• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unspoken international customs?

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

So I have been playing a fair amount of Smash Bros for the Wii U online. I live in Alaska and I have noticed that during the night time my opponents become almost exclusively Japanese. I like versing against Japanese opponents because for the most part it seems like almost an entirely different game, when compared to my U.S. peers. I have, however, noticed some quite distinguishable differences between playing people that have english tags compared to people that have Japanese tags.

The biggest difference that I have noticed is that players with English tags will (for the most part) almost always re-match you and play over and over again, regardless of disparaging skill level differences. Sometimes with a person who I am almost certain is American, we will play over and over again even if one of us is whooping the other pretty hard. When I play Japanese players, however, I almost always notice that (regardless of skill level), they will almost never que up for a second match or third match. Also, the difference between my Japanese opponent and me almost always seems to be incredible, in that I am usually either MUCH better than them or they are MUCH better than me. Has anyone else noticed similar results in the online play of this game, in regards to Japanese/international play?

Last edited:

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed essentially the same thing. However, recently, whenever a Japanese person joins my room, they almost always leave. For some reason, they really don't seem to want to fight, sometimes going as far as to SD right when the match starts.

Perhaps it's because of increased input lag because of the distance? I'm honestly not sure.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Try this build up a large stock count so you have the ribbons or medals or whatever next to your name. If a Japanese opponent connects and sees this they more often that not back out before the game. It's strange

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Pretty sure Japanese players often disconnect like that because they don't want to play with a lot of input lag.

I do the same thing when I run into Japanese players--I either do a match and then quit, or just quit right then and there.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've had Japanese players who quit before the match, and ones that stick around for 5+ games. I think once they see romanized characters, they think "lag". I've had good connection with Japanese players and I live on the East coast so it's hard to tell.

I've also noticed the trend that they are either really good or really bad. They way they play is hard to read as well.

Top Bottom