• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate Battle Series- Next Battle: September 15th!

Max?

Smash Champion
I throw a lot of pills at Peach. She either gets hit by them or she doesn't. I hit you with bair and uair a lot. Eventually you get to like 80ish, then I dthrow you and win

D

Deleted member

have to agree at the marth thing. marth can have a really hard time with a shield campy doc, but it takes a lot of finesse on the doc player's end.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
oh shoot sorry guys, i'll have the ruleset up by tonight. i got it somewhere on my comp, just gotta post it. hype people, hype

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Wow good stuff with this Jesiah. Melee and Brawl too? *cries* ill try to come up to one of these during the summer for both games if it is still going on then.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ruleset for Melee is up, gotta wait to consult with Goggles for Brawl ruleset.

Making kind of a long post right now, just gonna freestyle write it as it comes to me. Just wanna document where my head is at at age 22 and where I'm at in my Melee career so when I'm older I can look back on it.

Wow, it's April of 2012 and I'm still not only playing this game, but about to hold a tournament for it. Hahaha, I always knew that when I watched that first Ken video in December of 06 and posted on the Arena boards trash talking everyone, that it wasn't just a phase.

I really love this ****. Like, really. Improving at this game is one thing that will always give me a fulfilled feeling, no matter what's going on in my life. I had a really messed up childhood, to the point where I almost didn't have a chance at success in the long run. In life, I mean. I barely made it out of high school, and when I say barely, I mean I got kicked out of my school district and sent to a ****** school, got held back a year in that school, and then when it was time for me to graduate a year late, I didn't have enough work done, but they pushed me through anyways because my teachers thought I was a good kid and they liked me.

I remember my first year at my ****** school, is when I got into Melee. FINALLY! I had a ****ing purpose in life. Up until then I had no direction in life at all. I just played games, watched cartoons, ****ed my girlfriend(s), played basketball and chilled with my friends.

But for the first time ever, I had something that I cared enough about to WORK towards. Even though my life didn't have any aspect to it that represented hard work, I was still a VERY prideful kid. That's one thing that I'll never give up, is my pride, because without it I'd be nowhere. My pride is what kept me coming back after I used to get stomped out for hours on end for almost a year straight by various different people.

Good thing I met Goodies. Goodies man, Kelvin Mutha ****in Peek. The man who REALLY ran Arena 51. When I first posted on the Arena boards, everyone laughed at me and trashed me and even hated me. I felt ridiculously alienated and hated. I mean, I can see where everyone else was coming from.

Here was a kid who had never played competitive Melee before and came onto these boards and started **** talking everyone, saying I was gonna beat everyone, when these people in my region, unknowingly to me, were experienced Melee players who knew all the advanced techniques at the time and had already competed nationally on multiple occasions.

But look, I NEVER lived in the real world! This is a concept that most people can't grasp. Life to me up until a couple years ago was pretty much an Anime/Video game. I didn't care about anything normal people did, but my persona was pretty much based completely around game/anime characters I idolized. I mean, what do you expect? I never went to school or did anything normal besides have a hott girlfriend, and even then I thought that was the girl I was supposed to marry and protect forever.

So when I saw Melee and I had such a deep love and passion for it, OF COURSE IT WAS ALL I WAS GONNA DO! And when I met Goodies at Arena, he accepted me fully for who I was, and crazily enough, he ALWAYS HAD FAITH IN ME, NO MATTER WHAT.

Kelvin and I got close, REAL quick. For about 8 months he lived with me actually. My life consisted of going to ****** school at 7AM, sleeping throughout my school day, going home at 3 to Kelvin practicing Peach, him driving us to Arena by 4, me sleeping till 6, and then staying up from that point on ALL NIGHT until I had school, practicing and getting *****.

Arena became my home for a while, and Melee my life. All I wanted to do was become the best.

So life went on, there were CRAZY up's and downs including broken relationships, 3 business opportunities failed and gone down the drain, me moving out of my house at the ripe age of 19 into an apartment, bad decisions good decisions, etc.

Melee was always there though. For about a year, when I worked at an inbound sales center, I was a prisoner on the phones, my only goal to sell sell sell. And sell I did, and I was BEAST at it. That's my pride baby. Never wanna be less than the best at ANYTHING I do. But even when on the phones, I was always writing down new techniques to try out, new concepts to test. Things to work on, vids to watch.

And as soon as I walked home, sometimes BEFORE I even changed, the first thing I did was turn on Melee and begin to practice, until I fell asleep.

Most people underestimate just how much I've played this game. I think I'm probably in the top 10 for pure hours spent in Melee. And while I'm really proud of that, it's also been one of the biggest emotional obstacles I've ever had to deal with in my life.

I mean, IN MY MIND, I should be one of the very best right now. I know everything, I can execute everything, my Marth is unlike any Marth out there. My level of expertise is so far beyond what most people would even believe about me.

But there's one problem in the Melee world with the above statement. See, in the world of Melee, we have this philosophy called NO JOHNS. No johns basically means that no one gives a **** about how good you are or how amazing you are with your character. No. The only thing that matters is TOURNEY RESULTS.

And what's really funny is how much I FULLY EMBRACE the No Johns mindset, but fail to execute it. I'm the epitome of an under performer. I just can't manage to play to my potential. No matter what I try. Never has there been a tournament where I've played as good as I normally play. I'm usually at 65% in tournaments.

And for YEARS I've tried so many different things, and now I'm still trying. There's no excuses in Melee. None. If you can't win in tournament, then GTFO and figure out a way. Ruthless, cold. **** it, and **** anyone who doesn't play by this mindset. Even me. I'm no exception to the mindset I came to love and live by when I was younger.

So let's fast forward to today. Goodies is in Afghanistan, in a couple of days my car will be on the road (something I never thought I'd ever have) and I'll look for a second job. I'm in better shape than I've ever been in, and better shape than most people I know. I have business plans that I've been workin on for almost a year now, almost ready to execute them. I still struggle with execution and consistency in Melee. I'm better than I've ever been in my life at this game, and I still play nearly everyday for at least a couple of hours. I'm holding a tournament in my apartment, inviting my enemies into home (enemies in the game, friends IRL) and although I've recently been focusing on other aspects of my life, when I picture myself playing in this tournament, it all comes back to me.

That feeling of wanting to win so bad, that feeling of wanting to be the best at at least something in my life. And that feeling is so familiar to me, that if I dwell on it long enough and intensely enough, I remember who I am. I remember everything that Melee gave me to get me to where I am today in life and I'm mad grateful.

I guess that's about it. You don't even need to comment if you don't want to, I usually just post these things now for myself and for my region to see since I'm tight with all of them, but actually this post inspired me to write one in Melee discussion, so maybe I will...

Anyways, I'll be giving it my all this tournament. That's part of the reason I chose Goggles to T.O. it, although I'm technically hosting it. No johns for me as a player. I hope everyone else is just as ready to go.

huMps

Smash Ace
Next big tourney you go to I'm sure *****es will recognize! Your marth is right up with that m2k level when it comes to comboing and tech skill.

This only strengthens my belief that you can not be an athletic person though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If your really that good, than I feel better.

I used to think that I was trash cause I was getting rofl stomped, and consistently 2-3 stocked (i dont let people 4 stock me, no matter how good they are) by some no name random (at least on a national recognition scale)

But now I dont have to feel as bad because I know you are national class, so it doesnt bother me, no matter how bad you beat me (though I still wont let people 4 stock me, no matter what)

Me and Neil still gon body you in doubles though.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Kyle - no worries man. believe it or not i learned a lot from you about smash, and we even share a lot of the same philosophies. I read your FB post and i feel you man, it can get really hard sometimes. Ther'es not much to say at this point for either of us lol, we just gotta make it happen for our region or move on with life and focus on other areas. but yo hit me up on facebook chat so we can go over the brawl ruleset.

Oh and also, if you guys thought my above post was long and cheesy, just wait till you see my melee discussion one LOL

Also, VERY IMPORTANT! Whoever is bringing setups, PLEASE POST NOW. I need confirmation and a count.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
alright, after looking over the schedule here, Im going to need to get a head count here.

In the interest of moving everything along at the pace at which we need to get stuff done, I ask that everyone who is planning on coming to this tournament, whether you have said so already or not, post here now and tell me who you plan on bringing and what if any equipment you plan to bring along.

PLEASE BRING SET UPS.

Edit: this post is retroactive to include the two posts above it.

Sharky

Smash Master
at the moment I cannot confirm nor deny my attendance. I need to figure out A: money and B: How long a state lifeguard exam I'm taking that morning will last.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Haha, thanks. And also btw I have my car with me now so I won't have any issues getting to Rochester. I'm hoping to take a full car of Ithaca smashers, and depending on who ends up coming we may be bringing another full setup in addition to mine.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Once again, I NEED EVERYONE to post whether they are attending or not AND what set ups/equipment you are bringing, EVEN IF youve posted such info in the thread already, DO IT AGAIN. Use as much detail as possible. anything that can be detached, make a seperate note of.

Jesse, how many set ups do you have in the apartment?

Ill be bringing:
1-2 large tube tvs.
Wii
Brawl
2 Controllers
Melee
Melee Memory card.
Unusable Gamecube (fagget cura lost my power cord like a douche)

Nintendude, can you be more specific as to what you mean by 'full set up'?

Top Bottom