• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*UPDATED* Sonic Stage/Counterpick Discussion *Discuss PS1 + New BF Rewrite*

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm sorry you had bad experiences there KASr, Picto, while certainly not his best stage, isn't his worst either... probably somewhere in the middle I say.

And remember how I said a long time ago how I would contribute to Pmn Stad I?

Well, what is there to say? On the Rock and Fire transformations, you get a lot of breathing time, and if you really feel like it (and you're placed at the right spot), you can drop Springs for some pressure... granted it's not good, but it's better than nothing.

The ceiling is really high, but strangely enough it's still not hard to kill that way.

The Windmill/Water stage sets up for jab-locks rather easily.

Nothing special about this stage otherwise I say.

If you want, there's this, I believe I demonstrated somewhat well what the stages offer... sure I didn't do anything jaw-dropping, and where I side-taunted a whole bunch, I could've assaulted, but it was a friendly and unlike this match, I really wasn't given too much of a chance to perfectly showcase everything possible on the stage... but then again there's more to Pkmn Stad I than there is on Brinstar, so what do you want from me? XD

Edit: I've been had!

Browny

Smash Hater
PS1 is the worst legal stage in the game

I dont think ive witnessed a single game on PS1 which hasnt degenerated into wall/tree/windmill camping for excessive amounts of time.

infomon

Smash Scientist
PS1 is soooo fuuuuuun
windmill shinnannigans are top tirez

Pictochat is great with Sonic cuz we iSDR from both sides (and many transformations lol, but that's not as useful), and also we're good at avoiding / not getting messed by the transformations. I wouldn't want to be Bowser on that stage tho.

NNID
MasterHavik
PS1 is soooo fuuuuuun
windmill shinnannigans are top tirez

Pictochat is great with Sonic cuz we iSDR from both sides (and many transformations lol, but that's not as useful), and also we're good at avoiding / not getting messed by the transformations. I wouldn't want to be Bowser on that stage tho.
But all the gimmicks mess with our game. Pictochat is evil for any characters I play.

NNID
MasterHavik
All the gimmicks mess with your game. Pictochat is evil for any characters you play.

'nuff said :laugh:
Very funny my friend. I like gimmicks and all, but this stage is a slap in the face. But it made me wonder about something. Would this be a good stage to cp agaisnt MK?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I feel a little bit more comfortable with FD than Picto for "anti-MK."

But you know most ban that stage anyway so whatever.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
mkay, PS1 seems like it's wrapping up here.

If anyone feels the urge to put in their closing thoughts for this stage, go for it. I'll be updating soon and moving on.

:093:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I really like PKMN stad 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQWCQgWFIWY

Skip to 2:40 LOL
LOL That's almost as good as ITT's jab lock on Green Greens against Nope.

On topic, I just started to like PS1 a few weeks ago. (It's also a neutral over here lol)

It's good to have a stage where Sonic can work, but not have to worry about projectiles slowing him down all the time. There than that, it's just a matter of who can take advantage of the stage better.

As a neutral, I love it. But as a CP, unless I'm fighting D3, I'll always stick to Castle Siege.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Are you guys going to list all of the cool gimmicky things that can be done on this stage? I know its only useful in a real match rarely, but there are alot of weird slopes on this stage that allow for awesome and awful spindash tricks. Like being able to slide forward while charging a smash?

Even though its not relevant to counterpicking.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
that's not a bad idea. I usually do mention things like that, but if I ever forget any please make sure to let me know!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
PS1 sure has shenanigans, really easily sets up jab locks, lol

so like, maybe once I'm not so busy with school/being lazy in free time I'll update this soon.

NNID
MasterHavik
PS1 is awesome steak for Sonic, but PS2 isn't a good place for Sonic. Most of the stage changes don't help in a good way( ice stage and lgihting stage are hell). Even thoguh this palce has awesome, I won't be cping it at any big trouenys when I want to win. Overall, PS2 isn't a strong Sonic stage due to some of the stage changes if you ask me.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Why, what exactly is wrong with PS2?

seriously, I see no reason for it to be banned. I just don't know anyone who likes it, lol.

Browny

Smash Hater
Have you actually tried to play a competitive match on that stage?

It makes me want to kill things

Tesh

Smash Hero
When you Side B on the mounds in the grass area, sonic stops on the other side of the mound and SDRs in place. No idea what that is, but its pretty cool to do instead of iSDR sometimes. There are a few places with uneven ground where you will be momentarily in the air so you can shield cancel SD. ISDJ on many of the slopes will make you just slide up like on corneria able to do anything. If you dash back the way you started its like moonwalking. The rock formation seems to be downright awkward in any matchup.

If you guys are talking about PS2, I find it necessary to mention the only good things I have ever liked about that stage are sliding around with Usmash on the ice.

And I have on 2 occasions landed an awesome Usmash-fair/bair-footstool combo on the treadmills. Treadmills cancel the Usmash and you pretty much throw your opponent offstage to yourself and stagespike em.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
A state here in Australia has PS2 as a legal counterpick

you may start laughing.... now
I don't see why that's a problem. PS2 has been a counterpick in Texas for awhile.

It's just that NOONE picks it. Ever.

I guess playing on Ice, Wind, and Treadmills is just annoying for people.
I might counterpick it one day.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Good question.

Thoughts?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That's a good idea. We all seem to have a lot of varying views on RC. I think it can make for a great CP against certain characters (All Snakes ban RC though D:< rawr).

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
RC now? I think sonic is pretty good at RC, but only because he has uber recovery powers. I really dislike this stage, and MKs own at it. I think i hate it so much cause there's so much changing, and it's too easy to get KO'd off the sides at like the last part of RC (not sure how the numbering goes, but part 3 i think?). I say it's good to fight anyone that has a lesser recovery than sonic on RC, but anyone with better recovery, be wary..

Oh, and fight ZSS here! And Olimar! Tether recoveries are hindered at part 2 (after the cruise ship). I always get my butt kicked on RC when i play as ZSS, and it's always because of that part and the recovery. Maybe i just suck at ZSS, but i think the tether recovery has something to do with the losing too.

CeroPhantom

Smash Cadet
K, I'd enjoy seeing this revived, because I wanna know where Sonic stands on Lylat, Halberd and other stages that haven't been covered.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We actually should go over them, since they seem to be such good CPs for Snake... and since you can't ban one of the other... :/

Preferably though, I think Halberd gets more Use than Lylat. Not even for the short of "camouflage" Lylat provides for Snake (and Black G&W).

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Alright, I guess I'll open the discussion on Halberd now, since it seems to be a quite important stage which we still haven't done yet.

Halberd

I never worried about playing on this stage. It doesn't give you killing advantages, since Sonic almost never kills off top, however, the ancient Spring > U-air (still no one but Sonic mains DI backwards <_<) works well there, killing at the lowest possible % for it to work.
You will kill off the sides, but the sides are not too far away, it's about as far as Battlefield or Final Destination, nothing ridiculous.

I don't like the first (flying) part of the stage as much, because of the uneven ground. Recovering for Sonic is very easy there, because he can go well understage and Spring up. If you can time it right you can go for lagless airwalk and immedeatly hit them. Recovering for others also became easier, except for a few chars with extremely laggy up-B's (they need the edge)
You can drop from the ledge there and spinshot right onto the big platform, often ending up behind them. This is good to get out of annoying ledge situation.
Usmash trough the platform is great for ****** shields and spotdodges. It's generally good here.

Second part of the stage is more in my favor, but that is because I use lots of ASC-cancel, which is more effective on flat parts, or at least where the platform doesnt cover all off the stage. Lots of room to run around and use your Sonic-stalling.
Usmash and U-air work well here, as with the first part.

Hazards should pose no problem, just run/spin/spring away. This stage makes it relatively easy to stage spike, and the edges pop you up so that you can't get stuck under the edge (unless you're all the way down under the lip).

Top Bottom