• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up smash

Mars-

Smash Champion
I am determined to make this a usefull attack before brawl. I'll post my progress. So far, up smash is a nice shield for arials hitting you from above, it stays out a long time and is a disjointed hitbox. Fast fallers can get caught in this too, and get hit by every hit. If they are on a platform, they get dragged into all the hits sometimes.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
how bout, it's like a victory laugh in their face doing dmg

if you pull it out and they get hit by all of it or even some of it, they might as well quit the match now and lose a stock or two

AIDS

Smash Lord
yes it can be funny, but mindgame? it is same idea, you do not mindgame them into anything and i do not see it being very usefull or as consistant as a regular up-B, it would just be funny, for laughs, cause also it is not hard to DI it so you can not combo them.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
If they're on a platform above you, or you think they're gonna land up there, can hit them with the last hit of usmash and combo from there. Opponents don't know jack about usmash and they won't expect it, so they won't know where to DI

AIDS

Smash Lord
If they're on a platform above you, or you think they're gonna land up there, can hit them with the last hit of usmash and combo from there. Opponents don't know jack about usmash and they won't expect it, so they won't know where to DI
mars says he wishes to make it somthing he does all the time in his styles of samus, therefor it will be predictable, and also Up-B you can't do anything about pretty much, and if they are above you on a platform, why would you upsmash out fo sheild, i would rather jump with an Nair, or wavedash on the platform into a smash, or MAYBE even a grab, samus has so much better options.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The up smash is worthless and, if I had the ability, I would replace it with the up tilt. Too many times do you hit them with it and they get out of the hitlag before you are out of the animation, thus leading to you getting comboed instead. Plus, the attack can get hit through by a lot of moves by a lot of characters.

I hate that move.

AIDS

Smash Lord
lol well said coreygames, trying to Up smash to start a combo is ********, samus has so much better options to do out of sheild, i only see upsmash outa sheild being good for like fox, or pikechu...

Mars-

Smash Champion
Up smash stays out for a long *** time, it is a good shield type move. Yeah there isn't a follow up, but the stun is good enough. Adding it to my style doesn't mean spamming it, it simply means using it when the time is right. I have no intentions of using it as a power attack that I can spam like up and b.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Up smash stays out for a long *** time, it is a good shield type move. Yeah there isn't a follow up, but the stun is good enough. Adding it to my style doesn't mean spamming it, it simply means using it when the time is right. I have no intentions of using it as a power attack that I can spam like up and b.
it is slower though, so you could get owned if perdeicted, i think best use would be vs falcon, cause up B out of sheild on him is not the best idea, im not saying your spaming it but using it to replace up B out of sheil i do not think would be the best of ideas, but it would helps vs falcon though.

Mars-

Smash Champion
it is slower though, so you could get owned if perdeicted, i think best use would be vs falcon, cause up B out of sheild on him is not the best idea, im not saying your spaming it but using it to replace up B out of sheil i do not think would be the best of ideas, but it would helps vs falcon though.
I think your confused a bit, I'm not trying to replace any move, simply make one useful.

AIDS

Smash Lord
but in your style, do you not upB under shield presure? and almost any situation you woud use this, up B out of sheild would work better i think, so if i am taking this wrong please fill me in.

Rat

Smash Lord
This is a good idea. We should all work on applying or emphasizing moves in our current samus styles. Then we can all combine our powers to form captain samus. She will be unstoppable. I'm determined to make the shield a useful attack before brawl. Soon I'll be a shield master and the shield will be way too good.

Jasona

Smash Ace
the only time i ever use the usmash is after i FF a fair (popping someone in the air), spin around to put my back to them and usmash so that only the last hit or two will connect. its like dtilting someone, only it starts higher off the ground. its rare to be in the right position though

AIDS

Smash Lord
im sure Dilt is a better option for that, but i hate it when i upsmash instead of Utilt, it is so enoying yet funny at times, it is rare but whenit happens it like ruins your edgeguard.

rat...LMAO your a funny guy, sheild is way under rated =P

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think at this point in the game, it really doesn't matter. If there was some amazing Up Smash revelation that could be preformed and then implemented in a tournament before Brawl came out, then I would seriously apologize for what I'm about to say:

DON'T WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME! Why spend meaningless hours spent on trying to make a pathetic move awesome? Why doesn't Fox use his fire fox to attack opponents more? Because 9/10 times there isa better move with less risk and more reward. Finding a situation, a purpose, or even a morbid, doubtful idea of a place to try to use her upsmash will probably only result in utter failure. What character wold you use it against? Fast fallers go right through it and nail you. Floaties Di out and come to the same conclusion. The only way that you could possibly make it work is on the other players inability to DI or, in general, play the game. That is not a risk I'm willing to make.

It's not a lot of damage, you are left open for an extreme amount of time, it can be attacked through, it doesn't hit around all at the same time, it doesn't stop a lot of moves, it doesn't combo into much, and its existence alone sometimes gets in the way of an up tilt or up air! The entire move is a blemish on Samus' move set. Why you are even compelled to go on this crusade, if not to fulfill a bet, is foreign to me. Why not spend time working on damage % data for moves, figure out the best time to use certain moves on specific characters? That would be more progressive and help more people. The up smash is a dead move, and by that I mean it leads to YOUR death.

AIDS

Smash Lord
i would agree with corey games, people do not under rate Up Smash, bottem line it is just a bad move, ill stick to my other tactics, but mars if you do wish to waiste your time go ahead and do so. but i sugest to just stick with the regular good tactics.

Watty

Smash Lord
k jasona is right the only way to link it is to use a forward air, and than they have to be at the rihgt percent to get popped up high enough to go into it.

i was playing a couple weeks ago did it on accident and when it hits u can do so many things to them cause there stunned. problem is its hard to do im pretty sure they have to di the correct way and when u do hit it u have to kno what to do.

ive done it to fox and falco so far and not bad ones people i didnt do this to random mofo's so dont say that.

bottom line it can work is it risky yes but so is doing a samus missile wall on platorms and not MC on the platform as u see them running at u. or up b and missing. if ur at low percents with samus u can take a little damage i wouldnt spam it but it does lead to things its juss really hard to do

AIDS

Smash Lord
but upsmash is hard to fallow up on unless you are like fighting noobs, up smash is nothing amazing, it is also lagy toward the end, so if you miss, you can get punished.

Top Bottom