTALLY NOT GOING TO BE CONFUSING IN PACMAN MIRRORS. You could've made recolors based off the ghosts, or hell slap a pretty bow for Ms.Pac-Man. BUT NOPE YOU TOOK THE LAZY WAY.
and what has PacMan done for Nintendo? Nothing! Every other guest has done something for nintendo.

Sonic:
Sonic adventure 1 DX
Sonic adventure 2 battle
Sonic Advance 1-3
Sonic Rush and Rush adventure

Snake
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes

MegaMan
MegaMan 1-10
MegaMan X1-3

so why does PacMan get a free pass?

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman

Pac-Man was the dumbest choice for the namco guest spot. Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia has more relevance with Nintendo, he should've been the Namco guest character.
Tales of Symphonia was originally a gamecube exclusive title, with a sequel on the Wii. He has made multiple appearances in other GBA and Wii games. There's a new Tales game coming out on 3ds in which Lloyd makes another appearance in. Nintendo paid for the english voice actors of Tales of Symphonia. Tales games have similar controls to Smash Bros. He already has more than enough moves to cover both a default moveset and custom moves. He already has alternate costumes they could use. He would be unique from the other Swordsmen because we still have yet to see a character that uses two swords instead of one, and all of his moves are completely different from the other characters in Smash.

That and Pac-Man's entire inclusion was half-*****. The majority of his moveset was just cherry picking from other characters in smash bros with just an added 8-bit sprite just to try cash in on "teh nostalgia bruh". The only move I actually have fun messing with is the fire hydrant, and even that gets old after a while. His WiiU stage is......ok. His 3ds stage is awful. The "remixes" are just the same damn tune that plays in the beginning of a pacman stage repeated over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER GOD ITS SO BLAND. His alt costumes are lazy too. Seriously Namco? Just changing his wrists and Shoes? GEE THATS TOTALLY NOT GOING TO BE CONFUSING IN PACMAN MIRRORS. You could've made recolors based off the ghosts, or hell slap a pretty bow for Ms.Pac-Man. BUT NOPE YOU TOOK THE LAZY WAY.
and what has PacMan done for Nintendo? Nothing! Every other guest has done something for nintendo.

Sonic:
Sonic adventure 1 DX
Sonic adventure 2 battle
Sonic Advance 1-3

Snake

MegaMan
MegaMan 1-10
MegaMan X1-3

Who's Lloyd Irving?

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Don't forget Pac-Man World 3, Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World. Pac-Man and Shulk don't even have a Green costume. Can't they at least alter Pac-Man's skin tone just like Sonic? I'm not too sure about Ms. Pac-Man as an alt a la Olimar/Alph. I would found it a little interesting if one of Pac-Man's alts referenced Idolm@ster as it featured Namco-related accessories including Pac-Man and the ghosts. Don't want to have too many swordsmen...

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
That was a really oddly phrased one.
Would be a tad bit silly for me to overlook the entire statement, especially since the answer is given in the first sentence, as you said. I should have been clear that I was making a point, not looking for an answer, but enough about that.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Would be a tad bit silly for me to overlook the entire statement, especially since the answer is given in the first sentence, as you said..
And yet it happens all the time.... T.T

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight is the best swordsman of the franchise.
Pac Man, Duck Hunt & Wii Fit Trainer were the only good newcomers.
Bowser Jr should have been based of his Super Mario Sunshine appearance.
Doctor Mario is a defensive Mario, he's by no means in the same tier as his counterpart, but he's not bottom, or even low.
TloZ & FE Charas are all unenjoyable to play as, and aren't even good for the most part.
A Boss Rush would be a better idea than an adventure mode.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Sonic:
Sonic adventure 1 DX
Sonic adventure 2 battle
Sonic Advance 1-3

Snake

MegaMan
MegaMan 1-10
MegaMan X1-3

I respect your opnion, but to be fair, Miyamoto made Pac-Man vs. and Pac-Man (along with Ms.Pac-Man, Blinky, and one other Namco character) was also included in the three arcade Mario Karts.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
Wait. There were arcade Mario Karts?
I wouldn't know because the only arcade near where I live removed all the games and replaced them with those machines that are just "PRESS DIS BUTTON GET TICKETZ UR A WINNAH LOL"

Also, play Tales of Symphonia. It's awesome.
THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH!

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Wait. There were arcade Mario Karts?
I wouldn't know because the only arcade near where I live removed all the games and replaced them with those machines that are just "PRESS DIS BUTTON GET TICKETZ UR A WINNAH LOL"
Yep.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom