• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-Tilts in Brawl

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
I always found up-tilts very hard to pull off in Melee. I had heard rumors that you can turn off the "up = jump" feature in Brawl. Is this true?

Does anyone else hav trouble with up-tilts in Melee? Can someone give me some hints?

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you can turn it off. As for melee UTilits, I have problems as well. I think you should just try doing it lightly instead of pushing the stick too hard.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
yeah up-tilts are gonna be so easy since you can turn off up jump

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
How can turning off Tap Jump make Up Tilts any easier? The only failure case I can see involving a botched Up Tilt would be doing an Up Smash instead.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
You may not want to turn tap-jump off. Tap jump can make certain manuevers much easier, for example, say they're right above you, with one quick motion (Tap jump, hold the stick there and push A) you can hit them more quickly than hitting X then athe up aerial.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
How can turning off Tap Jump make Up Tilts any easier? The only failure case I can see involving a botched Up Tilt would be doing an Up Smash instead.
Sometime I would press up too early causing my char to jump.

This mostly bothered me with young link, **** jumping sword spins.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer

That sounds like a personal control issue. And you're not pressing it "early" you're pressing it too hard/fast.

I've yet to see a hard argument over why Tap Jump ON is entirely advantageous that isn't because of personal control issues.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
That sounds like a personal control issue. And you're not pressing it "early" you're pressing it too hard/fast.

I've yet to see a hard argument over why Tap Jump ON is entirely advantageous that isn't because of personal control issues.
Well then its just my personal flaw, at the end of the day I am still glad I can turn it off :)

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
Well said Falco-san, about time I see someone not flipping out over a rude comment.

RyokoYasa, you might not have problems, but others might. I ask that you try to be considerate in your posts.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Exactly my problem... Does anyone have tips on fixing that?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who's being insensitive? If you haven't taken the time to practice up tilts without flipping out on the controller then I have every reason to ask why you need it. Tap Jumps OFF in principle really do not make up tilts any easier. If you move the control stick up too fast when attempting to up tilt, you'll Up Smash. The Tap Jump setting will not change that.

If you preemptively hold the stick up and press A a bit later to time an up tilt, you can just as easily not slam the control stick too fast or use a partial "tilt." There is no reason to use a "Smash" motion on the control stick with a delayed up tilt. This is not hard with a bit of practice. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is.

I cannot ever see myself turning off Tap Jumps. The ease of being able to Up Smash and Up+B out of shield with it on is too valuable. The only thing I can see them making easier is falling Up+Bs, or up aerials which are easily taken care of with C-stick.

-And NeoZ, you either have to move the stick up slower than you are, or use a small tilt up. You really only barely have to move the stick upwards to get up tilts to come out while never registering jumps or Up Smashes.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You may not want to turn tap-jump off. Tap jump can make certain manuevers much easier, for example, say they're right above you, with one quick motion (Tap jump, hold the stick there and push A) you can hit them more quickly than hitting X then athe up aerial.
Speak for yourself, b/c I have no problem doing what you just said by using the X button instead.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

OMG This bothered me so much too. I never had any problems messing up the utilts in melee, but when I played link or young link, I messed up LOTS of times doing an aerial upB instead of a ground upB. It didn't make sense to me why it happened. I'm just happy I can turn tap jumps off too. I never used it.

And if I want to pull off an Uair instantly after jumping I'll just press A. It's right next to the jump button.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
-And NeoZ, you either have to move the stick up slower than you are, or use a small tilt up. You really only barely have to move the stick upwards to get up tilts to come out while never registering jumps or Up Smashes.
Thanks, but can I do that in melee too? Or is it due to Brawl being more sensitive?
EDIT: I tried it in Melee and realized it was my controller that made me up smash( MadCatz Micro), but it worked perfectly with my regular gamecube one. So... thanks.

Chro

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to see what I like, as I'm going to use the Wiimote+Nunchuck, and the C button (jump) is pretty easy to press. I'll see what works.

Top Bottom