• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up B is a spike or meteor?

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
Alright, confused as crap, is Up B a spike or a meteor? Trying to use it to combo etc, if it Spikes/Meteors them down, is it possible for them to DI out? My friend was not able to when I played him but it was ultralaggy so I'm not sure if he was actually trying to DI it.

Anyway, continuing on, I've been utilting out of the Spike downward by B-up, then I end up uairing or usmashing if they fall down far enough, any suggestions on how to make this more effective?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
It's something halfway between a spike and a meteor. Spike, because you can't meteor cancel it, but meteor, because you can recover afterwards. Confusing, huh?

Rykard

Smash Ace
its interesting to use off the ledge since its very hard to do without adding your second jump into it and you go flying up in the process if you use it on accident.

it definitely can spike/meteor smash at high percentages

as for making the move more effective on the stage you can air chase with the up b if your opponent doesnt air dodge and that could lead into another up tilt and whatnot. also if it brings them down to the stage and they do not tech, you can down smash and then grab or whatever

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
Semi-spikes are really attacks that have a more downward trajectory than usual, but still have mostly horizontal knockback. Zero Suit's up+b is just a super weak spike, like Zelda's melee dair, I guess. So, to answer the original question, I believe it's just a weak spike, though I'm not sure there's really any distinction, as I've yet to see anyone meteor cancel in Brawl <_<

I'm not sure what you meant by DI out of it... you can't DI out of the first couple of weak hits before the spike, I don't think, since they have effectively no knockback, but you can DI the downward send of the spike to either side. Which is why I would suggest that you use dtilt after the spike, instead of utilt, since it has more horizontal range. You might still be able to land an utilt afterwards, I don't know, but I always use dtilt anyway, as I tend to use utilt more often as a generic combo launcher (old marth habits die hard, you know...)

Top Bottom