• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up B out of shield!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Alright, well I used to practice against level 9s, and one thing I remember about level 9 Ganon is his near-perfect accuracy with Up B, and the massive amount of range that move had. I'm sure most of you know how extremely annoying this move is. Many times when edguarding Ganon players I think I'm out of his range, and then I somehow get pulled into his Up B anyway.

So I decided to add this move to my gameplay. When your opponent attacks your shield, or any other time the opportunity presents itself, simply Up B out of shield. It's pretty much a guaranteed hit, and it's good for creating some space and annoying the hell out of your opponents. It has an insane amount of range so you should have no problem landing it unless you get hit out of the startup animation.

I don't spam it or anything like Bowser's Up B out of shield, but I've found it to be a very useful tactic. Anyone else use this? Do you think it's a good idea? Post your feedback about this technique plz. :)

EDIT: This is NOT to aim at people in the air, only on the ground. If you want to go for an air one, go for it lol. Just more risky.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I REALLY dislike this move, I'm marth, its really only ganon's defensive when I'm perfectly placing my f-airs into his sheild..he up-bs right into me and gains the advantage.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Sorry 56; No.

While yes, the UP+B is unexpected, and can grab through the shield, it's hard to aim coming out of a shield. And if you miss, you're screwed.

Which is why you should stick to jabs. Jabs and Uairs.

Hell, I think the Nair would be more useful. :-?

I'm not saying it will never work, but keep in mind you were talking about computer players. If you miss, a human player will punish you pretty badly.

Like I said, I'm not saying it can't work. It's just that the odds are against you.

I would say: Useful: Moderately low.

Keep it in your "mindgames" bag.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lol, I think you misunderstood part of it. I use it during the same times that I can shield grab. There's no need to aim. I never aim at people who are in the air, that's just crazy. For example, if a Samus dash attacks my shield. As long as they're on the ground near you and you're shielding, you can do it. You know how a Link player can use Up B out of shield when someone's nearby, this is the same thing. Of course it has huge range, so sometimes you can grab them even if they're not touching you. I'm not saying to use it all the time of course, but it actually does work. Just like (nearly) every other technique, this can be punished.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Sometimes when they're out of my grab range after they hit my shield.

I think it is actually somewhat useful in the air, because it has monstrous aerial priority and range during the first few moments of the move. It also frustrates your opponents really badly. They throw their reliable Dair, Fair, Nair, or Bair at you only to be grabbed out of it.

Good when they're at high damage and desperately trying to land hits.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Good when they're at high damage and desperately trying to land hits.
QFT. I've recently mixed this more into my gameplay. Its amazing how many people forget you can UpB out of shield, and the extra reach it has on the startup is perfect when someone tries to be cute and space away from the shieldgrab.

I find I use it most when someone hops behind me when they are trying to avoid getting SG'd. Quick reverse UpB throws them right off.

Granted, its only effective when used sparingly.

Me14k

Smash Lord
being that against floaties at 150+ near edge it kills (no DI) its a pretty good mind game. If the other person doesnt expect it, its gonna be tough to DI

Magus420

Smash Master
Like it's been mentioned it's very good for when they are out of your grab range, but don't have enough lag to be punished with an aerial out of shield. As Pointman Rob said, I too find myself using it most when someone crosses up through my shield. I also tend to use it more often against shorter chars that are hard to hit with a shorthop u-air or b-air on the way up.

Something to note is that you have a little bit of control on the move during the startup that lets you reposition yourself and move a little closer/further away before you aim the direction/grab comes out. Also, it only has good range on the first frame it comes out which is about as much as his f-tilt, then the range is only really close to his body until the end.

People tend to exaggerate how punishable it is if you miss. It would seem like you would automatically get ***** horribly, but you can often get away without too much damage/punishment if you use the control on it as you fall well to make it tougher to tell where you're going to come down at, and also DI any hits you may take well to avoid them starting a combo. Platforms also help quite a bit to keep you safer. Considering you should only really be going for it when you expect it to connect anyway it generally isn't that big of a deal if you use it right.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity though (and this might be a longshot) are there any instances where UpB could be used to start up a combo? Like, tossing a character off a wall and into a stomp/techchase routine at low %? does that seem too unlikely with the ending lag on the move? If your opponent's not even expecting to get hit with an UpB to start, it would stand to reason they would have a tough time DIing or wallteching the first few times you do it... just kinda throwing it out there, i wont have a chance to try it for a week or so.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I'm sure this has been mentioned around these forums, but one good use for the Up-B out of shield is to attack someone behind you. If your shielding, and someone's behind you [within Up-B range], Up-B out of the shield and immediately smash the control stick in their direction.

Captain Jack does it in this video at 25 seconds in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBSomAubx4

-SHeLL

Edit: I'm pretty sure the Up-B has way to much lag to start any combo with it, no matter the percent.

SiD

Smash Master
It's a way better idea to shield grab instead of up B, so you can start a combo. Plus if they dodge, you're screwed with up B but you can still shield in time if you grabbed.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Like it's been mentioned it's very good for when they are out of your grab range, but don't have enough lag to be punished with an aerial out of shield. As Pointman Rob said, I too find myself using it most when someone crosses up through my shield. I also tend to use it more often against shorter chars that are hard to hit with a shorthop u-air or b-air on the way up.

Something to note is that you have a little bit of control on the move during the startup that lets you reposition yourself and move a little closer/further away before you aim the direction/grab comes out. Also, it only has good range on the first frame it comes out which is about as much as his f-tilt, then the range is only really close to his body until the end.

People tend to exaggerate how punishable it is if you miss. It would seem like you would automatically get ***** horribly, but you can often get away without too much damage/punishment if you use the control on it as you fall well to make it tougher to tell where you're going to come down at, and also DI any hits you may take well to avoid them starting a combo. Platforms also help quite a bit to keep you safer. Considering you should only really be going for it when you expect it to connect anyway it generally isn't that big of a deal if you use it right.
Magus, probably my favorite Ganon player. Great advice.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
i know that its better to start a combo with sield grab man but, i mean, u can use up+b to stop a pasacre.. or something like that, maybe u sould do it when somebady is shielding and u up+b to get him out..

SiD

Smash Master
It works alright if they end up behind you, but if you hesitate and miss, your wide open for way too long.

ThatOneDudeski

Smash Ace
Edit: I'm pretty sure the Up-B has way to much lag to start any combo with it, no matter the percent.
I think it's possible to start a combo with the up-b..say your at peaches castle..u have a fairly beat up jiggs..u up-b her into the wall..she hit the wall and does lil' float thing..meanwhile..you land and jump up to punish her missed tech with a u'air..then im sure you can do more with that..im not saying an up-b combo starter is 'easy' to do..but its possible..with certain characters and certain instances can also be very situational..

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Fair enough--Although an U-air might be more efficient, I guess it is possible.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
i agree that it is a very useable move, not only is it completely unexpected, it does have good range and knockback. if you wiff it then its not because they knew it was gonna happen you just messed up something. if worst comes to worst, just john it into a mindgame.

Top Bottom