• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up+B canceling questions

Zyzyx77

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen a thread on this so here goes.

What are some good times to actually use an Up+B Cancel?

Can you actually use it as an efficient combo starter?

What are its main uses in general?

This is only here because I could not find any info on this topic, and I am not sure about its uses. Any help and tips would appreciated. Thanks in advance.:chuckle:

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
People use it out of shield against shield pressure, apparently.

It probably should be fairly low on your list of things to learn, but it's an interesting party trick.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I haven't seen a thread on this so here goes.

What are some good times to actually use an Up+B Cancel?

Can you actually use it as an efficient combo starter?

What are its main uses in general?

This is only here because I could not find any info on this topic, and I am not sure about its uses. Any help and tips would appreciated. Thanks in advance.:chuckle:
- never. Theoretically you could use it as an escape from pressure on FD, but any player good enough that you would need to up-b cancel them OoS... will probably ban FD vs you. It blows on every other stage. Doc's up b is REALLY GOOD, especially when you have platforms to hide under/land on once it's done. The cancel limits the move so much.

- sort of but dont worry about it (paging tempset to the thread...)

- showing off between stocks or when the tree/rock come up on Stadium

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
There are plenty of topics about up+b canceling. >.>

I wouldnt say there's NO use for it, but you have to be pretty consistent to get the use out of it. I mean, it's a good way to get pressure from a FFer off of you and NOT get punished for hitting them (as opposed to just up+bing, where you still run the risk of getting punished for it, especially if they know how to DI out of up+b).

edit: cause I was watching vids this morning.

I mean, you tell people to never up+b cancel, but then you wind up with stuff like this happening

There's use to it, you just have to be dumb consistent with it.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
There are plenty of topics about up+b canceling. >.>

I wouldnt say there's NO use for it, but you have to be pretty consistent to get the use out of it. I mean, it's a good way to get pressure from a FFer off of you and NOT get punished for hitting them (as opposed to just up+bing, where you still run the risk of getting punished for it, especially if they know how to DI out of up+b).

edit: cause I was watching vids this morning.

I mean, you tell people to never up+b cancel, but then you wind up with stuff like this happening

There's use to it, you just have to be dumb consistent with it.

well yeah, in that vid there was no platform above him. if that was yoshis, dl64, battlefield, or fod, falco would have landed on the top platform and not been able to punish.

it's all just further reason stadium is doc's worst neutral :cool:

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Man now you're gunna make me fish through vids to find docs getting punished for up+bing with platforms above them.

And I'm already over here being shocked and amazed that shroomed beat SS, regardless of how SS was (or wasnt) playing.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
you can get punished for anything in this game :urg: upb doesnt have to be the be all end all, but its definitely better than up b cancel... i know some of my **** is controversial but just let me have this one lol

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'm not trying to step on your toes, and realistically, I'm somewhat agreeing with you, but I just don't think that up+b canceling is as flat-out useless as you make it seem.

I just think that, for it to be of use, you have to have the kind of precision that 95% of the Doc players dont have.

I've actually known a Doc player who could up+b cancel pretty much everytime without fail. I would get mad as hell watching him play with how much he's allowed to get away with because of it. But I've never seen ANY doc who could cancel as consistently as he could. Not me, not $mac, not boss, not greenmario, NOBODY had that kinda consistency.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
wow, that's a name I havent seen in a while. XD

Yeah, Mario's up+b walljump has a fairly huge window to it. The difficulty really comes from WHERE you do it (i.e., trying to do it on Dreamland).

Doc's up+b cancel is pretty much frame specific.

It's only natural.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I thought it was like... one? Frame? Window?

God it's early. And cold. And Kingdom Hearts II is frustrating. Rawr.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
- sort of but dont worry about it (paging tempset to the thread...)
this thing *****. jab reset upbcancel best doc combo in the world. use it at any opportunity, taunt with it, kill with it, just do it :laugh:

all it takes is one flubbed DI from the opponent and suddenly you can pull off upthrow upb cancel to fair like a champ like me. and that really makes the opponent feel bad, which is really what this whole game is about ya know? who cares about winning as long as you make your opponent feel like a ******. :lick:

TresChikon

Smash Lord
How do you do the Up-B cancel?
This

10dogys

Quick crash course. *Points to keyboard* with respect to player 1 side, 5 = neutral. I'll say left and right instead of down and back

So
1 = downleft,
2 = down,
3 = downright,
4 = left,
5 = neutral,
6 = right,
7 = upleft,
8 = up,
9 = upright

looks like this
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3
___

Ok, most people say up+b cancelling is a 2 input command, as in, you do up+b in one direction (7 (upleft) for example), and on frame four, you have to press 3(downright).

Up+a direction, down + opposite direction.

What got lost in translation over time is the fact that you cant ever pass through neutral while doing this (or it's recommended that you dont)

The actual input for this is

1) up+one direction (left)
2) down+THE SAME DIRECTION**(left)
3) down+the opposite direction.

** The same direction being the key part. If you go through the middle (which is what you do if you go in a straight line), you run the risk of going the opposite direction first too early, and you just up+bing the other direction instead of up+b cancelling.

It's actually talked about in alot of old, dead threads (i read one of super doodle man's posts specifically), but it just got lost in translation over time.

___

TL;DR

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3 < that's your analog stick

You guys are doing this

7 8 9
5 6
1 2
3 < THIS **** IS ASKING FOR FAILURE.

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3 < DO THIS ONE INSTEAD.

I'M GOIN TO SLEEP MIKE G.

Mushinronsha

Smash Cadet
I was just watching some Youtube videos and some people are mad consistent. Would anyone who can actually do this be willing to put up a video of their hands or something? The diagrams in this thread are helpful, but I don't know how fast it should be executed (and yes, obviously as fast as possible). This isn't like feeling out a wavedash. This is like mind torture.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
easy way that will not need a video:

1. face your character towards the right side of the screen

2. reverse up B, putting your analog stick at around the equivalent of 10:30

3. bring the analog stick straight down.

so easy.

Top Bottom