• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

up B versus over B for recovery

Powda193

Smash Journeyman
sorry if this has been discussed, but i looked around a little bit and couldnt find anything about it.

it seems like the upB and overB moves are almost identical when it comes to recovery. however, im sure there are some subtle differences.

i have noticed that it overB takes a little longer to come out than the upB... perhaps this means it has more range?
also, will opponents in your range cause either option to attack instead of going for the edge? for example, if someone is right above you, will the upB try to attack them instead of going for the edge? or vice versa, if someone is in front of u, will the overB try to attack them instead of going for the edge?

anything you all have noticed about the overB and upB moves (especailly regarding recovery) would be greatly appreciated

Purenchisu

Smash Cadet
i honestly think think over b it better because that move has a better chance of latching on to the stage then her up b i test it out and her over b is alot better in mt OPINION

Powda193

Smash Journeyman
i honestly think think over b it better because that move has a better chance of latching on to the stage then her up b i test it out and her over b is alot better in mt OPINION
do you have any support for this theory? why do u say the overB has a better chance of latching to the edge? how did u test it out?

Powda193

Smash Journeyman
Does the angle that you are at compared to the stage change this?
change what? could you be more clear?

im pretty sure if you try either upB or overB when you are above the edge, it wont go to the edge. luckily, u dont go into a freefall, so u can just do it again to grab the edge.

still tho... anyone know the pros/cons for up/overB ?????

Crimsonjassic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2049-1304
Up B has better vertical range, Side B has better horizontal range. You can test it for yourself by going to Final Destination and trying to tether an edge with both Up/Side B when you're far away horizontally and again when you're below the edge.

tldr; Side B tethers from the side, Up B tethers from below.

Powda193

Smash Journeyman
Up B has better vertical range, Side B has better horizontal range. You can test it for yourself by going to Final Destination and trying to tether an edge with both Up/Side B when you're far away horizontally and again when you're below the edge.

that makes perfect sense, thank you for the info.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Maybe both Tether recoveries dont really have any differences. Its just that it gives you the option if you want to latch on to the edge while horizontally aligned to it, or vertically.

Garde

Smash Ace
And the tether will always tether when given the chance (unless you're B-sticking and you snap cancel it by holding away or down when using the move) regardless of whether an opponent is between you and the ledge or not.

The only time this move comes out as an attack is when it cannot tether a ledge (this includes when an opponent is hanging onto a ledge, preventing you from tethering it, as well as not being in appropriate range or within the right angle for it to tether).

EDIT: This post was regarding both up+B and side+B, as they work identically for tether purposes, aside from the angular range (I believe it's < or = 45 degrees from the direction the tether comes out, though I have not tested it).

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Ok, i thought it was obvious, anyway, the up-B is for a vertical recovery, it is best here, and is where the side-B is worst, try the side-B for a horizontal recovery, as the up-B doesn't move horizontally.
Also, your down-B is another option, it can be used to counter someone who decided the ledge is theirs to hang from, or if you just want to kick your opponent Chyucku Narrus like.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman

Not to mention that with Side-B you can tether from above the stage where as with Up-B you cannot...its a good way to steal the edge when someone is trying to auto sweetspot the edge.

Doval

Smash Lord
Up-B's range is a 4 blocks below the edge x 2.5 blocks to the side rectangle. Forward B's range is a 2 blocks below the edge + 1 block above the edge x 4 blocks to the side of the edge rectangle. So yes, Side B is for horizontal tethering and Up B is for vertical tethering. There are a few subtle differences that can be discussed and should be kept in mind though.

EDIT: For clarity, by "blocks" I mean the squares in the Stage Editor grid. It's very easy to test tether range with the stage editor, just make a block floating in mid-air and then place platforms below and to the sides so you can tether to your heart's content.

If you visualize those rectangles, you'll realize that there's a dead spot below the Side B's vertical reach and beyond the Up B's horizontal reach. In that area, neither tether will reach. Avoid putting yourself in that situation at all costs.

Whether or not the tether will latch on or do its attack normally is determined on the frame that the attack comes out. That means you can start a tether move within range, but fall/move out of range before the tether actually comes out. Because the Side B is slower, it's more likely for that to happen with it. The Side B can tether from slightly above the stage as mentioned above, and 4 blocks horizontally is a lot of range, so it's safer to start the Side B higher up so you don't risk falling out of range before it comes out.

As mentioned, the Up B gives you a boost if you use it before the peak of your jump. It seems that the earlier you use it in the jump, the bigger the boost.

If you have Tap Jump ON, you'll automatically jump when you input Up B if you hadn't used your jump yet (e.g. you used Flip Jump aka Down B to get within tethering range.) This is a bad thing, because more often than not you'll essentially waste the jump since the Up B's vertical range is very long and you'll seldom need to use that jump to be within (vertical) tethering range. If you have Tap Jump OFF, or you don't smash the Analog Stick up when you input Up B (i.e. you tilt the stick instead) you can avoid jumping. This is good, because if you happen to get hit before you actually grab the edge, you'll still have your mid-air jump.

Garde

Smash Ace
Good stuff, Doval. I was messing around with it yesterday and found that there is definitely a deadzone where neither tethers will activate. I didn't go into the stage editor, though. That's a rather ingenious way of figuring out exact distances. :)

Also, I wondered why sometimes a tether would latch but I'd fall to my death (particularly with up+B while far below the stage), and what you said makes complete sense. The tether check occurs while I'm in range, but as I'm falling and go out of range by the time it comes out, making the tether unable to actually work...

Great finds, man.

FoolyCoolyGamer

Smash Cadet
Well I'm not sure my answer would be of any help. Personally I prefer using her over B instead of the Up B. Considering with Up B, it auto techs to the ledge, which is kind of bad if there's a really good edge guarder there waiting for you, like Falco who can use his down A to knock you out of it, or Kirby who can use either Final cutter or Rock to counter it. Over B works a little bit better, as it can also serve as a bit of a defensive move should someone try to KO you. Oh, also her flip jump is excellent for recovery, as you can flip over someone and use her kick safely.

Doval

Smash Lord
Garde said:
Also, I wondered why sometimes a tether would latch but I'd fall to my death (particularly with up+B while far below the stage), and what you said makes complete sense. The tether check occurs while I'm in range, but as I'm falling and go out of range by the time it comes out, making the tether unable to actually work...

Great finds, man.
Actually, that's a problem with the tether's length. It has a max length it absolutely can't exceed. If you, for example, stand at the very edge of its horizontal range but also use it low enough, it won't be long enough diagonally to connect. This problem is very easy to see with Toon Link (his Hookshot has a reach of about 1.5 blocks, and if you're 2 blocks away from the edge, it'll still try to latch on but fall short.)

If you fall out of tethering range right before your tether comes out, you get the attack version of the move, which is often fatal for you at such low altitudes >_> Also, no prob.

Garde

Smash Ace
Hmm. So do you know what happens when you tether onto the ledge but it immediately disconnects (like you had exhausted the 3 tethers without actually exhausting them)? Is that where the tether comes out, but before it latches you fall too far to actually latch so it disconnects and you fall? It's happened to me many times while I'm under the stage without exhausting 3 tethers (as it happens on the first tether).

Doval

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's most likely what's happening. The distance range where that can happen is really small but I've seen it occur. I've had it happen to me too.

Top Bottom