• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B is your friend

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
never post a video of yourself ever again. the way you play is horrible, with your triple jump aerials it just shows that you dont know what your talking about. also that Samus prolly doesnt even know what DI is nor most likely you either.

on topic, that move kills at least at 120% depending on the map and how good the guy DIs, unless you are a nub, it doesnt kill at 80%.

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
never post a video of yourself ever again. the way you play is horrible, with your triple jump aerials it just shows that you dont know what your talking about. also that Samus prolly doesnt even know what DI is nor most likely you either.

on topic, that move kills at least at 120% depending on the map and how good the guy DIs, unless you are a nub, it doesnt kill at 80%.
That was a little rough dude, there isnt any reason for you to flame him. Sure he may not be good, But the game has only been out for a week, so its kinda hard to call anyone a nub. So yea, go troll another forum and let the kid get better without you making him feel like a sack of ****.

Oh, and Gamebattles blows for Smash. Stick to the SWF friend finder if you want a challenge

Reported for rude commenting.

R0cket

Smash Apprentice

Get a grip dude. First post a vid of you battling, then you can flame again. I'm just contributing. -_-
And I actually do know how to DI, but I think it's every humans natural reaction to tilt his control stick into the opposite direction you're flying. Or trying to DI out of something.

Besides, it's hard to do fancy combos if you get 1-2 seconds input lag over WiFi.

tl;dr: stfu, gtfo

Edit: Oh, and if you still insist on being uber-pro so you get the right to bash anyone, we could settle that online.

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
Get a grip dude. First post a vid of you battling, then you can flame again. I'm just contributing. -_-
And I actually do know how to DI, but I think it's every humans natural reaction to tilt his control stick into the opposite direction you're flying. Or trying to DI out of something.

Besides, it's hard to do fancy combos if you get 1-2 seconds input lag over WiFi.

tl;dr: stfu, gtfo

Edit: Oh, and if you still insist on being uber-pro so you get the right to bash anyone, we could settle that online.
ok i have no problem battling you online, i dont have this game but i play it almost everyday at a friends house, so i will hook it up, also i live in Italy, so thier is at least a 6 hour time difference between us, but if you are still up for it, ok.

and maybe i will get a capcha-card and post some videos.

also DI isnt just pushing in the opposite direction, its when you get hit and as soon as you do you push the control stick in a certain direction, not just the opposite. so that you go the way you want to. it isnt as easy as you think.

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Umpy, constructive criticism and friendly advice make people better. Flaming them doesn't.

The world doesn't change because you're angry about it, it changes when you go forth and actively attempt to change it, and it's sure as hell more willing to change when you're nice about it.

DI can even be holding towards where you're being hit so that you escape from your foe faster for a projectile spammer ;)

Will you at least try to work on being a bit friendlier to people who certainly don't deserve that kind of harsh rebuke?

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
ok i have no problem battling you online, i dont have this game but i play it almost everyday at a friends house, so i will hook it up, also i live in Italy, so thier is at least a 6 hour time difference between us, but if you are still up for it, ok.

and maybe i will get a capcha-card and post some videos.

also DI isnt just pushing in the opposite direction, its when you get hit and as soon as you do you push the control stick in a certain direction, not just the opposite. so that you go the way you want to. it isnt as easy as you think.
Actually you're 2-5 hours away from me, I'm Austrian. That also means we're in the same time zone. Don't worry, I'll record them too.

Edit: Yes, I know you can DI in every direction you want, away/towards your opponent, away/towards the stage etc. etc.. I just didn't want to list everything, since I think that everyone knows what DI is.

So, Usea, you got AIM/MSN or anything?

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
This thread has really gone off topic.

If used right, it can kill at 80%
Quoted for truthfulness. I watched the video, and the last two kills with the Shuttle Loop were legitimate 80% kills, probably regardless of whatever the opponent used for DI.

As for the off-topic discussion:
I see some promise in you, R0cket. You have quite a bit to go for improvements, but I did notice several good things. You seem pretty new to Meta Knight, or possibly smash in general (no offense intended if I'm wrong), but I liked that you were playing with almost all of MK's moves, particularly the tilts and aerials. Playing with them is how you get an actual feel for what works and what doesn't. You also comboed fairly well.

A few tips based on what I saw:

- Use Mach Tornado a bit more.
- This is one of the most important ones. Practice your spacing. Start with a level 1-4 computer and practice. It does wonders for you. Learn to DI backwards as you fair to possibly avoid attacks that outprioritize you or to prevent shield grabbing.
- Move. Always be moving. And try to be in the air when you're attacking, but don't flap around...MK has very awkward movement in the air.
- Learn various approaches. You have grabs, sh aerials, dash attack, Mach Tornado, Drill Rush...there's a thread on it with more detail.
- This is THE most important one. Find someone better to play against. If that Samus is a friend, then try to find a way to help him/her improve their game because that Samus really was no good, unfortunately. Playing people better than you is the best way to learn new strategies and develop a personal playstyle.

Good luck with MK!

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
This thread has really gone off topic.

Quoted for truthfulness. I watched the video, and the last two kills with the Shuttle Loop were legitimate 80% kills, probably regardless of whatever the opponent used for DI.

As for the off-topic discussion:
I see some promise in you, R0cket. You have quite a bit to go for improvements, but I did notice several good things. You seem pretty new to Meta Knight, or possibly smash in general (no offense intended if I'm wrong), but I liked that you were playing with almost all of MK's moves, particularly the tilts and aerials. Playing with them is how you get an actual feel for what works and what doesn't. You also comboed fairly well.

A few tips based on what I saw:

- Use Mach Tornado a bit more.
- This is one of the most important ones. Practice your spacing. Start with a level 1-4 computer and practice. It does wonders for you. Learn to DI backwards as you fair to possibly avoid attacks that outprioritize you or to prevent shield grabbing.
- Move. Always be moving. And try to be in the air when you're attacking, but don't flap around...MK has very awkward movement in the air.
- Learn various approaches. You have grabs, sh aerials, dash attack, Mach Tornado, Drill Rush...there's a thread on it with more detail.
- This is THE most important one. Find someone better to play against. If that Samus is a friend, then try to find a way to help him/her improve their game because that Samus really was no good, unfortunately. Playing people better than you is the best way to learn new strategies and develop a personal playstyle.

Good luck with MK!
Finally a usefull respond.

Although I have Brawl since the japanese release, Smash in general is still relatively new to me. At least comptetive Smash. Sure, I played Melee with my brother once in a while, but that's it. It's just that here in Austria a comptetive scene is almost non-existant. Now that there's WiFi, I can finally train and try to become more comptetive. Although the lag doesn't really help with that. Hoepefully there will be a big european scene when it's released here.

To your tips:

-Yeah, I've been experimenting with Mach Tornado. Sometimes I use it more, sometimes less. If I fight bigger chars I tend to use it more, because it seems that you can hold them in the tornado more easily (it's just my impression, correct me if I'm wrong)

-I've never really thought much about spacing or even practiced it. I guess it's time to do so now..

-I'll keep the flapping thing in mind.

-I'm experimenting with approaches, but I guess it's just some habit of me to be a bit too repetitive. I'm trying to change that already.

-That Samus was just some plain random Gamebattles match. Nothing special. I have a very good Kirby player at my side to train with. With the European release I hope to find someone not too far away, so I can train lagless.

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
Actually you're 2-5 hours away from me, I'm Austrian. That also means we're in the same time zone. Don't worry, I'll record them too.

Edit: Yes, I know you can DI in every direction you want, away/towards your opponent, away/towards the stage etc. etc.. I just didn't want to list everything, since I think that everyone knows what DI is.

So, Usea, you got AIM/MSN or anything?
Austria is a beautiful country, love it there.

just send a PM when you want to do it, and i will see if it is cool or not.

Entropy

Smash Cadet
At 39 seconds in that video, was that a footsool jump?

If so, isn't that supposed to be a meteor smash? It doesn't look very useful at all, since MK fell SO slowly...

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
Austria is a beautiful country, love it there.

just send a PM when you want to do it, and i will see if it is cool or not.
PM sent.

Entropy said:
At 39 seconds in that video, was that a footsool jump?

If so, isn't that supposed to be a meteor smash? It doesn't look very useful at all, since MK fell SO slowly...
Yup, footstool jump. It's not useful on characters with multiple jumps, but if you manage to land it on someone who is below stage level it can be useful.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Up-B, Theres some good and bad. I'll compare it to my personal favorite, the nair.

Pros(Upb)

Fast
Good knockback
Recovery
Auto Glide

Cons

No damage
Auto Glide
Can't Use too far off the edge

Pros(nair)

Fast
Good Knockback
Damage
Can use off edge
Killing move

Cons

None to speak of.

I'd Rather use the Nair, but for range/recovery go for up-b

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
Up-B, Theres some good and bad. I'll compare it to my personal favorite, the nair.

Pros(Upb)

Fast
Good knockback
Recovery
Auto Glide

Cons

No damage
Auto Glide
Can't Use too far off the edge

Pros(nair)

Fast
Good Knockback
Damage
Can use off edge
Killing move

Cons

None to speak of.

I'd Rather use the Nair, but for range/recovery go for up-b
Cons

Nair doesn't come out as fast
If not hit right, almost no Knockback
Have to be almost IN the enemy for it to hit properly

Timeaisis

Smash Cadet
I find myself not using Nair as much as his other aerials, probably because, like someone said above me, you have to be IN your opponenent, and most of the time for me it has very little knockback.

Azzizaz

Smash Apprentice
You used D Smash too much when they were low percent as a damage builder. You don't want the knock back to decrease from use do you? The Samus player was also terrible. Meh, you weren't bad, but you're definitely far from the best MK I've seen.

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
You used D Smash too much when they were low percent as a damage builder. You don't want the knock back to decrease from use do you? The Samus player was also terrible. Meh, you weren't bad, but you're definitely far from the best MK I've seen.
Never said I was the best.
The thing with the dsmash spamming is, it's hard to play with 2 seconds of input delay. It often happens that you use dsmash once, but it follows with another dsmash since you pressed the A button again directly after the first time.
It's also hard to combo or anything, you're really limited in your fighting style.

Top Bottom