• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B Out of Shield

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
So at Viridian City 9 a couple weeks ago I acciedentally up-B'd out of shield with Popo and Nana.

A peach player was D-airing on my shield, and it hit here in the middle of it EASILY

What usually happens when you try to up b out of shield: both nana and popo do there crappy (We didn't connect) animation because they're synced.

So the only way to do it correctly is: Nana and Popo HAVE TO BE DESYNCED

So if your shield is being pressured and Nana is running over to you, you can up-b OOS

Data:

• It hits on Frame 5 or 6
  • Nana is invincible the whole time - This means that it has major priority

What does this Mean?

• You can hit Peach in between the hit's of her D-air
  • You can hit MK between the hits of his f-air(If he spaces in correctly)
  • You can hit G&W between the hits of his B-air
  • You can Hit Snake it between the hits of his F-tilt(IF he spaces incorrectly)
  • You can hit Wario in between the hits of his d-air.
  • You can hit MK out of his tornado if you up-OOS right when you Powershield the tornado

some of these things need to be tested but is still an important find

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Did you factor in shield stun and shield drop frames? I don't think it's possible to do this on a PS nado based on my research. You're short 2-3 frames in that situation.

Teh Future

Smash Master
really dont understand what you're saying... whenever they are desynced and I up b they just do the 1 IC upB where you go nowhere and it has no hitbox. The moves priority also is not as good as it sounds at first glance. Nana is invincible but it will not break nado because this game is stupid and doesn't sense (unless you hit it from above lol)

B0NK

Smash Lord
Posting to subscribe.

Yeah I remember you telling me this in person.

So there seems to be no way to do it when synced, which I believe would be incredibly useful.....i got to look more into it to test some ideas I have to do this when both climbers are being shield pressured, don't believe it will work but if it does i'll post it up.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Did you factor in shield stun and shield drop frames? I don't think it's possible to do this on a PS nado based on my research. You're short 2-3 frames in that situation.
To up b out of shield you must jump and up-B on the same frame. The jump cancels your shield drop lag and the up-B cancels the jump lag thus you up-B instantly.

So there's no shield stun or shield drop frames

Edit:

@ swordgard, lol yeah

@future: you're probably correct about nado. Like I said these things need to be tested.

One more thing:

when they are synced, Popo up-Bs and then Nana up-Bs 6 frames after. Since Nana is shielding popo can't connect with her thus he does his crappy up-B and since Popo is crappy up-bing, Nana does her crappy up-B once the 6 frames end.

So you basically need to be in a situation where popo is shielding and Nana isn't

So I was thinking we may be able to dash dance deysync and run in and shield with popo and up-B as soon as the attack hit's your shield as nana slides over

DeLux

I thought jump had a 4 frame IASA. my mistake on the term.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I thought jump had a 4 frame IASA. my mistake on the term.

the jump squat animation can only be canceled by up-b and u-smash.

Sakurai put this in the game because some people play with tap jump on. Imagine what would happen if every time you tried to up-B or u-smash your character jumped and then did an u-air, or jumped and then did an aerial up-B. IT would be a horrible programming error so they made it so you can cancel the jump squat with those two moves. The fact that you are able to cancel the shield with jump makes it so up-smash OOS and up-B oos are possible.

THat's why MArth's Up-B out of shield, because they're invincible frames 1 through 5, thus if almost anything touches their shield they can up-B OOS

Also, I think jumping cancels shield stun, just like spot dodging, rolling, and grabbing

B0NK

Smash Lord
So I was thinking we may be able to dash dance deysync and run in and shield with popo and up-B as soon as the attack hit's your shield as nana slides over
I was thinking the same thing, but the problem with that is after a set run distance, nana gets close enough to buffer the shield input (the same way you can make nana airdodge, tech, and get-up attack from a set distance) meaning you'll get the same poor single climber up-b because she'll shield and cancel her run animation at that set distance (if i remember correctly she gets close enough at about running halfway across battlefield from a dash dance, remember testing it when looking into the Running Nana Desynch; a derivative of dash dance desynch)

So yeah....i gotta test when I get a chance to see what other options we may have.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Alright, keep us updated. I'm at work so I can't test

DeLux

Based on the info, this seems legit in theory. I want to do testing on this before I reach a complete conclusion. GIMR, if you get a chance at some point tomorrow, hop on the skype chat and let's discuss this real time

Edit. I wish we had posted frame data for Belay cough EA cough

swordgard

Smash Hero
Also I can attest this works, I have done it before. Its pretty much legit except vs nado its risky as hell if they move.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Okay so, you're saying that from hitlag caused in shield we can Up B OoS on multi hit attacks? Also, are you only doing jump+UpB oos or Tap Jump UpB OoS?

B0NK

Smash Lord
i believe he is saying we can only do it when desynched, because nana will drop her sheild 5 frames to late for the up b getting a sopo up b. (unless we discovered something else i missed)

and there is no difference between jump > up b without tap jump and doing jump > up b using tap jump

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
if tap jump is off you'll have to jump with X or Y

DeLux

My frame testing shows belays hit boxing on frame 16, not 5. Are you sure your premise frame data is correct?

Edit: That's synced AND desynced

And based on further frame testing, Nana doesn't get invincibility until she becomes a hitbox.

I think that means this isn't viable.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
My frame testing shows belays hit boxing on frame 16, not 5. Are you sure your premise frame data is correct?

Edit: That's synced AND desynced

And based on further frame testing, Nana doesn't get invincibility until she becomes a hitbox.

I think that means this isn't viable.
Thanks for doing the frame data, I've done it once before but didn't write it down so I must've got my stuff mixed up.

I find it weird that I was able to up-B oos shield peaches d-air

Smoom77

Smash Master
I did it with Illmatic against Peach's dair and it seemed to work but they can easily float back and not get hit.

Top Bottom