• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-air: Amazing potential but very difficult to time.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I would post this in the Falco techniques thread but none of you ever read that.

I'm studying the question in this moment, but i believe that un-sweetspotted Uair has more potential that we all think.

Not to mention that using it more could save Bair and Dair for the kill. :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
A not sweetspotted up air can go into anything as a combo, on the ground or in the air.

On the ground you can do an short hopped fast falled up air, and if timed right without sweet spot, they are stunned for long enough to get a free hit or grab(except for f-smash and another shff-ed up air) This works if they are falling right when they hit the ground and if both of you are standing on the ground. Watch out for shield grabs though. Try to jump through them when you do it.

In the air, I have done weak up air to: jumping back air, jumping spike, jumping neutral air, jumping forward air, and falling up air(not fast falling) with all of them combo-ing(i.e. they can't get out).

However, there is a catch. The timing for this move is incredibly difficult to hit. I believe it is the end of the up air flip animation which has this hit, so you need to be just directly below them and have the normal up air hit through them and the weak one would come down into them or time their fast fall into it. Testing would be nice.
Edit: after watching Hylian's video vs ROB(only video source I have of a not sweet spotted up air besides on my wii) I see it hitting with the beginning of the up air for it to be not sweet spotted and the enemy's hurt box(I guess if you want to call it that) has to not be where the top of the up air is. Will do more testing tomorrow to see if it ever hits twice and damage test it.

This is separate. There is a weird property about Falco's back air that pulls him up walls during his second jump. Go to Final Destination, run off the ledge, and immediately up air. Try with your best timing possible to jump to stand on the stage, it will not work.
Now do the up air and jump for the stage, but this time use a rising back air. It will pull you onto the stage. I find this to be a nice surprising ledge guard seeing as Falco fights on the stage and it spends the minimal amount off of the stage. Getting them above the ledge, even if it doesn't kill, is what you want as Falco. If you get lucky, it would do an unsweetspotted up air and you can combo into a rising spike. Now isn't that nice.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I noticed this same thing in practicing. I usually throw it out to juggle once or twice if I can, and it's also nice to catch your opponent off guard. How I do it is connect with the middle of Falco's body rather than his feet. I covered it briefly in my guide:

Up Air
Damage: (11%)
Priority: Good. [Blad01]
Range: Short, but with the great vertical momentum Falco can build, this attack is fairly easy to connect with.
Knockback: Good if you connected with the tips of his feet. You can also hit near the middle of your body, in which case your opponent just gets juggled up a bit.
Startup Lag: Very little.
End Lag: Very little.
Notes: Hitting near the middle of your body with this attack can throw an opponent off and give you an opportunity for a kill.
I'll try out that rising back air thing off the edge, sounds interesting, thanks.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I've tried doing falling up airs, but it seems like some characters can avoid the next hit. Did you test it on a bunch of characters all trying to get out with rolling, shield or jumping?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I didn't try it on a bunch of characters but on the ground in almost sure it works 100% of the time into a combo if connected with it not sweet spotted. Ground weak up air is a hell of a lot easier to land than an aerial weak up air. Because of that reason, I haven't been able to test it.

In the air there are 2 different scenarios to hit with it. Rising and Falling.(duh) each one has its own combo potential. i.e. rising up air to spike or falling up air to jump+back kick.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
yea I only use up air to chase them in the air but I rely more on my nair for the fact that it is good for setting up for combos and leads to any other move (even the laser lock but thats kinda gay). Also if you bait your opponent off his shield you can fast fall a nair straight to his up smash which is guarantee to work.

But I would have to agree up air has potential which can lead to air combos againsts characters like snake and D3

LinkPrime1

Smash Rookie
This is separate. There is a weird property about Falco's back air that pulls him up walls during his second jump. Go to Final Destination, run off the ledge, and immediately up air. Try with your best timing possible to jump to stand on the stage, it will not work.
Now do the up air and jump for the stage, but this time use a rising back air. It will pull you onto the stage. I find this to be a nice surprising ledge guard seeing as Falco fights on the stage and it spends the minimal amount off of the stage. Getting them above the ledge, even if it doesn't kill, is what you want as Falco. If you get lucky, it would do an unsweetspotted up air and you can combo into a rising spike. Now isn't that nice.
Haha, I use this already. I figured it was just the double jump getting Falco over though. What I presonally use it for is when attacking people hanging on the edge. They climb up to avoid the hit, and the Bair still connects because of the momentum when Falco gets pulled up and over the stage.

Not sure how else to explain it, but there's another use for it.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
A not sweetspotted up air can go into anything as a combo, on the ground or in the air.
Lol, you're welcome ^^

But yeah, Weak Uair has a pretty strange hitbox... It's hard to pull it off constantly. :s

Anyway, good thread :)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Need to do more testing but from what i've seen at 150%, multiple Up-airs combo into side smash at 200%

It's pretty safe against characters who don't have instant(i.e. metaknight's is too slow) down smashes if you time it to land behind them each time. if connected, it goes into a slightly charged down smash, Upsmash, grab, jab-> grab, whatever your heart desires.

Top Bottom