• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-Smash is a spike Òó ?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion

Yesterday i played Brawl with 2 friends (online) when suddenly that happned ôÔ

What do you think happened ? Maybe Up-Smash is a spike :psycho:

Luigi = Benne
Samus = SFY
Fox = Me (xDD)

German smashers ftw ^^

MFG xDD

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
thats happened to me the other day when i was facing my mates MK. it might just be wierd DI or sumthin but it is possible it could be a spike.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
A bunch of his moves do that, I've also done it with U-Tilt, D-Smash off a platform, and F-Smash. How I did I have no idea, and I can never replicate it.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Yes Benne spiked me one time with Nair Òó

It seems like every of Luigis Moves have a spike sweetspot xD

Eten

Smash Ace
Yup it's a "spike". It's just like slamming your head downwards on a soccer ball, you're going to nail it into the ground(I used to do it all the time IRL. On accident. With my face.). It's the last part of the up-smash move, on the last part of the arc for luigi's head.

Ahh... not really useful, however. I've played around with a running upsmash edgeguard looking for a spike- I had it happen to me ONCE w/ just a friend- but I've never landed it. It just doesn't extend out the right way to really use it over an edge with the autosweetspot mechanics. Unless there is something I'm missing and I'm just bad at using it, always a possibility.

P.S. The whole "spike" thing with a move like this is not without precedent. Sheik's dash attack has her bringing her head down on the last part too, which can spike people just like Luigi's Upsmash. Complete with the "extremely hard to hit with" part, may actually be harder. Hits like that were way more common in melee though(Pikachu's uair 'spike'), just a different way hitboxes hit each other in brawl, I think.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
thats cause if you notice it only hits downwards a couple of frames , so basically for it to spike you have to hit an opponent with the top of your hat at the end of the attack

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
hey, samus jumped didnt she? well mabey if you edge guarded with it, try it with the opponent off the edge and... spike :laugh:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hay, eten's actually online for like more then 5mins :laugh: But yeah Luigi's upsmash on last part of it should be heading downwards almost like a headbutt. Really, I'd count on throwing a taunt spike than using upsmash spiking lol.

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
ive seen people bounce off air before... so maybe this could be part of it. but this was on a hacked wii for no tripping, 360 camera, losers vengeance, and unlimited record time.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i really wish we could view frame and hitbox data by debugging it liek we could in melee.

Eten

Smash Ace
She didn't smash DI into the ground. She simply got spiked into the ground out of the air. Slow down the GIF and it becomes obvious.

vKo

Smash Cadet
All of Luigi's moves are spikes. xD

That and, I see the OP got eliminated well before any of that went down?
What happened?
lol

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I wouldn't call it a spike just yet.

On Pokemon Stadium there is a "ledge" exactly where Samus is standing at. Chances are Luigi just smashed her into that "ledge" and caused her to bounce down.

In other words, it's a glitch.

PoisonMist

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't call it a spike just yet.

On Pokemon Stadium there is a "ledge" exactly where Samus is standing at. Chances are Luigi just smashed her into that "ledge" and caused her to bounce down.

In other words, it's a glitch.
OMGAWD I never really considered that possibility.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Do you think that the samus was trying to jump and down air? That would be the sdi that would send her downwards. The same thing happens here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHOnAlZqQ3Y

Its obvious that he was trying to down smash.
All signs point to I was right. Dance with me, people.
*does the cripple breakdance*
Rickety Cricket Time!! Oh! Oh, oh, oh! Oh!

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
That was...wiird.

Maybve usefull ins some way...maybe you just found a new AT...it looks pretty hard 2 pull of however.

Also hiow do u do the sliding usmash?

CQC_SNAKE

Smash Cadet
this is the only reason i dont think its a spike is because a spike is a move that no matter the damage it sends u with considerable force in that direction.as fo luigi's up b think about how far it sends u at 0% basically nowhere.:snake:'s down spike can k.o ppl at like 10 or less.if wut ur saying is true an upward smash attack could be considerd a SPIKE.lol

Eten

Smash Ace
I tried a bunch to recreate it.

I couldn't.

Until in a match I had it happen again- in the same place where the opponent was short hopping into a dair...

So I think differently now and I say it is likely smash DI and not a spike. Despite the fact that I've been knocked at a weird/low trajectory before with this move, it being smash DI is the most likely probability and there is no downwards knockback component of Luigi's upsmash.

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
Luigi would be an amazing volley ball player.
He can spike with every part of his body

WIGI

Smash Champion
ive done it on battlefeild tho, and he got spiked to death, like, i was standing on the edge, he was recovering, and i spike him with it.. recovering people would be holding up.... so i dunno if this is smash di. unfortunatly the match was 3:07 so i could't record. friggen guy wouldn't die fast enough/

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i think its that invisible ceiling glitch that i saw in melee

ive done it before with up smash and f-smash, and once up tilt

odd combo, up tilt (into group) tap a lock

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I've done it before, I think that it's just the last part of his upsmash on the botom half of the hitbox, only on aerial opponents. I firmly believe this to be the case, and whether you want to call it a spike or a meteor-smash, that's just semantecs.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Meteor Smash can be recovered almost immediately, either by jumping or doing your UpB.

Spikes can't be meteor recovered until the hitlag is gone.

Ever Meteor Smash in SSB64 was a spike, and only certain peeps in Melee had a spike otherwise (like Marth).

I don't think there are any true spikes in Brawl because of that, but I could be wrong. People use the words interchangeably a lot (I know I do).

WIGI

Smash Champion
taunt spike is a spike. acualy everything in brawl is a spike, theres just hardly any hitlag.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Gotcha, I guess you are right about them all being spikes which means Mario has a spike, his fair, but the hitlag is so much shorter than a spike in Melee.

Top Bottom