• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
That i may be one of the only sane Ridley fans for giving up after pyrosphere was revealed as a stage with the Ridley silhouette showing up accompanied with a statement about certain characters showing up as bosses.

Browny

Smash Hater
Falcon is garbage and will eventually be exposed for the mid-tier character he is. The only thing that got buffed from brawl was his sideb everything else is the same or worse. He was bad because he couldnt KO safely and its the same this time round.

Browny

Smash Hater
Remember when ROB and G&W were top tier in Brawl? As in OFFICIAL SBR top tier, because I do.

Then people realised that you can actually like, choose not to die versus those characters. Falcon will eventually be the same. Almost all of his KO moves are too slow, obvious and punishable, only his Uair saves him.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Remember when ROB and G&W were top tier in Brawl? As in OFFICIAL SBR top tier, because I do.

Then people realised that you can actually like, choose not to die versus those characters. Falcon will eventually be the same. Almost all of his KO moves are too slow, obvious and punishable, only his Uair saves him.
I kinda already got that in your first post lol.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
There should be no more Fire Emblem content in Smash 4. Not even Roy (and I mained himin Melee.) Fire Emblem is way overrepresented in this game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This ballot is turning me into a stupid fanboy I once was again. ;-;
None of us were never not stupid fanboys.

Don't act so high and mighty.

And BE THE FANBOY YOU ALWAYS WERE AND WERE ALWAYS MEANT TO BE!

Last edited:

Alses

Smash Apprentice
The reason some people think the pace of this game is slower or faster is because they either fight with perfect blockers or rollers. Shields are way OP in this game so if you fight someone that constantly perfect shields and ukemis, such as myself, they consider their characters too slow and clunky however if fighting someone that rolls more and moves a lot they don't even notice their own end-lag because rolling is easier to manage.
In other words no one wants to play IRL with me anymore in Sm4sh.. I'm stuck on online which annoys me because slight lag makes me not fight perfectly and lvl 9 CPUs are way too easy. I can't believe I'm thinking of getting an amiibo .__.

Edit: Also continuous jabs are extremely clunky and I prefer to use characters that don't have them a lot more.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'd rather take 20's of other characters instead of Isaac.:rolleyes: #megatonunpopular.

Also, Bayonetta in Smash is a unpopular opinion in general. Though much bigger and popular than ever before, and about to get hugely better.:evil:

D

Deleted member

• I think I'm on the same boat as @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 in regards to fanboyism. First of all, in regards to the character I voted for, my mindset has become "I don't care if my character of choice is too unpopular to join the roster! I think his inclusion would be cool!" Secondly, whenever I'm on Twitter, I often retweet others' posts related to certain characters I wanted to be playable as well, but didn't vote for. Among others, these include propaganda from certain indie studios.
  • Speaking of which, I'm fine with indie characters joining the fray, but only a maximum of three. We have our three legendary third party characters already, and I don't want them to be outnumbered by countless lesser known third party characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galactic Knight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightMetaKnight
Although I like the character, I'm not really sure I understand what Greninja is doing in Smash Bros. Was he really that much of a demanded character? Pikachu is the most recognised Pokemon in the franchise, Jigglypuff made a massive appearance in the anime for extended periods of time. Mewtwo was the most infamous and talked about Pokemon of a generation. Lucario became a fan favourite thanks to numerous anime appearances and being in one of the movies. Greninja ???? was made.. and placed in the Smash roster, apparently.

Every other Pokemon seems to have a legitimate reason for being selected, but Greninja just seemed to slime his way out of the mud pond like "Oh, you guys are fighting? Well since I'm here and I have nothing better to do, I'll join in too."

Maybe he was one of the developer's kid's favourite Pokemon or something.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
They should produce more Rosalina, Sheik, Little mac, etc amiibos more then Mario amiibos.

Last edited:

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
Although I like the character, I'm not really sure I understand what Greninja is doing in Smash Bros. Was he really that much of a demanded character? Pikachu is the most recognised Pokemon in the franchise, Jigglypuff made a massive appearance in the anime for extended periods of time. Mewtwo was the most infamous and talked about Pokemon of a generation. Lucario became a fan favourite thanks to numerous anime appearances and being in one of the movies. Greninja ???? was made.. and placed in the Smash roster, apparently.

Every other Pokemon seems to have a legitimate reason for being selected, but Greninja just seemed to slime his way out of the mud pond like "Oh, you guys are fighting? Well since I'm here and I have nothing better to do, I'll join in too."

Maybe he was one of the developer's kid's favourite Pokemon or something.
I agree. GAMEFREAK prebably pushed nintendo to put a XY pokemon on Smash. Politic is present even on gaming.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As much as I support competitive Smash, I think that the moment you start studying matchups and frame data, you've gone too far.
Matchup data, if anything, creates a nocebo effect. Like... If I just happen to be in an unlucky matchup, then I don't want to know that! At least let me have the ILLUSION of winnability!
As for frame data, while I can't speak for the likes of M2K, who I'm pretty sure is a cyborg, we're not computers that can pick things apart sixty times per second during a heated match. Nobody is, and we should really stop expecting ourselves to be.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I hate the terminology smash fans use. Hype, Salty, etc... It's just not funny when everyone is trying to make the same joke. We're melding into one giant annoying community.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
As much as I support competitive Smash, I think that the moment you start studying matchups and frame data, you've gone too far.
Matchup data, if anything, creates a nocebo effect. Like... If I just happen to be in an unlucky matchup, then I don't want to know that! At least let me have the ILLUSION of winnability!
As for frame data, while I can't speak for the likes of M2K, who I'm pretty sure is a cyborg, we're not computers that can pick things apart sixty times per second during a heated match. Nobody is, and we should really stop expecting ourselves to be.
Having the illusion of winning isn't necessarily a good thing.
Trust me I'm a Kyo clone, I would know

But really tho, imo having the illusion that you will go into battle and at least win will only make you more disappointed when you do loose.

But I can definitely see where you are coming from. Having that illusion, you probably won't go into a match thinking: "Ugh, do I really have to be matched with 'X' charatcer? :ohwell: And probably play sluggishly knowing you probably won't win.

Also, I agree no one should is expect everyone to know how to read raw frame data and memorize that ****, because really, that's just stupid lol :p
But then again, I don't anyone that really does expect that of many people, besides m2k :p

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I hate the terminology smash fans use. Hype, Salty, etc... It's just not funny when everyone is trying to make the same joke. We're melding into one giant annoying community.
Thames are actually fighting game terms in general.

If you feel it's a problem, than its much bigger than smash.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I think a lot of it stems from the people who got into competitve/more interested in it after watching the Documentary. I like that it brought in more people, but at the same time I think a lot of the people just watched it and instantly wanted to be a pro, and just started throwing around the terminology whenever possible. "Hype", "salty", "no johns", and all that. Just saying it for the sake of saying it to look like you know all about competitive Smash.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
Thames are actually fighting game terms in general.

If you feel it's a problem, than its much bigger than smash.
Thats even bigger then fighting games. I see those same things been said by my Moba Player friends and those who are part of the Starcraft comunity. Its more of a gaming expression.

Now my unpopular opinion: I F******* HATE THE FACT THAT LUCAS IS COMING OUT OF NOWHERE. He was better there.
Not becouse hes a "clone" (almost no clone plays the same as HIS "original") but becouse I DONT like the caracter.
Also...
I DONT LIKE MEWTWO! If it was to put a DLC character I'd prefer Ice Climbers, Wolf or a newcomer.
Yet I'll buy him. I didn't LIKE Pit in Brawl and now in Ssb4 he's my main. I know I'm a weard person.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I think a lot of it stems from the people who got into competitve/more interested in it after watching the Documentary. I like that it brought in more people, but at the same time I think a lot of the people just watched it and instantly wanted to be a pro, and just started throwing around the terminology whenever possible. "Hype", "salty", "no johns", and all that. Just saying it for the sake of saying it to look like you know all about competitive Smash.
This is almost exactly the reason i dislike it. It's so transparent that someone is trying the best to fit in when they are saying these things. I mean not all the time, but for the most part to me it shows that that person won't have anything interesting or unique to say. It's more of a personal pet peeve though, i understand it's not a real problem.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I still don't really feel like that answered my question regarding Greninja's appearance in Smash. Sakurai can be so vague whilst giving 'detailed' answers.
Greninja is in Smash 4 because it was mandated that a new Pokemon rep was added to the game. It's as simple as that.

At E3 2014, Sakurai shared that most of the initial roster was established early in development that mandated a new Pokémon character, before Pokémon X and Y was announced. He worked very closely with Pokémon's developers to create Greninja, but most of its moveset was improvised due to Sakurai's only reference being Game Freak's conceptual artwork.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to mention any particular character and I just want to vent this.

I just can't believe how people are voting for such impossible characters, this is not hope it's entirely delusional and it's beyond ridiculous, even if nintendo made an oficial statement with "(insert unlikely character) will NEVER be in smash" these people will be in denial and pull a weak reasoning like "well maybe nintendo is joking, lol imagine if a week later they release X as DLC xD". Get real people.

One thing is to like a character and support it even if he has no chance, and other is truly believe he had chance and convince other people to vote for that bs character. Worst thing is that some of this impossible characters are popular, good thing is there is at least some viable options on the top.

Example, using a character no one wants.
GUYS vote for subzero! You know subzero was on the snes/n64 so he had chance, I bet nintendo could make it work they just have to tone it down, they wont ruin it making subzero kid friendly I swear.

Galactic Knight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightMetaKnight
Greninja is in Smash 4 because it was mandated that a new Pokemon rep was added to the game. It's as simple as that.
Then my initial opinion regarding his inclusion still stands. Though it's not the first time I felt an obscure choice was made over a more obvious fighter. Greninja is probably the most obscure in recent memory.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
What @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 and @KingBro1 said about being a fanboy is really resonating with me right now. After the ballot came out, my inner Spyro fanboy unleashed itself (Out of all my favorite video game characters, he's the only one not in Smash). And for some reason, I'm tempted to start campaigning for him even though I know he has a small chance of getting in. The fanboy in me is motivating me to keep pushing for it. I'm afraid what's going to happen once I have access to Photoshop again tomorrow...

Also, I wish Sakurai asked for more information about Greninja when making him so that his smashes wouldn't feel so generic.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
What @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 and @KingBro1 said about being a fanboy is really resonating with me right now. After the ballot came out, my inner Spyro fanboy unleashed itself (Out of all my favorite video game characters, he's the only one not in Smash). And for some reason, I'm tempted to start campaigning for him even though I know he has a small chance of getting in. The fanboy in me is motivating me to keep pushing for it. I'm afraid what's going to happen once I have access to Photoshop again tomorrow...

Also, I wish Sakurai asked for more information about Greninja when making him so that his smashes wouldn't feel so generic.
Water swords are generic?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This ballot and seeing so many votes for various individuals makes me realise I'd be cool with nearly any character. Character's I was previously against, I see some worth in now. I feel like there's no video game character I'd be seriously disappointed with...

...except Geno that is.

I still don't get the darkhorse popularity of this one time character who once was lucky enough to get a cameo in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

I honestly believe he's the least worthwhile Nintendo choice. Not even because I want a different Mario rep even; I get the appeal of Daisy or Waluigi or hell even getting a third Mario in Paper Mario, I just don't get why this one time partner is getting so much support behind him.

Mallow doesn't get this sort of support, none of the Paper Mario sidekicks have this sort of support...what makes Geno so special?

This isn't even me just being snide; it's a genuine question, if anyone can explain it to me I'd be grateful. I've been scratching my head about this since Brawl.

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Most of the troll suggestions being handed to the Smash Ballot annoy me to no end. Probably because we'll get more of those instead of legitimate character suggestions for DLC which could give Sakurai the impression that we're clearly not taking this seriously because of the endless amounts of morons suggesting that we add Goku or Shrek into the game.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Most of the troll suggestions being handed to the Smash Ballot annoy me to no end. Probably because we'll get more of those instead of legitimate character suggestions for DLC which could give Sakurai the impression that we're clearly not taking this seriously because of the endless amounts of morons suggesting that we add Goku or Shrek into the game.
Do you actually think Sakurai is that stupid?

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
I get so angry when I see/hear/read about people wanting basically clones (despite how much they will argue how different the character is) as DLC. WE HAVE A CHANCE TO BRING COMPLETELY NEW CONTENT TO THE GAME. Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were put in because of lack of space, fine, whatever. But all this ******** for lucas just took up a slot, and now people are clamoring for Daisy/Wolf? REALLY? Get someone who can completely change the game, not just "Well i liked wolf more than fox in brawl". Think about the community, not just your damn belly button.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I voted Porky to be in smash, it would be nice to have an Earthbound/Mother character that isn't Ness or Lucas
But my vote's probably been drowned out by all the requests for Shrek and Freddy (yup, that is seriously a thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom